THE BRAID IT UP 2011 CHALLENGE -anyone?

motherpopcorn562

I want to join. I'm in a weight loss challenge and I just can't focus on two things at once lol. So hair will be taking a backseat. I just installed some semi - Kinki- Twist . My Hubby loves it !:grin:

why you are joining the challenge -
I'm doing the challenge because I am focused on weight loss in 2011!!!!
:lol:
-current length: APL
-goal length: BSL
-what your regimen will:
Braid monthly- Most likely big plaits because thats the fastest thing I can do
Wash weekly
Hot oil treatment before washing
tea tree on scalp
Moisturize with glycerin mix
and thats it!

-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing:
I use the marley braid for kinky twist ( sort of) I'd like to learn how to do crochets but I dont know seems hard
-your start date:
today. I am wearing braids now.

Attachments

• Photo-0114.jpeg
    Photo-0114.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

ms.swayne

I'm in!!:grin:
why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it. :
I'm doing the challenge bc I'm transitioning and I've had some breakage in my crown and i would like to retain all my growth
-current length: APL with 4-5in of new growth (51 weeks post relaxer)
-goal length: APL natural
-what your regimen will:
I plan to keep my hair in braids 4 to 5 weeks at a time, wash & deep condition weekly, and 1 week rest breaks between take out & installation
I will also do daily sprays with my home made mix (water, aloe vera, infusium 23, walnut oil, glycerin and vo5) and oiling my scalp every other day with sulfur mix (hot 6 oil and sulfur)
vitamins daily: fish oil, msm, hair&nails, multi vitamin, iron and b vit complex
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing:
crochets, cornrows and flat twist maybe a weave if i learn how to self install
-your start date: now I am currently wearing crochets and will take them down next week and install another set a couple days later.

NaturallySweet73

I'm installing my first set of extensions tomorrow! When I install them myself I have to get mentally prepared.............lol! i don't trust anyone else to do it and I can adjust them the way I want:)

I hope everyone has a great holiday!

Be blessed yall!

Chemetria

I want in I will be doing the C&G method
I will get my braids put in on saturday the 1st(cornrows)
the reason I wanna do this is cause i wanna protect my hair and gain some length by my 1 year hair birthday (06-24-11)
my length now is ear length and I wanna get to collar bone or a least try by my hair birthday
my hair goal for 2011 is APL
and I will wash weekly spraying african royal brx spray daily and oiling with gro aut oil every other day

Striving4perfection86

Why are you joinig the challenge - Last year i did way tooooo much to my hair. When i was little i was easily between bsl and mbl and all my mum ever did was wash my hair every week, apply dax and cornrow! less is more for 2011, i jus wanna leave me hair alone

Current length - Full apl

Goal length - wl

Regime - cornrow hair every two weeks, co wash when i feel like it.
Daily i will moistrize and seal nightly and keep my ends WELL protected!
I will wash and dc every 2 weeks when i take out my braids.

Type of braids- cornrows..... i've been stalking mook and longhairdontcare2011!!!!!

Start date -Now i put in my cornrows on monday!

i'm currently 1 year post relaxer and i'm transistioning, also ive got some growth aids left over from the many bandwagons i jumped on last year ( megatek and moe gro oil) i also have some jbco:lachen: so i will apply 1 of those to my scalp a few times a week.

Last edited:

sxyblackgem

Hi everyone, I just re braided my hair this sunday in individual braids. If I knew that I was going to stay home on monday and tuesday as a result of the blizzard then I wouldn't have rushed to get it all done on sunday. It took about 10 hours for me to complete.

I have a question, when I take my braids out can I immediately braid it up again or should I give my hair time to rest?

Ladybelle, I think that you forgot to add me to the list of challengers, I don't see my screen name on the list. Thank you for previously welcoming me in one of your posts. I'm not sure how to quote cause im using the android app.

How often do we need to post?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

kiesha8185

Why you are joining the challenge
I'm joining to retain my length. When I get kinky/rope twists, my ends are better preserved.​

Current length
Almost APL with layers

Goal length
Full BSL, grow out layers

What your regimen will be
December 2010 - March 2010: Kinky Twists
April 2011 - June 2011: Kinky Twists
July 2011 - September 2011: Rope Twists
October 2011 - December 2011: Rope Twists

I am going to incorporate Ayurvedic rinses into my hair regimen although I am in twists by using heavily diluted/strained rinses in my hair once a week. I will add 1/2 teaspoon of each powder to a gallon of water, then strain the mixture.

1. Clean hair with Ayurvedic rinse (aritha, shikakai, neem). Leave in for 10 minutes.
  2. Treat hair with Ayurvedic rinse (henna, brahmi, brinaraj). Leave in for 10 minutes.
  3. Condition hair with Ayurvedic rinse (amla, methi, hibiscus). Leave in for 10 minutes.
  4. Run warm water through my hair until to completely rinse.
  5. Deep condition with Aphogee 2-minute Reconstructor for 30 minutes.
  6. Airdry.
  7. Spritz hair with aloe vera nightly.
  8. Full baggy my hair with shower cap before bed.

Last touch-up: November 5, 2010
Next touch-up: December 2011

ETA: Added 12-31-10 Kinky Twists Pic (2nd picture)

Attachments

• Beginning Pic.jpeg
    Beginning Pic.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 12-30-10.jpg
    12-30-10.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Luvmycurl

My sister is doing my cornrows this afternoon and then I'm making a wig to cover up the braids. I will post pictures later this evening.

~Vintage Queen~

-why you are joining the challenge
Need to look after and retain my hair as I don’t know how to style my hair protectively at it’s current length (leaving it out as an afro has caused me to cut it at least 5 times already)
-current length
6” Stretched (I’m in extension single plaits now)
-goal length
Each stage reached with joy but ultimately Hip/Bottom Length
-what your regimen will be
Shampoo and Condition 1 per week
Rinse every 3rd day
Moisturise 4/5x per week (every other day with aloe)
Deep condition when changing extension style or 2 per month

-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing
Everything complimentary to my look. Mainly extensions until neck length: singles, cornrows, twists and possibly threaded if I can find a suitable style.
-your start date
Was in extensions from December 8th. Will redo in Jan

Sha76

-why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it.
-current length- Below Collar Bone
-goal length-BSL
-what your regimen will be-Mainly Crown and Glory- Briaded up for 2 months, 2 weeks rest for Conditioning, Clarifying, Trimming
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing-Box braids
-your start date -12/28/2010

Ladybelle

welcome to the challenge everyone!!! I'm so glad you decided to join, now that 2011 has officially hit--- let's get it!!! :)

whatever your goals are, we can do it. I'm already thinking of ways to mix up the braiding styles.

Ladybelle

the challenger list has been updated, please let me know if I left your name off. I promise it was not on purpose.

I'm on my phone now, I can check it better when I get back home to the pc.

thanks! :)

Phaer

I am DC overnight with the Cream of nature ARgan Oil DC. I am installing braids tomorrow, and felt my hair needed moisture more than protein. I have been installing them myself (really loose only lasted a couple of weeks). So I am hoping that the overnight DC and leave in tomorrow and continuous care over the next month of so makes up for not waiting two weeks in between installs. I can't have my hair out (even with wigs) I tend to play with my hair too much. My edges are good and by doing them myself I not only save money but I wont have a headache tomorrow. This is my first time not waiting a month in between so we will see.

Chiquitita

OK, I am about 2 seconds from snatchin' these braids out my head... They have only been in for three weeks and supposed to be in for 8. For one thing, I am growing out my edges and a couple of braids in the front have fallen out already. :perplexed Secondly, I am getting 'the fuzzies' after washing my hair weekly.

When I was in my early twenties i had no problem sportin' braids for months on end. Now at mid-thirties I get seriously bored and wanna play in my hurrr !! :lol:

I need an interention quickly or else these braids are coming out pronto !!!

Edges growing back "slowly"

Hairline "Fuzziness"

bibirockz

i just got my braids done a few hours ago. IDK whether to call them conrows or not :lachen: but I love them :grin: I'll probably keep them in 3 weeks to a month.

Attachments

• bibi braids jan 04-11.jpg
    bibi braids jan 04-11.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 45
  • bibi braids2 jan 04-11.jpg
    bibi braids2 jan 04-11.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 39

sxyblackgem

@chiquitita: Keep those braids in yoh head, lol. I know how you feel I braided my hair up right before new years and I want to take it out already!! But I'm going to keep it in because I'm helping my hair out by giving it a rest. Maybe you can curl the ends or something to change up the look?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Re-twisted my hair "before day, this morning". I was going to cornrow my hair but its just too much. The thickness is so friggin' discouraging. I think 2 strand twists are going to be my "go to" style until my hair gets a bit more length.

ladysaraii

I took out my latest set of flat twists. i think i'm going to leave my hair out for about a week, i'm thinking of putting in some 3 strand twists in the mean time

Striving4perfection86

I put my conrows in last week monday that was 10 days ago and my hair looks beat down,
it was holding up well till I dc. I've been moistrizin and sealing daily and protectin my ends, I've also been applin
growth aids. The problem is my hair looked so beat down yesterday that when my friend invitied me around her house I almost didn't want to go,
I wore a scarf the whole time I was there and whenevr I felt it slippin off I was gettin proper anxious, I'm thinkin can I keep this up, I may jus so bigger
cornrows and redo weekly but that I wonder if I'll retain as much

bibirockz

Hey ladies! Are any of you weaving if so how do you wash &how often? After these braids I'm most likely getting a full head weave.

Jozze

I have been thinking about a full head weave but unsure. Bumping for answers.
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

There are a lot of ladies on LHCF that have use weaves as a very successful PS - check out the beautiful longhaired Ediese as an example of this.

IMHO, I think that it's very important that you continue to take care of your hair underneath as it's much easier to neglect it with a weave (the old out of sight out of mind syndrome). Remember that regular moisture and a clean scalp is imperative to good growth, retention and healthy hair. Dryness = breakage.

Also, when having your extensions installed, take care that the person installing doesn't braid your hair or sew your wefts in too tight. Some people have had problems with breakage, especially around their edges and nape because of this.

I personally prefer crochet braids because I get very natural looking extensions while I having full access to my hair and scalp. I can still co-wash, poo and DC weekly. Search BMP's crochet threads - her hair is gorgeous! HTHs!:)