NATURALS: ROLLERSETTING Challenge!!!!!!!

Mandy4610

Is there a challenge like this already?

If not,.... anyone care to join me?

THE CHALLENGE IS FROM FEBRUARY 2nd TO MAY 2nd.

Guidelines for the challenge

1. Rollerset atleast twice a month....More if you are able to

2. Share your method, products used and result with the group
(you don't have to do this everytime you rollerset, but atleast
once a month).
3. You can use any kind of rollers, curlformers, flexirods etc

4. Share any resources for natural rollersetting that you have
(videos, articles etc)

Last edited:

Millahdoowop

Does it matter what kind of rollerset? I'll do it like once a month or something. What did you have in mind?

Carrie A

I may join but it can't be every week. Maybe once a month. But summertime- I'm retiring the rollerset.

Mandy4610

Hi ladies, it does not matter what kind of rollerset, but I was thinking of rollersetting twice a month or more.

How about that?

kblc06

I think I'll join in, I want to wear my hair out, but I'm contemplating just alternating rollersetting 2 weeks and wigging it (with braids sealed w/vaseline), the next 2 weeks

Mandy4610

These are not the ones I wanted to post...my current pics are taking forever to upload, but till then....

So, I prefer to wear my curls in a ponytail to keep my edges off my clothing... Oh, and these are flexi rodded. I cannot do the regular roller sets my hair comes out too full for my liking because my hair is so thick.

Click below!

Attachments

• 246766826885_0_0.jpg
    246766826885_0_0.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 246767210501_0_1.jpg
    246767210501_0_1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 246763831557_0_0.jpg
    246763831557_0_0.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 246766087557_0_0.jpg
    246766087557_0_0.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 120
I redo my sets every three days, when I cowash or poo & DC. My hair get's knotted up too fast and when I go to detangle it's so much breakage; so I keep them fresh although I like them better when they're a couple of days old...they fall beautifully into silky ringlets.

Okay I’m I the only one this enthused about this challenge:perplexedlol??? Well anyhow, here are the current pics I was referring to in my last post(s)…. Ok no more post from me till I see at least five others.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 247878592645_0_0.jpg
    247878592645_0_0.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 247878681733_0_0.jpg
    247878681733_0_0.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 247878722437_0_0.jpg
    247878722437_0_0.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 247878772101_0_0.jpg
    247878772101_0_0.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 96

chosen07

butting in a sec: question to the ladies who may have had a TWA. did you try using rollers on your shorter hair? this has been something I have been thinking about for 2 weeks now...just not sure if I go and actually buy the small curlers/rods if it will be a waste of money b/c my hair will be a hot mess...
but if I can get my hair to get around a curler- I'd definitely wanna join this challenge!

any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Libra08

I'm making a tutorial vid this weekend on how I do my ponytail rollersets so I'll post pics and the vid then.

jreagins

I'm in! I rollerset once a week!

2. Share your method, products used and result with the group
(you don't have to do this everytime you rollerset, but atleast
once a month).

I wash my hair (co-wash or clarify w/ baking soda)
Apply protien treatment (sometimes on dry hair)
Rinse
Apply Aussie Moist conditioner to detangle
Rinse
Apply GVP Conditioning Balm
DC (or steam treatment if needed) 20 minutes
Rinse
Apply leave-ins and serum
Rollerset with black & purple magnetic rollers
Sit under soft bonnet dryer for 2 hours

My hair came out really straight this past weekend so next weekend I'm attempting the Silk Wrap

Carrie A

I redo my sets every three days, when I cowash or poo & DC. My hair get's knotted up too fast and when I go to detangle it's so much breakage; so I keep them fresh although I like them better when they're a couple of days old...they fall beautifully into silky ringlets.

Your pics look really good.

Mystic

Hey Mandy!

Great challenge. I am SO in but it's going to be difficult for me to participate since I only check in here periodically. Also, I am thinking of braiding up my hair for convenience and time. Other than that, I will be doing this challenge every opportunity I get.

Mystic

You can use the very tiny rods with end paper. That works.

butting in a sec: question to the ladies who may have had a TWA. did you try using rollers on your shorter hair? this has been something I have been thinking about for 2 weeks now...just not sure if I go and actually buy the small curlers/rods if it will be a waste of money b/c my hair will be a hot mess...
but if I can get my hair to get around a curler- I'd definitely wanna join this challenge!

any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

AtlantaJJ

I'll lurk with ya'll on this one... I'll roller set every other month to check my ends but I'm in a hide my hair mode so I don't have a need to straighten my hair often. But when I do I will definitely do a roller set followed by a flat iron. So can I be an offical challenge lurker?? :grin:

Carrie A

A few things

1. OP Would you request this challenge be added to the sticky with all the 2009challenges. (Wheezy)
2. Challengers. How long do your rollersets stay? Do you use direct heat on your roots.
I am trying to avoid direct heat. The front roots are a little frizzy. I used a little almond glaze this morning. Anybody using Sabino moisture block.

ShaniKeys

Great challenge OP, too bad I can't join. I got my hair braided yesterday. Hopefully there will be a similar challenge after april.

sheba1

I just braided my hair last week, as well. I'm trying :rolleyes: to keep them in for a month. You'd think after two days of braiding I'd want to rock them for a while, but I just miss my hair. That's not something I was ever afflicted with before LHCF. I was one of those folks that could keep retouching and loving my braids for 4 months at a time! Sigh...

I'll lurk, for sure, though. Have you all seen CrownofHisGlory's roller set and silk wrap on youtube? GORGEOUS results. Here's the link I'm so in love with this vid that I made my bf watch it. :drunk: I'm SO trying this in April/May when I'd planned to straighten for the first time.

MJ

I wish I could I join this challenge, but I can't because I'm doing the wig challenge.

However, I have a tip for you ladies. I rollerset my friend's relaxed hair this weekend and tried the idea below for the first time and it works. (I didn't remember to take pictures until after I'd removed the rollers. Next time I will.)

The tip: When using mesh rollers, use slip-in hair clips instead of the pins, which can be difficult to master. (Slip-in clips are the metals clips you usually use with magnetic rollers, see image.)

Note: Mesh rollers are great because the hair dries faster. It's important that the "mesh" is good quality. Sally's sells the best mesh rollers (IMO). They are covered with a stiff plastic-like material. The mesh rollers that I saw in the BSS were covered with a thread-like mesh that wasn't firm enough to keep the hair flat and smooth.