KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Holding my spot

ETA details

Current hair length: Almost or right at waist length (Due to planned cut of 1-2 inches at the end of the month)
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: Currently none. Will experiment with the mohawk method. I do like perm rod sets though. I use various size rollers.
Current Setting products: APB leave in and Lotta Body setting spray
How long have you been setting?: Off and on for a few years.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Getting my roots straighter and finding a go to setting method.
How often do you plan to set?:Weekly until June, then will take the summer off and go back to setting in September.
Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required)

Last edited:

toaster

@flyygirlll2 @AgeinATL

I wonder if it's more strand texture than curl pattern. I have very defined curls, but my individual strands are thick and cottony. The only thing that will make them completely smooth is heat. High heat.

I know I can do better with my rolling tension to improve my results, but I'm also realistic. My thick strands are probably why I can retain length so well, so I won't get mad at them for not being silky smooth.

AgeinATL

Let's discuss: Why is she flat ironing the roots of her clients hair? They look straight enough to me. Am I missing something here?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNZxPJJApHp/

I also just realized that this lady is in Atlanta. I MAY have to go to her for a rollerset if the price is right. I feel like her method would be better for my type of hair than the Dominicans.

toaster

I also just realized that this lady is in Atlanta. I MAY have to go to her for a rollerset if the price is right. I feel like her method would be better for my type of hair than the Dominicans.
Definitely go! I'm convinced part of the struggle is setting on your own head. If you're doing someone else you can see what you're doing and get the right amount of tension.

AgeinATL

Definitely go! I'm convinced part of the struggle is setting on your own head. If you're doing someone else you can see what you're doing and get the right amount of tension.

:yep:
I was thinking the exact same thing. I am interested in her technique and what she uses to set the hair. I am due for a straightening and trim in January. I think I will give her a try and report back.

imaginary

Let's discuss: Why is she flat ironing the roots of her clients hair? They look straight enough to me. Am I missing something here?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNZxPJJApHp/

The roots definitely got straight enough, but I think she did it for extra insurance against humidity etc. The ends are easier to maintain than the roots with regards to reversion imho.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I don't get it either. All she had to do was wrap it! I agree with you @flyygirlll2. I think looser textures can get these results with just rollers. My hair ain't set up like that...

Exactly. I looked at the video then looked at my hair like nah, that ain't happening around these parts.

@toaster I agree. I have thick strands and some of it is coarse/wiry. High heat would get it really smooth but that's not something I want to subject my hair to constantly, even if my hair can tolerate it.

brownb83

Current hair length:
SL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd:
Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices:
Hard Rollers
Current Setting products:
Miss Jessies pillow soft curls and others TBD
ow long have you been setting?
off and on for a few years but i stopped one year ago. I'm going to start again
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
Length and health.
How often do you plan to set?:
twice a week
Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required)

Last edited:

brownb83

I
Here are pictures from last night's set. As you can see, I didn't roll roll pull so I couldn't get my hair taut on the roller. I only used its a 10 leave in, and when my hair was dry applied a literal pea size amount of serum. I think I was using way too much serum before and it was causing my hair to stick together. I will continue using the serum once my hair is dry. I put my hair into two bantu knots to further stretch my hair after the set.

Gourgeous!!!! where did you get your rollers?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Last edited:

AgeinATL

Thank you! I think the website I purchased my rollers from has closed down.

@MileHighDiva @AgeinATL where did you ladies purchase your halo rollers?

@brownb83
I got mine from studio techilo. For the month of November, she is having a sale, so if interested, you guys have until today to purchase. I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet, but according to her message on IG, it takes 3-5 business days for them to ship. I was going to order from naturalhairwow, but they were out of the pink.

AgeinATL

In case anyone is in Atlanta and curious about Salon Techillo prices:

A roller set is $50
A rollerset with a silkout is $65
A trim is $20
A steam treatment is $20

The prices aren't that bad actually. Some natural hair salons in Atlanta charge WAY more.

Dee-Licious

Current hair length: inch or two from APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: trying to figure out....
Current Setting products: trying to figure out...
How long have you been setting? over 10 years if you count when I was relaxed
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: stretching my hair without a blowdryer. I want to retain what I grow, and I cannot let my hair dry without being manipulated or I'll get SSKs
How often do you plan to set?: weekly or at least biweekly

imaginary

@toaster @tashboog @MileHighDiva or anyone, Can you remind me in what order do you apply products for a perm rod set. I'm natural. I'm going to try the Lottabody setting foam but I'm not sure how to use it. I used to use the ORS curl pudding but I want to try something different now.

I don't usually use setting lotions/foams, but what I do is to add my leave-ins to my entire head first and then apply water to individual smaller sections that go on the rod. I get a better and smoother set when my hair is soaking wet on the rod. So maybe in place of water you can add the mousse.

toaster

@toaster @tashboog @MileHighDiva or anyone, Can you remind me in what order do you apply products for a perm rod set. I'm natural. I'm going to try the Lottabody setting foam but I'm not sure how to use it. I used to use the ORS curl pudding but I want to try something different now.
@imaginary gave you good advice.

I apply a light leave in (nothing creamy or heavy, always water based, preferably in a spray bottle) all over. Then when I section my hair I douse it in water with a spray bottle and roll. If I was going to use a setting foam, this is when I would add it. On soaking wet hair sectioned for rolling.

Smiley79

Current hair length: NL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Naturalllll
Current Setting method and styling choices: Perm rods
Current Setting products: ORS Hair Pudding/Will try Lottabody setting foam
How long have you been setting? Inconsistent/It's been a long time since I last did
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Smoothness; definition througout my whole head. My crown area tends to frizz out real quick and not hold as much definition. Meanwhile my front and nape area is always perfect.
How often do you plan to set?: Undecided
Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required): My avi pic

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I would really like to set my hair and I have so many rollers at home but it's intimidating!!! Flexirods are so hard to use and my hair is so fuzzy without gel that I doubt I will ever be able to get a nice set! I like creeping on y'alls posts though lol maybe I will join y'all once I get up the nerve.