NATURAL ROLLERSETTING CHALLENGE...Part 2

Mandy4610

I think we had a lot of fun with the first one.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=333971&highlight=

My hair really benefited from it and I think I have seen less retention since I did a lot of WnG over the summer. My hair does not like WnG and since I can't twist or cornrow to save my life, rollersetting seems to be the best way to style my hair.

So, anyone care to join me?

Guidelines for the challenge (Guidelines, not rules:grin:)

1. Rollerset atleast twice a month....More if you are able to

2. Share your method, products used and result with the group
(you don't have to do this everytime you rollerset, but atleast
once a month).

3. You can use any kind of rollers, curlformers, flexirods etc

4. Share any resources for natural rollersetting that you have
(videos, articles etc)

5. Check in atleast once every couple of weeks so that we can keep the thread going

Last edited:

Newtogrow

Sounds like a great challenge to join but I will be starting swim classes soon, so I wouldn't be able to commit.

Good luck to all of the challengers.

MJ

I won't be able to join this challenge (I'm in the wig challenge). However, I would like to share the mesh roller tutorial that I'd posted a few weeks ago. I hope this information will help someone.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i'm so on the fence about this-i actually love rollersets, but with school, i don't know if i can commit the time to doing them. and i left my roller collection at home, so i'd have to buy new ones...:nono:
maybe i'll just be an unnoficial lurker in this thread..:grin:

goldielocs

I'll join this challenge. I rollerset my locs anyway so it won't be anything new. Here's my routine...

I wash and set on Friday night. After my conditioner, I use a weak mixture of Lotabody and water in a spray bottle to set my hair.

In the summer, I use the brown and black perm rods, but they are not big enough. I need to upgrade to the next size.

When they are dry I take the rollers out and use coconut oil. A set usually lasts me about 3 days if I don't reroll during the week. I can stretch it a whole week if I roll my hair up at night. I'll post pics of this set later this weekend.

Take care.

Mandy4610

I'll join this challenge. I rollerset my locs anyway so it won't be anything new. Here's my routine...

I wash and set on Friday night. After my conditioner, I use a weak mixture of Lotabody and water in a spray bottle to set my hair.

In the summer, I use the brown and black perm rods, but they are not big enough. I need to upgrade to the next size.

When they are dry I take the rollers out and use coconut oil. A set usually lasts me about 3 days if I don't reroll during the week. I can stretch it a whole week if I roll my hair up at night. I'll post pics of this set later this weekend.

Take care.
Lets do this thing ladies. I love rollersetting. It can be time consuming but it is worth it. I did a rollerset last weekend, but I was in a rush so it did not turn out as good. I will do another one tomorrow hopefully.

I would like to commit to this, but my sets always come out frizzy...i guess i'll try mesh rollers next...

Carrie A

I'll join again but I'm going to start late October- Feb/March. This is rainy season in the DMV. I haven't rollerset since the last one I posted so I'm anxious to see my length.

MrsHdrLe

I love roller setting and now I leave heat alone all together, I'd like to join in, but it's really time consuming, so I'll just be wet bunning to straighten, but I'll be checking in with this challenge. Good Luck ladies

Mandy4610

I did not do a good job of keeping up with this challenge, so I am gonna continue it. I won't put a timeline, I will make it an ongoing one because I need to rollerset more often, it seems like the best thing for my hair.

lilsparkle825

I'd love to give this a go. Last month I started rollersetting with satin-covered sponge rollers, so I guess it made it more like a wet set, but my curls were so cute and uniform. When it gets colder I want to wear my hair straight 90-100% of the time, and it's either shell out money at the Dominican salon every few weeks or learn to do it myself. I vote for the latter....getting that salon swang at home would be such a great accomplishment!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I just ordered my stuff for a rollerset. Is anyone starting a new challenge for 2010?

ckisland

Yay!! I was hoping that someone who revive this thread :grin:. I'm already in the Roller Setting Challenge for 2010, and this one will pertain to me a bit more since 90% of the ladies in the other aren't naturals.

I plan to get a rollerset done once a month at this awesome salon I found. They do sets for only $20 and they were pretty gentle with my hair. This will also be the time that I get my hair shampooed. The other set I'll be doing myself using perm rods and I'll be airdrying overnight. It will actually be a shingle and curl, which I tried for the first time this weekend and loved!! For the shingle and curl I don't have definite products yet, but I'm hoping that the Natural Coils Curling Jelly will work perfectly for it. Also I'll be wearing both sets loose for a week, then bunning for the next week, then setting again. This should be quite low mani for my hair, and hopefully I'll reach MBL by December :lick:.

ETA: Okay. I think instead of doing the shingle and curl I think that I'm just going to do a regular set with the perm rods which I haven't actually tried yet. I'll see how that goes and if the results are good, then I might up to doing sets weekly since I can sleep in the rollers.

Last edited:

LadyPBC

I want to join but I suck at checking in for challenges. I just learned to do a decent rollerset with perm
rods so I'd like to support as an innocent bystander. Subscribing!

Dag - just read my post and noticed the typos (forgive me:blush:)

Last edited:

Mandy4610

I still didnt get around to rollersetting or washing my hair. Hopefully I can do it some tim e this week/weekend.

freecurl

I made a decision that I would rollerset more for the fall/winter. I realized that the more my hair is in the natural state, I tend to lose hair more due to SSKs. I already have the supplies and look forward to doing this.

Mdmommy99

Joining! I said that I was going to rollerset for the fall and winter so now is a good time for me to start.

AfroKink

I'm in! I've been rollersetting every 1-2 weeks for the past 3 months. I've been using magnetic rollers, but i'm going to try flexi rods soon too.

kblc06

I might alternate between this and wearing my wig. These single strand knots are killing my edges and nape (the kinkiest part of my hair), so I may have to keep them stretch by rollersetting and lightly pressing them.

I'm going to try rollersetting w/ mesh rollers and the new Lottabody w/ Olive Oil tonight. I'll post my results either tonight or tomorrow.