Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

That sounds amazing! It took you only 5 minutes to style daily?
I went on vacay back in May and got my hair cornrowed. It was HORRIBLE. So tight I almost cried. My scalp was on fire so badly that I took the braids down on the day I left before I caught my flight. I knew it was so tight b/c it took a few weeks for my scalp to feel back to normal and not as irritated. I'm just afraid of doing my natural hair on vacay but next vacay I think I want to skip the braids. Only two things I can think of is maybe doing two big twists going back and using some gel/mousse to smooth down or maybe a wet bun if my hair were longer.
How about a puff? That’s fairly low maintenance, unless you’re planning to go swimming.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
That sounds amazing! It took you only 5 minutes to style daily?
I went on vacay back in May and got my hair cornrowed. It was HORRIBLE. So tight I almost cried. My scalp was on fire so badly that I took the braids down on the day I left before I caught my flight. I knew it was so tight b/c it took a few weeks for my scalp to feel back to normal and not as irritated. I'm just afraid of doing my natural hair on vacay but next vacay I think I want to skip the braids. Only two things I can think of is maybe doing two big twists going back and using some gel/mousse to smooth down or maybe a wet bun if my hair were longer.
:yep: I did the laziest wash and go ever, rinsed out my conditioner and added a smidge of Uncle Funky’s in the shower, then some ecostyler on top when I got out. I let it air dry, but that Uncle Funky’s is so key: stops the dripping.

I can’t wait to get a sizable bun so my routine can be even simpler. I just can’t do tension on my poor lil edges at this length. Your two flat twists idea sounds so pretty!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Aisha needs to get some wetline or some other heavier gel and call it a day :look: :lol: but seriously, i really don’t feel that Chicagoland is experiencing any extra special humidity right now.

Either way, she should chill a lil bit. Her hair truly looks quite gorgeous to me with the volume! It’s a different look than the usual laid down look and that’s okay. Summer will soon be over anyways, unfortunately. :cry:

GettingKinky

Post any pictures you have saved of what you’re interested in! Would love to see.
I have so many saved pictures. My preferences keep changing.

here is my long term goal
06114B04-64BC-499D-86B3-F626444B9DD2.png

I really like this one, but I don’t want to cut my hair so short
7016ABF9-356F-49A3-8D32-753BD0B6406A.jpegAnd I like the way this cut looks from the back and side, but I don’t like the way it looks in the front so that’s a big problemD91CC315-2FA5-4814-B2B1-B4E6D17A10DC.jpeg

faithVA

I have so many saved pictures. My preferences keep changing.

here is my long term goal
View attachment 473665

I really like this one, but I don’t want to cut my hair so short
View attachment 473667And I like the way this cut looks from the back and side, but I don’t like the way it looks in the front so that’s a big problemView attachment 473669
Just show her your long term goal. It should be cut based on that shape so it grows into it.

And it is fine for you to tell her you are only ready to cut off 1 to 1.5 inches and over time you will cut it to be in that shape. It is OK to gradually cut.

Looking at those last two and just having experienced my last taper cut, I would say you wouldn't be happy with either of those. I wouldn't bring a taper idea into the picture at all :nono: Bobbs (sp) are OK. Tapers are a big NO. :imo:

faithVA

@faithVA @toaster

I don’t want a taper, I just like how “clean” they look. My ends get scraggly so fast and I’m wondering if I had more of a shape if it would look “polished” for longer between cuts.

You guys are probably right. I should only show her my long term goal. Maybe she can do a shorter version of that style.
I like the way they look too. I just wish I could do a puff, a bun, flat twists, something else :lol: But nope. Just stuck wearing a head wrap on bad hair days :sad:

Show her your long term and talk about it. You don't have to decide anything now. You don't have to get any shape at all.

Think of it this way. If you just get 1" cut now and you have to wait 4 to 6 months for a shape, what have you lost? Just 6 months.
But if you get it cut now and you aren't really sure, you are looking at a year to grow it out. So don't rush it. Do only what you are sure about.

GettingKinky

The very first time I got a curly cut I went to a Deva stylist and I showed her this picture as my long term goal.
I think she ended up cutting my crown too short, but my hair was also in terrible shape back then. I was washing with baking soda which was killing my cuticles, and I had just finished experimenting with oil rinsing. So I don’t totally blame her since she had a difficult canvas to start with.

I showed her this and I got the picture below.
B7B00B98-0204-45EB-B99F-B6BC0115B6D2.png0AFC6FDC-5D40-4CBB-81D7-19E3667E0FC5.jpeg

GettingKinky

I like the way they look too. I just wish I could do a puff, a bun, flat twists, something else :lol: But nope. Just stuck wearing a head wrap on bad hair days :sad:

Show her your long term and talk about it. You don't have to decide anything now. You don't have to get any shape at all.

Think of it this way. If you just get 1" cut now and you have to wait 4 to 6 months for a shape, what have you lost? Just 6 months.
But if you get it cut now and you aren't really sure, you are looking at a year to grow it out. So don't rush it. Do only what you are sure about.

That’s why I like the longer angled cuts like the woman in the blue shirt. I still want to be able to do a puff/bun.

It’s been over 2 years since my first curly cut and I definitely want a polished shape. I just want to be able to wear my hair up when I’m feeling lazy or having a bad hair day.

faithVA

That’s why I like the longer angled cuts like the woman in the blue shirt. I still want to be able to do a puff/bun.

It’s been over 2 years since my first curly cut and I definitely want a polished shape. I just want to be able to wear my hair up when I’m feeling lazy or having a bad hair day.
OK My opinion again. I also think because you have your wash and go down, that your hair would be better cut on 2nd or 3rd day hair where you have applied product the way you want it and not how the stylist does it. Because the application of the gel changes everything. The cut she does when she applies the gel versus when you apply the gel can be 2 different cuts. Just something to consider.

faithVA

The very first time I got a curly cut I went to a Deva stylist and I showed her this picture as my long term goal.
I think she ended up cutting my crown too short, but my hair was also in terrible shape back then. I was washing with baking soda which was killing my cuticles, and I had just finished experimenting with oil rinsing. So I don’t totally blame her since she had a difficult canvas to start with.

I showed her this and I got the picture below.
View attachment 473671View attachment 473673
I think this is what the A's are referring to when they speak of Devacuts being more of a 2 dimensional cut which is why the crown is cut too short. They aren't taking into account volume which the crown needs to be able to adapt to. Toaster can get a 2 dimensional cut because she doesn't wear her hair with a lot of volume. My hair is nothing but volume so a Devacut wouldn't work at all.

I think she did better on the right side but not sure what happened on the left side.

GettingKinky

OK My opinion again. I also think because you have your wash and go down, that your hair would be better cut on 2nd or 3rd day hair where you have applied product the way you want it and not how the stylist does it. Because the application of the gel changes everything. The cut she does when she applies the gel versus when you apply the gel can be 2 different cuts. Just something to consider.
I totally agree with this. When I apply gel I don’t focus on elongating my curls and the Cstylists seem to put a premium in this. I don’t have the time/energy for all that. I need my hair cut on my curls the way I wear them.

My appointment is on a Saturday at a minimum I will wash on Friday and maybe even Thursday. Her instructions for a dry cut are to come in with hair that is no more than 1 day old.

I don’t completely understand why they elongate the curls before they cut. If they’re going to do that they may as well do the cut on blown out hair.

faithVA

I totally agree with this. When I apply gel I don’t focus on elongating my curls and the Cstylists seem to put a premium in this. I don’t have the time/energy for all that. I need my hair cut on my curls the way I wear them.

My appointment is on a Saturday at a minimum I will wash on Friday and maybe even Thursday. Her instructions for a dry cut are to come in with hair that is no more than 1 day old.

I don’t completely understand why they elongate the curls before they cut. If they’re going to do that they may as well do the cut on blown out hair.
I hope it is a wonderful experience for you and the two of you can talk through everything and you leave a happy and satisfied customer. :yep: May we all have wins with our stylist this year.

toaster

@GettingKinky my recollection of deva cuts when they were super popular in the 2000s and 2010s is that the crown was super short. That was how they achieved “volume” but still kept length at the bottom.

Your deva cut was similar, but the left side was a little wonky.

To get the most hold and longevity from my CCS, I do try to elongate my curls as much as possible. Knowing they will shrink up as the days go on.

My personal opinion is that SOME curly cuts only look good that day in the salon. Our hair curls and reacts differently every time we wash it. If your part is a millimeter off, it won’t hang correctly. If you’re in a rush, it won’t hang correctly.

I think that’s why so many stylists want you to come back every 8 weeks for a “shape up.”

In your goal picture, it looks like the lines aren’t so sharp that two weeks after your cut you wouldn’t be unhappy with your hair.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky my recollection of deva cuts when they were super popular in the 2000s and 2010s is that the crown was super short. That was how they achieved “volume” but still kept length at the bottom.

Your deva cut was similar, but the left side was a little wonky.

To get the most hold and longevity from my CCS, I do try to elongate my curls as much as possible. Knowing they will shrink up as the days go on.

My personal opinion is that SOME curly cuts only look good that day in the salon. Our hair curls and reacts differently every time we wash it. If your part is a millimeter off, it won’t hang correctly. If you’re in a rush, it won’t hang correctly.

I think that’s why so many stylists want you to come back every 8 weeks for a “shape up.”

In your goal picture, it looks like the lines aren’t so sharp that two weeks after your cut you wouldn’t be unhappy with your hair.
The left side was definitely a bit wonky. I have a disconnect on that side and I think she didn’t want to cut it short enough to fix it. To be fair I would have been unhappy if she had cut it that short.

GettingKinky

Do you want it to get shorter as it goes to the back or do you want blunt straight across?

I like it. I can just tell that the front is longer than the back. Is that what you see?
I like slightly shorter in the back and I like all the same length. I need to spend some time deciding. It’s easy to pick a potential hair style, picking a real one is much harder. :)

faithVA

It is day 6 for me. :yay: Right now it still takes a lot of fluffing to make it presentable, but I think that is due to my still learning my gel application step. But as it gets longer and my application improves, I can see this working for me. :yay: If it was longer I would just mist it with UFD glycerin spray and some water and put it in a puff. My hair still has enough moisture in it to make it for at least 3 more days :woot:

I've been wearing a buff for the past 2 nights so it is more packed but the hair is going in the same direction. I'm going to shower and see if the steam helps it any to see if I can reshape it. I am having lunch with a friend. I will decide whether it can be reshaped or whether I'm wearing a head wrap. I'm not super concerned. She and I have worked together over 8 years and she has seen my hair at its worse, so this won't be the worse she has seen :lol: She is one of those whose hair always looks perfect :tantrum:

I will take pictures if I wear it out.