2017 Bsl/mbl Challenge

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Thanks, Ladies. I appreciate the feedback!
I have the 4A and I have had the 4C and 3C in this brand. They felt a little heavy on my head so I won't be repurchasing them. They're alright though.
2 of my faves. Currently wearing the 4A or 4B can't remember but everybody thinks it's my real hair. This lady was blowing her horn at a red light like crazy to tell my she liked my hair lol. Definitely recommend them. I haven't quite gotten 3c shaped to my liking but I'm working on it.

long.hair.dont.care

@long.hair.dont.care
Whoa baby! I am loving this wig in the 4a and 3c styles! I'm checking out these girls on YouTube rocking it out! It's definitely what I'm going with. Thanks again for the suggestion. I had never seen this line by Outre.

My pleasure, I am really glad I could help. It is my go-to wig for the rest of the year while I'm at school. I have the 3c whirly and its been good to me for almost daily wear for the past three months. Time to get a new one soon though, cause tangles in the back.

Fotchygirl

My hair is dryer than usual. Maybe I didn't rinse out the henna properly? I am not sure, but I will be taking out my braids, warming up my deep conditionner and applying it to my length. Detangle. Rinse. Braid and evaluate again soon.

Henna dries my hair too and that is why immediately after applying it I DC with a moisturising conditioner for a long time. This usually softens it up.

Aggie

I'm doing a henna gloss on my hair this morning with:

3 heaping Tbsp of Henna Sooq Moroccan Henna,
3 oz of BRB Chai Hair Tea,
an ounce of Banyan Botanical Healthy Hair Oil,
an ounce of EVCO,
2 Tablespoons each of Amla and brahmi powders

I'll be using the remainder of the Chai Hair tea to wash out the henna gloss and deep conditioning with CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner followed with APB Buriti Moringa Hair Mask

Last edited:

apple_natural

Am currently wearing my hair in 8 braids and every night I spray it with a braid spray and seal with coconut oil. I pay special attention to my ends by moisturising them with a rich cream and seal them. I just need to up my water and vitamins intake to try and help it along.

i've been neglecting my hair this past week. this is inspiration since i have about 8 or 9 twists in a bun. I have been taking my vitamins though :p and putting on my scarf at night. i sprayed braid spray in once or twice since this weekend.

i hope i remember that i want to dc this evening

long.hair.dont.care

Henna dries my hair too and that is why immediately after applying it I DC with a moisturising conditioner for a long time. This usually softens it up.

Yeah, a good DC should do the trick :) I sadly had too many tangles from the dryness to wash.
I'll DC on the weekend when I have more time to let it sit.
I ended up watering, oiling, detangling and rebraiding.
I didnt have time for all the braids so I'll keep doing that tonight.
The sections I was able to tend to last night are feeling super soft, a good sign, but still gonna DC most likely on Friday.

long.hair.dont.care

I'm doing a henna gloss on my hair this morning with:

3 heaping Tbsp of Henna Sooq Moroccan Henna,
3 oz of BRB Chai Hair Tea, an ounce of Banyan Botanical Healthy Hair Oil,
an ounce of EVCO,
2 Tablespoons each of Amla and brahmi powders

I'll be using the remainder of the Chai Hair tea to wash out the henna gloss and deep conditioning with CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner followed with APB Buriti Moringa Hair Mask

Your recipe sounds good. I probably should get a recipe down for the next time I use henna...

How long do you keep the gloss in before washing it out?
What benefits has it been giving your hair?
How often do you gloss?

Aggie

Your recipe sounds good. I probably should get a recipe down for the next time I use henna...

How long do you keep the gloss in before washing it out?
What benefits has it been giving your hair?
How often do you gloss?

Thank you @long.hair.dont.care

I henna gloss for about an hour to an hour and a half.

The benefits are many. It makes my hair stronger, it repairs damaged hair strands and restores the acid-alkaline balance of my scalp. It is an amazing conditioner that protects the hair strands by building a protective layer and locking in nutrients and moisture, as a result it protects my hair from the damaging effects of the sun and dust as well (I live in the tropics, so this matters to me).

It is the best way to color my hair without chemicals (although henna glosses do not leave much color deposit, only full henna treatments do that for my hair), and it also makes my hair glossy, healthy from the roots, and voluminous.

You can put the recipe together based on what you think your hair needs most or use conditioners you are trying to use up will also work well. I forgot to add some essential oils to the mix. Next gloss, I will use essential oils and maybe some garlic and onion oil.

I henna gloss every 2-3 weeks, but it is actually safe to do so weekly since it is a treatment.

Last edited:
I've had some intervention to curb my spending for this hair growing project :supergrin:. So what I'm gonna do is stop my repurchasing of some of the Eqyss products, namely the shampoo and conditioner. I refuse to cut out my MT or leave-in conditioner though. I'm swapping them for a store brand that's said to be pretty good: L'Oréal Triple Resist shampoo and conditioner. Supposedly cuts back on hair breakage/shedding, fortifies hair and may even assist with growth. I fig my very fine hair could use all the help it can get so I can reach my goal for the year (and get to TBL for that matter) since it's prone to split ends. Thankfully I do have much healthier hair than I used to a couple years back.

If anyone is interested here's a YouTube link to see someone's trial:
Again it's a store brand and may have SLS but I'm more concerned about strengthening my strands more than anything.

Which Eqyss products were you using & how did they work for you?

SweetestChick

Long hair fanatic
Which Eqyss products were you using & how did they work for you?
Hey @Nicole Hunter I have been using the Eqyss equine shampoo, premier conditioner, Megatek, and the avocado leave-in spray. The shampoo doesn't seem to dry my hair out and it smells great. The MT has really helped to soften, strengthen and give some shine. The regular conditioner is the best for shine, and the leave in seems to build on top of what the MT does (both have protein).

Overall I really liked them, it's just that the price is more than what I like to spend on that stuff. Not to mention the husband noticed how much stuff I get in the mail and kind of frowns on my hair product splurging. :busted: But he knows this hair project is important to me so at least he understands I can't just cut everything out.

Hey @Nicole Hunter I have been using the Eqyss equine shampoo, premier conditioner, Megatek, and the avocado leave-in spray. The shampoo doesn't seem to dry my hair out and it smells great. The MT has really helped to soften, strengthen and give some shine. The regular conditioner is the best for shine, and the leave in seems to build on top of what the MT does (both have protein).

Overall I really liked them, it's just that the price is more than what I like to spend on that stuff. Not to mention the husband noticed how much stuff I get in the mail and kind of frowns on my hair product splurging. :busted: But he knows this hair project is important to me so at least he understands I can't just cut everything out.

Lol!!!! I absolutely love both Mega-Tek & Henna & I was thinking of trying their shampoo & conditioner as well, but the problem is the price seeing as though I only have a wash day once a month when not protective styling, which isn't too often spending all that money would have me mad at myself Lol!

long.hair.dont.care

Thank you @long.hair.dont.care

I henna gloss for about an hour to an hour and a half.

The benefits are many. It makes my hair stronger, it repairs damaged hair strands and restores the acid-alkaline balance of my scalp. It is an amazing conditioner that protects the hair strands by building a protective layer and locking in nutrients and moisture, as a result it protects my hair from the damaging effects of the sun and dust as well (I live in the tropics, so this matters to me).

It is the best way to color my hair without chemicals (although henna glosses do not leave much color deposit, only full henna treatments do that for my hair), and it also makes my hair glossy, healthy from the roots, and voluminous.

You can put the recipe together based on what you think your hair needs most or use conditioners you are trying to use up will also work well. I forgot to add some essential oils to the mix. Next gloss, I will use essential oils and maybe some garlic and onion oil.

I henna gloss every 2-3 weeks, but it is actually safe to do so weekly since it is a treatment.

Thanks for all the details @Aggie I appreciate it.

What does your henna mix consist of?

Just the henna and water for my first time. I'm thinking I'll add black tea to reduce shedding and conditioner for moisture next time, or something along those lines.

What do you put in your mix? @Nicole Hunter

Just the henna and water for my first time. I'm thinking I'll add black tea to reduce shedding and conditioner for moisture next time, or something along those lines.

I use Godrej nupur mehendi powder+coconut milk. I absolutely love it it never dries my hair out or causes protein overload no matter how often I do it or how long I leave it in. I used it when I was natural & now that I'm back to being texlaxed. The key to henna is what you mix it with & garlic is best for shedding as it stops it almost immediately. I use it in my oil blend & haven't had any issues with shedding since.

GGsKin

Black and green tea make my hair feel hard so I wouldn't be keen to put them in my henna mix (they may work different for your hair). I usually do a full henna treatment with hibiscus tea and water, but last time I tried a gloss; BAQ Rajasthan Henna+ water + AOWC. I left this on overnight and got a colour great deposit.

Last edited:

Aggie

This morning I used the 22nd Century Peppermint shampoo bar and it sud up really good plus it cleaned my hair without stripping it. I now have some Annabelle's Moisturizing Conditioner on my hair.

One thing I should make a note of. After I rinsed out the 22nd Century Conditioner and washed with the shampoo bar and rinsed that out, my hair felt light and it clumped beautifully. I do like how the 22nd Century DC feels on my hair though even though it's very oily.

These I will not use to detangle with but they work well together to clean and condition the hair. Hence my reason for using the APB DC.They do have that herbally smell to them but not in a bad way to me.

Daina

Ugh going through a hair laziness funk...don't want to do anything let alone go through my cleansing routine. My scalp wants me to cleanse but my bed is too comfy. Going to do 5 braids for a chunky braidout instead for church then bun for the work week. I'll suffer the consequences next week.

long.hair.dont.care

Black and green tea make my hair feel hard so I wouldn't be keen to put them in my henna mix (they may work different for your hair). I usually do a full henna treatment with hibiscus tea and water, but last time I tried a gloss; BAQ Rajasthan Henna+ water + AOWC. I left this on overnight and got a colour great deposit.

I use Godrej nupur mehendi powder+coconut milk. I absolutely love it it never dries my hair out or causes protein overload no matter how often I do it or how long I leave it in. I used it when I was natural & now that I'm back to being texlaxed. The key to henna is what you mix it with & garlic is best for shedding as it stops it almost immediately. I use it in my oil blend & haven't had any issues with shedding since.

Oh okay. Thanks for the heads up yall. I did overlook black tea's drying affects, I'll probably go with powdered garlic instead. And I'll keep you posted the next time I try.

ladybevy

I would like to join. Try to be more active on here as well. Just had a fresh relaxer done today so I can put up a starting pic. My hair is close to BSL but it is uneven and thin.

My stats:
Relaxed
Fine strands
Protective style:
I usually have my hair in buns or wigs. But I will be doing a weave(first time ever) next month(going on a cruise in March & this gives me a good reason to finally try out weaves).
Trim: I trim every time I get my hair relaxed which is every 3 months
Regimen: Wash & DC weekly but when I get the weave it will be every 2 weeks; bamboo oil on scalp every 2 days; be more consistent with taking my vitamins & iron pills; moisturize & seal daily or every other day; scalp massages.

Attachments

• Freshly Relaxed(3) - 1-14-17.JPG
    Freshly Relaxed(3) - 1-14-17.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 30
Oh okay. Thanks for the heads up yall. I did overlook black tea's drying affects, I'll probably go with powdered garlic instead. And I'll keep you posted the next time I try.

Idk if you'll still smell like garlic or not using the powdered form, but I know I don't have that issue with the oil form & if you'd like you could also try Alter ego garlic mask to deep condition with or garlic & onion juice to prepoo with.

SweetestChick

Long hair fanatic
Just making a note that I will go ahead and simply replace all my beloved Eqyss products--once they run out. :cry4: There are more reasonably priced hair products out there that can have the same effects on my tresses.

MT = Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor
Eqyss Leave-in = Infusium Pro Original Leave-in Treatment
Eqyss Shampoo = L'Oréal Triple Resist Shampoo
Eqyss Conditioner = L'Oréal Triple Resist Reinforcing Conditioner (currently using)

Since there were several sites claiming arginine is great for hair strength and growth, I fig I find an affordable leave-in with that ingredient. Aphogee 2 Min was the closest to MT I could find that wasn't the same price. Guess I'll find out how things go with these new products later in the year. If anybody tried any of these replacements, feel free to give feedback.

Fotchygirl

Still keeping up with my weekly washes and DC's. Yesterday I took down my 8 braids and did a pre-poo with warmed up coconut oil for 2 hours. Shampood and DC'd for 3 hours. Rinsed it out, put my leave ins, and sealed. Put it in 8 celie braids again. Hopefully I can keep this up for the rest of the year.