Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

I’ve been short changing the time I spend wetting my hair before I start shampooing. But I recently saw a video on IG where the woman mentioned taking her time to wet her hair and so it reminded me to do that this week. My hair definitely came out better.

I’m not sure if it’s because of the extra water, because I just got a trim, or because instead of using my protein conditioner just on my ends I used it on all of my hair.

I know my hair likes protein so I should use it on all my hair more often.

GettingKinky

When I look at hairstyles, I am often drawn to ones like the pictures below. But I’m afraid to get my hair cut this way.

1 - I’m afraid it will require more styling than I am willing to do in order to look good. I’m super lazy with my styling. I just rake diffuse and then I’m done.

2- even if it looks really good after proper styling what if I don’t like it- it will take forever to grow the short top back out

3- I need to be able to do a puff after a few days of working out

What do you guys think of this style?

E597CCA9-4E81-41FC-AA15-87E260DD392D.png
0BC08FE4-8F68-4E0D-9A2B-66560224F7D8.png

DVAntDany

When I look at hairstyles, I am often drawn to ones like the pictures below. But I’m afraid to get my hair cut this way.

1 - I’m afraid it will require more styling than I am willing to do in order to look good. I’m super lazy with my styling. I just rake diffuse and then I’m done.

2- even if it looks really good after proper styling what if I don’t like it- it will take forever to grow the short top back out

3- I need to be able to do a puff after a few days of working out

What do you guys think of this style?

View attachment 489203
View attachment 489205
It’s a really cute look. I personally would get a weave or wig cut that style to get an idea if I liked the look of it on myself.
If you have an opportunity to, style your hair like those type of bangs. Then Bobby pin the hair into place. See if you like that look on yourself.

I know that I have a somewhat short forehead. Most bang styles will leave me with shorter hair than I’m willing to part with. Those with longer foreheads will have more length to play around with. Other things to consider is how you would style your hair like that. Do you have the right type of natural volume to achieve that style? Will you have to change up your products to achieve that style? Think about day 1 styling and how long it will take to have the fullness with your current products.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

It’s a really cute look. I personally would get a weave or wig cut that style to get an idea if I liked the look of it on myself.
If you have an opportunity to, style your hair like those type of bangs. Then Bobby pin the hair into place. See if you like that look on yourself.

I know that I have a somewhat short forehead. Most bang styles will leave me with shorter hair than I’m willing to part with. Those with longer foreheads will have more length to play around with. Other things to consider is how you would style your hair like that. Do you have the right type of natural volume to achieve that style? Will you have to change up your products to achieve that style? Think about day 1 styling and how long it will take to have the fullness with your current products.
Good points. I didn’t even think about what day 1 hair would look like.
I doubt I’m going to do this- I’ll just admire it from afar.

GettingKinky

I was watching some blow dry videos on IG and some stylists can get natural hair very smooth with just a paddle brush and a blow dryer. I wonder if that is more risky for curly hair/ heat damage than the comb attachment?

Last edited:

faithVA

I can't bring myself to do a wash and go, even though I have all the products. I have my maintenance cut scheduled for July. I actually got a Saturday appointment :yay:

But I need to do a wng at least twice before I go.

GettingKinky

My hair has one thick choppy layer and I don’t like it. But I don’t want to cut back the longer part to make it a better transition. And for some reason the layer is more prominent on the right side of my head. On the left side it blends better.

I’ll just have to keep the longer part at the same length and let the layer catch up.

faithVA

I wouldn't call it a wash and go exactly but I did something (lol)

I have been wearing my hair in a puff since Friday. This morning I rinsed, applied conditioner and detangled a bit. I put about 4 pumps of UFD and some water and finger combed through it a bit. And that was the end. After a few hours I shook my head to get rid of some of the excess water.

It works for going around the house. And if I want to go out I can just put on some type of head band. I will see what this looks like tomorrow. With this being so simple, I may try doing the same thing and adding 1 pump of ICH and 1 pump of ICD on the weekend after a full wash.

I don't need it to look perfect. I just need it to be wearable for now. I can tell as it gets longer it will look better.

GettingKinky

I wouldn't call it a wash and go exactly but I did something (lol)

I have been wearing my hair in a puff since Friday. This morning I rinsed, applied conditioner and detangled a bit. I put about 4 pumps of UFD and some water and finger combed through it a bit. And that was the end. After a few hours I shook my head to get rid of some of the excess water.

It works for going around the house. And if I want to go out I can just put on some type of head band. I will see what this looks like tomorrow. With this being so simple, I may try doing the same thing and adding 1 pump of ICH and 1 pump of ICD on the weekend after a full wash.

I don't need it to look perfect. I just need it to be wearable for now. I can tell as it gets longer it will look better.
That sounds fairly similar to my process except I use a lot more product and I apply it in 4 sections. But once it’s in, I just rake it really well and I’m done. (Well I diffuse for 10 minutes)

faithVA

That sounds fairly similar to my process except I use a lot more product and I apply it in 4 sections. But once it’s in, I just rake it really well and I’m done. (Well I diffuse for 10 minutes)

Yeah, it is the raking it really well that I skipped, which is why I wouldn't call it a wash and go. At best it is a curly fro or a precursor to a puff :lol:

But maybe if I wet my hair more often, I can do less to it. We shall see.

oneastrocurlie

I'm retiring my KCKT + ICH combo. After about 3 days my hair feels dry. Too dry considering how much KCKT I use and I apply the KCKT to soaking wet hair and mist water as I go applying the ICH. Sucks because the definition is really good and it's fairly quick application progress.

This latest wash I tried an Adwoa leave in under ICH. We'll see how it goes.

faithVA

My hair didn't stand up under my sleep cap but I didn't expect it to. I let some water drizzle on my hair to manipulate it and put a little gel in it and put if in a puff. My ends looked curly. I didn't get around to doing anything with it today and I still have my scarf wrapped around the edges. But my hair feels good.

I think I will repeat the drizzle with water, gel and puff until the weekend.

My front and sizes are coming along nicely but my back still has a ways to go before I can do a bun. I think by the end of the year though, I may be able to use one of my puff cuffs. That would really make life easier.

I will try to do a full wash and go this weekend.

GettingKinky

My hair didn't stand up under my sleep cap but I didn't expect it to. I let some water drizzle on my hair to manipulate it and put a little gel in it and put if in a puff. My ends looked curly. I didn't get around to doing anything with it today and I still have my scarf wrapped around the edges. But my hair feels good.

I think I will repeat the drizzle with water, gel and puff until the weekend.

My front and sizes are coming along nicely but my back still has a ways to go before I can do a bun. I think by the end of the year though, I may be able to use one of my puff cuffs. That would really make life easier.

I will try to do a full wash and go this weekend.
I’m sure you’ll be puff cuff length soon. I really like mine I use it all the time.

Evolving78

I gotta figure out how not to use so much product! I don’t have much hair, but my hair is soaking up the product, then I use too much and it takes forever to dry clear. I’m using a curling custard and mousse.

faithVA

Just doing the same ole thing -shampoo, condition, gel and 2 twists. I will start hydrating more often to be ready for my appointment. I got a Saturday appointment this time :yay: And it is earlier in the day so I can enjoy it without sleeping on it.

I'm just going to get my ends trimmed and I'm not going to get the back shaped like I usually do. I will let my hair grow out until I'm in a bun before I get my back shaped again.

Would love to wear my hair in its curly state for a wedding in September. I will see how my day 3 hair looks this time to see if I can get it done on Friday and it still look decent by Monday.

Evolving78

Used mousse today. Loved the outcome but it was from Mielle that I had. I was against using it, but it gave me the same consistency as my tried and true wrap foam. Adore does not seem to color my 3 grey hairs that I have.. oh well. I think Clairol covers the best, but they don’t have fun colors..

Nairobi Wrap Foam provides more shine, but Mielle has the same stretch consistency like Nairobi. I’ll use Mielle as a topper. I really liked the Just For Me Slime. That provided a lot of shine for me. I’ll have to pick some up this weekend.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Bought the Slime gel and a bonnet kid size bonnet to fit my head! Lol I was staring at the hair paints, but just couldn’t bring myself to buy one. I hate trying something and it doesn’t work out. I’m risk adverse.. lol I might go back out and get it later today or tomorrow..

faithVA

I actually did a wash and go yesterday. I was on the fence until I actually did it. :lol:

I used my regulars: Madison Reed shampoo and conditioner. I used UFD + ICH and then I tried the ICD.

I haven't done a wng probably since I got my hair done in February :look: So, I have no routine to speak about. Pretty much I put stuff in my hair wand wished for the best. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. And I had this ashy cast all over my hair. This morning it was smooshed but if I played around with it, I could have worn it out. I doubt that it would have last more than 2 days.

This morning, I decided to try something different. I didn't shampoo again. I just rinsed, detangled and then I just used ICH, added water and then added ICD. I think I like this combo better. I think UFD as a base layer leaves my hair too wet and too soft with all of the humidity we have in VA.

I don't know if this will last more than 2 days either. I may try a round 3 tomorrow with the same combo but make sure I use more water after the ICH and work it in better.

I have to go back in the office on Wednesday or Thursday, so I want to see if a wng is feasible for going back to the office. I also want to get my hair more hydrated for my appointment.

I will see if my camera cooperates and get a picture today or tomorrow.

faithVA

Definitely used too much mousse yesterday but will figure it eventually. It definitely has hold.

One thing I think is stopping me from wearing a wng more often is my hair is that in between length. When I wrap it up for the night, it isn't really long enough to push back but it is too long to let the sides and front stay in place. If I leave my bangs and sides down, then I get this dimple in the middle of my hair. But if I push it back, I really don't have enough movement for it to fall back into place. Then I have to do a lot of manipulation to get it back down

:lol: My first world problems.

I do like the ease of doing my hair with the ICH. My hair dries faster and it just isn't as soft. I think I will stick with it for a while.

Today, I did a quick shampoo, condition and then used ICH with the Trepadora Papaya. I used more water and product. But I don't think I used enough product, so will work on that.

I'm going to try to do my hair daily for about 2 weeks to see if I can increase hydration. I did this when I first started wash and goes and it worked out well. My hair was shorter then and so it was easier.

I also have a lot of webbing at my roots which I hope to reduce. If I can keep my regimen simple, I can do some type of rinse, gel and style in 30 minutes and get myself to work. I think if I do my hair for 2 weeks straight it will be easier because
1. Will increase hydration
2. Will reduce the webbing over time
3. Will get better with production application
4. Won't get consumed with playing in my head :lol:

I will post the pic from my phone in a few.

20230704_151004.jpg

Last edited:

GettingKinky

@faithVA have you tried using a slap cap when you sleep? That way you can have your hair pulled down instead of standing up.
I really like sleeping with my hair that way. I don’t have to worry about whether or not it will lay back down in the morning.

faithVA

I do wear a slap cap. But if I pull it down then it has to be too far down over my ears and my forehead which I really don't like. If I pull it back then my hair doesnt fall back into place.

GettingKinky

I do wear a slap cap. But if I pull it down then it has to be too far down over my ears and my forehead which I really don't like. If I pull it back then my hair doesnt fall back into place.
I see and if you pull the cap to a level you like and then push your hair back you get the weird dimple you mentioned.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Curl creams are a waste of time for my natural hair. My hair just laughs at them. I get frizzy hair and flakes.

I used to just put conditioner in my hair and use the tightly curly method but that doesn't work either.

I'm so frustrated with my hair. I wish there was something i could use that made my hair silky but wasn't a chemical process and lowered the integrity of my hair.

GettingKinky

Curl creams are a waste of time for my natural hair. My hair just laughs at them. I get frizzy hair and flakes.

I used to just put conditioner in my hair and use the tightly curly method but that doesn't work either.

I'm so frustrated with my hair. I wish there was something i could use that made my hair silky but wasn't a chemical process and lowered the integrity of my hair.
@Napp I’m sorry that the texture of your hair frustrates you. I understand the appeal of silky shiny hair. For me it just took time (a lot of time) wearing my hair out and curly to get used to the fact that my hair isn’t silky/shiny and now I’ve stopped wishing for it. I hope the same will happen for you.

But whoever comes up with a product that makes tightly curly hair silky without damaging the hair or loosening the curl will be a gigillionaire.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@Napp I’m sorry that the texture of your hair frustrates you. I understand the appeal of silky shiny hair. For me it just took time (a lot of time) wearing my hair out and curly to get used to the fact that my hair isn’t silky/shiny and now I’ve stopped wishing for it. I hope the same will happen for you.

But whoever comes up with a product that makes tightly curly hair silky without damaging the hair or loosening the curl will be a gigillionaire.

I am not going to lie. I am tempted to put an amino acid treatment in my hair but I am trying to stick to no buy for this month. Plus its expensive. I actually don't mind my curl pattern but i hate the rough texture my hair naturally has. i wish it was smoother and accepted water easier. It drives me crazy! i think this is why I experience so much flaking with my natural hair. I wish there was something to open the cuticle or something.