NATURALS: ROLLERSETTING Challenge!!!!!!!

sheba1

Just gorgeous, BostonMaria! I wouldn't flat iron if my roller sets came out that silky and bouncy either! Have you thought of trying the silk wrap to smooth it? That leaves some of the curls but does smooth roots. I think I'll give that a go when it's time.

Mandy4610

Mandy4610, your rollerset hair is beautiful!!! BTW ladies, ANY hair type can rollerset. Well now that I am natural I know this. Wish I had saved my money and went natural years ago!

Here is a picture of me playing with my natural rollerset hair. A few weeks ago I rollerset and didn't flatiron, just put it in a ponytail. What I discovered was that if I don't flatiron my hair looks big, bouncy, just fabulous. I might not flatiron again. I do have a Ion Hairdryer, but I try to leave it on medium heat. Any spirals you see is just all natural, no flatiron involved.

By the way, excuse the no make-up and hobo hat LOL

This is the back of my hair after maybe 4 days. I put it up in a "pineapple" at night, in the morning I finger comb. Don't mind that thing I'm wearing, its not a bra ahahaha

Thanks for the compliment. Your hair is beautiful, Wow!

BostonMaria

Just gorgeous, BostonMaria! I wouldn't flat iron if my roller sets came out that silky and bouncy either! Have you thought of trying the silk wrap to smooth it? That leaves some of the curls but does smooth roots. I think I'll give that a go when it's time.

Thanks!
I bought the saran wrap about 2 years ago and have yet to try it :lachen:
But I have to rollerset tonight and tomorrow morning I will try the silk wrap and post a picture.

natstar

Everyone's results are looking great. I tried using various sized flexi rods last night. I like the results. I used Deva Care one condition as my leave in, some Elasta QP foam for setting, some Hairveda almond glaze for my ends and lots of water. I have some frizz in certain parts but overall Im pleased because the water and glaze helped keep most of my hair smooth on the rods. I have to keep practicing-esp for the roots. Also- i find that I like the small red rods the best. I get more definition.

My hair is really soft and shiny. I def will reuse the products that I used for this flexirod set!

I wish I could take pics but I have to get a new cam!

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I wish I could I join this challenge, but I can't because I'm doing the wig challenge.

However, I have a tip for you ladies. I rollerset my friend's relaxed hair this weekend and tried the idea below for the first time and it works. (I didn't remember to take pictures until after I'd removed the rollers. Next time I will.)

The tip: When using mesh rollers, use slip-in hair clips instead of the pins, which can be difficult to master. (Slip-in clips are the metals clips you usually use with magnetic rollers, see image.)

Note: Mesh rollers are great because the hair dries faster. It's important that the "mesh" is good quality. Sally's sells the best mesh rollers (IMO). They are covered with a stiff plastic-like material. The mesh rollers that I saw in the BSS were covered with a thread-like mesh that wasn't firm enough to keep the hair flat and smooth.

I need to look for this kind of roller :up: I have the clips.

BostonMaria

^^^^
Sometimes those clips can get hot under the dryer and burn my scalp. Or are hot as heck when I am taking off the rollers. If you don't like clips like me, another option is really long bobby pins. They grip really well and don't heat up under the dryer.

sheba1

Nice siggy, AtlantaJJ!

You might also want to try the mesh rollers that are featured here. They have shorter drying time.

mkd

For those of you using hard mesh rollers, why do you prefer them over the soft mesh. I use the soft mesh, my hair dresser used the hard red ones. I am really trying to avoid buying MORE rollers, but I will if the hard ones are much better.

AtlantaJJ

Nice siggy, AtlantaJJ!

You might also want to try the mesh rollers that are featured here. They have shorter drying time.
This is OT - I bought that dress in 1994 and I wore it on V-Tines day 2009. Just a little point of personal pride for an older person...:lol:

Thanks for the roller tip! :up:
ETA: Do they sell those at Sally's ??? I am so tempted to set my hair now, I have to wait until next weekend....

ETAA: I think I sweat too much for the silk wrap to work, but I will try it at least once...I just can see my self sweating up a storm under that dryer and in that plastic wrap....:hair:

Last edited:

Mandy4610

I need to look for this kind of roller :up: I have the clips.
Sally's has those rollers. They are reasonably priced too.

For those of you using hard mesh rollers, why do you prefer them over the soft mesh. I use the soft mesh, my hair dresser used the hard red ones. I am really trying to avoid buying MORE rollers, but I will if the hard ones are much better.
Could you please post some pix of hard mesh rollers and soft mesh rollers. I don't have a clue what the difference is.

Nice siggy, AtlantaJJ!

So are those rollers hard mesh or soft mesh. Do they pull/snug the hair and cause breakage? I wonder if they would work on my 4a/b hair.
I am still trying to find the perfect rollers. So far I am not completely satisfied and the trial process is getting expensive.

Any 4a/b ladies had success with mesh rollers?

bermudabeauty

I admit I am transitioning to natural but I do have some flexi-rods pics to show for inspiration.

My Avitar picture- put Hawaiian Silky 14-1 moisturizer and set hair dry with turqouise flexi-rods.

6.jpg magnetic rollers the small blue ones set while wet with lotta body setting lotion. I did pull the curls out

me11.jpgmagnetic rollers the small blue ones set while wet with lotta body setting lotion. I didn't pull the curls out.

Hope this helps

Anashja

These are really nice sets. My camera is dead and I need a new charger, but i've been roller setting... I've discovered I dont need to sleep over night w/ them... (thank you Lord, Im tenderheaded so I have to take tylenol almost everyday!) and I can just roll and sit with them under the dryer for 20 minutes in the morning...I've been using the Cocoshakiki (I know that is spelled wrong) oil I just got from Hairveda. Before that I used Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum or Chi silk... Im in the Growth Aid challenge so I havent really applied anything heavier to my hair besides these... I did use some grapeseed oil... leaves it light and fluffy...I am liking it. Im still "learning" my natural texture so its trial and error still...but hopefully by this summer I'll have this down. I've enjoyed this challenge :)

Mandy4610

Hello ladies, I made a rollersetting tutorial on Youtube and its on CurlyNikki.com's website. Please check it out if you still need help on how to do a rollerset. I hope I can help anyone with this video. Take care!

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/02/rollersetting-tutorial.html
Thanks for that tutorial BostonMaria. Very well done!

I admit I am transitioning to natural but I do have some flexi-rods pics to show for inspiration.

My Avitar picture- put Hawaiian Silky 14-1 moisturizer and set hair dry with turqouise flexi-rods.

View attachment 28059 magnetic rollers the small blue ones set while wet with lotta body setting lotion. I did pull the curls out

View attachment 28061magnetic rollers the small blue ones set while wet with lotta body setting lotion. I didn't pull the curls out.

Hope this helps
I think you set came out really nice. It is a bit hard to see though (pix are small), but what I see I like:grin:

These are really nice sets. My camera is dead and I need a new charger, but i've been roller setting... I've discovered I dont need to sleep over night w/ them... (thank you Lord, Im tenderheaded so I have to take tylenol almost everyday!) and I can just roll and sit with them under the dryer for 20 minutes in the morning...I've been using the Cocoshakiki (I know that is spelled wrong) oil I just got from Hairveda. Before that I used Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum or Chi silk... Im in the Growth Aid challenge so I havent really applied anything heavier to my hair besides these... I did use some grapeseed oil... leaves it light and fluffy...I am liking it. Im still "learning" my natural texture so its trial and error still...but hopefully by this summer I'll have this down. I've enjoyed this challenge :)
I am glad that you are enjoying the challenge. Can't wait to see pics.

Mandy4610

You ladies have been quiet. Are you still rollersetting?

I have been looking for bigger rollers the past week and so far I have not found anything that has worked.:wallbash:

I may have to try curlformers at some point.

Anashja

Im not there, yet. I am anticipating SL by the end of the summer... Im so excited.I think my nape is ALMOST (minus some CM). I like the roller sets right out of the shower, w/ just a thin layer of heat protectant...they come out the bounciest... Im still using sponge rollers...for me they work... maybe when Im longer...I'll upgrade to curlformers...

Mandy4610

Im not there, yet. I am anticipating SL by the end of the summer... Im so excited.I think my nape is ALMOST (minus some CM). I like the roller sets right out of the shower, w/ just a thin layer of heat protectant...they come out the bounciest... Im still using sponge rollers...for me they work... maybe when Im longer...I'll upgrade to curlformers...
At the risk of sounding ignorant...what are sponge rollers? Do you have a pic of them?

Essensual

I'm still! LOL! I just haven't figured out how to post pics within a post w/o Fotki and Piki.... I have never seen the "manage attachments" button.:wallbash:

I have been looking for bigger rollers the past week and so far I have not found anything that has worked.:wallbash:

BostonMaria

I rollerset once a week so that's why I've been quiet. Sometimes I just like to read what others are doing.

Why don't you try ordering them online?
I haven't tried culformers yet. I would hate to spend that much and then realize I hated them.

mkd

I am still roller setting too. I set my hair saturday and it came out so pretty. I got a new dryer and I love it! I didn't take any pictures, so I didn't post about my set because I know it would be worthless without pictures.

discodumpling

I tried the saran wrap method after my roller set today. The results were just OK but it's obvious to me that it will get better as my hair gains more health & length!

I like my roller set hair a bit more than my flat ironed hair. With the roller sets I still get texture and thickness...qualities that I like for my hair. Flat-ironed hair gives me just that...flat & ironed hair.

This last pic is flat ironed hair that I had to pin curl to have some kind of texture/wave/body...I might as well relax it....

oooop2

Hey..I'm not in this challenge but I've found these rollers to work well.

I use them when I am doing a Twist and Curl

Results

I get mine from the $1 store here in Japan, but here is a site that sells similar ones:

http://www.lockloops.com/

Mandy4610

I tried the saran wrap method after my roller set today. The results were just OK but it's obvious to me that it will get better as my hair gains more health & length!

I like my roller set hair a bit more than my flat ironed hair. With the roller sets I still get texture and thickness...qualities that I like for my hair. Flat-ironed hair gives me just that...flat & ironed hair.

This last pic is flat ironed hair that I had to pin curl to have some kind of texture/wave/body...I might as well relax it....
Your set came out really well. I too agree that as hair gets longer the sets get better and better.

Hey..I'm not in this challenge but I've found these rollers to work well.

I use them when I am doing a Twist and Curl

Results

I get mine from the $1 store here in Japan, but here is a site that sells similar ones:

http://www.lockloops.com/
WOW, now there is something new for me to try. Looks good!

rsmith

Hi ladies I did a rollerset on my mom's natural 3c hair. I thought I would share the outcome with you.