NATURALS: ROLLERSETTING Challenge!!!!!!!

Mandy4610

My last two rollersets did not come out well at all. My hair has grown and my rollers are too small. I need to find good rollers ASAP. The ones I have been using are not working anymore.

momi

rsmith - your mom's hair is gorgeous!

i am setting this afternoon, i will post pics if Jesus tarries.

Supervixen

I did another rollerset last night. I just had to see if I could mimick the results from my first one Sunday night!!!

Ms_Twana

Okay, ladies. I FINALLY rollerset my hair today. I did the ponytail rollerset. Can't post pictures just yet. I will soon.

Anyway. The section of my hair that was exposed was wavy because I couldn't keep the rollers really tight. So it looked just like that when my hair was dry, and the rest was actually really straight. I didn't know if ladies straightened their roots before saran wrapping or not, so I started off flat ironing my roots. Then, when I realized I couldn't comb through my hair :nono:, I decided to just flat iron all of it instead. So, I flat iron each section that was in a roller. Then I rolled my hair back up, while I finished painting.

I just took the rollers out, and my curls were pretty, BUT, my roots were a mess. I was able to get my shower comb through it, but I have learned a lesson. I will NOT be doing a ponytail set then flat iron in such large sections again. I hate not being able to run my finger through my hair when it's straight. But now that I think about it, I was sweating while I was painting, I wonder if that caused the madness in my roots. :perplexed

youwillrise

i want to join this challenge
i just became interested in setting my natural hair

i bought some flexirods today
but i need about 2 more packs haha
i really didnt think i'd need that many

i put the package i bought in my hair
hopefully it wont come out horrible
or if it does...hopefully i can blend it
and make it look kinda decent? haha

oh...and i'll be setting on twists instead of loose hair

youwillrise

hmmm

so this style has real potential for me

i think i'm going to go out today (or try to)
and get some more flexirods

i took the ones i did last night down
and the front looks really good
the back, not so much because like i said
i didnt have enough

but i'm going to keep playing with these/this style

Mandy4610

hmmm

so this style has real potential for me

i think i'm going to go out today (or try to)
and get some more flexirods

i took the ones i did last night down
and the front looks really good
the back, not so much because like i said
i didnt have enough

but i'm going to keep playing with these/this style
Maybe I should try flexirods for my hair. I am so frustrated with finding rollers that work for the length I have. The rollers I used when my hair was shorter don't work anymore.:nono:
The little teeth on them are pulling my hair and I am afraid I am loosing too much hair.
I think I will see if DH can go to Sally's with me today.
How many packages did you use?

youwillrise

Maybe I should try flexirods for my hair. I am so frustrated with finding rollers that work for the length I have. The rollers I used when my hair was shorter don't work anymore.:nono:
The little teeth on them are pulling my hair and I am afraid I am loosing too much hair.
I think I will see if DH can go to Sally's with me today.
How many packages did you use?

i only bought one
there were 10 rods in it

i REALLY thought that would be enough
...silly me

not sure if i should get one or two more packs
i think i could do with one more

i didnt have THAT much hair that didnt fit.

they're $8-something at my sallys
i thought flexirods were cheaper than that!

my hair doesnt look flexiroddy
the curls arent spirally
looks more like a regular rollerset

kblc06

Still going strong..so far my hair feels much healthier and I've retained quite a bit of length. My 1-Month progress pics can be found here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=349365&highlight=

I'm having so much fun trying new techniques and tweaking my method. Thus far, I've learned the following:

-Mizani Foam Wrap & Diluted UltraSheen are the BUSINESS!....but I still ordered some Lacio Lacio to be sure I wasn't missing out on anything :look:

-Maxius Beyond Straight is IDEAL for making my sets smoother, especially the 4a/b sections around the perimeter. I don't why it didn't dawn on me sooner. It made a huge difference in this week's set. Not only could I apply my rollers much more easily, I didn't even have touch my edges with a flat-iron or anything....and yes I plan to post pics :grin

-Wrapping the hair, covering it with a du-rag, and sitting under the dryer for about 15-20 minutes produces MUCH silkier results than saran wrapping....which can be a hit or miss. It never goes wrong and my hair always ends up sleeker and bouncier.

-It IS possible for me to roll the hair on the sides going upwards and to roll the mohawk section down and still fit the rollers. I used to think that the sides and edges would not turn out smoothly, but they, in fact, turned out much better. I used the same method for this week's rollerset except I alternated purple and grey rollers for a sleeker set:
007.jpg

-My edges come out straighter using the method above, but I get those dents from the roller clamps. I don't get dents when I roll "upward". However, my hair wraps much more easily and hangs better when I roll "downward"

-The Jumbo roller pins hold my rollers much more securely than the smaller ones alone

That's all for now ( I do plan on posting pics within the next day or so). Oh and one more thing...check out how smooth this lady's hair gets from this Dominican rollerset (I'd say she's about a 4a or 4a/b combo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-cMEThw0Os&feature=channel_page

discodumpling

Rollerset & saran wrapped:

It held up through a couple hours of SOCA music & the electric slide!

Setting lotion: I diluted Lottabody with Rosewater & added a bit of castor oil. I had a nice soft set that wrapped easily.

Supervixen

I did 2 rollersets last week, and one Saturday afternoon. I still in love!

I'm thinking I may need bigger rollers for some parts of my hair...how do you know when you're ready to move from the red to the purple or the purple to the grey? I think I'll start a thread about it...

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Thank you for posting the pics of the Dominican blow out! I will now try to blow dry my hair that way from now on.:yep: For me, I would've just roller set on the blow dried hair and not used a flat iron. She got the hair relaxer strait. I wonder if I could get results like that at home.:scratchch Time for more research!:grin:

Mandy4610

Good job ladies. I am glad to see that a lot of us are still rollersetting. I have been rollersetting pretty much every week. I have discovered that rollersetting is the only way to straighten my hair for now.

I am still looking for the best type of rollers. So far no luck:sad: but I am making do with what I have.

Mandy4610

Hi Ladies, we are in the last two weeks of the challenge. One or two more rollersets to go.

I will be continueing with rollersetting for sure. It is the best way to sraighten my hair.

Carrie A

Everyone's results were very nice. I only managed one set, but it came out well. Perhaps I'll try one more before the challenge ends. Thanks Mandy!

Mandy4610

Hey Ladies!
The challenge is OVER!

Here are the results (if you did not see them already) from my last rollerset for this Challenge: