Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What exactly do you mean? Do you mean in 3 rows? Perhaps you may want to try a different setting pattern

kblc06

when you do the sides of a mohawk you part from ear to ear and make 2 main sections. then you split the back half into 3-4 sections to roll and the front into 3.

i have better success splitting the side into 3 large sections vs 2 and putting 3 rollers on each section but i run out of space for rollers. i hope that makes sense.

kblc06

@kblc06

when you do the sides of a mohawk you part from ear to ear and make 2 main sections. then you split the back half into 3-4 sections to roll and the front into 3.

i have better success splitting the side into 3 large sections vs 2 and putting 3 rollers on each section but i run out of space for rollers. i hope that makes sense.

Napp
I think I know what your getting at, perhaps these alternate patterns may work. Also, you may want divide your hair in less wide sections- this will keep your hair from falling off the sides of the roller and will also keep the tension. Hope this helps :grin:

In this pic, the three rollers in the front are rolled upwards . I separated this section from the back half, by dividing the front-side rollers to the midline of my ear. Think of it as if you're parting you hair starting from the tip of your ear and parting in a straight line all the way across. From a side view, it would look as though there as a line dividing you ear in half- this is where the part for the side sections should start.

Like so:

The back:

The roller highlight by the red oval was rolled at an angle like so:

Because that angled section is so wide, when it starts to overflow off the sides, I take off hair on the right side of that roller (if I'm working on the right side) or the left side (if I working on the left section) and set that hair a side to roll at an angle also. Normally this section will be rolled vertically, facing backwards or forwards depending on what's comfortable. You can see this roller in the center of the picture. I use a long bobby to keep it in place for more tension.

This is pic is the same principle as described before, except instead of doing a mohawk section, I've rolled my hair upwards with the each side facing the other. In the back, I've rolled my hair downward in about 4 sections going across:

candy626

I bought a Belson Gold N' Hot rollabout dryer (only $88 bucks at Sally's). Figured I'd try some cheaper versions before getting a Pibbs.

I experimented with it, by putting some jumbo 2.5 inch black magnetic rollers on dry hair, then sitting under it. The dryer was large enough to fit them. It seems to get pretty hot on the highest setting also. But I guess I won't fully know how it works until this weekend when I try rollersetting for real.

Will try and post results this weekend.

kandiekj100

kblc06, I have disatrous results with my rollersets in the past but see that yours are steller. I have coily hair that I just can't seem to pull taught enough to have decent results. I see that your rollers have caps (I assume that's what their called), however mine do not have caps, so I just try to old the rollers in place with duck bill clips. Would you say the caps make a huge difference or is it just that you have so much practice under your belt, you just know what you are doing now. I would love to be able to do rollersets myself.

kblc06

@kblc06, I have disatrous results with my rollersets in the past but see that yours are steller. I have coily hair that I just can't seem to pull taught enough to have decent results. I see that your rollers have caps (I assume that's what their called), however mine do not have caps, so I just try to old the rollers in place with duck bill clips. Would you say the caps make a huge difference or is it just that you have so much practice under your belt, you just know what you are doing now. I would love to be able to do rollersets myself.

kandiekj100

For me, they're my handicap of sorts lol. But I find that they keep the roots of my hair from curling up as it dries. Once it's taut on the roller, the clamps help keep it in place and provide extra tension- so yes they make a pretty big difference. But practice has made it perfect :yep:. Also, using a denman vs a rat tail comb is more efficient

kandiekj100

@kandiekj100

For me, they're my handicap of sorts lol. But I find that they keep the roots of my hair from curling up as it dries. Once it's taut on the roller, the clamps help keep it in place and provide extra tension- so yes they make a pretty big difference. But practice has made it perfect :yep:. Also, using a denman vs a rat tail comb is more efficient

@kandiekj100 i know you didnt ask me but IMO the snap on caps make so much of a difference for natural hair.:yep:

kblc06 & Napp - Thanks bunches ladies! I guess I'll be purchasing some more rollers because I'm determined to not have to pay money on rollersets. If I do it myself, than I won't have any quams about washing my hair after only a week, since it only will have cost me a little bit of time.

I'm still doing weekly rollersets but I'm having an issue with the rollers being so cramped on my head! Last time, the rollers were pushing and shoving each other so hard that many of them loosened up:(. I just do not understand how to make them all fit cleanly. I must be using too many but I need this many to fit all of my hair. Any suggestions?

@kandiekj100

I'm tempted to go back to the snaps. My very first ever rollerset that I did a few weeks ago was mostly with the snap ons and I still think it was my best and easiest to date. Those metal clips are so difficult. Luckily I still have a ton of 1 3/4 inch snap ons.

Evolving78

does anyone like the plastic clips, instead of the metal ones? i bought a few packets and want to try them out friday.

i still need help with the sides. when i try doing it in 2 main sections i cant get my roots taut. but in 3 sections i can but i run out of room for the rollers which is why i want some shorter rollers.
@Napp, this set seems to have them all. I'm having major fit issues as well :nono: I'm going to order these possibly tonight lol. I only wish they came in 1 3/4 size but I can make do with 1 1/2...http://www.amazon.com/Morris-Flamin...AIKA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320901666&sr=8-3

'Scuse all my redundant postings in here :lol:. I'm just really into rollersetting these days. My hair hasn't looked healthier than this since before I ever started damaging it so I'm very set on perfecting the art of setting my hair. I was even considering a mannequin head lol but a mannequin head won't be exactly like my own head so I'm better off practicing on mine lol.

kblc06, I just examined the pics and you like almost everyone else seems to be able to evenly section off two side sections are I guess 3 back mohawk sections. I tried this last time and I needed more than 2 sections for my sides :(. I did the mohawk no problem, I was able to sort of do 2 half mohawks next to the main one in the back but getting over to the sides, I needed more than 2 rows to cover all my side hair Then the rollers were going nuts crashing into each other lol, loosening up. I need to try this again :(. I know my head can't be that big lol.

winona

Does anyone have a review of the Morris Flamingo brand of rollers? inquiring minds want to know as rollersetting to stretch my hair is my new bff

candy626

I tried out the Belson Gold N' Hot Rollabout dryer that I got from Sally's, and I really like it a lot. It dried my hair much faster and evenly than my old Ion Table Top Dryer. Sat under the dryer at 1:35pm and was totally dry at 2:10. It would have taken me 20 extra minute with my old dryer plus the back of my hair would not have been dry.

It doesn't get overly hot but because of the way the air circulates it doesnt need to. I'm glad I purchased it, before spending several hundred dollars on a Pibbs.

I also attempted to set with magnetic rollers again, and it came out ok. I am over 12 weeks post relaxer so my roots did not want to cooperate, no matter how taut I pulled the rollers. I flat ironed my roots and did a silk wrap. Here are the results:

This is when I took the rollers out:

After I combed out the set:

After flat ironing roots, and quick 10 minute silk wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

bebezazueta

candy626 beautiful lady! Look at that shine & health. You can't tell from the pics that you're 12 weeks post.

I'm glad you posted about your dryer experience. I have an ion table dryer also but I'm getting a salonsrus rollabout for Christmas!

Evolving78

those plastic clips suck! they kept slipping out! i really like using the larger rollers. it gave me the look of a roller wrap.

Evolving78

i honestly don't make three big sections. i comb my hair to the back and just section my hair the size of the roller for each roll all the way back in the center. then i start on the side. i place two rollers on each side. it just works out for me.

kblc06, I just examined the pics and you like almost everyone else seems to be able to evenly section off two side sections are I guess 3 back mohawk sections. I tried this last time and I needed more than 2 sections for my sides :(. I did the mohawk no problem, I was able to sort of do 2 half mohawks next to the main one in the back but getting over to the sides, I needed more than 2 rows to cover all my side hair Then the rollers were going nuts crashing into each other lol, loosening up. I need to try this again :(. I know my head can't be that big lol.

candy626

@candy626 beautiful lady! Look at that shine & health. You can't tell from the pics that you're 12 weeks post.

I'm glad you posted about your dryer experience. I have an ion table dryer also but I'm getting a salonsrus rollabout for Christmas!

Thanks girl :spinning:! I used coconut oil as leave in which seemed to really help with the sheen.

And yes, I would definitely recommend getting a rollabout dryer (I heard the Salonrus is really good). It really does make a difference in drying time. My Ion dryer, though it got really hot, did not circulate air properly and would not fully dry the sides and back of my hair, even after an hour. The Gold N' Hot dryer definitely seems to work much better so far.

Evolving78

i put some pin curls in my hair since i wasn't feelin my wrap. i don't want to put heat in my hair to style. i hope they come out nice. if not, i'll just put my satin sponge rollers tonight and call it a day.

I'm sitting here with dirty hair because I refuse to rollerset till I receive some new rollers lol, hopefully by mid week or I'll just have to wash and stay curly for a while lol. I refuse to flat iron my hair like the old days. I think rollersetting will be the thing that allows me to reach my hair goals, I already see a major difference in the health of my hair.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
candy626 are you relaxed or natural? Your avi and fotki n pics looked like natural hair to me :S beautiful results. Im not rollersetting again until i get my touch up and corrective. The texturizer i have leaves too much texture in my hair to rollerset regularly and efficiently.

candy626

@candy626 are you relaxed or natural? Your avi and fotki n pics looked like natural hair to me :S beautiful results. Im not rollersetting again until i get my touch up and corrective. The texturizer i have leaves too much texture in my hair to rollerset regularly and efficiently.

A lot of people ask me that! Even when I went to a Dominican salon last year the lady tried to tell me there was no way I could be relaxed. I use a mild-relaxer every 12 weeks or so (not sure if this is what "texlaxed" is). But even when I used to get a regular strength relaxer every 6-8 weeks at a salon, my hair was the exact same way it looks now (except with straighter roots). My hair is just really resistent to straightening I suppose. I just like the smoothness and manageability I get from relaxers more so then straightening effects.

And thanks :look:. I tried really hard with this roller set. I hope to one day master these magnetic rollers

I also think I will hold off again on rollersetting, until I get a relaxer. Im in the process of switching brands though.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I tried out the Belson Gold N' Hot Rollabout dryer that I got from Sally's, and I really like it a lot. It dried my hair much faster and evenly than my old Ion Table Top Dryer. Sat under the dryer at 1:35pm and was totally dry at 2:10. It would have taken me 20 extra minute with my old dryer plus the back of my hair would not have been dry.

It doesn't get overly hot but because of the way the air circulates it doesnt need to. I'm glad I purchased it, before spending several hundred dollars on a Pibbs.

I also attempted to set with magnetic rollers again, and it came out ok. I am over 12 weeks post relaxer so my roots did not want to cooperate, no matter how taut I pulled the rollers. I flat ironed my roots and did a silk wrap. Here are the results:

This is when I took the rollers out:

After I combed out the set:

After flat ironing roots, and quick 10 minute silk wrap.

candy626, what a gorgeous set!!! :love:

NYDee

candy626, how do you do your silk wrap and still have curls left. I sit under the dryer for only 7mins and my hair becomes straight and bob like.

I wish I could get a Rollabout dryer but i don't have the space.

Brownsilk8

Starting Length/Goal Length: Close to shoulder length/ MB
Why You Rollerset:To keep from using a lot of heat and promote healthier stronger hair. It’s also a good way to hide new growth in between relaxers.
How Often:Once a week
Products:Lottabody Olive Oil Setting Lotion/Shea Moisture Hair tonic (after drying)
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) I always use magnetic rollers of different sizes usually green, yellow and pink. But I would love to try flexi rods. I also roll my hair ever night. And wear a satin cap.
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting:Hmmm… for me air drying usually leaves it so soft I can’t do anything with my hair so I would say use a hooded dryer. Also I just started using Roots of Nature Strengthener Oil moisturizer on my scalp and ends prior to rolling and drying my hair.

candy626

@candy626, how do you do your silk wrap and still have curls left. I sit under the dryer for only 7mins and my hair becomes straight and bob like.

I wish I could get a Rollabout dryer but i don't have the space.

My hair just loves to stay curly! Even a couple days after flat ironing, my hair will start to curl and wave up on it's own. I've noticed when looking at other people's silk wraps after rollersets, that their hair looks nearly straight. A silk wrap just seems to relax my curls somewhat.

What I do is comb out my set with a wide tooth comb or sometimes a denman brush. Then, I take a smaller tooth comb and kind of wrap and smooth my hair around my head. I may use a boar bristle brush, but I try to avoid using a brush if possible. I use a Hydra-Cap that I got from Sally's but have also used regular seran wrap with the same results.

Space can be an issue with rollabout dryers, but they are so worth it!