THE BRAID IT UP 2011 CHALLENGE -anyone?

inneedofhelptx

I would like to join. This will be my first challenge. I've had braids with a 2 week break in between since the end of July.

why you are joining the challenge - I want to retain length.

current length- That is a very good question. I haven't done a length check in two months. I would say SL.

goal length - BSL

what your regimen will be - I use megatek, wild growth oil, and Taliah Waajid daily. I wash braids with diluted shampoo once a week and take a vitamin daily. I wrap my hair nightly with a satin scarf.

what type of braids/braiding you will be doing - Microbraids

your start date -I currently have braids but will be removing them this weekend. I will take a two week break and have them rebraided by the end of December.

simplychic

I'm in!!! This will be my very first challenge!!!

Why you are joining the challenge?- I am transitioning without BC'ing. I have a patch of hair that broken off badly and want to grow that back as well

Current Length- I would say neck length

Goal length - shoulder length, I plan on cutting my hair little by little

What your regimen will be - I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Ovation Cell Therapy, Wild Growth Oil. Wash every once a week. Deep condition when braids are out and let it rest for about 2 weeks in between styles.
what type of braids/braiding you will be doing - kinky twists for the first 3 months, then weaves, and etc.

Your start date - 12/18/10

gvin89

I'm in!

1) Why you are joining the challenge? I am transitioning without doing a BC and feel that braids are the easiest way to do so.
2) Current length: A little past SL
3) Goal length: All Natural BSL
4) What your regimen will be? I use the C&G method...rest 2 weeks between installs.
5) What type of braids/braiding you will be doing? Individuals & Kinky/Sengalese Twists
6) Your start date: Just had a set installed on December 1.

Last edited:

EclecticMaybe

I'd like to join simply because this is right up my alley.

-why you are joining the challenge?: I've been wearing crochet braids since September and I love the ease of the style. I plan on continuing right through 2011 to retain my growth and reach my goal.

-current length?: Recently BC'd my texturized ends so I'm currently NL
-goal length?: APL Stretched by Dec 2011. My ultimate goal is full SL Unstretched and Below BSL Stretched.

-what your regimen will be?: My current regimen is moisturize and seal every other day. Sleep with a satin cap every night (been doing it for years!!). I'm a CG so I don't use sulfates or cones- I'll cowash every 2 weeks. Wash, deep condition (protein/moisture) in between installs. And I'm considering including Jamila Henna Gloss treatments soon into my regimen for both color and the conditioning benefits (all thanks to Curly Nilkki).

-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing?: Crochet braids using Freetress Waterwave

-your start date?: Already started but my next install should be around Dec 29 or 31, 2010.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I think I'm going to join this one, just need to find a braider.
Why you are joining the challenge? I feeling lazy about my hair and need a break without allowing my hair to suffer.
Current length: NL
Goal length: SL (short term); WL (long term)
What your regimen will be? Keep braids in for 4 to 8 weeks at a time. Wash with diluted shampoo and conditioner every 7 to 14 days. Moisturize hair and scalp daily. Let hair rest for a week in-between installs.
What type of braids/braiding you will be doing? Box braids
Your start date: Not sure yet.

Poutchi

why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it.
I am transitionning but would like to reach BSL before chopping the relaxed hair off, this is a great way to retain length
-current length
Almost APL but not quite
-goal length
BSL for this challenge but MBL stretched natural hair ;)
-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful (which is why I posted the crown & glory link up there ^^^)
crown and glory method also
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing
kinky twists, crochet braids, single braids
-your start date January first
-you can do before & after pics if you want, but this is optional.will post picture later on
Happy hair growing everyone:)

Chiquitita

I am currently in braids. Please sign me up.

Why you are joining the challenge - we must have a good reason to do something or we won't stick with it.

I am doing this challenge in order to reach my short term goal of SL by my BC anniversary in April, 2011.

Current Length:

About 5 inches of hair all around.

Short term goal length: SL

Long term goal length: WSL

What your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful

I will be wearing individual braid extensions for two month intervals, with two week breaks in between (C&G method). I will moisturize daily with Infusium 23 and African Royale braid spray. I plan to shampoo at least 1/wk. I may alternate with cornrows under wigs if I get bored.

Start Date: Since December 11, 2010

Austro-Afrikana

I'm in...

Why? : After almost 2 years of braid extensions, I got fed up and stopped. But since I stopped (Last December) I have only gained 2 inches!! This seems to be the only thing that works for me and, although I don't really like the way I look with them, I HAVE to stick at it if I ever want waist length hair. I REALLY want 6 inches next year:sad:.

Current Length: BSL

Goal Length: WL

Regimen: I plan to keep my hair in braids 6 - 8 weeks at a time. I will spray daily with African pride and take as many hair vitamins as I can to try and maximise growth. I will be following c&g like I used to. When I'm out of braids I will try and keep my hair bunned, preferably washing/preepooing/steaming once a fortnight but the use of gel may mean I must wash once a week.

Type of Braids I will use: Braid extensions with Kanekalon hair. I may canerow my hair inbetween sometimes.

Start Date: 17th December. I just put my braids in last night.

Last edited:

Chiquitita

Hello Everyone !! :wave:

Are any of you ladies deep conditioning while in braids ? I was afraid to do this because of possible build up and hair sticking together upon removal. I don't want to lose the progress that I've gained...

If so, how often do you deep condition??

Lute

I want to join in as well

-why you are joining the challenge - I want to take a break with my hair as well.. so i can focus my attention on other things. Also, I want to get to bsl and this is the only way I can achieve it. By only doing Protective Styling

-current length
8 inches in the front. about 8-9.5 inches on the side and 8.5-9 inches in the back.

-goal length
The back part of my head. full BSL. On the sides APL the Front past my chin. So I would like to be at 11-14 inches. by the end of the year.

-what your regimen will be.
Not sure yet. But I'm going to try to wash my hair every two weeks and keep the hair moisturized..

I will be doing twists and the C&G method.

-your start date
12/18/2010

MzSwift

Are any of you ladies deep conditioning while in braids ? I was afraid to do this because of possible build up and hair sticking together upon removal. I don't want to lose the progress that I've gained...

Sure! Just dilute your DC the same way you would your poo and condish. I usually do a 30/70 product/water mix in a color applicator bottle. I would DC w/each wash and use a plastic grocery bag to cover (no laughing). Then I would either sit under the dryer or cover w/a headwrap for a couple of hours then rinse.
HTH!

ETA: You can play w/the mix until you find one you like. Some ladies only do 10% product in water.

Last edited:

Ladybelle

Sure! Just dilute your DC the same way you would your poo and condish. I usually do a 30/70 product/water mix in a color applicator bottle. I would DC w/each wash and use a plastic grocery bag to cover (no laughing). Then I would either sit under the dryer or cover w/a headwrap for a couple of hours then rinse.
HTH!

ETA: You can play w/the mix until you find one you like. Some ladies only do 10% product in water.

^^Yep, this is what I do. Works wonderfully. I also use one of these to wash with, it helps keep the hair from frizzing & looking old. There was a thread about how to do it, but I can't find it.

Bought it at wal-mart. I wash,dc & dry in this & when I remove it, my hair looks just as good as when I first braided it up.

bibirockz

Yes I still deep condition 1x a week. I dont dilute it just because my braids aren't heavy and I only have extensions at the end since my hair is conrowed.

DarkChyld

Reasons for joining: I need something to do with my hair. I'm tired of rocking my uneven natural in length and texture. (curly in the back and wavy in the front, gets on my last nerve). I'm also tired of planning what to do with my hair every weekend.
Current Length: Shoulder Length when pressed and Neck Length when natural (it refuses to move past that)
Goal Length: BSL when pressed and eventual BSL when natural
Regimen: Wash once a week. Deep condition once a week. The rest of the regimen depends on what I have up there. I'll be cowashing as needed.
Weaves: Keep in for no longer than 10 weeks. Shampoo and DC at least once a week.
Twists: Keep in for 8-10 weeks. Getting the front and edges redone every three weeks to maintain freshness. Shampoo at least twice a week. DC at least once a week
Cornrows: Shampoo and DC once a week. Moisturize with EVOO
Hair will usually get at least a week of rest. Hair trims every 3 months. I'll dust until then.
Type: Kinky twists, Senegalese twists, Triple Layer cornrows, and Weave
Start Date: Sometime before the end of January. (Gotta find a secondary stylist as the primary one is MIA.)

Ladybelle

Challenger list has been updated.

Let's do it ladies!This time next year, my hair will be BSL or APL in the name of Jesus!! I just hope I don't get too bored with the braids.

Went to the shop to get long kinky twist & they said they couldn't do them that long, which sucks. Gonna find a shop to do the long ones next time.

ojemba

Why? : I am trying to reach MBL with healty ends by the end of 2011

Current Length: BSL

Goal Length: WL

Regimen: I plan to keep my hair in braids 6 - 10 weeks at a time. I follow the C&G method.I will spray daily with African pride/infusiium and aloe vea mix daily and use JBCO every other day. When I'm out of braids I will try and keep my hair bunned, or braided in big plates under a wig. I will wash and con every weekend while out of braids and every other week in braids. I will dust my ends in 6 Months.

Type of Braids I will use: Braid extensions with Kanekalon hair.

Start Date: I just removed singles that I had in for 11 weeks, I'm taking a break and will rebraid on Jan 14.

Bigmommah

-why you are joining the challenge ~ I am joining because I find that 2 strand flat twists and braids work best with my current fitness routine and lifestyle.

-current length ~ APL

-goal length ~ As long as it will grow ultimately but BSL by the end of this challenge.

-what your regimen will be ~ My regimen will stay the same co-wash on Wednesday, prepoo, shampoo, dc and restyle on Sat. I moisturize daily with Infusium 23 and IC Aloe and I "grease" my parts and edges with coconut oil, JBCO, and I will be adding peppermint oil and sulfur to the mix nightly.

-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing ~ I flat twist or braid my own hair only.

-your start date ~ Jan 8th as I promised my hubby I'd wear my hair straight for a week after my length check Jan 1st.

Last edited:

bibirockz

@Ladybelle have you tried doing your own twists? I know they sound like a lot of work but you're better off DIY.

Ladybelle

@Ladybelle have you tried doing your own twists? I know they sound like a lot of work but you're better off DIY.

yeah, I can do them - but it is so time consuming that I'd rather pay someone. It takes me two days to do them. You're right though & I need to stop being so lazy & just do them myself.

Do you do all of your own braiding?

Jozze

Sign me up pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!:D

why you are joining the challenge: I've spent a year doing the 2010 Braid challenge and it works really well. I've retained all of my length this year.

current length: APL

goal length: HL

what your regimen will be: six to eight weeks in braids doing C&G.
My 2/3 weeks hair down regimen
Weekly: EVOO, loose-twist washing, henna gloss, deep condition & steaming.
Daily Winter: KMT-leave-in and oil/butter sealing and bunning.
Daily Summer: co-washes; KMT-leave-in and oil/butter sealing for W-N-G or wet bunning.

I'll continue doing C&G because it's super easy and keeps your hair in beautiful condition if followed correctly! It's very important not to neglect your hair or let it dry out! Never braid your hair too tight! And be especially careful when braiding your edges and nape areas.

what type of braids/braiding you will be doing: Crochet, cornrows and yarn braids

your start date: I'm in crochet braids now!:grin:

Last edited:

Cisselette

-
why you are joining the challenge:

I've been quite impatient with my hair ( abusing heat, no regimen etc.) which prevented me from retaining length AND forced me to recently cut my hair. I need a good strong routine to maintain healthy hair / reach my length goals.

-current length
:
Neck length with layers:nono:

-goal length :

Full SL by june / Full APL by december (or longer, I've had some nice surprises in the past :yep:)

-what your regimen will be **you know you need a regimen of conditioning, resting, daily care & maintenance if you want this to be successful (which is why I posted the crown & glory link up there ^^^)

**Daily: spritz water/glycerin mix. Sleep on a satin pillow.

**Weekly: Apply homemade leave-in conditioner (whipped Shea butter + oils mix)

**Monthly: shampoo, co-wash, detangle, deep condition, air-dry, re-braid

**Every two months: wear my hair in "out" styles for 5-7 days

I know from experience that low manipulation and a KISS regimen are my hair best friends.

I'll be getting 6-8 big cornrows with extension & wear a wig

-your start date
I've already started (Dec.23rd)

-you can do before & after pics if you want, but this is optional.
Might post progress pics in 6 months...

***NO HEAT FOR A YEAR

Last edited:

OsnapCnapp!

why you are joining the challenge - I am a self-proclaimed "slow-grower" but I really want 2011 to be the year that I can nip that thought in the bud and get some growth going
-current length-different lengths all over! (crown JBL, sides CBL, back SL)
-goal length-For 2011 my goal length is APL (in a nutshell)
-what your regimen will be-I can't say my regimen right now, I have never really had one but I think it will be something like....moisture, moisture, moisture, protein.
-what type of braids/braiding you will be doing-I have cornrows right now but I will be going back to school in January and since I trust no one but ma to do them (since I can't, ugh!) then I may do twists and the interconnected braids
-your start date-my start date was Dec.22

eocceas

I'm in...

why you are joining the challenge: I've spent a year in braids and twist in 2010 and it worked well for me. I've retained all of my length this year.

current length: APL
2011 goal length: MBL

goal length: HL

what your regimen will be: eight weeks in braids and after rest w/loose twist for 2-4 wks
Monthly: Pre-poo, Shampoo with Ayurveda powders, EVOO, loose-twist washing, henna gloss, deep condition & steaming.
bi-weekly: Co-wash in braids, deep condition with steam
Weekly Winter: Spritz with water and JBCO or glycerin mix.
Daily Summer: Spritz with water and JBCO or glycerin mix and sealing with coconut oil.

what type of braids/braiding you will be doing: cornrows, twist, single braids
your start date: now!

Attachments

• me6.jpg
    me6.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 47
  • me4.jpeg
    me4.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 59

Ladybelle

Everyone have their braids in yet???

I got mine in on Dec 16th and will keep them in until Feb 16th, I give my hair a two week rest full of dc's & protein treatments and will re-install around March 3rd. I wig it out during my resting phase.I had a lace-front that looked like the real deal, that I lost while moving. :sad: Gotta buy a new one.

Chiquitita

Congratulations to Jozze and eocceas for retaining all of your length in 2010.

:dance7:

Now see, this is what I’m talking about. I want this to be my testimony for 2011. :lol:

I'm ready !!!

bibirockz

I just took my braids out last week. I will be getting them this week or the week after. As of right now I have about 10 braids until then.

Jozze

Congratulations to Jozze and eocceas for retaining all of your length in 2010.

:dance7:

Now see, this is what I’m talking about. I want this to be my testimony for 2011. :lol:

I'm ready !!!

Aww thanks Chiquitita! I promise that if you follow the C&G method 100% you will retain all of your length in 2011. I honestly believe that anyone following the C&G rules 100% will find it darn near impossible to have a setback. Just make sure that your braids aren't too tight or heavy and baby your nape and edges. Our hair really thrives on this method!:grin: