THE BRAID IT UP 2011 CHALLENGE -anyone?

Legally Natural

I would like to join this challenge.

-Why are you joining the challenge?
Well, I already wear my hair in braids all the time anyway, so I thought I might as well have the support system as well. I am in law school, so having braids makes my life A LOT easier even though it's not always the most exciting thing in the world sometimes.

-current length
My current length is APL (or a little past it). Might change with end of the year trim.

-goal length
My goal length with this challenge is to touch MBL by the end of 2011. My ultimate goal is full MBL by spring 2012 (graduation from law school).

-what your regimen will be
I will pretty much do what I currently do now.

Winter/Spring:
- co-wash 2 times a week,
-wash once a week/ w DC (protein when needed)
-moisturize and seal daily
- applying Bee Mine Serum (new-part of sulfur challenge 2011)

Summer/Fall:
-co-wash daily
-wash once a week/ w DC (protein when needed)
-moisturize and seal daily
- applying Bee Mine Serum (new-part of sulfur challenge 2011)

I rebraid my hair when I have time, normally once a month. When I feel my hair really needs it, I will take all my braids down, give my hair some love, and then rebraid from scratch.

-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing
I wear my own hair in braids.

-your start date
January 2011

Starting flat iron pic below. I will add my starting braid pic in January

Attachments

• LHCF 2010.jpg
    LHCF 2010.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

bibirockz

I'll join! This goes perfectly with my other challenges sooo...y not! :grin:but I am warning yall I am notorious for falling off a challenge half way thru so I post alot to keep myself accountable... so don't have me in here talkin to myself! :spinning:

current length- CBL/SL (idk Im transiting currently 16 months post and I dont do lengt checks with heat ... like ever )

goal length Idk... for 2011 I better make APL but if it grows longer I aint gonna be mad! lol

Girl you're too funny! Don't worry you will not be talking to yourself!

Whohoo! *subscribing*
I'll be cheering you ladies on from the sidelines!

MzSwift I just stalked your fotki :look: since you're in braids most of the time, why dont u join the challenge :grin:?

ladysaraii

I'll join. I plan on being in braids for the entire winter, and if that works out, I'll do it the entire year

sxyblackgem

Hey Ladies, I would also like to join this challenge.

-why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it. I'm joining this challenge because I want my hair to be healthy and to retain growth. I also want to keep my hands out my hair :yep:
-current length Well I bigchopped on 5/31/10 and I believe that I am around cbl / sl
-goal length: I would love to be at APL or BSL by Dec 2011.
-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful (which is why I posted the crown & glory link up there ^^^) Well, I just started using a mix of megatek, jojoba oil and jbco on my scalp. I will be oiling my scalp with that mixture maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Soon I will be incorporating sublimed sulfur into the mix, I think. Co-wash 2 or 3 times a week. Deep condition once a week. Shampoo every two weeks or when I feel that its needed. Moisturize daily. Hair will be braided for 6 - 8 weeks at a time.
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing: Individual braids, cornrows and twists, no extensions added. I would like to try wearing a LF wig sometime next year. It will be my first wig, I can't wait. :lick:
-your start date: I've already started. I braided my hair on November 20 and I'm taking it out a litte before New Years, because I want a fresh set of braids to bring in the New Years.
-you can do before & after pics if you want, but this is optional.

yeahisaidit

Can I join too?!

Why you are joining the challenge?
I'm joining the challenge so I have a reason NOT to put a perm in my hair.

Current Length?
TWA

Goal length?
In 12 months, chin to shoulder length stretched. (I'm tall with a long neck)

What will your reggie be?
Baggy every night, rest 1-2 weeks, shampoo and condition every two weeks, re-do braids around edges every two-three weeks

What type of braids/braiding you will be doing?
It varies. Micro braids. Box braids, hair braided into a ponytail

Start Date?
I've been in braids since October, so I guess I'm starting now.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I'm joining this challenge. I'll post a pic at the end of december. I plan to take out my current install Dec 18, so before I have them redone I will do a length check.

*Why are you joining the challenge? I've already started on my personal braid challenge so I joined this for encouragement.*Current length? APL *ARGH* I've been stuck at this length for about 18mos, I am desparate to move past this length!*Goal length? MBL by the end of this challenge. I'm going hard!!!
*What will your regimen will be? I'm going to wash and steam treatment once a week. Hot oil treatment once a week. Use a water mixture of Infusium23 everyday.*What type of braids/braiding you will be doing? Extension, natural individual, cornrows.*Your start date?
Now since I'm already in braids.

Sweet_Ambrosia

~Joining~

-why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it
*To retain the maximum while doing the very minimum

-current length
*MBL

-goal length
*WL then eventually HL sometime in 2011

-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful*

*I plan to keep my hair twisted up for 2 months at a time (redoing them once a week or every other week), during the 2 months I will alternate between covering my twists up with half wigs and leaving them bare as is. Then break for 2 weeks by wearing my hair in buns/updo’s or an ‘out’ style. All while sticking with my basic regimen of moisturizing/sealing, co-washing, dc’ing etc..

*Braid Extensions for now, then primarily Two-Strand Twists w/o extensions

-your start date
*Now, since I just installed my braids last week

ladysaraii

Forgot to add my info

why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it. : I'm doing the challenge so I can protect my current length & get past SL.
-current length: brushing APL
-goal length: WL
-what your regimen will be: washing hair in braids once or twice a week, moisturizing and sealing daily w/ my spray of AVG, braid spray, and Infusium 23
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing: I will be doing individuals and cornrows/flat twists
-your start date: already started

Luvmycurl

Joining! My 1st challenge on lhcf so excited!:grin:

why you are joining the challenge
* Joining the challenge to keep my hands out of my hair,use minimum heat through out the year and I just chopped off my relaxed ends so I would like to have as much length as possible.
-current length
*Ear Length stretched
-goal length
*Collar bone Length stretched
-what your regimen will be
*Cowash every 3 days
*Shampoo every 2 weeks with diluted tea tree shampoo and dc when needed
*Moisturize and seal with braid spray
*Hot oil treatments if necessary
*Resting period in between extensions I will wear wigs
*Trim every three months
*box braids with extentsion,cornrows undeneath different wigs and senegalese twist
-your start date
*12/31

Attachments

• natural.zip
    139.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

ClassyDiva

@Ladybelle

Sign me up. U plan on getting senegelese and micro braiding for the winter/spring season.... then go back to senegelese for the remainder if the year.
Joining challenge to gain growth.
Current Length: NL
Short Term Goal: SL
Long Term Goal: WL
Regimen: Wash every to month while hair is senegelesed. NO WASHING WITH MICROS(sprits in to stay but conditioned out)
START: Dec. 31st 2010
END: Dec. 31st 2011

Sent from my DROID2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

ycj1

I want to join.

Why are you joining this challenge To achieve and maintain length along with my natural hair health, also to keep my hands out of my head.

Current length well I did another bc in Oct down to 4 inches and I actually have been in braids since Oct 2009 continuously with only one three week break. Otherwise I normally redo them after 2 days of them being out. So my current length is about 5-6 inches all around

Goal length is MBL full

What is yr regimen I am using the Crown and Glory method with some small modifications. I also baggy every night and wash every other week and mist my scalp with avocado mist and braid spray along with some Infusium 23. I do oil my scalp just about every night with Castor Oil, wheter it's JBCO or the regular one. I use a sulfur mix with oil as well greasing my scalp which is extremely dry. I think that's bc I am a insulin dependent diabetic tho.

What type of braids I only put in the yarn braids. Very easy and supple making it easy for me to style or put up.

Start date Already in effect but for the sake of this challenge I will say Oct 2010

I don't know how to master pics fm my cell

ezina

So, I'd like to drop out of the hair challenge. I haven't had the time to braid my hair at all since the challenge started.

Last edited:

lili411

Why you are joining the challenge? To finally pass APL! I recently had an epiphany - the reason I was braided up but still not retaining length is because at my salon, the braiders insist on "cleaning the braids" with VERY dull scissors before putting them in hot water. I let them do that to me and then I wonder why I have so many split ends :perplexed

Current length? Shoulder length

Goal Length? APL by end of the challenge...maybe more, God willing! :lachen:

What your regimen will be : While in extension braids - moisturize daily and seal with castor oil. MN on scalp nightly. Use infusium 23 weekly. Clean scalp with witch hazel weekly. After take down - wash, DC, henna and twists for 1 month and then braid it all up again!

What type of braids/braiding you will be doing? medium sized braids with extensions

Your start date? Now! I'm already braided up :grin::grin:

Ozma

Please count me in:

-why you are joining the challenge -Braids and twists are the only no-manipulation style that really works for me- I need to keep my hands out of my hair
-current length- Chin Length
-goal length - APL
-regimen- clean scalp weekly with witch hazel, wash monthly, dc, leave in, seal, bun for a week, then repeat braids/twists for a month
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing- flat twists, french braids, cornrows
-start date- 1/01/11

jalen0216

I would like to join I did my BC in June which was a boy fade because the guy who cut my hair was trying to trim my afro and he forgot to put on the guide: I left in tears my four month transition was gone and at the time of my BC I was APL.

Why you are joining the challenge? I'm joining so I can try and retain all the length in 2011.

Current length? TWA = 3" of hair in November so I got 1/2 a month growth with being anemic with a hemoglobin of 5.1. My anemia is all corrected with 3 units of blood and surgery (farewell menstural cycle). Happy growing!!

Goal length? Near NL/SL in some areas of my head

What your regimen? Wash once a week in the shower with dilute shampoo & conditioner. I will be using aloe juice and jojoba oil mixed with my braid spray twice a day. I will rest my hair for 1-2 weeks between my braid installs.

What type of braids? Kinky Twists for 2-3 months

My start date? November 29, 2010

2tonzafun

I'm alll inn!! It's going to take me a lot to stay committed to this because I am lazy but like to see my hair in a lot of different styles and I like to play in my hair. To appease myself I'm going to wig and weave it up and in 2011 invest in some great weave from AAMH.

-why you are joining the challenge -My hair grows very well when braided. I need to let go of heat and stay out of my hair. I touch my hair all the time and it breaks off bad because of that. I also want to give life back to my hair. It is damaged, broken, and in all around poor condition. This will keep me from reverting back to relaxed and colored treated hair. Also, I'm working out a lot more so braids are the best option.
-current length- short--not sure how to describe it.
-goal length - BSL
-regimen- Deep Moisture Method/Vitamins/Exercise/Mega-Tek and JBCO and other oils. I'm new to this LHCF so I'm trying my regimen out as I go. Reading a lot and learning a lot as I start this journey over again.
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing- cornrows most likely all the time so I can wig/weave it up.
-start date- 1/01/11

Last edited:

NEWYORK20004

why you are joining the challenge - to give myself a break, prevent texturizing my hair and to reach waistlength
-current length- bsb
-goal length - wsl
-regimen- whatever my hair needs, but will shampoo 1-2x a week and oil my scalp every other day
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing- loc exstensions/wig
-start date- 1/01/11

aa9746

-why you are joining the challenge -It works
-current length- bsl
-goal length- wl
-what your regimen will be- wash, condition, moisturize, and seal
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing - cornrows under my wig
-your start date- Jan.1
-you can do before & after pics if you want, but this is optional.-starting pic. -in my siggy

Ladybelle

I know I need to update the challenger list & I promise I will before the end of the month.
Thanks for joining ladies!!!

I'm going to get my install Wed or Thursday - I'm doing long kinky twist the first go round.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can hold ourselves & each other
accountable???? I want this thread/challenge to last & work for everyone.

CurliDiva

Hey, I want to JOIN!

why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it. My Hair will be corn-rowed all year under my wig anyway, so I might as all join the braid it up challenge.
-current length (APL - yes I'm finally claiming it!)
- goal length (As long as it wants to be)
-what your regimen:

I will cornrow my hair super flat (every 4-6 weeks) to wear under my full lace wig. Remove wig to wash and deep con my hair while in the braids every Sun and Wed (2x weekly). My braids can get fuzzy because no one but me will see them. Re-braid one plait at a time (never having the whole hair loose except for when doing a protien treatment. Moisturize (using up my products) and seal as needed.

Cornrow with small amount of extension hair to braid pass my ends (which tends to curl up) to kee them flat and protected.

-your start date

Already wearing cornrows will re-do, as needed.

Damaged but not out

Subscribing, when I join things i jinx it.

-why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it - I noticed my hair breaking today, meaning i've been neglecting my routine. I need to put some order back into my regimen.

-current length
5 inches all around

-goal length
Whatever 2011 gives me.

-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful*
Deep conditioning weekly, with oil rinses and scalp massages during take-downs. Using the C&G method, its simple and it works.

Braids or twists, with and without extensions( depending on the budget).

-your start date
I'm finishing off some braids right now.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I guess I should join this since I'm in the Hide your Hair challenge already, this will be a good way of keeping me accountable. Whoo Lord help me!!! I'll post my starting pic by next week, still have to decide what kind of braids to install.