Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

I am not going to lie. I am tempted to put an amino acid treatment in my hair but I am trying to stick to no buy for this month. Plus its expensive. I actually don't mind my curl pattern but i hate the rough texture my hair naturally has. i wish it was smoother and accepted water easier. It drives me crazy! i think this is why I experience so much flaking with my natural hair. I wish there was something to open the cuticle or something.
What shampoo do you use? Maybe it’s not wrong enough to open your cuticles.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I was using redken extreme length shampoo which was ok but it left build up. I bought a few new shampoos that i will test out in the next coming weeks. I know a demi permanent color can help lift cuticles but last time I did that it didn't really help. (i used a clear demi)

faithVA

My set from yesterday was a bust. I intended to rest this morning but it didnt happen. I rest this evening after dinner. Used clay so I wouldn't have to shampoo. Then used UFD and put in a lot of water.

I will diffuse before bed because there is no way it will dry.

I found out I have to work the Saturday of my hair appointment :sad: I had to reschedule to the last week of July. Maybe I will have gotten better with my set by then.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
IMG_3770_2_50.jpg

I did a wash and go with Eco Styler Super Olive and Mielle Oats and Honey Hair balm. They work really good together. So far no flakes. My hair looks like its not growing though. I need to change something in my regimen but I want a reliable style. I am trying to wear my real hair for a while because I feel like I'm becoming a slave to fake hair

My wash and go with Taliah Wajiid Curl Definer only lasted a day. after i went outside my hair went kaboom. I'm using gel from now on.

GettingKinky

I was using redken extreme length shampoo which was ok but it left build up. I bought a few new shampoos that i will test out in the next coming weeks. I know a demi permanent color can help lift cuticles but last time I did that it didn't really help. (i used a clear demi)
I get the most moisture in my hair when I use a fairly strong shampoo. But there is a trade off - stronger shampoos lift your cuticle and allow your hair to soak in more water, but they are more damaging to your hair.

faithVA

I get the most moisture in my hair when I use a fairly strong shampoo. But there is a trade off - stronger shampoos lift your cuticle and allow your hair to soak in more water, but they are more damaging to your hair.
@GettingKinky, Are you using 2 different types of shampoos during your cleanse? Or just one? I know you have said but I just don't remember.

faithVA

I am low porosity and have a hard time getting water into my strands. What I have found that works for me is to keep my shampoos in rotation. I have 3 shampoos which are clear: clarifying (1x a quarter); almost clarifying (after non-botanical products/build-up); all purpose (regular use) and I have one pearlized shampoo. I don't use any creamy shampoos. They are just too heavy for my hair. I can't use a creamy shampoo and then use a conditioner after it.

My weekly shampoo, I always use a clear shampoo, followed by my pearlized shampoo. If I need to shampoo mid week, then I will wash once with the pearlized shampoo.

I have found that I can't use the pearlized shampoo solely on back to back washes.

When the cuticles lay flat, production just lays on them so I have found the clear shampoo to really be a necessity weekly. And the pearlized shampoo is creamy enough to return my hair to a nice state but it isn't so heavy that it lays on my hair.

Using a creamy shampoo with a conditioner and not rotating a clear shampoo in your cleansing regimen could be contributing to your build up and some of your flaking.

Just some thoughts.

faithVA

I diffused last night because otherwise I would have to sleep sitting up. I was able to get the outer layer mostly dry. I put on my slap cap and it seemed to do OK. I haven't moved my hair though since I took it off. My hair does feel better. It isn't super crunchy and it is flat but not packed to my hair. But it still feels a little wet so I'm going to leave it alone and see if it opens up.

But I think I made some progress with my application. I did the 4 pumps of UFD, one per section and I worked it in and made sure I got my roots. Then I added water. I could see sections especially my gray hairs drying out so I added more gel and more water. And I kept adding water until it was heavy. Usually you can see my hair start to shrink up in 30 minutes but after 4 hours my hair was still hanging.

I'm not sure how much of that I can contribute to starting with clay, which helps my hair hold onto water better than it usually does or if it was really about just the water. I'm not planning to reset today but may reset tomorrow and see if I can repeat it.

I'm in the mood to work on my regimen, so I will see if I can figure out a few things between now and my appointment.

faithVA

I reset this morning. It looks good right now but I have a feeling it isn't the right gel water ratio.

I think I will try to stick to the amount of gel and play around with the water.

I didnt smooth or style it since I was late for work.

This is after air drying a few hours
20230707_115230.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

Was looking through some pictures and realized, it has been about 3 years since my first curly cut. It has been a long period of growing my hair out. Fortunately, work has kept me busy and I've been able to work from home until this month. Both of those have made it easier.

My hair hasn't quite reached the point it was before it all broke off but I can see myself being very close to that by the end of the year.

From seeing pictures of other curly cuts, most of their hair took off between year 3 and 4. I am definitely looking forward to what happens in this next year. Maybe 2024 is the year I finally break through SL and get past it.

Will post my year-to-year anniversary pictures after my July appt.

GettingKinky

I don’t have anything to look forward to with my hair. I’m stocked up on all my products -except bond repair- so I don’t need to buy anything. I may buy one bottle of UFD and one of JS during the next sale just to make sure.

I’ve stopped getting curly cuts so I can focus on length retention, so I won’t have any cut adventures aside from my 3x a year blown out trims.

I am totally in cruise control. Which I guess is good, but so boring.

Maybe I’ll try some foam sets just for a change of pace.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I don’t have anything to look forward to with my hair. I’m stocked up on all my products -except bond repair- so I don’t need to buy anything. I may buy one bottle of UFD and one of JS during the next sale just to make sure.

I’ve stopped getting curly cuts so I can focus on length retention, so I won’t have any cut adventures aside from my 3x a year blown out trims.

I am totally in cruise control. Which I guess is good, but so boring.

Maybe I’ll try some foam sets just for a change of pace.
I want to get to this point. I keep experimenting with stuff and it’s annoying.

and once you start retaining more length hair will just be an effortless afterthought for you. That sounds amazing

faithVA

My set yesterday wasn't a complete success but it was progress.

I reset at 8:30 am yesterday and air dried while I worked. I diffused at around 9 pm. Instead of trying to tuck my sides under my cap, I used a bobby pin to pin them down and that seemed to work. When I tried to tuck them back, it stretched them too much and they just looked weirder than usual.

But when I took off my cap this morning, I still had some curls. :yay: Everything was laying in the correct direction :yay:

Now, because I didn't smooth and separate, I had chunks of hair that were just masses of something. But overall, it was wearable. When I went out into the heat and sweated my hair got better. It started to separate out into curls and define more.

I will see if I get 3 day hair but I will reset tomorrow. Tomorrow I will stick with the same amount of gel and see if I can get the water right. But I will spend time smoothing.

If I can get a repeat of today's and just a little better, I will take it. I'm willing for now to reset every 2 to 3 days to hydrate my hair and figure out this water.

faithVA

I reset today but don't think it will last.

I started with the right amount of gel and added water. If I leave it hear and let my hair drip, I get that nice hang.

However, as soon as I start to smooth and style, even if I'm careful, I loose a lot of water :sad:

Once, I started, I was afraid to add more water because then I can see my hair start to frizz out. Was afraid to add more gel because then I get the brick hair effect :lol:

I'm air drying and will diffuse before bed. Will see how it turns out tomorrow and make adjustments.

I think I prefer the look when I don't separate my curls. And I seem to hold more water in my hair this way. Next reset, I will stick with the same amount of gel. I will smooth in layers horizontally to see if I can do something with my roots. Then I will add water until it hangs.

I hope this set gives me at least 2 days and that my possible changes for next set get me closer.

DVAntDany

In a quest to use up my stash, I have found a combo I really like. Curls Blueberry Bliss Jelly as a base. Then topped with Zotos All About Curls High Definition Gel. Then a second topper with a little bit of Trepadora Bamboo Ginseng. It gave nice definition and weight. I ran out of the High Definition Gel. So I moved on to the next thing.

Y’all know I’m easily influenced. So I recently tried out Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Hold It Styling Gel because of Shelly V online. This gel gives great shine and definition. The only issue is that it has no slip.

I’m at a loss on what to use that won’t mess up the hold. I tried using Curls BB Jelly and it turned into an Afro going out into the humidity. It also would not get as defined and looked a little fluffy when putting Alikay natural on top That made no sense because both gels on their own work way better.

Today, I used a little Curls BB Hair Milk, and it barely did anything to help with slip. It also loosened the definition just a little bit especially in the back. This combo was way better though. This is my hair dry.

I’m still impressed. If I had sat under the hooded dry for more than 10 minutes, I would have seen more elongation of my curls. My hair in the back just loves to shrink up.

IMG_5938.jpegIMG_5939.jpegIMG_5940.jpeg

GettingKinky

For the last 3 days I’ve been wearing my hair in a ponytail with the largest size puff cuff and last night I slept with my hair uncovered on a cotton pillow case. I’ve worked out 5 days this week and during my massage on Wednesday the therapist massaged my scalp.

Despite all of that my curls have very minimal frizz and I could wear my hair down today if I wanted, but it’s wash day.

For the last month or so I’ve really been focusing on getting my hair very wet before I start shampooing and I think my hair really likes it.

faithVA

Finally had my maintenance appointment. I didnt bother coloring my hair like I usually do. It's a good thing because with this humidity my hair looks like it hasn't grown a bit. I was so disappointed. And I doubt that it will survive past 2 days. I'm not feeling motivated to stick with a wng until I can get some hang time which is probably next summer :tantrum:

I'm over this hair.

20230725_181514.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

The good news is my stylist bought a new dryer, the Veeco Aristette II. My hair was dry in 25 minutes. I don't have a dryer yet but now this one is on my radar. I can manage sitting under the dryer for 25 minutes 1x to 2x a week.

I don't have any place to store a dryer yet but I will revisit it in October when we move and the weather cools down.