Continuing Boadicea's Bun/chignon challenge

model_chick717

Re: Continuing Boadicea\'s Bun/chignon challenge

Wolftrap, it's when you put your hair in a ponytail with a good size scrunchy--or with a thinner band and place something like a scrunchy around it and then kind of "split your hair over the scrunchy in a "donut" fashion and the put another ponytail holder around it to hold it in place.

My hair is about an inch past collarbone so I have to wind my hair a bit around the scrunchy...but it's not long enought to have the kind of size bun that I would like on its own, just yet.

Does this make sense?

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
Wolftrap, it's when you put your hair in a ponytail with a good size scrunchy--or with a thinner band and place something like a scrunchy around it and then kind of "split your hair over the scrunchy in a "donut" fashion and the put another ponytail holder around it to hold it in place.

My hair is about an inch past collarbone so I have to wind my hair a bit around the scrunchy...but it's not long enought to have the kind of size bun that I would like on its own, just yet.

Does this make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok yeah that's what I figured but I would think that you could see the scrunchie underneath. Like the color of it would be sticking out a little. I used to do this in H.S. but I used to use synthetic hair. Like I put my hair in a pony tail and I would take a piece of synthetic hair wrap it around the base of the ponytail and pin it and then put my own hair over it like a donut. That way if ever a little piece might not be covered then underneath it was synthetic hair like my same hair color so you couldn't tell. I will have to look into the scrunchies and see what I can find but I'm thinking you might be able to see it. no?

model_chick717

Well, my hair is pretty thick--so I've not really had a problem with the scrunchy peaking out. But I also wouldn't use one that's let's say green or some off color like that!

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
Well, my hair is pretty thick--so I've not really had a problem with the scrunchy peaking out. But I also wouldn't use one that's let's say green or some off color like that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. I'll give it a try. My hair is thin so I'm not sure how it will look but I am going to try it out.

Also do you CW everyday? So you put the bun in your hair while it is wet?

model_chick717

Well, not everyday. I work out every-other day, so that next morning after a workout day, I CW. Other than that, which I did Tuesday, I went to bed with the bun in and just loosely tied a satin scarf around it. The next morning--I didn't have to TOUCH my hair.

But yes, on the days I CW--I bun it while wet.

model_chick717

So are we sticking with the buns?? Here's the bun I'm wearing today---

I think you have to have variety, even with buns, to stick to it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
So are we sticking with the buns?? Here's the bun I'm wearing today---

I think you have to have variety, even with buns, to stick to it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats too cute Model /images/graemlins/tongue.gif... its not the traditional granny looking donut bun.

Cinnabuns

Yeah I'm still bunning daily and have been since May 2004 and I'm gonna keep on keepin on. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

How's everybody else doing?

model_chick717

Thx Britt!

Wow, cinnabuns, I only hope I can stick to it that long. I'm sure you've retained a lot of length that way... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wolftrap

I decided to join but can't do it much longer. I forgot why I never wear my hair up its because it breaks my hair off which is what is starting to happen now. No matter what I use to tye it with and how loose it is my hair does not like to be up in any type of clips, scrunchies or anything. I'm going to have to end my participation in the bun challenge. Silly as it may seem my hair thrives better when it is down all the time.

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to join but can't do it much longer. I forgot why I never wear my hair up its because it breaks my hair off which is what is starting to happen now. No matter what I use to tye it with and how loose it is my hair does not like to be up in any type of clips, scrunchies or anything. I'm going to have to end my participation in the bun challenge. Silly as it may seem my hair thrives better when it is down all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Then you definitely have to "listen" to your hair. I was seeing some strands on my ponytail holder and that's why I switched to the bun that I just posted because I do this with pins and 2 metal clips--nothing that causes any friction with my hair...

dreemssold

I am late, because I wanted to do a fake bun challenge for a few weeks first to see if I could really commit. So far, so good, so count me in, also. Scared, but in, lol. If anyone comes across any cute accessories or cute bun ideas, please post /images/graemlins/smile.gif!

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong

<font color="purple">I'm already doing this on a whim. I have an idea, though. I get a scrunchie, and wrap a short silk scarf around it. I use it to put over my bun. And it's much nicer for the hair because it is colorful and go with everything in your wardrobe.

I think I'm going to do this. I would like to get my hair down to about mid-back by October 2005. When I get a camera, I'm going to take comparison pics so I can see the difference between the 2.</font>

SouthernGirl

Hey Ladies /images/graemlins/wave.gif,

For those of us on the bun challenge, I posted a few pix tonight of one of the bun styles I'm wearing just to give you a way to try something different. It's really simple and you'll see that I use very few tools to make it.

Hope it helps! It's under the album labeled Protective Styles.

Take care,

SG

dreemssold

Thanks SG /images/graemlins/wave.gif I LOVE that last bun--very cute /images/graemlins/smile.gif!

SouthernGirl

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks SG /images/graemlins/wave.gif I LOVE that last bun--very cute /images/graemlins/smile.gif!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Sweetie /images/graemlins/kiss.gif!

B

ballet_bun

I cheated today and wore my hair down. Back to the bun this evening. I think I will wear one of SG buns tomorrow.

luv04

well ill prob join in cause im in college rite now and on campus i dont have time to be fixin and stylin and i usually only wear my hair down in tha fall and winter anyway so im not missin out on much . im goinin to agree wit model chick on her revised challenge.I've decided to join--but a modified version...I only plan on wearing my hair bun'd/french-rolled for at least 5 days out of the week for the next 3 months--hey ya gotta crawl before you walk! Wish me luck and happy bun-ing ladies!

ive been wearin my hair in a clip bun no tight elastics for me and i keep my ends moisturized i have pics on my claw clip bun in my album on tha 2nd page and new relaxer pics on tha third. enjoy and wish me luck im aimin for 3 1/2 inches below bra stap im at bra strap rite now so i hope to be there by december i usually roll up tha ends for a curl wit two rollers.

AudraChanell

AWESOME!! I love your hair! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Ladies /images/graemlins/wave.gif,

For those of us on the bun challenge, I posted a few pix tonight of one of the bun styles I'm wearing just to give you a way to try something different. It's really simple and you'll see that I use very few tools to make it.

Hope it helps! It's under the album labeled Protective Styles.

Take care,

SG

[/ QUOTE ]

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong

<font color="purple">Bumping for SouthernGirl.

I love your bun! It's so cute. Wish I had your hair, girl! /images/graemlins/kiss.gif Anyway, my hair is about say, past collarbone/mid brastrap. I can do an abreviated little bun with a rolled up knee high stocking, and wrap a silk scarf for decoration. When I get a camera, I'll let you see it for the record. </font>

Leslie_C

babycurls, do u wrap the silk scarf around the bun or around your head like a headband?

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong

[ QUOTE ]
babycurls, do u wrap the silk scarf around the bun or around your head like a headband?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">I wrap it around my bun and tuck in the ends of my scarf. I would use a big or small bobby pin to keep it in place. When I have a camera, I'll let you see what I'm talking about. Thanx for the question, LC. </font>

SouthernGirl

Thanks ModelChick /images/graemlins/kiss.gif, Ballet Bun /images/graemlins/kiss.gif, and AudraChanell /images/graemlins/kiss.gif!!!

SG

model_chick717

Hey guys--I'm still hanging in there with my own modified version of the bun challenge--meaning wearing my hair in a bun 4-5 days out of the week. Well, lately I've been continuing the challenge but instead wearing a phonytail--and I'm loving it!

Last edited:

Leslie_C

model, that blends right in with your hair! very natural looking and C U T E!

SouthernGirl

Leslie, you took the words right outta my mouth /images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Modelchick, I love your phony pony! Is it a clip on or draw string?

SG

mvonnesha

Hi, I joined the bun challenge in August but this is my first post to the forums. Since becoming a member of LHCF, my hair has grown from barely touching my shoulders to an inch below my shoulders. I love this forum and the hair care advice from everyone. My friends have always thought I was weird because I am obssessed with my hair. I am happy and relieved to find other women who care about their hair also. Since finding this forum I have been "preaching" to women about caring for their hair. Although I have encountered a lot of skepticism, my own growth has made many converts. LOL. Thanks again.

model_chick717

Hey SG--it's actually just weaving hair that I wound around my bun and pinned into place...