Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

Finally had my maintenance appointment. I didnt bother coloring my hair like I usually do. It's a good thing because with this humidity my hair looks like it hasn't grown a bit. I was so disappointed. And I doubt that it will survive past 2 days. I'm not feeling motivated to stick with a wng until I can get some hang time which is probably next summer :tantrum:

I'm over this hair.

View attachment 490601
Shrinkage is so discouraging sometimes. We just have to believe the length is hiding in there. This is one reason I’m happy I’ve switched to trims on blown out hair. I get to see some of my length a few times a year.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I am not going to lie. I am tempted to put an amino acid treatment in my hair but I am trying to stick to no buy for this month. Plus its expensive. I actually don't mind my curl pattern but i hate the rough texture my hair naturally has. i wish it was smoother and accepted water easier. It drives me crazy! i think this is why I experience so much flaking with my natural hair. I wish there was something to open the cuticle or something.
Sounds like we have the same type of hair. Mine gets itchy when it's loose. Have you tried steaming?

faithVA

Shrinkage is so discouraging sometimes. We just have to believe the length is hiding in there. This is one reason I’m happy I’ve switched to trims on blown out hair. I get to see some of my length a few times a year.

I'm not done with curly cuts, but I will stop them for now until my hair is long enough to wear curly and wear in a puff.

My biggest issue is not really shrinkage. My top two issues are my hair only holds a set for 2 to 3 days and without the length, I can't do a puff to get me through the week. If I knew definitively my set would last 3 full days, I could be convinced to do my hair twice a week. But it is always a crap shoot and I don't have time for crap shoots :lol:

I talked to the stylist who does my brows and asked if she could give me a low heat blowout. She was open to it. In the fall when I do my final length check. I will let her do the blowout and then I will flat iron and trim it myself.

I will see if I can get to puff length by April 2024. I will then try another wash and go and see if the extra length helps. If I can get the length I want, I will go back to getting a curly cut next Fall. I will have to start over as a new customer but I will have saved enough by then. But I will make sure that I want to wear my hair curly before I do go.

I'm through with curly styling this year. Just going to stick with twists until the Spring.

GettingKinky

I'm not done with curly cuts, but I will stop them for now until my hair is long enough to wear curly and wear in a puff.

My biggest issue is not really shrinkage. My top two issues are my hair only holds a set for 2 to 3 days and without the length, I can't do a puff to get me through the week. If I knew definitively my set would last 3 full days, I could be convinced to do my hair twice a week. But it is always a crap shoot and I don't have time for crap shoots :lol:

I talked to the stylist who does my brows and asked if she could give me a low heat blowout. She was open to it. In the fall when I do my final length check. I will let her do the blowout and then I will flat iron and trim it myself.

I will see if I can get to puff length by April 2024. I will then try another wash and go and see if the extra length helps. If I can get the length I want, I will go back to getting a curly cut next Fall. I will have to start over as a new customer but I will have saved enough by then. But I will make sure that I want to wear my hair curly before I do go.

I'm through with curly styling this year. Just going to stick with twists until the Spring.
I get where you’re coming from. Either liking you hair once it starts losing definition or being able to wear a puff is key to wash n go life.

oneastrocurlie

I got about 3 inches chopped off.

Pros:
I have a nice length front bang and don't have to do a middle part anymore
I still have a good shape 5-6 days in so haven't worn a puff. Idk if I can even get it into a puff now honestly
The back of the head looks good at all times. That was my biggest hair complaint.
It's tapered but not super low so I can still do other styles.
As my hair shrinks I get a more rounded shape, which I like.

Cons:
None lol

I haven't tried a twist out yet. Will do that soon. Also curious what mini twists will look like at this length.

Tried a new product, SSI plum nectar custard. 2/5 stars. Thought it would be a one product styler, it's not. I need a mousse on top. It's not moisturizing solo, needs a leave in. And it flakes next day. Maybe I use too much? But with how much water I use during styling, I don't know. At this point, not a repurchase but I'll use it up.

My goal has been shoulder length curly but the way my shrinkage is set up... Never happening. I'm finally OK with that. :)

GettingKinky

Pros:
I still have a good shape 5-6 days in so haven't worn a puff. Idk if I can even get it into a puff now honestly
The back of the head looks good at all times. That was my biggest hair complaint.

Cons:
None lol

I haven't tried a twist out yet. Will do that soon. Also curious what mini twists will look like at this length.

Tried a new product, SSI plum nectar custard. 2/5 stars. Thought it would be a one product styler, it's not. I need a mousse on top. It's not moisturizing solo, needs a leave in. And it flakes next day. Maybe I use too much? But with how much water I use during styling, I don't know. At this point, not a repurchase but I'll use it up.

My goal has been shoulder length curly but the way my shrinkage is set up... Never happening. I'm finally OK with that. :)
Pictures?

GettingKinky

Pros:

Cons:
None lol

I always ignore the back of my head. I just looked today and I kind of wish I hadn’t. It looks so uneven. I spend some effort making sure my hair looks good from the front, but the back the back just ends up looking any kind of way.

oneastrocurlie

I always ignore the back of my head. I just looked today and I kind of wish I hadn’t. It looks so uneven. I spend some effort making sure my hair looks good from the front, but the back the back just ends up looking any kind of way.

I probably look too often. As my hair shrunk, the back had a odd boxy shape. Day 1-2 would be fine.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I kinda do that too. I say the back is between itself and God. It's none of my business cause I can't see back there :rofl:

GettingKinky

I just got a trim on blown out hair. I love the chance to see my length, but then I have no idea what to do with my hair. I added a bunch of foam and a little water and put it in 4 braids overnight, but it didn’t dry and now I have zero clue what to do with my hair for work.

HealthyHair2020

Has anyone tried the The Doux Bee Girl Custard with the Camille Rose Spiked Honey Mousse together? I think I'm gonna do a wash and go soon and wondered if anyone has tried this combo.

Evolving78

I still want to try the Doux gel…but I’m not going to start being a product junky.
Well I lied! Lol but I went out and bought Big Poppa and Mousse Def and I bought some products from ORS’s new line. Now I was going to get some Camille Rose, but that Curl Maker price was not the business! And I think I may have buyer’s remorse with Big Poppa. I watched some old reviews and the gel sounds like it might feel and behave like Hawaiian Silky curl activator?!?? I hated that gel. It was full of glycerin and didn’t hold anything.. I thought ya’ll said that gel was heavy?!?!

Evolving78

I am not feeling The Doux products that I have purchased.. I don’t like that conditioner I bought, Big Poppa, or Mousse Def. I’m going to use it, but won’t be repurchasing these product or anything else from the company. I will say you have to use a lot of water to get them to work. The products don’t produce any kind of hold and my hair still isn’t dry. I will try to find Edge booster styler gel? I couldn’t tell if what the store had were the pomades or the gels. I love thick gels give a lot of crunch! I sweat, so I need all the hold I can get!

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I am not feeling The Doux products that I have purchased.. I don’t like that conditioner I bought, Big Poppa, or Mousse Def. I’m going to use it, but won’t be repurchasing these product or anything else from the company. I will say you have to use a lot of water to get them to work. The products don’t produce any kind of hold and my hair still isn’t dry. I will try to find Edge booster styler gel? I couldn’t tell if what the store had were the pomades or the gels. I love thick gels give a lot of crunch! I sweat, so I need all the hold I can get!
I’ve never tried Big Poppa, but I like Mousse Def for when I slick my hair back into a puff. For me it works perfectly for that. I mist my hair with water, add some foam and I either use a denman brush or just my hands to put my hair in a puff.

Evolving78

I’ve never tried Big Poppa, but I like Mousse Def for when I slick my hair back into a puff. For me it works perfectly for that. I mist my hair with water, add some foam and I either use a denman brush or just my hands to put my hair in a puff.
That mousse is thin and watery. You really have to push the pump down for it to fully foam up. I like thick products unless it is a liquid leave-in spray or light oil mist.

Evolving78

I got the gel I was looking for. I used ORS today and the gel is ok, but I like it paired with the mousse. I still have to work on using enough water or less product so I don’t have that white crystallized stuff going on.

sunshinebeautiful

Well I lied! Lol but I went out and bought Big Poppa and Mousse Def and I bought some products from ORS’s new line. Now I was going to get some Camille Rose, but that Curl Maker price was not the business! And I think I may have buyer’s remorse with Big Poppa. I watched some old reviews and the gel sounds like it might feel and behave like Hawaiian Silky curl activator?!?? I hated that gel. It was full of glycerin and didn’t hold anything.. I thought ya’ll said that gel was heavy?!?!
This is how Big Poppa behaves in my hair. I ditched it after trying it a couple of times.

larry3344

Does anyone have an alternative to mielle pomegranate coil custard? I like the product but the smell is too much. I want something unscented or low scented.

Attachments

• IMG_9685.jpeg
    IMG_9685.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 10