2017 Wig Challenge

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Soooooo, my edges are missing, its only on the right side but I think my hair was braided down to tight. (Salon) I just wanted to make sure it would last 6+ weeks. And now my hair on the right side is gone... Now what??? UPDATE MY REGIMEN: For the tje next 2 weeks I will try to only bun my hair and not put tension on my edges. Im going to start with a good protien treatmemt tomorrow. I will redo and deep condition my hair every 2-3 days, also Im trying the NJoy pomade for the next cpl of weeks... If I notice it helps I will try the growth oil as well... Im always open to suggestions...!

Smiley79

I ordered these five wigs to take me till September/October. I know I will like them. I have been in wigs since January. Before that I had a weave since December. That means I've been only taking my hair down between 4-6 weeks since December. Last time I redid my braids, I did a protein treatment and cleansed my hair. It seemed to have grown a bit; not sure because I didn't measure.

This one I got in the lighter color (OP27)

WOW, I need to order that GLS64 Wig from Fridaynighthair. I have never ordered from them before.

MzSwift

Any tips on how to detangle a curly wig without brushing out the curls?

If it's synthetic, a lot of women swear by spraying it with fabric softener and finger detangling. If it's human, maybe do a mix of water/condish in a spray bottle and finger detangle? If you lose them, you may be able to bring the human curl back with some mousse and scrunching. GL! :)

luvmesumhair

This is my favorite wig that I've made myself. Finally got that frontal customization down! This is only 2 bundles of Peruvian straight and a frontal for a super natural look. (Ignore my Snapchat caption lol)
Beautiful job!!!

What tutorial did you use to do this? Was it YouTube? Also, where did you order your hair from?

TIA

Smiley79

This is my favorite wig that I've made myself. Finally got that frontal customization down! This is only 2 bundles of Peruvian straight and a frontal for a super natural look. (Ignore my Snapchat caption lol)

Very nice. I would like to know as well...which YT tutorial did you find most helpful. I have a frontal and 3 bundles of hair sitting here that I could use to make a wig. I'm so intimidated by the frontal customization process. :spinning: Will I tweeze enough? And I still haven't nailed bleaching the knots. Oh well, I'm gonna try though. The average cost to get a wig done in my area is $250. That alone will motivate me to try and make my own wig.

King of Sorrow

Even though it's still summer and the temp today is going to be 90 degrees:cry3:, I've gone back to my wig. My hair is over me and doesn't want me touching her.

1. Like this post.

Yup!

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?

For the rest of the year.

However, I feel like wigs need to be my forever normal and relegate letting my hair out for special occasions, breaks, when it's impractical, or when I want to stunt. In other words, I'm combining the wisdom of these Chadian women by keeping my hair in braids to allow it to reach it's full potential and wearing the wig to conform to Western ideals.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?

I don't do leave outs and I'm not glueing down anything. I wear wigs in a variation of this (really impractical for summer) style:

Underneath, I have 14 braids (4 on each side and six in the back) that I crisscross and pin in the back to lay flat.

I redo and wash my hair 1 to 2 times per week. Shampoo and conditioner are from the Roux Rejuvenating Keratin Treatment line. Twice a day I spray the leave-in from the same line. Still need to figure out a deep conditioner and how to fit into my regimen and whether or not an oil is still needed.

I do not handle or rebraid my hair when wet. I wash my hair in the same braids, use a tshirt to blot out excess water, spray my leave-in and wait until the next day when dry to rebraid.

I do not use combs, brushes, or picks on my hair. I undo one braid at a time, gently pull for shed hairs, mist my hair with the spray, rebraid, and pin when done with all the braids.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Natural

5. Current Hair Length:

Around 10-11" all around which equals to:
Front: Below chin
Sides: Collar bone
Crown: Base of neck
Back: Below APL

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal:

Stop hair breakage and split ends. I've only retained 1" since the beginning of the year. What looks to be frizz around my braids are short 1-2" strands of hair. The rest of those strands are on my bathroom floor.

Past 2017, I will reach BSL, hold there and trim the back until the rest of my hair gets to full BSL, move on to WL, and figure out what to do from there. My hair likes to take her time so I'm looking at 3-4 years of this. :cry2:

7. Starting Photo
:flahssssss::look:

Britt

Ok ladies!!!! I got my wig made and I love how it looks, however it's not as easy to put on as I thought. So I got a u part made and bought the u part wig cap from the bss. I was excited to put in on when it was made for me yesterday but I can't seem to be able to secure it with the draw string in the back. It's like a little bra strap that I'm suppose to hook into the holes on the cap but as much as I played with it yesterday it's difficult for me to feel the hooks and loops and I was getting very frustrated. My mom told me not to bother with that but to braid my own hair down underneath and then hook the wig to the braids, there are two clips in the top at the u part, but my issue is laying the wig flat in the back. How do I secure it without messing with those bra strap thingys? My mom said if I braid my hair down I will be able to sort of hook the wig under the corn row? I know this may sound silly but this is all so foreign feeling to me.

Pygmy_puff

Soooo after months of lurking, I figure I should just make it official and join this thread! Here goes:

1. Like this post.
Done!

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?
At least until the end of the year. I don't think I will EXCLUSIVELY wear wigs 24-7/365, but I expect it to be a prominent feature of my PS regimen though the end of the year.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
Wash and DC once a week. Trims and protein treatments as needed. I cornrow or plait my hair while it is still damp out the shower with a little creamy leave-in and olive/castor oil mix.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Natchal, honey!

5. Current Hair Length:
My longest strands (at the crown) are almost 14". The hair in the front and back are a little shorter, between 11-13 inches. This puts me a little past APL, I think. It's hard to tell because I haven't straightened in months. I'll update when I straighten for a trim once the humidity dies down a little more.

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal:
BSL would be ideal for the end of the year. Ultimately, I want to reach WL.

7. Starting Photo
I don't really have a recent length check photo because I hardly ever straighten my hair.
Here is just a selfie with straight hair in February :
March 2017.JPG

And here it is curly in May a few days after a stylist hacked off about 2-3 inches :(
IMG_3128.PNG

beauti

I'd like to join please

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? next 7 months

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? dc, wash,cornrow/plait biweekly. moisturize daily.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:Natural

5. Current Hair Length:mbl

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal:wl

7. Starting Photo
pic taken 5 months ago

20170414_225344.jpg

And here's a pic of the wig I will be wearing the next couple months. I've had it for a while, don't remember exact name but it's a freetress shake-n-go

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
How long do you wear wigs for before switching? I've been doing every month but there's too many on the wish list to space them out that far.

gforceroy

How long do you wear wigs for before switching? I've been doing every month but there's too many on the wish list to space them out that far.
It depends for me. My last synthetic wig lasted about 1.5 months and I threw it out (I try for 2). I wash my human hair wigs and keep till they are DONE lol
I still have 3 synthetic/blend wigs I haven't worn and I need to stop buying em. :look:

MzSwift

Ok ladies!!!! I got my wig made and I love how it looks, however it's not as easy to put on as I thought. So I got a u part made and bought the u part wig cap from the bss. I was excited to put in on when it was made for me yesterday but I can't seem to be able to secure it with the draw string in the back. It's like a little bra strap that I'm suppose to hook into the holes on the cap but as much as I played with it yesterday it's difficult for me to feel the hooks and loops and I was getting very frustrated. My mom told me not to bother with that but to braid my own hair down underneath and then hook the wig to the braids, there are two clips in the top at the u part, but my issue is laying the wig flat in the back. How do I secure it without messing with those bra strap thingys? My mom said if I braid my hair down I will be able to sort of hook the wig under the corn row? I know this may sound silly but this is all so foreign feeling to me.

When my wigs have those straps, I just secure them to the loop before I put the wig on. I usually put them on the loosest setting that will still fit in my head. IA that you should braid your hair underneath but I wouldn't secure them to your braids. I would suggest bobby pins instead and using as many as will make you feel comfortable. I secure my wigs with bobby pins because I'm afraid of the damage the wig clips and combs will do. I had no damage rocking wigs for years this way. GL! :)

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
For the most part I also use bobby pins to secure my wig, but I've been phasing them out in favor of the wig grip strips that they sell on Amazon because the pins irritate my scalp if I go more than a full day wearing them. I've also seen a few other methods on youtube, like sewing an elastic band across the back of your wig, or using Got2b glue (a hair gel, not actual glue) on the lace to keep it laying down.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I just bought two more, and neither of them was the one I was originally planning to buy. So now I have to buy that one, plus the one I want for the holidays. I'm an addict, y'all.

Britt

For the most part I also use bobby pins to secure my wig, but I've been phasing them out in favor of the wig grip strips that they sell on Amazon because the pins irritate my scalp if I go more than a full day wearing them. I've also seen a few other methods on youtube, like sewing an elastic band across the back of your wig, or using Got2b glue (a hair gel, not actual glue) on the lace to keep it laying down.
I have a u part wig and the small combs inside hurt. I might have them taken out. Are the elastic bands going across the back of the head only for lace wigs?