Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

@toaster I’m so sorry that he cut off more than you wanted. What did you ask him to do? Did you tell him that you weren’t happy?
I told him I was growing my hair out and I liked the shape, I just wanted it cleaned up.

I’m way too shy to tell him I’m unhappy. I’ll have to find another salon to go to now, because it would be awkward if I went to mona for a cut.

Now I’m second guessing all the stylist advice about frequent trims as well. I never trimmed my hair frequently and it grew, retained length, and was healthy.

If they can’t trim your hair without chopping it, I don’t know what to do.

I’ve noticed a lot of the people I follow are giving people hair cuts with angles, etc. but there has to be a happy medium.

toaster

@toaster I know you didn’t want this much cut off, but I think it looks really nice.
I also think you should go back to Mona if you liked her work. I don’t think it will be awkward.
Thank you! I acknowledge I’m being dramatic. I think the same shape could have been achieved if he left my longest layer where it was and brought everything else up a level.

But oh well. Here we are. I’ll see how it looks when I style it myself midweek.

oneastrocurlie

I told him I was growing my hair out and I liked the shape, I just wanted it cleaned up.

I’m way too shy to tell him I’m unhappy. I’ll have to find another salon to go to now, because it would be awkward if I went to mona for a cut.

Now I’m second guessing all the stylist advice about frequent trims as well. I never trimmed my hair frequently and it grew, retained length, and was healthy.

If they can’t trim your hair without chopping it, I don’t know what to do.

I’ve noticed a lot of the people I follow are giving people hair cuts with angles, etc. but there has to be a happy medium.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Mona if that's who you are happy with. Finding a good stylist is hard. I've had to flip flop from my main girl (before she went on her own) to another stylist in the salon because she was just too booked up.

I get trims 2-3x a year max. My girl told me I didn't need to come more than that if my goal is growing it out.

toaster

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Mona if that's who you are happy with. Finding a good stylist is hard. I've had to flip flop from my main girl (before she went on her own) to another stylist in the salon because she was just too booked up.

I get trims 2-3x a year max. My girl told me I didn't need to come more than that if my goal is growing it out.
Thanks! I’m definitely not getting a trim any time soon. Maybe June or July. By then I’ll hopefully have calmed down, grown 3 inches of hair, and will have a better idea of what I want to do and who I’ll let touch my hair.

I’m just so irritated right now.

GettingKinky

Thank you! I acknowledge I’m being dramatic. I think the same shape could have been achieved if he left my longest layer where it was and brought everything else up a level.

But oh well. Here we are. I’ll see how it looks when I style it myself midweek.
I don’t think you’re being dramatic, you worked hard to grow your hair and he cut way more than you wanted. I definitely think you should go back to Mona and I think you should message him and let him know that you are unhappy with how much hair he cut.

toaster

@toaster I think the cut looks beautiful but it’s not what you wanted which really sucks! I think it’s hard to trim curly hair in a curly state, and not take off a lot. Maybe in the future you could try one curly cut a year and blow out your hair in between if you need to clean up your ends?
So sorry about your bad salon experience :( :bighug:
Thank you! I think maybe I need to be more clear when I get a trim.

I know hair styling is an art and everyone wants angles and volume etc., but I just want my ends cleaned up and a soft shape that doesn’t look horrible. I don’t need something that needs to be cleaned up every 10 weeks and I’m okay with a hair out of place.

Just need to find someone who’s focus maybe isn’t social media...

toaster

I washed my hair today to see the real damage. Plus I prefer the way I style my hair with kinky curly.

Still under the dryer, but the haircut makes no sense. I have super short pieces next to super long pieces. The back of my is maybe 4 inches shorter and in the middle it’s 8 inches shorter.

In the interim I’m going to up my hair washing to 3 times a week.

In three weeks I’m going to assess how I feel and write a message to the stylist. I’m going to mention that I’ll be booking an appointment with Mona in the second half of 2021 and I hope it won’t be awkward.

I really think I need a corrective cut, but I need 6-8 months before I even think about scissors.

See this under the dryer picture for an example of the unevenness:

Attachments

• 285E11D0-BB5C-4AF6-8CFA-94090AF0AB51.jpeg
    285E11D0-BB5C-4AF6-8CFA-94090AF0AB51.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Shadow_Lace

Ok so possible new lighter weight cream/lotion combo? Also another (new to me) d/c.

For my co-wash/detangling agent, it was the Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Fortifying Conditioner.
Cleansed my hair with Curly Hair Solutions Energizing Shampoo.
As my d/c, it was Honey's Handmade Avocado + French Green Clay Minute Deep Conditioner.

(On wet-to-damp hair) I smoothed OGX Pracaxi Oil Combing Cream, then re-sectioned my hair.

(On damp hair) I raked then smoothed Miss Jessie's Multicultural Curls Styling Lotion onto each section.
Finally I smoothed Giovanni 2 Chic Ultra Luxurious Hair Serum Cherry Blossom + Rose Petals all over it.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

Miss Jessie's Multicultural Curls Styling Lotion is still my favorite lightweight hair product!
Definitely worth the price!

Totally passed the damp mix test!

In addition to, passing the wet/damp mix test with the Giovanni Hair Serum.

As for the Honey's Handmade Avocado + French Green Clay Minute Deep Conditioner.

It's a creamy-consistency. Not too light, nor too heavy/thick.
Awesome slip!
Scent: light, sweet-fruity, possibly grape-like.
The scent doesn't linger on the hair.
It can easily disappear beneath my leave-in.

faithVA

faithVA

Thank you! Even the woman that washed my hair complimented my styling skills. I’ve really learned a lot the past few months.
I looked at your before and after pictures and I maybe there was just a difference in understanding. It looks like she gave you what the A's call a 3 dimensional shape where you have length and volume and therefore the layers. And as this style grows out it will grow out correctly and give you a nice shape and volume.

Looking at your before pictures and your recent wash it looks like you like to wear your hair 2 dimensional without a lot of volume. Is that possible? With the volume add, I think the cut is perfect. You do lose length initially because the shape has to be cut in.

I looked at the last picture of your comparison and the cut looked like an attempt to shape.

I know you plan to go back to Mona, but if this makes sense to you it is something to keep in mind. Also if you ever need to go to someone other than Mona, then you may want someone who does a cut on your freshly washed and styled hair. You have the length to do that type of cut.

Hopefully, you will enjoy the way it grows out. The first month is hard I know. :bighug:

faithVA

Since we are talking about drama with cuts, it is almost a full month since my styling. I have pinpointed what I don't like. The majority of my hair is perfect. What I don't like is the close cropping of my sides and my back. Because I'm hair lazy and I don't dry my hair, my sides don't blend naturally. So, this gives me a talking point when I visit her again. I can explain better what I want. I want a more gradual fade on my sides and I want my back to stay fuller, without the taper.

But after 30 days, I can see things starting to grow out and blend together. I can see the cut coming together and see how it is going to grow out properly.

Saturday, I styled with just UFD and no ICH. Day 1 wasn't so great, but day 2 looked much better because the curls really took over. I haven't looked at my head today yet :lol: But since I'm in the house, I can save my ICH until my hair is a bit longer.

I wish I had the space for a rolling dryer. One day!

toaster

I looked at your before and after pictures and I maybe there was just a difference in understanding. It looks like she gave you what the A's call a 3 dimensional shape where you have length and volume and therefore the layers. And as this style grows out it will grow out correctly and give you a nice shape and volume.

Looking at your before pictures and your recent wash it looks like you like to wear your hair 2 dimensional without a lot of volume. Is that possible? With the volume add, I think the cut is perfect. You do lose length initially because the shape has to be cut in.

I looked at the last picture of your comparison and the cut looked like an attempt to shape.

I know you plan to go back to Mona, but if this makes sense to you it is something to keep in mind. Also if you ever need to go to someone other than Mona, then you may want someone who does a cut on your freshly washed and styled hair. You have the length to do that type of cut.

Hopefully, you will enjoy the way it grows out. The first month is hard I know. :bighug:
Yes exactly! They gave me a 3D cut and you should have seen the amount of manipulation it took for them to fluff my hair out when styling. That is not what my hair naturally wants to do. It doesn’t “grow” over the week. It doesn’t really sit out. It just hangs down.

Now that I’ve stayed the 3D cut, it just looks like the back of my head is a W. I have no intentions of trying to diffuse and fluff my hair into something voluminous.

You’re definitely correct and now I know how to tell the next stylist how I wear my hair and what I’m looking for.

I prefer when my hair is all one length, with face framing pieces.

My plan is to grow it out during 2021 and maybe end the year with a chop so my hair is all one length again. Hopefully my shorter layers will be a decent length and I won’t feel like I’m starting over.

naturalagain2

YAAAASSSSSSS!!!!

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
These are interesting points to consider!! That explains why the first pics looked really smoothly curved at the bottom, yet the ones after showed actual unevenness! Distinguishing these things is confusing. It ought to be explained by all Deva-cut-type stylists off the bat so we can choose.

From these posts (thank you) I remembered for myself,
The best haircut I got, I had requested that she please leave the crown MUCH longer than they normally do.
Because the hair there is the curliest, PLUS my head is flatter there (the actual skull)! :lol: So the hair
lays like a table-cloth, up top, if they cut the crown how they normally do for other people.

I forgot to mention it to the lady this time around (and she is new for me, so she did not know).
Still it would not have made a difference.

Had hacked away the most at the crown area anyway, as the most damage was there (from the sun rays hitting that place more) so she didn't have much to work with there. :violin:

faithVA

Yes exactly! They gave me a 3D cut and you should have seen the amount of manipulation it took for them to fluff my hair out when styling. That is not what my hair naturally wants to do. It doesn’t “grow” over the week. It doesn’t really sit out. It just hangs down.

Now that I’ve stayed the 3D cut, it just looks like the back of my head is a W. I have no intentions of trying to diffuse and fluff my hair into something voluminous.

You’re definitely correct and now I know how to tell the next stylist how I wear my hair and what I’m looking for.

I prefer when my hair is all one length, with face framing pieces.

My plan is to grow it out during 2021 and maybe end the year with a chop so my hair is all one length again. Hopefully my shorter layers will be a decent length and I won’t feel like I’m starting over.

Maybe instead of doing a chop, just do a gradual merge. Yeah, I made that term up. But at the end of the year, make a minor adjustment to gradually remove the layers but while still enjoying some length. But it's too early to talk about it now. Hopefully you will have great progress in the next 6 months and then you will know more.

faithVA

I have learned a lot this year. Thank you @GettingKinky for getting me started on this path. Thank you to all the ladies that share tips, conversation, encouragement and keep us motivated. This was one of my most favorite threads when I wasn't wearing wng's and not it is my favorite now that I wear wng's.

2020 has been trying in many ways but hopefully there will be some good take-aways for 2021 that move is in a great direction.

I'm not going to lie though. If my hair ever got long enough, I'm sure I would cleanse, condition and style it in 1 braid (lol). That would be the end of my wng life.

Happy Holiday Season ladies!

toaster

Are we keeping this thread for 2021? I love it here. I can post my random wash and go thoughts and I love seeing everyone else’s pictures and routines.

If we are keeping this thread, here is my length check as of today. I’ll probably try to do these every 2/3 months so I can track growth. It’s so hard to see when wearing wash and go’s. I feel like my hair has to grow two inches to look different when curly. E0433937-E661-4097-A2B4-8C5348E9DB60.jpeg06AA9094-BBDF-4707-AFCF-CAB7D8DA894F.jpeg