2017 Coffee Tea Clay Mud Acv Avj Ayurveda Challenge

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Is there a certain kind of to you're using? I've already watched the YouTube video & known not to use boxed rice. I don't eat rice like that.....So I'd be wasting the rice, but rice is cheap. No?
I use instant white rice, freezing it after straining so I can use it again. No one was eating it and it is already clean. I don't worry about the "where it came from."
Are y'all using the rice water as a final rinse after washing with Ayurvedic powders or just co-washing?
No, I use it like a protein treatment on dry hair, under a plastic cap for at least 30 mins. I mainly do oil rinsing; one oil I use does have some Ayurvedic powders, but not often enough to make a dsifference.

imaginary

How's the rice water rinses doing y'all's hair? See any progress in growth, supple ends, thicker hair, shine, bounce, etc?

I love it. It improves my hair's elasticity and I don't have to moisturize my hair as often in between washes. I use the regular basmati rice that we eat in our house by just adding extra water to the pot and then pouring it off once it starts boiling. Zero waste.

ETA: I've also used the regular bulk rice and haven't noticed a difference in how it makes my hair feel.

Aggie

Tonight I hope to use the left over henna treatment I have in the fridge. I added just small amount of dry henna to it to make sure it's enough for all my roots.

I have it warming up in a hot cabby for about 90 minutes and will be sleeping with it on my hair overnight. I want to cut some of my hair treatment day tomorrow in half so I can get out earlier to do my Saturday runs.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Rooibos Tea does nothing for my hair, unlike the Guava Leat Tea. It is slightly astringent, meaning it dissolved some of the mild oiliness the Transition Creme left behind. Let's see if it does something for my scalp or shedding.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@Sharpened
That Guava Leaf Tea is thebomb.com.gov.biz.net.edu

Have you rinsed with Bamboo Leaf?

I also like a good Slippery Elm, Marshmallow Root and Burdock Root Blend.
I have drank Bamboo Tea in the past, but not on the hair.

I might have to mix one of the three others you mentioned with the rooibos to counter that astringency. There is "good" oily and "bad" oily; I want to keep my "good" oily, if you get my meaning.

Aggie

i forgot to post that I did give myself an overnight henna treatment Friday night. It was a good one too. Now I wished I indigo'ed it but I was out of time.

Aggie

@Aggie
Sounds good. How often or when do you use Semi/Demi Color
I try to give myself one every other color treatment. For example, I just henna'ed my hair yesterday so I will use a demi-permanent in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Then I'll use henna to give my hair a break from the demi color. I think alternating the demi color with henna will help me keep my hair healthy and strong. I don't want to over use the demi-color and I don't have the time to use henna all the time. It's working for me this way, so I'll keep doing it :yep:.

GGsKin

On Saturday, after my egg+oil overnight prepoo, poo (roots only) and DC, I clay washed with a mix of bentonite, kaolin, steeped marshmallow root + hibiscus, SAA and ACV. This mix had my usual slip (much more than kaolin alone).

I followed that with a fermented rice water rinse. I cant tell what its doing for my hair yet, but it feels like something good lol. Everything about wash day was very enjoyable and those eggs/oils were a great start.

My hair feels cool, light, airy, soft and springy and I'm wearing it loose today.:afro:

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
A word of warning to those using caffeine-containing rinses or treatments: too much caffeine can also stunt hair growth over time. It happened to me (no length increase after 2.5 months), although my hair got a bit thicker. When I go back to coffee rinses, I will only do them either once or twice a month, probably after an oat wash.