Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

DVAntDany

I think maybe I will let my stylist blow out my hair and trim it, when I see her at the end of April. I’m a little nervous though because I haven’t had my hair blown out in over 5 years and I will be crushed if my curls suffer.
I have to figure out what’s more important to me, maximum length retention or minimizing the risk to my curls.

I used to get my hair flat ironed every 8 weeks and I stopped when I got heat damage. I think my hair is in much better condition now than back then, so a blow out shouldn’t damage my curls, but I’m still slightly anxious.
It seems that the more hydrated curly hair is the least likely it is to be damaged by heat. Also, using a flat iron with ceramic plates and heat protectant styling products reduces the chances of heat damage. Most apparent damage to curl integrity from blowdrying appears to come from mechanical damage and blowing drying hair beyond necessary (continuing to blowdry already dry hair).

I think your curls should be fine if she is only going to blow dry your hair. Did she discuss what tools she would be using to blow dry your hair? A quick paddle brush blow dry is very different from using a stiff bristled round brush. One can get your hair straighter and requires more manipulation. Did she state what products she would be using? Does she believe in heat protectants?

I understand your anxiety. No one wants to willingly mess up their hair. If you trust her judgment, then you should be in good hands.

DVAntDany

I needed to at least get some water on my hair but I didn't feel like doing it but it couldn't wait until the weekend.

I shampooed once and condition. I detangled and I had sooo much shed hair. Then I put in 4 pumps of UFD and some water and raked and left it at that.

It looks like nothing but I at least gave it some moisture. I have to be on camera at 3, so I will put it in a puff.

Maybe this weekend, I play around with some clay. Let me go find that MHM thread.
How did the wash and puff turn out?

DVAntDany

So here is day 4. I’m noticing that one side is shrinking more than the other.

C8CF3608-1A01-4BEC-9676-3C30485D73CA.jpegAE02A33D-7D15-4967-AA0A-336B027BE69E.jpeg4626FF3F-683B-40D5-8718-149C3A644631.jpegCB957EAA-138C-45CD-8E35-06561649FF0C.jpeg

I think this combo is for people who want the look of styling foam/mousse but for it to last longer. I’ll wear it for a few more days. I feel it’s giving black child catalog model vibes. LOL Overall, I’m not mad at it. However, the results of Trepadora BG glaze and mousse look more promising from others online than this Innersense combo. I will try Trepadora next.

GettingKinky

It seems that the more hydrated curly hair is the least likely it is to be damaged by heat. Also, using a flat iron with ceramic plates and heat protectant styling products reduces the chances of heat damage. Most apparent damage to curl integrity from blowdrying appears to come from mechanical damage and blowing drying hair beyond necessary (continuing to blowdry already dry hair).

I think your curls should be fine if she is only going to blow dry your hair. Did she discuss what tools she would be using to blow dry your hair? A quick paddle brush blow dry is very different from using a stiff bristled round brush. One can get your hair straighter and requires more manipulation. Did she state what products she would be using? Does she believe in heat protectants?

I understand your anxiety. No one wants to willingly mess up their hair. If you trust her judgment, then you should be in good hands.
She uses a blow dryer with a comb attachment. I need to find out what kind of heat protectant she uses.

faithVA

How did the wash and puff turn out?
It was workable. :lol: It is still in that puff. Each morning I spritz it with water and stretch it and before bed I take off the band and put on a scarf. That gave me 4 day hair with little effort so I'm definitely going to keep it as an option when I don't feel like being bothered.

DVAntDany

Okay, it is official. I Create Definition is humidity resistant. I was out in the rain. It was kinda heavy. I'm all dry now and my hair looks the same as it did when I woke up this morning. This is definitely a topper worth using. Its just not a one and done.

Today after the rain for about 10+mins

DC2AEFE3-0D05-4E3A-9A65-42FC5D287B6D.jpegDE8C76D7-0830-433C-8594-52FB84FF8FF6.jpeg

Aftermath of the last time I walked through light misty rain with a mousse wng

5B2F7003-04CB-4A53-BE88-3EB8973AC143.jpeg

DVAntDany

Technically, wng are a set that gives us a defined curl texture that can be styled countless ways once dry. Since puffs are the go-to transition style for "expired" wash n goes, we should post more pictures of styles we do until we can wash our hair again. Some of you all are already doing things such as wash n puffs. I wanna see what that looks like both wet and dry. I'm looking at you @faithVA.:grinwink:

I haven't worn a puff since December. My hair has been too stiff and flattened to look decent in a puff. While looking for my last mousse wash n go pic, I ran across the last puff picture I took. I like more mailable wngs because they look round from the profile.

9C8218AF-84A0-4280-9E1E-3509F2EF01B6.jpegDB3FE674-35B7-4B17-91E2-C68A44A845C6.jpeg

I've been using the Gimme Beauty Mega Hair Bands. They work pretty well with out doing any rotations. I recently purchased the CurlFriend Collective scrunchies. They have great stretch and will be nice for when I start wearing puff again. Plus, they are made out of silk.

faithVA

Technically, wng are a set that gives us a defined curl texture that can be styled countless ways once dry. Since puffs are the go-to transition style for "expired" wash n goes, we should post more pictures of styles we do until we can wash our hair again. Some of you all are already doing things such as wash n puffs. I wanna see what that looks like both wet and dry. I'm looking at you @faithVA.:grinwink:

I haven't worn a puff since December. My hair has been too stiff and flattened to look decent in a puff. While looking for my last mousse wash n go pic, I ran across the last puff picture I took. I like more mailable wngs because they look round from the profile.

View attachment 488545View attachment 488547

I've been using the Gimme Beauty Mega Hair Bands. They work pretty well with out doing any rotations. I recently purchased the CurlFriend Collective scrunchies. They have great stretch and will be nice for when I start wearing puff again. Plus, they are made out of silk.
I will try to remember to take a pic next time I wear one. My hair is just getting to a length where I can wear a puff so I don't wear them often.

I'm supposed to be putting in 2 strands tonight and for the rest of April :look: We shall see.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I washed my hair impromptu and set it and now under the dryer and my hair looks like its full of flakes :cry3:

ETA: My hair is still wet even after diffusing and sitting under the dryer and airdrying over night! OMG I'm never adding water to my wash and go again! :nono:

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
F14D4519-6D83-4614-923F-C984E0813EB4.jpeg
8896E9EE-8C2A-4638-858F-3148E625D741.jpeg

I used Redken acidic bonding concentrate leave in and Redken max hold sculpting gel with a little Salerm ice gel on top. Worst flakes ever. It’s still wet at the roots and my hair is pretty much fused together. This is the worst wash and go I’ve had for a while.

DVAntDany

I washed my hair impromptu and set it and now under the dryer and my hair looks like its full of flakes :cry3:

ETA: My hair is still wet even after diffusing and sitting under the dryer and airdrying over night! OMG I'm never adding water to my wash and go again! :nono:
Before you say all hope is lost, lets see if we can get some clarification to help solve this problem. Are these combos new ones or tried and true for you? Are they flaking from root to tip or only in particular sections? When was the last time you clarified? Are there any common denominators in the ingredient list that could point to what is causing the flaking? You should probably answer theses questions first before giving into major disappointment.

For me, products with hydroxyethylcellulose as the main holding agent leave my hair with a white or gray cast. These are usually formulas that leave my hair soft to the touch yet defined. As much as I want to use them as a one and done styler does not negate how cruddy they leave my hair. After much experimenting, it turns out that the amount I need to get definition is what is causing the white cast. Because I'm not much of a person for layering products, I don't know if they could contribute anything significant when used with other stylers. Since there are so many other products out there without a major learning curve, I choose to put these products on the backburner until further notice.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Before you say all hope is lost, lets see if we can get some clarification to help solve this problem. Are these combos new ones or tried and true for you? Are they flaking from root to tip or only in particular sections? When was the last time you clarified? Are there any common denominators in the ingredient list that could point to what is causing the flaking? You should probably answer theses questions first before giving into major disappointment.

For me, products with hydroxyethylcellulose as the main holding agent leave my hair with a white or gray cast. These are usually formulas that leave my hair soft to the touch yet defined. As much as I want to use them as a one and done styler does not negate how cruddy they leave my hair. After much experimenting, it turns out that the amount I need to get definition is what is causing the white cast. Because I'm not much of a person for layering products, I don't know if they could contribute anything significant when used with other stylers. Since there are so many other products out there without a major learning curve, I choose to put these products on the backburner until further notice.
The redken was a new to me gel but i dont think this leave in works well with most gels. Every time i used it except with wetline gel, I get flakes.

DVAntDany

The redken was a new to me gel but i dont think this leave in works well with most gels. Every time i used it except with wetline gel, I get flakes.
So this is a new combo, but you feel that the leave-in is the culprit when referring to past experiences, right? Is there a particular reason you strayed from using the Wetline combo since the leave-in works with this one? What benefits have you noticed from the leave-in that makes you continue to try and use it in other combos even though it causes problems?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So this is a new combo, but you feel that the leave-in is the culprit when referring to past experiences, right? Is there a particular reason you strayed from using the Wetline combo since the leave-in works with this one? What benefits have you noticed from the leave-in that makes you continue to try and use it in other combos even though it causes problems?
I love the leave in but I was mainly using it with my buns. I've never really tried it with wash and goes so I didnt know how it would flake. I also wanted to try doing an "all one brand wash and go" but the redken gel didnt really define my curls well. I can see it working on silkier hair.

I wanted to try different gels but the novelty of it is wearing off for me. i need predicatble hair which is why I like wearing my hair in a simple bun with a ponytail attached. With Wet line gel I can slather it on every day and not have any flakes for 1-2 weeks even. But then again my hair is in a bun so idk how it would flake if it was all out.

I'm this tempted to throw away all my other gels in my stash. (Except for my its a 10 coily gelled oil, thats bae too)

DVAntDany

I love the leave in but I was mainly using it with my buns. I've never really tried it with wash and goes so I didnt know how it would flake. I also wanted to try doing an "all one brand wash and go" but the redken gel didnt really define my curls well. I can see it working on silkier hair.

I wanted to try different gels but the novelty of it is wearing off for me. i need predicatble hair which is why I like wearing my hair in a simple bun with a ponytail attached. With Wet line gel I can slather it on every day and not have any flakes for 1-2 weeks even. But then again my hair is in a bun so idk how it would flake if it was all out.

I'm this tempted to throw away all my other gels in my stash. (Except for my its a 10 coily gelled oil, thats bae too)
That does make sense. Hopefully, the leave-in plus Wetline will work for a wng. Have you noticed any commonalities in the gels that might make them flake with that leave-in? Also, are you tempted to throw away the other gels because they do not work in any compacity or are they just subpar?

DVAntDany

Today is Wednesday. I styled my hair with ICH and ICD last Thursday. My scalp is slightly itchy and I’ve been sweating a lot. I’m calling it quits on this wng.

I’m most surprised that it hasn’t shrunken up to my ears nor turned completely round with being rained on and not covering it up at night.
81DE622A-678D-408B-B1CF-0B11345AC901.jpeg

Napp

Ms. Nobody
That does make sense. Hopefully, the leave-in plus Wetline will work for a wng. Have you noticed any commonalities in the gels that might make them flake with that leave-in? Also, are you tempted to throw away the other gels because they do not work in any compacity or are they just subpar?
I don’t really look at ingredients anymore so I can’t pinpoint my flaking. I’m tempted to throw the rest out just to simplify my regimen. I’m tired of testing products when I already have what works for me.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
OK I decided to go back to the wash and go because I don't feel as pretty when I wear my ponytails as of late. I think I'm just tired of the look although it came in clutch when i was working in person. I feel like trying to get m wash and goes down pact when I decide to go back to work in person I will be able to wear my own hair instead of relying on wigs and hair pieces. Slowly getting used the the look of m hair texture again as it grows out but my keratin treated ends are kind of like "training wheels" for the real thing. I cant wait for my hair to get longer.

Here is this weeks wash and go. I used Its a 10 coily leave in (lightly) along with the gelled oil. I decided to break out the ICH as a topper at the last minute just to see if i could get more hold.

The end result was a very firm wash and go with some volume, minimal flakes and survived my wild sleeping so I'm pleased. The ICH really worked well in giving me a boost of hold. I can see this lasting a week at least. Will be keeping the ICH on standby to give hold to my softer gels and custards. GIVE ME ALL THE HOLD!

Its_a_10_coily_ICH_2_50.jpg

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I have. I currently have 4 pouches in my freezer. I saved the jar that Jell-O shot used to come in and I transfer the stuff in the pouch to the jar.

my consistency is different than what I as in the two jars that I originally purchased. The jars were thick and chunky. What I received in the pouch is smooth and lighter going on my hair @GettingKinky