MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I would really like to set my hair and I have so many rollers at home but it's intimidating!!! Flexirods are so hard to use and my hair is so fuzzy without gel that I doubt I will ever be able to get a nice set! I like creeping on y'alls posts though lol maybe I will join y'all once I get up the nerve.
You should take setting for a whirl! You'll have tons of support, :yep:

faithVA

I would really like to set my hair and I have so many rollers at home but it's intimidating!!! Flexirods are so hard to use and my hair is so fuzzy without gel that I doubt I will ever be able to get a nice set! I like creeping on y'alls posts though lol maybe I will join y'all once I get up the nerve.
Your hair is smoother than mine. I know you can get a nice set. You may just need 5o find the right roller type for your hair. Flexi rods can take a some practice to get a nice set. I use curlformers for setting and flexi rods to hold the set.

Evolving78

I want to try that Lottabody wrap foam lotion. I using put setting lotion, or foam all over, then just spray with water if my hair starts to dry. I usually get a soft hold. I'm trying to decide if I want to set my hair today, or blow dry, curl, then just maintain by rolling at night.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Your hair is smoother than mine. I know you can get a nice set. You may just need 5o find the right roller type for your hair. Flexi rods can take a some practice to get a nice set. I use curlformers for setting and flexi rods to hold the set.

I would like to try curlformers they seem very easy to use! Maybe I could try this. They are very expensive, maybe I can make them a bday to myself since my birthday is coming up lol

@whiteoleander91 Even if your set isn't perfect, it's a great way to stretch hair for other styles!

I'm not sure I could do a flexi rod set on wet hair either, but magnetic rollers or perm rods are pretty easy.

I have perm rods that I purchased some months ago but as soon as I got them in the mail I felt discouraged lol. I want to do a blowout this weekend but maybe I can finally try my perm rods instead. I will check out some YouTube vids and try to psych myself up lol

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I would like to try curlformers they seem very easy to use! Maybe I could try this. They are very expensive, maybe I can make them a bday to myself since my birthday is coming up lol
@whiteoleander91 curlformers are easy once you master how to install them. I use small sections cuz it helps to get my roots straighter. My roller sets are terrible but my curlformers set turn out good most of the time. I use them to stretch my hair then style from there.

You can order the generic curlformers which are cheaper. I've bought some on eBay for $25 and I can't tell the difference between my real curlformers and the generics.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I really would like to get my magnetic roller sets to turn out better. Usually my hair is super frizzy no matter what products I use. I think it's mainly cuz my hair is high porosity. I need to figure out a roller set routine for my high po hair besides using my curlformers. Maybe I need different rollers but that may not help either :giggle:. If any of you ladies have any suggestions please let me know.

toaster

I really would like to get my magnetic roller sets to turn out better. Usually my hair is super frizzy no matter what products I use. I think it's mainly cuz my hair is high porosity. I need to figure out a roller set routine for my high po hair besides using my curlformers. Maybe I need different rollers but that may not help either :giggle:. If any of you ladies have any suggestions please let me know.

I don't think I'm high porosity, but if you're trying to figure out what to set with I would start with a spray leave in and a spray bottle with just water. Wet hair and the right tension will smooth your hair. It may not be flat iron smooth and it may not last as long as if you used a setting product, but it will work.

Once you have your technique down you can experiment with products.

I think going in that order will save you from frustration.

Hopefully the other ladies can chime in!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I don't think I'm high porosity, but if you're trying to figure out what to set with I would start with a spray leave in and a spray bottle with just water. Wet hair and the right tension will smooth your hair. It may not be flat iron smooth and it may not last as long as if you used a setting product, but it will work.

Thanks for your advice. I think that's a great starting point. I have a lot of products to experiment with once I get my technique down :lol:.

AgeinATL

I agree. For me and my coils, it is all about using the right amount of tension. That is why I use the roll-roll-pull method. I also suggest sitting under a hooded dryer to minimize frizz. Airdrying a rollerset doesn't give the same results, in my opinion. I believe that it is because as the hair dries, the hair will start to 'unravel' from the roller. The quicker you dry the hair in a taut state, the less likely it is to frizz, unravel, or get puffy.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
@toaster, @AgeinATL what dryer are you using? I'm looking at Babyliss pro ionic rollout hard hat dryer. Are you familiar with this dryer? Do you think it'll be worth the money? If anyone else has knowledge about this dryer please add your input as well. As well as any other good hard hat dryers because my soft bonnet has died :wallbash:. So I'm looking to invest in a new one soon.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
@tashboog I use a Pibbs dryer but I think the LCL/ salons r us dryer gets great reviews.

http://www.lclbeauty.com/1200-watt-professional-hair-dryer-on-wheels/

I would definitely encourage you to get a stand up dryer that rolls around and is powerful. If you're going to set with any frequency you'll be so happy your hair is drying faster.
Thank you @toaster :grin:. I definitely like that dryer. I bought a standing steamer from that site so I feel comfortable buying from them again. I think the price is pretty good for a roll out dryer. I will definitely get my money's worth if I buy it :yep:.

faithVA

I have perm rods that I purchased some months ago but as soon as I got them in the mail I felt discouraged lol. I want to do a blowout this weekend but maybe I can finally try my perm rods instead. I will check out some YouTube vids and try to psych myself up lol

You can always buy 1 pack of curlformers when you can catch a sale at Sally's and just try it out one 1 section to see how they come out. That way you know whether you want to invest in a set.

And with the perm rods you can always blow your hair out and then use the perm rods. That way you can stretch your roots and then get a better stretch with the perm rods.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
You can always buy 1 pack of curlformers when you can catch a sale at Sally's and just try it out one 1 section to see how they come out. That way you know whether you want to invest in a set.

And with the perm rods you can always blow your hair out and then use the perm rods. That way you can stretch your roots and then get a better stretch with the perm rods.

These are awesome tips thank you so much!! I really like the idea of getting a "sample" size of the curlformers, that is a great idea!! I will try them out first and then I can have a better idea of how many I will need and the length/size. And I was planning on blowing out my hair this weekend anyway, so maybe that is the way I should go with the perm rods. I like blowouts but my ends are usually frizzy and bushy so the perm rods might be able to solve that without me having to flatiron afterwards. Thanks again!!

AgeinATL

@toaster, @AgeinATL what dryer are you using? I'm looking at Babyliss pro ionic rollout hard hat dryer. Are you familiar with this dryer? Do you think it'll be worth the money? If anyone else has knowledge about this dryer please add your input as well. As well as any other good hard hat dryers because my soft bonnet has died :wallbash:. So I'm looking to invest in a new one soon.

I have a Pibbs and it is worth every penny. I actually had the babyliss dryer that you mentioned. Operative word being HAD.

It does the job but not very well. It doesn't dry the hair evenly so I would be under the dryer for over 2 hours and parts of my hair would still be damp while other sections were crispy dry. It doesn't get that hot, so you will be under there a while if you have dense hair. After a couple of months, I decided to bite the bullet and order a pibbs. No regrets. It dries the hair quickly and most importantly, evenly.

I think those that don't have a ton of hair could work with the dryer but if you have high density hair, be prepared for long drying times and possibly areas that aren't completely dry. Like @toaster said, if you are looking to set often, that could be annoying and a deterrent.

HTH!

coilyhaircutie

Thanks so much for starting @toaster !

Current hair length: I intend to claim Hip Length this year! I trimmed an inch off this past weekend, so my hair's grazing MBL.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd:
Naturally beautiful, baby. ;)

Current Setting method and styling choices:
I simplified my setting regimen which has made life beautiful. I flat twist my roots, then put a perm-rod roller on the last 6 inches or so of hair. I don't twist the sections where I apply the rollers. I usually do about 10 twists on wash day.

I used to do a whole head of curlformers every week. whew! Now that was work. Those curlformers are now collecting dust, waiting to be used for a special occasion.

Current Hair + Setting products:

DC: mixture of 100% aloe vera gel, Silicon Mix, Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner, and Joico Moisture Recovery. I mix all of those ingredients together in a little plastic tub, then slather it on my hair. I DC under my trusty Andis dryer for 30 minutes, then rinse and wash out with my cleanser.

Cleanser: 2 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar (ACV)

Setting products: water, 100% aloe vera gel, Oyin hair dew leave-in conditioner

Midweek moisturizer: Camille Rose + my homemade henna tea

How long have you been setting? I started on January 1, 2014. I remember because it was a new years resolution that year.

Goals you intend to achieve:

#1 - I intend to be hip length in 2017.
#2 - I intend to love my hair fully, 100% for who she is and not to compare her to other people's hair.
#3 - I intend to find and learn how to do 3 new protective styles for work this winter, so I can have variety.
#4 - I intend to keep up my health regimen, which I started last month: working out at least 3 times a week, drinking bone broth soup in the mornings, and eating one salad a day. I feel like a new woman now that I've started these things - my family, friends and even coworkers have commented that my skin has improved and that I have much more energy. My complexion is more even, and I don't have acne anymore. I also started taking MSM orally this week - I'll be sure to report back how that affects my hair growth.
#5 - When I am hip length, I will blow dry my hair straight or do curlformers. Until then, I'll be rocking the curls.

How you plan to set:
I plan to set after every wash. This may be once a week in the summer, and most likely twice a week in the winter months.

Post a beginning picture (encouraged but not required):
Coming soon!

Dee-Licious

These are awesome tips thank you so much!! I really like the idea of getting a "sample" size of the curlformers, that is a great idea!! I will try them out first and then I can have a better idea of how many I will need and the length/size. And I was planning on blowing out my hair this weekend anyway, so maybe that is the way I should go with the perm rods. I like blowouts but my ends are usually frizzy and bushy so the perm rods might be able to solve that without me having to flatiron afterwards. Thanks again!!
Go on eBay and get them straight from china much cheaper.

bluenvy

I notice when my hair is not soaking wet, my sets turn out frizzy.

For me to have frizz free sets, my hair must be soaking wet. Keep my water spray bottle and drench the heck out of my head just before sectioning off.
I usually have to drench again once I get a few rollers in.

bluenvy

I'm joining too!

Current hair length: Beyond Bsl
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: I set with magnetic rollers. Once my hair is dry I either wrap it, or do one high Bantu knot
Current Setting products: Darcy's leave in, or Edens leave in, Organix coconut serum, Elasta Qp design foam
How long have you been setting? 1 year
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Smoother sets and thick ends. My ends Becomes frail a few months after trims.
How often do you plan to set?: biweekly

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I have a Pibbs and it is worth every penny. I actually had the babyliss dryer that you mentioned. Operative word being HAD.

It does the job but not very well. It doesn't dry the hair evenly so I would be under the dryer for over 2 hours and parts of my hair would still be damp while other sections were crispy dry. It doesn't get that hot, so you will be under there a while if you have dense hair. After a couple of months, I decided to bite the bullet and order a pibbs. No regrets. It dries the hair quickly and most importantly, evenly.

I think those that don't have a ton of hair could work with the dryer but if you have high density hair, be prepared for long drying times and possibly areas that aren't completely dry. Like @toaster said, if you are looking to set often, that could be annoying and a deterrent.

HTH!
@AgeinATL What Pibbs model did you purchase? I know they are expensive but like you said it's worth every penny.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram

coilyhaircutie

Ladies — what head scarf or bonnet do you wear at night to protect your hair? Could you send me links of what brand you buy?

I need a new headscarf. My hair's getting too long/puffy for my current scarf and I need to protect my ends.