Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

LavenderMint

@LavenderMint your hair is gorgeous! Are you getting a cut tomorrow?
Thank you!!
Yes, it’s overdue. My hair is so dry that the coils tend to bubble at their turn and then split. So my hair grows but I’m not seeing retention anymore. It straightens to the same length as my last major cut a year or so ago that took me from waist length to shoulders. I’m catching up on the thread and I’m seeing reference to a digital salon...? Is this the one Abena Palmore is/was involved with (I think) or is this a different one? It sounds interesting and I’ve got a lot to learn.

toaster

Thank you!!
Yes, it’s overdue. My hair is so dry that the coils tend to bubble at their turn and then split. So my hair grows but I’m not seeing retention anymore. It straightens to the same length as my last major cut a year or so ago that took me from waist length to shoulders. I’m catching up on the thread and I’m seeing reference to a digital salon...? Is this the one Abena Palmore is/was involved with (I think) or is this a different one? It sounds interesting and I’ve got a lot to learn.

I believe so! The digital salon can be found at www.blackcurlmagic.com

I found it super interesting and helpful and will probably join off and on to get more information.

If you have Instagram follow @iamblackgirlcurls and @chocolatecurlsbeaty for more information!

GettingKinky

@LavenderMint
I have never been able to successfully use a denman for my wash n go. I always end up with more frizz than normal. I was also thinking that the brush was removing products.

I definitely get more shrinkage with Mousse Def and my hair only lasts for a day or 2. But on that first day I get an amazing combination of volume and definition. It’s my favorite look for my hair, but for me it only is good for a day or 2.

LavenderMint

I believe so! The digital salon can be found at www.blackcurlmagic.com

I found it super interesting and helpful and will probably join off and on to get more information.

If you have Instagram follow @iamblackgirlcurls and @chocolatecurlsbeaty for more information!
@LavenderMint
I have never been able to successfully use a denman for my wash n go. I always end up with more frizz than normal. I was also thinking that the brush was removing products.

I definitely get more shrinkage with Mousse Def and my hair only lasts for a day or 2. But on that first day I get an amazing combination of volume and definition. It’s my favorite look for my hair, but for me it only is good for a day or 2.
Thank you!

I suspected it was the brush. At least it’s good for detangling. I’ll need to come up with a new strategy.

Shadow_Lace

Thanks to being more proactive yesterday! Wooo!

My pre-wash routine's time was so quick!
I skipped the detangling part of it altogether.
Since my hair was previously detangled, sectioned off & in 6 braids.

I cleansed with Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea.
Next, I used Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask as my lighter protein treatment.

(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed TGIN Rose Water Smoothing Leave-In, then re-sectioned my hair.
I covered the sectioned off hair with my microfiber towel from Lexxa Collection.

(On damp hair) I smoothed TGIN Rose Water Curl Defining Mousse onto each section, also dabbed a bit of Xtreme Clear gel onto my edges.
I'm currently air-drying my hair for a wash n go.

So I totally forgot to do a mix test!
But it turned out to be unnecessary since it's just a Leave-In & Mousse from the same line & brand.
Let's just say I lucked out!

On wards!

I actually had my eyes on the TGIN Rose Water mousse long before she actually put out the rest of the line.
Just I wasn't confident in my, lack of knowledge on, ingredients: Anti-humectants etc.

Nor could I really find any reviews on it.
As a styling product used for a wash n go.

Fast-forward, a few vids & numerous reviews later, I finally purchased it!
Gotta love those Ulta sales!

Same scent as the leave-in.
Nice slightly sweet, barely detectable/maybe a hint of Rosewater.
Didn't immediately feel drying upon my hair.
Very much a like the old-school mousse products as in consistency.
This isn't watery or foam-like, if that makes any sense.

Does actually seem like a decent curl defining product, so far.

This is a mousse, tho.
So I'm not expecting any major holding power.

However, I did want the light & airy effect.

& truthfully, I just wanted a styling product that I knew wouldn't take too long to dry.

LavenderMint

My hair is all done & was almost completely dry an hour later.
It was the quickest wash and go I’ve ever had. After washing & conditioning (with Innersense products) she cocktailed AG cloud foam & Innersense I Create Volume. My hair was completely coated & saturated. Then she used UFD Curly Magic on top.

A lot was cut off but I liked the shape & weight with the KCCC before it was washed. (My before/during photo) My after photo was right after stepping out of the salon. My hair looks so different (and kinda dry..? or is that my imagination?) from what I’m used to and I’m not sold on this shape but 1- knowing I’ll be getting more cut with time & 2- I’ll try heavier products, I’m ok for now. Besides, I rarely do wng these days but she suggested it as an easy do for keeping my hair moisturized.

Beyond all of that, my stylist was super knowledgeable and actually suggested I go ahead and join the digital salon when I brought it up. She knew exactly what/who I was talking about and was all for it.

It’s sad that the other thing that stood out was how she took her time detangling my hair and never ripped through with the brush. I made a follow up appointment for next month and I can’t wait!

Attachments

• D9432245-BDCA-4AC4-B524-63020C742843.jpeg
    D9432245-BDCA-4AC4-B524-63020C742843.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 3FFCF4E6-DDD2-4E74-9B81-E40D65CBDAFF.jpeg
    3FFCF4E6-DDD2-4E74-9B81-E40D65CBDAFF.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 38

Britt

It’s interesting you all are mentioning the Doux’s mousse. My sister called me in tears earlier this week because she tried a wng with the leave-in and the mousse for the first time. It left her looking like she was “cosplaying Fredrick Douglass” (her words)- which is fine if that’s the results you’re used to but her wng usually look like twist outs. She said she’s used it before for twist-outs with great results but not a wng. I’ve never seen her so upset about her hair. Seeing that you guys used it successfully for wng, I’ll ask her about it.
(And I have it too so I’m taking notes!)
I don't like mousse for my wash n go. It's cool for having fluffy hair on day one but if you want a few days out of your wash n go, mousse isn't it. Depends on your texture/type also. I need gel since it's heavier. Even when I've used mousse over gel it doesn't give me the same results as using a gel. A leave in and mousse... that's asking for a fro lol :nono: .. that's for if you have finer and silkier textured hair.

oneastrocurlie

It’s interesting you all are mentioning the Doux’s mousse. My sister called me in tears earlier this week because she tried a wng with the leave-in and the mousse for the first time. It left her looking like she was “cosplaying Fredrick Douglass” (her words)- which is fine if that’s the results you’re used to but her wng usually look like twist outs. She said she’s used it before for twist-outs with great results but not a wng. I’ve never seen her so upset about her hair. Seeing that you guys used it successfully for wng, I’ll ask her about it.
(And I have it too so I’m taking notes!)

I use a mousse solo under two conditions. 1. I know I'm redoing my hair again within 2-3 days and 2. I'm going to the salon the next day. My stylist wants you styled in a wng with minimal product. And since I know she's going to rewash it, for me, it's no need to use what I typically use for a lasting wng. I don't even bother doing small sections.

LavenderMint

I don't like mousse for my wash n go. It's cool for having fluffy hair on day one but if you want a few days out of your wash n go, mousse isn't it. Depends on your texture/type also. I need gel since it's heavier. Even when I've used mousse over gel it doesn't give me the same results as using a gel. A leave in and mousse... that's asking for a fro lol :nono: .. that's for if you have finer and silkier textured hair.
That’s what I’m figuring. Parts have already fluffed out. I can’t wash again until Tuesday; if it won’t be zoom friendly I’ll just do a puff or two in the front & call it day.

LavenderMint

I love your cut @LavenderMint !!!

Glad you found a stylist you like! Maybe the digital salon and your new stylist can help you find a product cocktail you really enjoy.
Thanks!! I’m looking forward to it. I haven’t been doing wng in a long while but I still have so much stuff. I’m going to try to use up what I have here first.
Super curious about curl activator & s-curl, for starters. Wetline caused a terrible breakout on my back the last time I used it so that’s out. I have some Mane Choice gel, a Curl Junkie aloe fix gel, and a Dr somebody or other gel.

OhTall1

Got my 'do cut back to a tapered fro.

faithVA

After going to the stylist in June and also after the weather starting cooling off, I was using less water in my wngs. I went back to adding more water and then a layer of gel. Not sure if I have more curl definition or not. I do remember it was easier for me to refresh it after 3 days by just spraying. I will see how this goes. I hate drying my hair but I definitely have to dry it if I'm going to add more water. I did my wng at 9 am. I drove with the window down, walked outside in the sun for a few hours, drove home with the window down, worked in the yard, went for another walk and my hair is still wet :look: Time to pull out the diffuser.

toaster

After going to the stylist in June and also after the weather starting cooling off, I was using less water in my wngs. I went back to adding more water and then a layer of gel. Not sure if I have more curl definition or not. I do remember it was easier for me to refresh it after 3 days by just spraying. I will see how this goes. I hate drying my hair but I definitely have to dry it if I'm going to add more water. I did my wng at 9 am. I drove with the window down, walked outside in the sun for a few hours, drove home with the window down, worked in the yard, went for another walk and my hair is still wet :look: Time to pull out the diffuser.
I went back to gel as a base layer this wash and my “wash hour” took 10 minutes less than it does with the mousse. I have to spend 15 extra minutes under the dryer, but it might be worth it?

Lots of water and the layer of gel adds so much slip.

Maybe in the winter time you’ll be running to your dryer

faithVA

I went back to gel as a base layer this wash and my “wash hour” took 10 minutes less than it does with the mousse. I have to spend 15 extra minutes under the dryer, but it might be worth it?

Lots of water and the layer of gel adds so much slip.

Maybe in the winter time you’ll be running to your dryer

Hopefully with the gel as base your hair last longer and that makes it worth it.

I think I can avoid the dryer as long as my hair is short and get away with diffusing before I go to bed. At least that is what I am hoping. I really, really, really, really hate a dryer. I will find as many ways as possible to avoid it.

toaster

Aww I missed the mousse discussion above @Britt @oneastrocurlie !!!

I love mousse alone or over gel, but I wash my hair on day 4 or day 5 basically no matter what. I’ve never tried to style my hair to last for 7-10 days.

Mousse over gel is my go to, I know it will look great combo. I never considered my hair fine or silky, but my hair stylist said that my hair is fine except for a patch in the crown, and it does reflect light. Is there a medium silky? Lol. When I think of silky I think of a certain hair type that I don’t have. I probably need to recondition my thinking.

naturalagain2

I so agree. Tried it on Saturday and areas that are usually defined were more fluffy looking.

Britt

Aww I missed the mousse discussion above @Britt @oneastrocurlie !!!

I love mousse alone or over gel, but I wash my hair on day 4 or day 5 basically no matter what. I’ve never tried to style my hair to last for 7-10 days.

Mousse over gel is my go to, I know it will look great combo. I never considered my hair fine or silky, but my hair stylist said that my hair is fine except for a patch in the crown, and it does reflect light. Is there a medium silky? Lol. When I think of silky I think of a certain hair type that I don’t have. I probably need to recondition my thinking.
I can look at your hair pics and see that mousse over gel would work for your hair. It looks like it would lay well with the mousse and gel plus your hair is longer also so that's added weight also. Your hair sorta reminds me of this video Her hair looks very uniform and smooth with a looser texture. Even my looser areas (the top) still look better with gel on gel lol.

Britt

I so agree. Tried it on Saturday and areas that are usually defined were more fluffy looking.
Yesss, same here my looser and silkier areas still fluff out too much and my hair also feels drier.

I'm curious to see how my hair behaves as the weather is getting colder and drier. Last week I went 5 days with my wash and go and my hair felt soft still on the fifth day. I'm wondering if it's because it might have been a little humidity in the air? Idk?

toaster

@Britt thats so funny I was looking at her Instagram page yesterday!

I agree that my hair resembles hers! When her wash and go was my length, it was much curlier versus the tight waves that mine has now, but I’d be over the moon if my hair grew like hers!

Last edited:

LavenderMint

I’m looking forward to washing & styling my hair tomorrow. My schedule will be wash days on Tuesday and Friday (because I can start as soon as I’m done with work). I’ll have to turn the fan on to dry before bed, though. I need a diffuser; the devacurl hand shaped one is on my shortlist unless anyone has a different suggestion....?

Reading the posts in the gel+mousse/mousse only/mousse+gel discussion made me realize: my stylist TALKED about mousse over gel to get rid of gel’s lasting stickiness but what she DID was gel over mousse which had much softer hold and less definition.

OhTall1

Has anyone seen a finger coil tool? The stylist I saw on Saturday used one. It was smooth, black and the size of a small screwdriver. He used it all over, even on my sides which are relatively short right now. I didn't ask him about it while I was there because I thought "I'm never going to put that much effort into finger coils." Then I changed my mind. I figured it would be easy enough to find of the internet but nope.

toaster

@LavenderMint I’m in the camp that the product with hold (or the most hold, if you later gels) should be the first product on your hair. So, I don’t use a leave in unless I’m going to a softer set.

I know others in the thread always use a leave in and that works for them.

That’s why rigid rules don’t really work for me, who is anyone to say what’s “right.” Even the professionals disagree.