2010 Hide Your Hair Challenge! (July 31st - Dec 31st)

Darn you for living in NJ when I'm way down here in LA:ohwell:

:bighug: I know it took me a long time to find someone who would braid my hair without hurting my scalp or cracking my hair off in the process.
I wrote here several times that when I started needing the braids people got braidnesia, I happened to be doing her hair and was complaining and she was like :rolleyes: and why didn't you ask me? I was like :perplexed You braid, (amazing your forget your little cousins do grow up) She has been my braider ever since.

See if there is a young girl in the area who braids, they pick up on skills and their talent is amazing :)

MsCOco My hubby confirmed I had a 2.5 inch cut :(
She cut about 5 months progress for me. I am going to attempt to get those inches back and still get to my goal by December 2011 of WL, I am going to most likely going to hide my hair until my goal. (and maybe after LOL)

Awww! I hate when that happens. But you're so dedicated to having healthy hair I have no doubt that you'll get those inches back and then some...especially with this challenge.:yep:

I'm in too. I'm currently 30 weeks post and this will help me with my transition. I've been getting the urge to relax lately and I'm trying to fight it!

Then this challenge came at the perfect time!:yep: Step away from the relaxer!

:bighug: I know it took me a long time to find someone who would braid my hair without hurting my scalp or cracking my hair off in the process.
I wrote here several times that when I started needing the braids people got braidnesia, I happened to be doing her hair and was complaining and she was like :rolleyes: and why didn't you ask me? I was like :perplexed You braid, (amazing your forget your little cousins do grow up) She has been my braider ever since.

See if there is a young girl in the area who braids, they pick up on skills and their talent is amazing :)

Yes I'm sure there are lots of young ladies around here doing sew-ins after the heads I've seen walking around here :lachen: The only hard part is finding someone that is good. The last girl I used to go to was fast and it looked really cute when she was done, but after 3 weeks the weave was loosening up and I'd have to get my mom to tighten the ends up back for me. That became too much of a pain. I found another girl on craigslist(daring I know) and her work is VERY nice and she specializes in curly hair so we shall see.

I'm in!!!!! At least I want to be in but let me just make sure I understand this... If I wear my hair in box braids like it is now and they rub up on my shoulders, then it is a low manipulation style but if I put my braids up into a ponytail, it is a protective style??? TIA I have a tooth ache and my thought processes are a bit off...

I consider box braids/ponytail a protective style. The key for me is to make sure to moisturize and seal your ends daily.

Awww! I hate when that happens. But you're so dedicated to having healthy hair I have no doubt that you'll get those inches back and then some...especially with this challenge.:yep:

I am going to be very dedicated to this challenge, I feel with this schedule I will get the luxury of PSing and still be able to wear my hair out enough not to miss it.

Yes I'm sure there are lots of young ladies around here doing sew-ins after the heads I've seen walking around here :lachen: The only hard part is finding someone that is good. The last girl I used to go to was fast and it looked really cute when she was done, but after 3 weeks the weave was loosening up and I'd have to get my mom to tighten the ends up back for me. That became too much of a pain. I found another girl on craigslist(daring I know) and her work is VERY nice and she specializes in curly hair so we shall see.

I only get it braided for my wigs, try it ;)

I am going to be very dedicated to this challenge, I feel with this schedule I will get the luxury of PSing and still be able to wear my hair out enough not to miss it.

I only get it braided for my wigs, try it ;)

When I only have braids under my wig, I always get anxious and take them out too soon the second they get a little loose. Quick to pull the trigger I guess so I get the sew-in so I can make sure I keep my butt from taking them out early as usual.

When I only have braids under my wig, I always get anxious and take them out too soon the second they get a little loose. Quick to pull the trigger I guess so I get the sew-in so I can make sure I keep my butt from taking them out early as usual.

:look: me too :lachen:

We both have that problem, so I have to get my guns up and keep my hands out this time.

Hey y'all!

This is my second week in braids - I haven't been able to keep them longer than a week at a time, so I had my hair rebraided today.

I would love to be able to keep them for a full two weeks at a time but I get itchy (always been that way), impatient, and take them out when they get loose.

I also wash my hair in braids - makes them loose I know. I hope this challenge cures my hands in hair problem.

Okay you braiding experts, I have a question:

What are you using to moisturize?
Do you have any "anti-itch" products, or your own mix for it?

,,,, thanks.

Last edited:
Hey y'all!

This is my second week in braids - I haven't been able to keep them longer than a week at a time, so I had my hair rebraided today.

I would love to be able to keep them for a full two weeks at a time but I get itchy (always been that way), impatient, and take them out when they get loose.

I also wash my hair in braids - makes them loose I know. I hope this challenge cures my hands in hair problem.

,,,, thanks.

I am no braid expert but I've asked a couple and they suggested Vital Braid Spray or Vidal Braid spray, and Scalpecin.

I am using water mixed with leave in to moisturize, to scared to try s-curl or any of that stuff :)

Hey y'all!

,,,, thanks.

I'm in the same boat. I can't wear braids or wigs to save my life. My scalp just starts itching like crazy. I would be interested in knowing what everyone else uses as well.

I'm in. This will work out perfect because I will be taking a swimming class this semester & will be keeping my hair braided this whole time. I'm trying to reach BSL (fingers crossed)!!!

I'm in also. I have been hiding my hair for a while anyway so this one will be easy for me. I am presently wearing extension braids and will continue wearing them until the end of the year I think. I am in the gym again and wearing wigs just don't cut it with all the sweating and everything!

Hey y'all!

,,,, thanks.

I am using BRX Braid Spray mixed with Aphogee Green Tea restructurizer leave-in and I alternate it with S-Curl Moisturizing Spray. I do get the itchies after a few days so I wash it with diluted shampoo, poured over my scalp in the shower and rinse, then condition pretty much the same way.

I'm in, I really want to make my goal this year.

ETA I will be wearing weaves, I forgot how much I love them.

Last edited:
I want to join, but I am confused based on the various answers here, would my wash and go or a twist out be enough for this challenge to wear it down, or do I have to wear it up each day and also would just wearing it up be enough or do I have to "hide" hair under wig or something like that too?

Sorry but I'm new :perplexed

I want to join, but I am confused based on the various answers here, would my wash and go or a twist out be enough for this challenge to wear it down, or do I have to wear it up each day and also would just wearing it up be enough or do I have to "hide" hair under wig or something like that too?

I ain't even new and I'm like will my twa count :look:? All I can do is wash & go's. You will never see my full length because I'm a 4a with some shrinkage. I have no interest in straightening either. Once my hair gets longer I will start doing twists and buns if I can but that may be a minute. All that to ask....can I join?

I took down my flat twists/box braids so i could dye my hair black, and now I am happy to announce that my lovely black hair is flat twisted and BUNNED!! Not with my real hair of course, i braided some kanekalon hair and wrapped it around my lil half ponytail. I plan to do this for slightly over a year. Bunning for a year would end my personal challenge on 21 JUL 2011, but my 2 year anniversary is 15 AUG so I'm gonna keep it up til then and do a HUGE reveal. I'm aiming to be full APL when this is over.

I would really like to join.. but im in the Castor oil challenge and im supposed to reveal my hair in sept. Do i still qualify to join?

Wash n' gos and twistouts count. The key is to:
  • Make sure you're not showing your true length.
  • Use very little manipulation.
  • Moisturize and seal regularly.
I ain't even new and I'm like will my twa count :look:? All I can do is wash & go's. You will never see my full length because I'm a 4a with some shrinkage. I have no interest in straightening either. Once my hair gets longer I will start doing twists and buns if I can but that may be a minute. All that to ask....can I join?

Yes ma'am, your TWA definitely counts and yes you can join.:yep:

Wow I just looked at the reveals in the other thread. I'm in! I want to see how much I can retain by December 31st this year as a total DIYer. I'm juicing, bunning and braiding.

Back