Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

kblc06

I have question for those who sit under the dryer to rollerset:

Are you plagued by an itchy scalp afterward? I don't know if it's sitting under the dryer, hair growth, or hair loss, but my scalp is so itchy it's almost painful. It could possibly be the oil sheen as well. I oiled my scalp with Softee growth stimulating hair oil (which has capascin as an active ingredient) and EVOO. My head is still itchy but my hair isn't shedding or anything, especially since I started taking my supplements again :ohwell:, I did notice that my hair sees to have had a moderate growth spurt recently

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

Are you plagued by an itchy scalp afterward? I don't know if it's sitting under the dryer, hair growth, or hair loss, but my scalp is so itchy it's almost painful. It could possibly be the oil sheen as well. I oiled my scalp with Softee growth stimulating hair oil (which has capascin as an active ingredient) and EVOO. My head is still itchy but my hair isn't shedding or anything, especially since I started taking my supplements again :ohwell:, I did notice that my hair sees to have had a moderate growth spurt recently
No, my scalp doesn't itch. Hope your scalp settles down soon.

keepithealthy

I'm not a part of this challenge but this thread inspired me to give roller setting a shot. So I washed, dc'd, I used Infusium 21 and Lotta Body Setting Lotion diluted in water. I used these snap on rollers (dunno the name) and end paper. I have no idea how to do a real roller set, so I did a pony roller set. The results were definitely not the best but I'm going to keep trying. My ends came out ok but a good portion of my hair was still curly. I just flat ironed afterward. Even though the roller set wasn't that great my hair straightened a lot easier and it got really straight. I have had very little reversion since then. So I like roller setting better than blow drying...I just hope I get faster and more efficient at it.

I'm going to try again with magnetic rollers and neater ponytail parts.

So here are the pics.

2011-10-26 20-51-19.806.jpg

2011-10-26 22-35-47.351.jpg

2011-10-26 22-36-05.118.jpg

This is how it looked after I flat ironed it. A little flat from the avacado oil but definitely the straightest and softest to date!

2011-10-27 21-34-48.742.jpg

Sunshine_One

Your set turned out NICE! With roller setting practice really does make perfect. Thanks for sharing your pics and technique.

pookaloo83

I'm not a part of this challenge but this thread inspired me to give roller setting a shot. So I washed, dc'd, I used Infusium 21 and Lotta Body Setting Lotion diluted in water. I used these snap on rollers (dunno the name) and end paper. I have no idea how to do a real roller set, so I did a pony roller set. The results were definitely not the best but I'm going to keep trying. My ends came out ok but a good portion of my hair was still curly. I just flat ironed afterward. Even though the roller set wasn't that great my hair straightened a lot easier and it got really straight. I have had very little reversion since then. So I like roller setting better than blow drying...I just hope I get faster and more efficient at it.

So here are the pics.

View attachment 127655

View attachment 127657

View attachment 127659

This is how it looked after I flat ironed it. A little flat from the avacado oil but definitely the straightest and softest to date!

View attachment 127661

Lmao at the name of your dryer. Hot and hotter. :lachen:

Your set came out nice and your flat ironed hair even nicer!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.

kblc06, I think it's your growth spurt that may be causing the itchiness.

So here are the pics.

View attachment 127655

View attachment 127657

View attachment 127659

View attachment 127661

keepithealthy, your hair looks great! that's your first time?? Your sets will only continue to get better and better....
Btw, I wouldn't call this a strict challenge-it's really just a thread for people who rollerset to share tips, technique, etc.

candy626

I also decided to rollerset today and flat iron so that I could dust my ends. I used a mix of Ethiopian rollers, Annie Mesh rollers, and Magnetic. I was kind of in a rush so I didn't smooth the hair on the roller as good as I could have, but I knew I was going to flat iron anyway. I included a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 353

keepithealthy

Your set turned out NICE! With roller setting practice really does make perfect. Thanks for sharing your pics and technique.

Thanks!

Lmao at the name of your dryer. Hot and hotter. :lachen:

Your set came out nice and your flat ironed hair even nicer!

Thanks lol I was dc'ing my neice the other day and she read the name of the dryer and was like :nono: is this gonna burn my hair. lol :lachen:

kblc06,

keepithealthy, your hair looks great! that's your first time?? Your sets will only continue to get better and better....
Btw, I wouldn't call this a strict challenge-it's really just a thread for people who rollerset to share tips, technique, etc.

It's actually my 2nd time. I did one in January. Thanks for the compliment and starting this thread. Great info in here.

Good job keepithealthy we all had to start somewhere and I'm glad you were inspired! Welcome and you have beautiful hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thank you

kblc06 If I'm not mistaken my scalp was itchier when I used to flat iron before I began rollersetting lol. I don't use the highest setting on my dryer, I keep it to medium heat which is one below the hottest. Try skipping the oil sheen one time and see if you're still itchy so you can narrow it down. Have you tried keeping the dryer to a lower setting?

Rusk Smoother Conditioner. I really like it, it instantly smooths and softens the hair.

And also for a cheapie, Silken Child Leave-In Detangler.
I use this :D. I have an old bottle and I just figured I'd use it for rollersets. I use it in combo with ChiSilk Infusion, just a small amount of both before I towel dry. During the rolling process I just use water.

If you are having trouble getting the clips to hold the hair properly or finding them cramped and bumping into each other I recommend these. I just think they are genius yet so simple but apparently no one thought of it before lol. These are the same ones Mskikbibi uses.http://www.sallybeauty.com/Metal-Cli...efault,pd.html

The difference in actual length of the clips is miniscule but they don't poke out off the roller as the regular ones do...(compared to a typical clip)
Photo 315.jpg

Photo 317.jpg

Picture 1.jpg

candy626

If you are having trouble getting the clips to hold the hair properly or finding them cramped and bumping into each other I recommend these. I just think they are genius yet so simple but apparently no one thought of it before lol. These are the same ones Mskikbibi uses.http://www.sallybeauty.com/Metal-Cli...efault,pd.html

The difference in actual length of the clips is miniscule but they don't poke out off the roller as the regular ones do...(compared to a typical clip)
View attachment 127689

View attachment 127691

View attachment 127693

I never knew the difference between the all the clips. I think I've been using single prong clips that poke out the roller:perplexed. I will have to try it with those other clips you show in the picture.

pookaloo83

I also decided to rollerset today and flat iron so that I could dust my ends. I used a mix of Ethiopian rollers, Annie Mesh rollers, and Magnetic. I was kind of in a rush so I didn't smooth the hair on the roller as good as I could have, but I knew I was going to flat iron anyway. I included a few pictures.

Where can one buy these rollers?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i wish i could get some Ethiopian rollers. it seems like i will never get my hands on them... i do have a friend in italy. maybe i should get in contact with her...

also has anyone tried the Morris Flamingo brand of rollers?

they look old school but high quality. they also have a short version that look interesting. i might buy some because i always run out of room in the back

my current magnetic rollers have parts that snag my hair because the plastic wasn't cut properly.

I am also looking for EXTRA LONG magnetic Rollers. i still cannot seem to find them. i know they exist because the lady at the Dominican salon used them on me. its so frustrating. the morris flamingo say their rollers are long but i think they are long in comparison to the short ones they offer.

winona

i wish i could get some Ethiopian rollers. it seems like i will never get my hands on them... i do have a friend in italy. maybe i should get in contact with her...

they look old school but high quality. they also have a short version that look interesting. i might buy some because i always run out of room in the back

my current magnetic rollers have parts that snag my hair because the plastic wasn't cut properly.

I am also looking for EXTRA LONG magnetic Rollers. i still cannot seem to find them. i know they exist because the lady at the Dominican salon used them on me. its so frustrating. the morris flamingo say their rollers are long but i think they are long in comparison to the short ones they offer.

http://www.sears.com/morris-flamingo-12-dozen-assorted-rollers/p-SPM2678541702P

and here

http://www.amazon.com/Morris-Flamingo-Dozen-Assorted-Rollers/dp/B0002FAIKA?tag=food1d1-20

questionable

How about strawllers...they are mainly used for straw sets, they are nice and long and they come in different widths also.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

Napp

What size long rollers do you need? I will stop by our local store on Saturday. I know the sold the long one.

candy626

Where can one buy these rollers?

I was able to get mine from a wholesaler who sent me a couple of sample packs. I had planned on ordering a bunch from him and then selling them on ebay or something but he flaked out on me, and stopped answering my e-mails.

I'm still trying to look for another source for these roller as I only have enough for the back of my head.

Evolving78

does anyone use the satin sponge rollers to maintain their set during the week? i love those things. i wear my hair curly all week. i don't comb or wrap my hair up, since i use small rollers to achieve a spiral look.

MACGlossChick

omg YES. end papers are an absolute must. They help my ends come out much silkier and straighter. I don't do a set without them.
Seriously, try them-they're not expensive and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I cannot get the hang of end papers! I've watched youtube vids and i still can't figure it out. I just pull the roller without rolling a couple of times and my ends always come out good.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I did a pony tail set with magnetics this week. I used razac leave in,kerapro elixir and a tiny bit of elasta qp foam.

Omgggg it was the silkiest rollerset i ever had. I wish i did it traditionally because my hair got tangled when i was trying to take an elastic out when my hair was wet. It knotted badly and i had to cut it out :( also i sat under the dryer for 1.5 hour and airdried for 2 hours and it was still wet at the root :( i took them out and put my hair in foam rollers and those roots puffed back up. I wanted it straight for a special occasion tommorow so i flat ironed. It took me longer to set this way imo. I think i will stick to magnetics for a while. My hair came out so smooth if i had mohawked it i wouldnt have had to use direct heat at all.

pics
set

rollers out

flat ironed

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i still need help with the sides. when i try doing it in 2 main sections i cant get my roots taut. but in 3 sections i can but i run out of room for the rollers which is why i want some shorter rollers.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Here is a small tip for anyone who has an issue with the feeling that the metal clips snag ther hair too much especially when using mesh roller

use jumbo bobby pins at the base of the roller to keep it secure

then put 3" long french bobby pins through the roller(like roller picks) to get them extra taut

(i like these better than the 3" plastic picks i was using!)

i found that i didnt hear any snapping of strands when inserted the pins and the roots stayed very taut with no pain.

kblc06

i still need help with the sides. when i try doing it in 2 main sections i cant get my roots taut. but in 3 sections i can but i run out of room for the rollers which is why i want some shorter rollers.

Napp What exactly do you mean? Do you mean in 3 rows? Perhaps you may want to try a different setting pattern