toaster

@tashboog I have the stand up Pibbs 514 I believe? Let me double check on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Pibbs-1100W-Salon-Dryer-Casters/dp/B0012TP5EO

Wow, Amazon says I've had my dryer since January 2014. It's still going strong!

I use the it's a 10 leave in which is also a heat protectant, but I use it for its leave in qualities and not because I'm nervous about the I direct heat.

@coilyhaircutie

I use a blensblend hair bonnet. I love it. I can wash it in the washing machine and hang to dry which I should do more often. I actually ordered a new one on black Friday because I've had my bonnet for years. It has an elastic that you tie to fit your head. I haven't had to tie mine since I originally tied it.

http://blensblend.com/

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I bought the same one that Toaster posted. It is the Kwik Dri model. I have had mine for about 6 years and it works like I just got it. It still heats up quickly, still dries evenly, and still gets nice and hot.
I've done some research and so far the Pibbs is the best. I will start saving up for the Pibbs. I won't be doing my sets until next year since I'm still in twist. For now I will use my curlformers to set my hair. Thank you ladies for all of your help :supergrin:.

toaster

I made a hair appointment! I haven't let anyone else wash my hair since I was in college and I've let maybe 2 stylists blow dry and flat iron in the past 5 years.

I'm getting a roller set and the root flat ironed on December 30. I will obviously post pictures and probably live post from the salon. I was assured that the salon and stylist are familiar with natural hair and they have good yelp reviews.

AgeinATL

I made a hair appointment! I haven't let anyone else wash my hair since I was in college and I've let maybe 2 stylists blow dry and flat iron in the past 5 years.

I'm getting a roller set and the root flat ironed on December 30. I will obviously post pictures and probably live post from the salon. I was assured that the salon and stylist are familiar with natural hair and they have good yelp reviews.

I'm excited to see the pictures and hear how things went!

PlainJane

Current hair length:

APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd:
Natural...finally all natural
Current Setting method and styling choices:
Curlformers
Current Setting products:
I've been changing it up. I haven't found holy grail setting products yet
How long have you been setting?
I just started last year
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
Finding products that work and investing in a good hair dryer
How often do you plan to set?:
Every other wash day/every other week
Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required)

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hey y'all. I'll take a bite for '17. My hair needs this.

Current hair length: Scraping BSL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed, 9 months into a 1yr stretch
Current Setting method and styling choices: Currently mesh rollers, flexi rods on rare occasion
Current Setting products: Keracare silken seal and sometimes heavily diluted lottabody
How long have you been setting? Off and on for years.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I really hope this challenge will make me a consistent setter :yep:
How often do you plan to set?: every 1-2 weeks
Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required) I'll post a pic after my set tonight

ETA: starting photo. This was Redken antisnap and keracare silken seal, I used a bit of the serum and shine spray version. The spray on wet hair its gives majorrr slip which I need with 4" of NG. I also used orange blossom water to saturate my hair. Don't let my hair's natural curl pattern fool you, it's coarse/wiry.

I could have flat ironed my roots but..eh... :yawn: I used mesh rollers.

Attachments

• rollerset 031216.jpg
    rollerset 031216.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

sharifeh

I'm joining this but I'm nervous, I havent set my hair since I was relaxed. Curious to see if it will work with my type of natural hair, my hair is pretty tight in the back. I still have no clue what type of rollers to use.
I do need combs for setting, any recommendations?

Current hair length: APLish
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: natural, with heat damage in the front
Current Setting method and styling choices: not sure yet
Current Setting products: not sure yet
How long have you been setting? i used to set as a relaxed head, ive never done it since being natural
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: learning how to set my own hair at home
How often do you plan to set?: once every two weeks
Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required)

SuchaLady

Current hair length: More than BSL, Less than MBL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: Magnetic Rollers with the cap. Those metal clips made me give up rolling completely :lol: Bun after the rollers are removed. I dont really plan to wear it down or curly. I will be setting for straightness.
Current Setting products: I havent chosen any as of yet.
How long have you been setting? Here and there since college.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: No more airdrying. I no longer process my relaxed hair straight so airdrying was leaving my hair looking like I didnt love myself.
How often do you plan to set?: Once a week/week and a half/possibly two.
Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required) Will attach later.

Last edited:

SuchaLady

If I could get her results, Id be A-OK with making this my go to styling method. She didnt even do anything special :lol: She just got it really smooth before rolling but idk about all that brushing. What do yall think? I noticed from the last thread alot of you stated you didnt go the fine tooth comb route that setters usually use.

toaster

@sharifeh I use seamless combs that I've had forever so I can't remember where I purchased them. One is wide tooth and one is medium tooth. I don't usually use a fine tooth comb although I'm sure that helps with getting a super smooth set. I'm trying to find a balance between smooth hair and having hair on my head, so the medium width comb works for me.

@SuchaLady this response is for you too! If I have a special occasion or I'm getting my hair done once every six or so months I don't mind the excessive smoothing and fine tooth combs. My hair can handle that on a very infrequent basis. I can't do that every week because I don't want breakage. It just depends on what your hair can handle.

faithVA

If I could get her results, Id be A-OK with making this my go to styling method. She didnt even do anything special :lol: She just got it really smooth before rolling but idk about all that brushing. What do yall think? I noticed from the last thread alot of you stated you didnt go the fine tooth comb route that setters usually use.

I use a fine tooth comb and I'm a 4b. As long as my hair is moisturized and I'm working in small sections it's fine.

Eta: That was supposed to say I use not Just use :ohwell:

Last edited:

toaster

I'm under the dryer now. I used the pins to hold my rollers but for most of them I used them in my own fashion. I started inside the roller and just wove it underneath the roller on one side so it caught the hair at my scalp and poked it back up through the other side. My rollers feel taut for the most part and I only had to use clips for the very first roller in my Mohawk. I'll keep practicing but for the most part I'm satisfied, no strands getting stuck on the clips.

20161204_170108.jpg 20161204_170041.jpg

toaster

I'm going have to go buy the It's s 10 leave in or the generic version at Sally's. I think I'll take out my twist this weekend and attempt a set. Not sure if I will try a roller set or curlformer set.
Definitely let me know how it works! It seems people on the board either love it or hate it. If you have an ulta around you they sell it and allow returns if you don't like something.

coilyhaircutie

Loving all these new sets for the new 2017 thread! Gorgeous hair ladies.

I covered two of my sock buns in a silk fabric I had laying around. Now they'll be better for my winter protective styles, which is one of my 2017 hair goals. Since taking MSM (in powder form) for 10 days now, I haven't noticed the crazy 1 and 2 inch "growth spurt" that everyone raves about LOL. I did notice that on my last wash this Sunday, I shed half the hair that I usually shed. I also didn't lose much hair while detangling afterwards. So that was a pleasant surprise. I'll keep you all posted. I'm just taking a 1/4 teaspoon a day, I plan to eventually scale up to 1 teaspoon a day (1 tsp is the suggested serving size). I hear some ladies get breakouts when they take too much MSM all at once, so I want to avoid that.

Evolving78

I have a million rollers in my head right now! Hopefully I can sit under the dryer for 20 mins. I set my hair earlier this morning.

I didn't wash in sections, so I rinsed in the shower (straight back)I used Cantu calm detangler and some One n Only Arian oil to detangle my hair.
I used two pumps of Soft and Beautiful wrap foam.
I rolled going forward and up. I did this so my roots would be straighter. I'm 8 weeks post.

I just keep spraying my hair with water to keep the hair wet.
I took my sweet precious time, so it was an hour to set.

NJ11

I haven't really explored doing roller sets but want to - particularly if they help as @Beany said with SSKs - so I will jump in and use this thread for ideas/help/encouragement!

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices: none - though I have done a couple of curlformer sets some time ago.

Current Setting products: none - thought I know I have a foam from Jane Carter but I haven't used it yet (that I remember).

How long have you been setting? I haven't, really.

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: learning, getting good, smooth/consistent sets. For instance, of my two curlformer sets - the first one came out beautiful/magical! :gorgeous:; the second one, which was done some time later, was a big Whomp Whomp :hair:. I think I followed the same protocol with the same products for each so, yeah...I have no consistency at this time.

How often do you plan to set?: I want to get good so I'm thinking once a week (style for church?), but I need to up (or rather, re-start :oops:) working out so I don't know how I will juggle the two and may need to adjust/experiment as I go along