Hide Your Hair Challenge (June 15 - December 15) Support Thread

MochaEyeCandy

I finally know how to cornrow my own hair, I look a damn mess but it's good enough for me. :lachen: I'm wigging it anyhow. I'm looking for a new phony pony puff as well...the one I have now is too small.

naturalepiphany

Since the challenge started I've been wearing the micros/weave style. So its been great hiding the length somewhat considering I always wear the braids pinned back. I always have a habit of braiding my hair to the ends of my natural hair so there isn't any left out. Otherwise I feel its not really a protective style personally because then my ends wouldn't be protected. But, Since I braid to the ends I'll know the length of my hair.

The dilemma I had was that I really want to keep my hair in braids for the rest of the year and through this challenge. But I think I've found a solution for this problem and that is to get lace braids instead of regular micros. That way the braids are covered by the remain hair sort of like these on this site.

Last edited:

ad0rkabletash

*bump!*

So far everything is going well. I wore my hair out 90% of the time, so I'm really surprised that I haven't gotten bored with buns. It's definitely helping me deal with these hot temperatures though!

I'm thinking about getting a couple of half wigs, but I'm not too sure yet. I'd never even HEARD of half wigs before I joined so that'll be a new thing for me! If I chicken out on that one, I'll just do some phony pony styles.

fyb87

Still wearing my twists. I re-do them every 2-3 days since I only use conditoner. They start looking crazy. Tried wearing a ponytail, but my head hurts after a few hours.

kooskoos

I'm in a curlformer set today, but I didn't pin them up. I know the length of my hair is still hidden, but it just doesn't feel the same :lachen:! I think I'll go back to updos tomorrow :grin:.

Titansgirl

*bump!*

So far everything is going well. I wore my hair out 90% of the time, so I'm really surprised that I haven't gotten bored with buns. It's definitely helping me deal with these hot temperatures though!

I'm thinking about getting a couple of half wigs, but I'm not too sure yet. I'd never even HEARD of half wigs before I joined so that'll be a new thing for me! If I chicken out on that one, I'll just do some phony pony styles.

The half wigs are really working out for me. This prevents me from weaving my hair. I can get to my scalp easily. I just started wearing them for the 1st time about a month ago. Now I just don't want to do any other protective styles, but the half wigs. I have a straight one, curly one, and a kinky one. These allow me to change up some and not get bored. Here is a picture of my straight one.

Attachments

• straight.jpg
    straight.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 11

foxee

Usually I just cornrow my hair under my (hairpinned) lacefront, but recently I started braiding it in a circle instead. I'm still perfecting my technique, but I really believe this is better for my ends as they're now hidden.

Tomorrow I am going to try my hand at making my own clip on extensions.

Titansgirl

Usually I just cornrow my hair under my (hairpinned) lacefront, but recently I started braiding it in a circle instead. I'm still perfecting my technique, but I really believe this is better for my ends as they're now hidden.

Tomorrow I am going to try my hand at making my own clip on extensions.

I really want to try a lacefront wig, but I'm too scared that it won't look real without some of my hair out. I would like to hide all of my hair.

Ms_Twana

I really want to try a lacefront wig, but I'm too scared that it won't look real without some of my hair out. I would like to hide all of my hair.

Girl, hair sisters has some on sale now. So, now is probably the best time to get them. That's what I'm going to do. :grin:

MochaEyeCandy

Just bought a new phony pony for my frohawk. I thought I'd be bored by now, but the weather in Toronto sucks, so I'm only too happy to hide my hair. :yep:

Titansgirl

I was going to flatironed my hair last week since it was at the 2 month point, but I have really been enjoying hiding my hair. My SO did get tired of my half wigs; so, I started doing wash & gos since last Monday. I'm loving my curls right now.

I'm still hiding my length......

Samory07

Hi Ladies! I need some help please. I would like to get my hair braided in two weeks but I'm not sure of any good braiding salons in my area. I would be catching the train to Philadelphia so I would like if it was something in walking distance from the station. Any help you ladies can give will be really appreciated.

sunnieb

Checking in and still bunning away. Just had to tell you ladies about a cute convo I had with my dh the other day:

Him: Why do you wear a bun everyday? When are you going to do something different with your hair?

Me: Babe, you know I'm protecting my hair by wearing it up everyday. I'm trying to get it healthy and grow it out, remember?

Him: You already did that!

I thought this was soooo cute! :yep: My hair is the longest it's ever been (and healthy), so he thinks I'm done. Poor baby, he doesn't realize that I'm in this for the long haul and it's not just a passing thing. :drunk:

I used my first pass to wear my hair out last week as a surprise for him. He took me out for lunch AND dinner! I guess he liked what he saw!

Ronnieaj

Checking in and still bunning away. Just had to tell you ladies about a cute convo I had with my dh the other day:

Him: Why do you wear a bun everyday? When are you going to do something different with your hair?

Me: Babe, you know I'm protecting my hair by wearing it up everyday. I'm trying to get it healthy and grow it out, remember?

I thought this was soooo cute! :yep: My hair is the longest it's ever been (and healthy), so he thinks I'm done. Poor baby, he doesn't realize that I'm in this for the long haul and it's not just a passing thing. :drunk:

I used my first pass to wear my hair out last week as a surprise for him. He took me out for lunch AND dinner! I guess he liked what he saw!

That is really adorable! Your hair looks great. Keep up the good work! :yep:

I'm still twisting away. I'll use a pass at the end of the month for my SO's birthday, then get some phony puffs and scarves, and alternate twisting with using a phony puff. I'm also going to attempt baggying the ends. My hair was short and I tried whole head baggying, but my hair didn't like that :nono:, so maybe this'll be better.

my1goodnerve

I've been in braids since the challenge began. The good news is that I'm not buying every product that folks are raving about, so I feel like a pj in rehab. The bad news is that I miss my hair. So, I took one braid down today telling myself that I needed to make sure that my current reggie was working, and that my hair was in good shape. It felt so good that I piled all the braids on top of my head, took my shirt off, and let that tiny section of hair fall on my back. I'm so pleased with my growth, and that was just the boost I needed to keep going. (And I'm sure the rest of the world is pleased that I am no longer topless.) Alright, I can do this...

Ms_Twana

Yeah, my hubby doesn't really get that either. He's like, okay you went natural to grow your hair and get it healthy. It's long and healthy now. Then that I relaxed, it's okay, your hair is long and healthy now...so wear it down. :lachen:

ellehair

still hiding my hair under wigs and half wigs daily.. rocking a wig by freetress this month called NY girl.. I love it, its so realistic, and i cant put it up in a pony with a head band or a clip on the top or just leave it alone and its so cute all for 19.99. this is one of my faves, but i do miss my hair, but i cant wait to see the progress!

Saffirejuiliet

Checking in. All summer I have been wearing braid-outs. In a few weeks, I think I will switch it up and do some twists/twist outs. So far I am doing good. :)

Last edited: