BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

Charla

I think I had a crazy growth spurt considering that I claimed full APL last month. I'm confused am I grazing BSB or am I already there?

Wow! You're def bsb now. What doyou think contributed to your growth spurt?
iamtan

Last edited:

iamtan

Charla all I did was took my multivitamins. I play basketball a lot! As for my hair, I put it up in a pineapple 4 days a week and bun it up 3 days a week. I spray water and jojoba oil in it daily. I do the bentonite clay and henna monthly. Finger detangle only on wash day. That's it.

It surreal that I got to bsb so quickly without hardcore protective styling. Thanks everyone for supporting each other and sharing regimens and etc. My subscription is up this month. I was grazing shoulder length at that time last year and now I'm newly bsb. I feel the weight of my hair (especially when it's wet). Good luck to you ladies.

Last edited:

Nelli04

What is your goal date for BSL?

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?
Full BSL is now my ultimate goal and I am really close to reaching it

Whats your current length?

I am about 0.5-1 in from BSL, about 1.5-2 inches from full BSL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?

Natural
Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

I have a pretty simple regimen, I wash/dc every 2 weeks (except for when my hair is straight). I will keep my hair braided for 2 months and redo the braids every 2 weeks, and I will flat iron every 2 months, which will be in:
June
Sept
Nov/Dec

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

I will definitely wear it out more and just maintain it
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a starting pic yet

naturalagain2

I cowashed my hair last night with HV Moist 24/7, followed up with Oyin Hair Dew, sealed with Oyin Burnt Sugar and air dried in braids. My ends still feel good I've been sealing them with butters or pomades; that seems to be working and keeps my ends from tangling up. Cowashing and detangling still is a breeze. I took my braids out this morning and did a bun as usual. Since my ends have been cooperating I haven't felt like rollersetting.......

coolsista-paris

How are all of you??

I was getting pissed with my dry hair..its been sucking all moisture . Next week ill do exactly What worked 2 months ago without being lazy and jumping steps !
I added some ceramid condit on my conrows and guess What : dryness has disapeared and its sooooo soft!. I caught up on my stupid lazyness mistakes .

Evolving78

good wash day today! no crazy setback. i cross wrapped my hair after i air dried to bun tomorrow. air drying, cross wrapping, and bunning will take me to BSB. i love my rollersets, but i need something easy to get my over my hump of doing too much to my hair. it seems like i will be able to protective style after all.

naturalagain2

^^^That's how I've been feeling. I love rollersets but since I've had my ends clipped back in January and I've been taking care of them I rather cowash, airdry in braids, and bun. I feel better not doing too much to set me back. I thought I wouldn't be able to protective style either and it feels great that I can and my hair has been cooperating. For me I see keeping my ends dusted regularly is key.

SincerelyBeautiful

I'm so ready to get some type of braids. I just want to completely hide my ends and not worry or look at them. Then after about two months I can take them down and do a length check before getting some more braids put in. I think this will help my hair a lot. Any braid suggestions?

winona

Did an impromptu length check 3 inches til touching BSL:) Then I will continue to trim at BSL until my hair evens up:) hopefully a full BSL by the end of the year or dang close:)

Imani

I wish these companies would stop changing their ingredients. One of my main conditioners used to be Giovani Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture but I don't think I like the newer formula. I remember several months ago getting a bottle and immediately noticing it smelled different (I have a very sensitive sense of smell). But was just like, oh well maybe they just changed the scent, but it felt different too on my hair not as moisturizing at all. I gave it a chance several more times but I think I will just have to stop purchasing

KurlyNinja

I'm actually really excited about the upcoming length check. I know some people have to be closer to BSL than they think. And there are people who I have been following for the past 2 years in this thread (like Imani ) Cant wait to see updates!

youwillrise

Wow...so, its been foreverrrrrr since I've updated. I've been feeling horrible for the past 3 months and I'm just finally starting to feel better. My hair has suffered immensely. I've been sleeping on it loose and uncovered. Haven't been dc'ing or protective styling. Just a complete mess.

I'm still at the length I started at in january. I'm fortunate that it's not SHORTER.

last night I detangled, washed, dc'ed overnight...today I rinsed and right now I'm baggying in moisturizer because my hair needs intense moisture, for real. I will twist it up later (or start it, at least). It's so good to have energy again. I have an h. Pylori infection (bacteria) and I also have low iron and it's been kicking my butt (the h. Pylori causes malabsorption of iron)...was having a lot of scary medical issues...but finally I'm able to work on fixing it, so I'm ready to get back on track because my goals are still in sight!

Last edited:

simplyconfident

Update:

I had about 1/2 inch trimmed once so far this year ( I wear my hair out a lot so I have I trim about three times per year a trade off I'm okay with).

Dec 31 2011

image-4063972073.jpg

March 24 2012

image-2006867473.jpg

BSL will be the number 7 for me.

hair4romheaven

I guess im kicked out the hyh challenge.
Here is a 6 mnth comparison of WET hair no product freshly washed.
My avi is stretched dry hair from 7/11.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120325_190429.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120325_190429.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 44
  • ForumRunner_20120325_190502.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120325_190502.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 49

hair4romheaven

Stretched dry hair. I need to dust my ends but am hopeful for full.bsl this year.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120325_191107.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120325_191107.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 56

RegaLady

Beautiful hair all around:lick:.

I blowdried my whole head this weekend and I was so suprised at the length. Even DH commented on it:drunk:. I have been wearing blownout styles and I LOVE it! I would do it more often except I want to retain length and I don't think blowdrying the hair is super healthy. Anyway, it look likes I have about 4 or 5 inches until BSL. And as someone mentioned upthread, I will trim more at BSL and maintain. I will post pics during upcoming length check.

IF any of you ladies wear hair in streched blow dried styles, how do you moisturize?

Khaiya

^try threading, I've been using it so far to stretch my hair without heat and I love it, last time I used heat was.....I think last August? I could b wrong on that one, but definitely not since this year.

GreenEyedJen

Charla: Thank you! I don't know about my ladies, but I have been using Proactiv for years. A lot of people don't like it, but I swear by it. I've used it on and off for over a decade. Haven't found anything like it.

I'm not sure about my foundation in that picture (I was a makeup artist so the amount of makeup I have is embarrassing) but it was probably MAC Select topped with MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural and some type of shimmer powder. The Select is an awesome foundation, and really overlooked.

Okay ladies, update pictures!

I did manage to flatiron my hair and check the length. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture fresh flatiron, and my hair has been up for the past two days so excuse the dents. I finally went ahead and ordered the length check shirt. On me, APL is the number five and BSB (my goal for this challenge) is somewhere between 7 and 8. I'm horrible with LC pictures, so bear with me.

These first couple pictures are just to give you guys an idea of the layers in my hair:

Now the actual check:

Philippians413

I finally purchased Redken Extreme Conditioner after hearing so many good reviews. I bought the anti-snap leave in too, but don't notice as much of a difference as I do with the condish. My hair has NEVER EVER EVER felt as good as it does with this stuff. It's soft, moisturized, easy to detangle, and I'm noticing less breakage. I need to purchase the big size now.

youwillrise

baggying my twists now with shea moisture coconut & hibiscus curl & style cream.

sprayed a little plain water first, then added the cream. i put apricot oil on the length and a mix of apricot & castor oils on the ends.

seems like my hair is coming back to life after the horridness of the past few months.

trying to make up for lost time.

cocoma

RENIBELL, congratulations! I think we may be hair twins or at least cousins! I can't wait until I hit full BSL, I have decided to stick to claiming full APL because it still looks short to me!