Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Shadow_Lace

I found a new fav combo!

Used Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Fortifying Conditioner as my co-wash/detangling agent.
Curly Hair Solutions Energizing Shampoo to cleanse my hair.
The Giovanni NutraFix Hair Reconstructor was my strengthening treatment.

(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed the JAZZ UP MY CURLZ Grapeseed Buttercream, then re-sectioned my hair.

(On re-wet hair) I raked/then smoothed Xtreme Clear Gel onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

As for the JAZZ UP MY CURLZ Grapeseed Buttercream... It's still my favorite moisturizing, styling cream!

I honestly thought of pairing it with gels a few months ago... but I was still on the fence (well practically all over the place in terms of detangling/haircare).
It just got pushed to the back burner...

Any who, totally passed the wet mix test!

I did have to re-wet my damp hair.

Only because I wanted the smoothest application.

Jasmin advises to apply her Grapeseed Buttercream on soaking wet hair.
I think this maybe be the most optimal for ppl with low porosity hair.

I might try this again (sometime in the future) on damp hair. Just to see if there's any changes/issues.

So far, this has been 1 of my best wash n gos of the entire year! :toocool:

LavenderMint

My last set I used UFD with Wetlne on top. Crunchy, super-defined, mostly root to tip, curls!
Kinda going backwards, I noticed that while I was in the shower, emulsifying everything (AND staying under the water) gave much better results- even the deep conditioner.
BUT in regards to my last combo of UFD/Aussie Instant Freeze- it’s a no, never again. Once again I had sticky goopiness stuck on my hair. It looked and felt terrible. At this point, I’m not willing to try layering the other gels I found in my closet even though they haven’t expired. This also makes me think I need to diversify my shampoo collection a bit more- it seems nothing but more time and a LOT of wasted water can get that stuff off if I don’t want to use Dawn again.

Reading about toaster’s cut & 2D vs 3D has been interesting. Either way, your hair looks gorgeous @toaster :bighug: This kind of makes me realize that part of what I’ve always wanted for my hair is for it to lay the way yours does. My wng journey has showed me it’s probably not going to happen, though. I don’t know if it’s due to my length, density or the diameter of my coils but it’s interesting.

I hope we can keep the thread for next year. You ladies are awesome!

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Okay, so i
I found a new fav combo!

Used Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Fortifying Conditioner as my co-wash/detangling agent.
Curly Hair Solutions Energizing Shampoo to cleanse my hair.
The Giovanni NutraFix Hair Reconstructor was my strengthening treatment.

(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed the JAZZ UP MY CURLZ Grapeseed Buttercream, then re-sectioned my hair.

(On re-wet hair) I raked/then smoothed Xtreme Clear Gel onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

As for the JAZZ UP MY CURLZ Grapeseed Buttercream... It's still my favorite moisturizing, styling cream!

I honestly thought of pairing it with gels a few months ago... but I was still on the fence (well practically all over the place in terms of detangling/haircare).
It just got pushed to the back burner...

Any who, totally passed the wet mix test!

I did have to re-wet my damp hair.

Only because I wanted the smoothest application.

Jasmin advises to apply her Grapeseed Buttercream on soaking wet hair.
I think this maybe be the most optimal for ppl with low porosity hair.

I might try this again (sometime in the future) on damp hair. Just to see if there's any changes/issues.

So far, this has been 1 of my best wash n gos of the entire year! :toocool:
The distinguishment b/w low porosity = soaking wet for product vs high porosity = damp, or blotted to be drier for product.

That would explain a lot. I'm gonna bookmark your post under 'Laws of Haircare' :headspin:it doesn't have to be 100% true but I like rules:peace:

Ladies ima join the for 2021 now that it's agreed upon that it'll be this thread.
Can chime in without feeling like a thread-crasher :yep: Challenging myself to do the Chicoro method, pre-shampooing :woot:

naturalagain2

I'm for keeping this thread for next year. Can the title be updated w;ith the upcoming new year?

Girls, girls, girls. Why is this my first time trying Soultanicals???? Like it took my hair to another level. Some of my Black Friday purchases from them came in so I wash my hair last night. I just got a trim on Sunday so my hair has a fresh start.
I cowashed w/ As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner 2x
Then Deep Conditioned w/ Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic Deep Conditioner baybeeee this stuff will never leave my stash if I can help it!! I deep conditioned with heat for 20 mins and rinsed it out with cool water. My hair was smooth like butta!!
I bought the Soultanicals Knot Sauce Coil Detangler and Can't Believe its Knot Butta from Sally's the other day and used those in that order. My hair felt so good!
Then as my styler I used my favorite Aunt Jackie's Ice Curls Glossy Curling Jelly. My hair feels so soft and moisturized.

Camille Rose is my favorite brand but Soultanicals is really trying to take their spot. I bought a bunch of other things I bought from them (over 13 items) I can't wait to try them all. Here is a length check pic and my wash and go wet and dry:

Hair 1.jpgHair 2.jpgWash n go 1.jpgWash n go 2.jpg

Last edited:

Britt

Thank you! I think maybe I need to be more clear when I get a trim.

I know hair styling is an art and everyone wants angles and volume etc., but I just want my ends cleaned up and a soft shape that doesn’t look horrible. I don’t need something that needs to be cleaned up every 10 weeks and I’m okay with a hair out of place.

Just need to find someone who’s focus maybe isn’t social media...
Hi @toaster sorry to hear about your cut. It sounds like you need a regular trim for maintenance. You may not need a curly professional for that. Just a regular stylist that will blow dry and trim your ends. You already know how to maintain your curly hair, just get a regular trim.

I still hate how my hair was cut but a different stylist even though I did like the way the stylist managed my hair, so I feel disappointed because I would go to her but I don't like her cutting skills.

Britt

I washed my hair today to see the real damage. Plus I prefer the way I style my hair with kinky curly.

Still under the dryer, but the haircut makes no sense. I have super short pieces next to super long pieces. The back of my is maybe 4 inches shorter and in the middle it’s 8 inches shorter.

In the interim I’m going to up my hair washing to 3 times a week.

In three weeks I’m going to assess how I feel and write a message to the stylist. I’m going to mention that I’ll be booking an appointment with Mona in the second half of 2021 and I hope it won’t be awkward.

I really think I need a corrective cut, but I need 6-8 months before I even think about scissors.

See this under the dryer picture for an example of the unevenness:
I see it here... as I read this post I thought that's exactly how I feel about my haircut. It's uneven and there's no flow, my hair is just there. Since my hair is short and medium with fine density in some areas, the right cut makes my hair look a lot more full and styled and better overall.

toaster

@Britt absolutely!!! I honestly think I’ll be trimming my own ends in 2021. I trimmed my hair myself for 6+ years and had no issues.

Eventually I’ll want another curly cut because I do want to get back to the shape that I had. But that’s down the road.

I hope you get to a point where you love the shape of your hair!

faithVA

I'm for keeping this thread for next year. Can the title be updated w;ith the upcoming new year?

Girls, girls, girls. Why is this my first time trying Soultanicals???? Like it took my hair to another level. Some of my Black Friday purchases from them came in so I wash my hair last night. I just got a trim on Sunday so my hair has a fresh start.
I cowashed w/ As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner 2x
Then Deep Conditioned w/ Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic Deep Conditioner baybeeee this stuff will never leave my stash if I can help it!! I deep conditioned with heat for 20 mins and rinsed it out with cool water. My hair was smooth like butta!!
I bought the Soultanicals Knot Sauce Coil Detangler and Can't Believe its Knot Butta from Sally's the other day and used those in that order. My hair felt so good!
Then as my styler I used my favorite Aunt Jackie's Ice Curls Glossy Curling Jelly. My hair feels so soft and moisturized.

Camille Rose is my favorite brand but Soultanicals is really trying to take their spot. I bought a bunch of other things I bought from them (over 13 items) I can't wait to try them all. Here is a length check pic and my wash and go wet and dry:

View attachment 466335View attachment 466337View attachment 466339View attachment 466341
OMG Look at all of those curly ringlets. Fabulous!

oneastrocurlie

Are we keeping this thread for 2021? I love it here. I can post my random wash and go thoughts and I love seeing everyone else’s pictures and routines.

If we are keeping this thread, here is my length check as of today. I’ll probably try to do these every 2/3 months so I can track growth. It’s so hard to see when wearing wash and go’s. I feel like my hair has to grow two inches to look different when curly. View attachment 466319View attachment 466321

I should do this. I know my hair is growing but I swear it looks the same throughout the year.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Bobby pins for short hair (but not the cheapest of the cheap, with rough paint on them that break your hair) are a lifesaver
for looking 'together'--and keeping ends out of the way, with little to no manipulation. I think I'll be doing only this, with braids and twists if I feel like it, till my hair reaches SL. It's such peace of mind, convinced it'll help with length retention.

But I don't go for this look , I try to keep them to a minimum, dark and blending into my hair, or tucked out of sight
I guess this style has its place but not on me.

this one is nicer, but I'm glad for having natural curl tufts and texture...
sort of making braids look prettier and more stylized than this, too

VictoriousBrownFlower

@Britt absolutely!!! I honestly think I’ll be trimming my own ends in 2021. I trimmed my hair myself for 6+ years and had no issues.

Eventually I’ll want another curly cut because I do want to get back to the shape that I had. But that’s down the road.

i think u should.. i personally dont trust stylists to trim my hair because they really be butchering people sometimes for no other reason then spite. If my hair gets jacked up its an easier pill to swallow knowing i did it to myself rather than paying for some one to do it for me. just my 2 cents

Shadow_Lace

toaster

She's one of my favorite Youtubers, Jasmin Fox!

I found her a few years ago!
Truthfully though...
It's only been about 2-ish years ago, that I really became an active subscriber (to the majority of my subscriptions)!

She started off with DIY mixtures and occasional product reviews.
So, yep! I was totally looking out for the new product!

I sometimes gravitate towards Youtuber's who make products vs the entire lines/brands outside of Youtube.
I like watching the progression of how/why this product was produced & what it provides, as in benefits.

You're welcome! :)

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
everytime i do a wash and go i'm suprised at the length. My 4th yr natural has really been a joy... i cant wait to see what yr #5 brings me. Heres a wash and go i did yesterday
day 1View attachment 466357

day 2View attachment 466365

Kyoooot! I LOVE how you wear your hair, it looks so (cringe word coming up) vintage with the curls + length.
I love anything that hints at 'vintage' - that's a plus of having hair that's not like, tailbone length.
Not that tailbone length wasn't done back then, but the big actresses and models had shorter hair anyway

Any links for that headband online ? :eyebrows2: hehe

VictoriousBrownFlower

awww thank you so much.... I love vintage too so thats a big compliment...

i got the headbands from claires... they have a ton of headbands like this but this is the one i have.....

Britt

Self trimming sounds good for you.
As for me, every time I look at my hair I curse or get upset, smdh. I just can't understand how she managed to totally butcher my hair into a choppy incohesive mess. I had a clear tapered shape going on and she ruined it. I feel stuck b/c I want my hair to get longer, but might have to cut it again just so it looks sensible. The bright side is that I'm working from home all this time.

toaster

Self trimming sounds good for you.
As for me, every time I look at my hair I curse or get upset, smdh. I just can't understand how she managed to totally butcher my hair into a choppy incohesive mess. I had a clear tapered shape going on and she ruined it. I feel stuck b/c I want my hair to get longer, but might have to cut it again just so it looks sensible. The bright side is that I'm working from home all this time.
Girllll. I felt every word you posted. I stay in my buff or loc sock because looking in the mirror makes me sad.
@faithVA told me to not even think about getting a shaping cut right now, so I’ll pass that advice on to you. I guarantee your hair is healthy and no one is thinking your hair is misshapen. Let it grow a little more and THEN get the corrective cut. You’ll feel like you lost less progress.

We can do this together.

Last edited: