NATURALS: ROLLERSETTING Challenge!!!!!!!

Transformer

Didn't want to say anything because I haven't figured out how to post pictures and I knew I would get the "worthless thread" banner, but I rollerset for the first time without any setting lotion and my set came out fabulous but with less hold. It was straighter than ever and very, very soft. I had to roll on sateen rollers for the night to get a tighter curl but I'll take it.

I cutting out a lot of steps and "miracle products" and keeping things very simple. I believe a lot of product suffocates my hair causing dryness and shedding.
For the next 12 weeks I will use a very gentle conditioning shampoo, Henna and placenta for deep conditioning, roller set with just water, and ten moisturize Komaza care coconut lotion sealing with a mixture of avocado/castor oil.

Mandy4610

Hi Ladies,
Here is my latest rollerset...This was done with less Lottabody & more water; I also ran out of castor oil & used coconut instead in my setting lotion mix. My results were just OK...

I use various sized magnetic rollers.

My hair had loads of texture...which is what I prefer.

..& here is the previous roller set. I was completely pleased with these results. I think the tsp of castor oil in my setting lotion makes a huge difference:

Rollersetting gets easier each time I do it. It takes me about 45 mins to set my hair & i'm sure i'll cut down on that time with continued practise.

No more roller sets until April for me! I'm back in full PS mode with my skinny plaits:yep:
Beautiful results. I like both of your rollersets:grin:
My hair always has quite a bit of texture when I rollerset too.

Didn't want to say anything because I haven't figured out how to post pictures and I knew I would get the "worthless thread" banner, but I rollerset for the first time without any setting lotion and my set came out fabulous but with less hold. It was straighter than ever and very, very soft. I had to roll on sateen rollers for the night to get a tighter curl but I'll take it.

I cutting out a lot of steps and "miracle products" and keeping things very simple. I believe a lot of product suffocates my hair causing dryness and shedding.
For the next 12 weeks I will use a very gentle conditioning shampoo, Henna and placenta for deep conditioning, roller set with just water, and ten moisturize Komaza care coconut lotion sealing with a mixture of avocado/castor oil.
I am doing the same.:yep:

TeaKyoo

Curious... my son's loctician mentioned using sugar water as a setting lotion. What do yall think? Anyone do this? Anyone know someone that has?

Thanks!

TQ

momi

ITA - my last rollerset (Saturday) was done with JC Wrap and Roll and searling with coconut oil only on the ends... this was the best one yet. Even DH was commenting on how "silky" my hair looked...

strawbearysweet

I need help with my rollersets :ohwell: This weekend I tried my best to do one and it came out horrible! It took me two hours just to get the mohawk section done and then I just ended up doing a ponytail rollerset on the sides. It still sucked. How do you get the hair smooth on the outside of the roller? I sprayed each section as suggested but it stayed curly at the ends and never got slick enough to stick. :wallbash: As soon as I got it rolled and firm the outside started frizzing up. Help:cry3:

kblc06

I need help with my rollersets :ohwell: This weekend I tried my best to do one and it came out horrible! It took me two hours just to get the mohawk section done and then I just ended up doing a ponytail rollerset on the sides. It still sucked. How do you get the hair smooth on the outside of the roller? I sprayed each section as suggested but it stayed curly at the ends and never got slick enough to stick. :wallbash: As soon as I got it rolled and firm the outside started frizzing up. Help:cry3:

http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-2-jan/wet-rollerset-tutor/

I posted a pic tutorial that may help you out:grin:

Mandy4610

My rollerset from today:
Excuse the confusing color of my hair in the pix. The flash made the second pic seem like my hair is brown. The first pic is my real hair color.

Mandy4610

Hey, sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your rollersets. I have the same issue. I have slowly started to get the hang of using magnetic rollers, but I usually use these:

They work pretty good for me, especially with my current length. I am pretty sure if you got bigger ones you could use them on longer hair.
(see my results on the previous page)

You could also try curlformers. I have never tried them, but the results I have seen on here have been great.

HTH.

kblc06

Your tutorial is awesome. I was actually studying it right b4 I did mine :look:...it's what made me assume I could do a neat one. That soooo was not the case. Would you say it was the lottabody or the chi that makes it smooth? I didn't use either. I had lacio lacio and biosilk.

Well, I now use UltraSheen super setting lotion diluted with water (which results it a smoother set-at least for me). The chi helps with smoothing as well, but I think biosilk is comparable. My ends stay curly as well, but what I do is apply a bit of some super creamy leave-in (Cantu or African's best organic olive oil conditioner), at the last 2 inches of hair. I comb through with the fine-toothed portion of the comb; catching the very ends of my hair as I remove the comb, I pull it taut, take my roller underneath the section of and smooth with my thumbs until the hair begins to overlap, and I remove my thumb only when the remaining, top-portion of the hair overlaps the ends. There is never ANY slack in my hair during this process. HTH

strawbearysweet

Hey, sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your rollersets. I have the same issue. I have slowly started to get the hang of using magnetic rollers, but I usually use these. They work pretty good for me, especially with my current length. I am pretty sure if you got bigger ones you could use them on longer hair.
(see my results on the previous page)

You could also try curlformers. I have never tried them, but the results I have seen on here have been great.

HTH.

Do the ones w/ the teeth cause tangles? I was trying not to spend so much on rollers but I do like the results of curlformers. Looks like that might be my best bet though especially if regular rollersetting doesn't pan out. Thanks!

Well, I now use UltraSheen super setting lotion diluted with water (which results it a smoother set-at least for me). The chi helps with smoothing as well, but I think biosilk is comparable. My ends stay curly as well, but what I do is apply a bit of some super creamy leave-in (Cantu or African's best organic olive oil conditioner), at the last 2 inches of hair. I comb through with the fine-toothed portion of the comb; catching the very ends of my hair as I remove the comb, I pull it taut, take my roller underneath the section of and smooth with my thumbs until the hair begins to overlap, and I remove my thumb only when the remaining, top-portion of the hair overlaps the ends. There is never ANY slack in my hair during this process. HTH

This is helpful. I'm sitting here practicing on dry hair and will try it for real again this week. We'll see how it goes. Thankx. Is it too much to rollerset 2 times a week on natural hair?

Last edited:

kblc06

Your rollerset looks so beautiful and smooth! Isn't your hair type 4a/4b? The devil was a LIE! Who says natural, nappy, curly hair can't be rollerset :grin:? We're living proof :yep:. Do you ever leave the curls in like the first pic? That would be really cute with a headband

My rollerset from today:
Excuse the confusing color of my hair in the pix. The flash made the second pic seem like my hair is brown. The first pic is my real hair color.

Do the ones w/ the teeth cause tangles? I was trying not to spend so much on rollers but I do like the results of curlformers. Looks like that might be my best bet though especially if regular rollersetting doesn't pan out. Thanks!

This is helpful. I'm sitting here practicing on dry hair and will try it for real again this week. We'll see how it goes. Thankx. Is it too much to rollerset 2 times a week on natural hair?

I have done sets 2x in one week if it my hair fell apart or if my scalp or hair felt excessively dry

Mandy4610

No...the teeth do not cause tangles at all and no snugging either. The teeth are rounded off and they are a good width apart. I do not get any tangles, snugging or frizz when I use those rollers. I want to buy bigger ones now that my hair is longer.

I also would like to try curlformers one day, but I will wait until my hair is longer, that way I won't have to replace them with longer one when my hair is longer.

Good luck

Mandy4610

Your rollerset looks so beautiful and smooth! Isn't your hair type 4a/4b? The devil was a LIE! Who says natural, nappy, curly hair can't be rollerset :grin:? We're living proof :yep:. Do you ever leave the curls in like the first pic? That would be really cute with a headband
Yep...I have done this before:

Last edited:

Essensual

Curious... my son's loctician mentioned using sugar water as a setting lotion. What do yall think? Anyone do this? Anyone know someone that has?

Thanks!

TQ

Though I don't have a recipe (you can probably find it in google) I know that this is possible. When I was in high school, some of my Caucasian classmates (rockers, punks, Goth etc..) used a sugar water solution to create gravity defying spikes and other hair styles. These are the same kids who dyed their hair with Kool-Aid.
(Dats where I get off da boat, 'cause we DRINK Kool-Aid at MY address.):lachen::lachen::lachen:Favorite flavor? RED! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

sheba1

Mandy, that roller set is the bomb! Your results are just getting smoother and smoother! Gorgeous!! Did you do a silk wrap for the second pic? If not, have you considered doing one? I wonder if you can get it even smoother with more body by adding a silk wrap?! :thud:

Kblc06, thanks so much for sharing your roller set tutorial. So great! I'm gonna give it a shot as soon as I take out these blasted braids!

Last edited:

momi

My rollerset from today:

Very pretty! You are on a "roll" with the rollersets.

Okay that was lame... but your sets are very pretty.

Mandy4610

Mandy, that roller set is the bomb! Your results are just getting smoother and smoother! Gorgeous!! Did you do a silk wrap for the second pic? If not, have you considered doing one? I wonder if you can get it even smoother with more body by adding a silk wrap?! :thud:
Thank you...no I did not do a silk wrap. I always blow out the roots and do bantu knots after my rollersets. :look:

This is how it turns out:

Sometimes it looks nicer than other times. :ohwell:

sheba1

Pretty!! Ok, since I am in braids, you've got to take over and do the silk wrap, Mandy. Do it for all the 4a/b ladies, ok?! :yawn:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Okay, when purchasing mesh rollers, there's this brush inside...do you guys take that out or leave it in? Also, do you prefer the stick pins or the clips to secure your rollers...i'm gonna invest in these today, so i hope you guys respond...TIA~

Also, are you all using water to set your hair or some kind of leave-in like Lottabody or wrapping foam?

imstush

I've been forgetting to take pics...I forgot again last night so I got half my head in rollersets.

I shampooed with Organix coconut milk, I dc'ed with La bomba, I then added Morrocan oil and some Chi to my hair. Sat under the dryer for about an hour (that morrocan oil really does speed up drying time)
photo.jpg

photo (2).jpg

I forgot to take the pic of how I style my hair. But I basically flatiron just the roots so I still have lots of curls at the ends of my hair.

ETA: my hair is actually midback (was WL until the dominicans decided to chop it off) but I love how much curls my hair has in that first pic.

mkd

Okay, when purchasing mesh rollers, there's this brush inside...do you guys take that out or leave it in? Also, do you prefer the stick pins or the clips to secure your rollers...i'm gonna invest in these today, so i hope you guys respond...TIA~

Also, are you all using water to set your hair or some kind of leave-in like Lottabody or wrapping foam?

I use the mesh rollers, but not the ones with the brush. I use roller pins.
I use water to roller set.

Mandy4610

Pretty!! Ok, since I am in braids, you've got to take over and do the silk wrap, Mandy. Do it for all the 4a/b ladies, ok?! :yawn:
:grin: Girl I am gonna need some kind of a tutorial for that:look:
I have no idea how I can do that on my hair at this length.
I would represent if I knew how:lachen:

Sorry...I have no answers regarding the mesh rollers. I don't use them.

When I rollerset, I spray a little leave-in, apply coconut oil and spray each section with water as I roll.

I've been forgetting to take pics...I forgot again last night so I got half my head in rollersets.

I shampooed with Organix coconut milk, I dc'ed with La bomba, I then added Morrocan oil and some Chi to my hair. Sat under the dryer for about an hour (that morrocan oil really does speed up drying time)
View attachment 27617

View attachment 27619

I forgot to take the pic of how I style my hair. But I basically flatiron just the roots so I still have lots of curls at the ends of my hair.

ETA: my hair is actually midback (was WL until the dominicans decided to chop it off) but I love how much curls my hair has in that first pic.
WOW...Your hair is gorgeous:yep:

sheba1

:grin: Girl I am gonna need some kind of a tutorial for that:look:
I have no idea how I can do that on my hair at this length.
I would represent if I knew how:lachen:
No problem, Mandy. Gurl, I got you!!! after you take out your rollers and your hair is dry, you add a smidgen of moisturizer. Wrap your hair and cover with plastic wrap. Sit under the dryer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove saran wrap, unwrap hair.

Here's what it looks like on the only natural I've seen do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Celdl4_PULU

I'm so excited about your hair. It's just lovely. :heart:

Mandy4610

No problem, Mandy. Gurl, I got you!!! after you take out your rollers and your hair is dry, you add a smidgen of moisturizer. Wrap your hair and cover with plastic wrap. Sit under the dryer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove saran wrap, unwrap hair.

Here's what it looks like on the only natural I've seen do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Celdl4_PULU

I'm so excited about your hair. It's just lovely. :heart:
Awwww....Thank you so much. I will try this next time I rollerset. Lets see how it turns out on my hair length.

You are an angel!

Rapunzel*

i would love to join this challenge! i did a roller set once already this month. but im not going to do it until i get a pibbs from sallys.:yep:

BostonMaria

Mandy4610, your rollerset hair is beautiful!!! BTW ladies, ANY hair type can rollerset. Well now that I am natural I know this. Wish I had saved my money and went natural years ago!

Here is a picture of me playing with my natural rollerset hair. A few weeks ago I rollerset and didn't flatiron, just put it in a ponytail. What I discovered was that if I don't flatiron my hair looks big, bouncy, just fabulous. I might not flatiron again. I do have a Ion Hairdryer, but I try to leave it on medium heat. Any spirals you see is just all natural, no flatiron involved.

By the way, excuse the no make-up and hobo hat LOL

This is the back of my hair after maybe 4 days. I put it up in a "pineapple" at night, in the morning I finger comb. Don't mind that thing I'm wearing, its not a bra ahahaha