Twisting FOR Growth Challenge Part 2

oooop2

Hi Ladies,

After the success I had via the Twisting for Growth Challenge, I decided that I wanted to do another one. My hair tends to look and feel best when my primary style is twist/twistouts.

This will be a 6 month challenge (Feb 15 - Aug 15). NO MORE PARTICIPANTS WILLBE ADDED AFTER MAR 15

I want to keep the rules SIMPLE.

So those who want to participate should:

1. Post STARTING pics of what their hair looks like (length) and regime.

2. Maintain twist hairstyle through out this challenge.

3. Can only wear their hair not in twist no more than 5 days at a time. (Ex. Wear twist for a week..Twistouts/Afro/Etc for 3-5days..Then retwist )

4. Can create twist w/ their own hair or extensions.

5. Must check in at least once a week to let the group know how you are doing and to show off your twist hairstyle.

6. Must maintain your own PROPER hair care regime.

I think we should all pay attention to what works best for our hair. So if at any time you feel as though wearing twist is not beneficial, just let the group know.

So if anyone if interested, reply to this post and lets get to TWISTING

Challengers

1. oooop2
2. scarcity 21
3. rsmith
4. simply kelz
5. karebear0610
6. naturalpride
7. perlenoire83
8. shaelols
9. shilloh
10. natrlchallenge
11. miss Congeniality
12. donewit-it
13. Kay.Dee
14. Brees_hair
15. cincybrownsugar
16. TCatt86
17. productjunkie814
18. shortdub78
19. Jaxhair
20. EMJazzy
21. GroGurl
22. **Glamourlicious**
23. Ms Lala
24. anherica
25. AdeyemiTL
26. sutolkia
27. bklynLadee
28. Sugarhoneyicetea
29. prettykinks
30. Mz. Princess
31. a_ caribbean_dream
32. Sascha
33. Rapunzel*
34. Dee Raven
35. cherryhair123

No more challengers will be added to this challenge.

Thanks for all of those that have expressed interest in joining this challenge with me. Can't wait to see our growth in August!!!!

Last edited:

oooop2

My current length:

My regime:

1. Apply my banana-coconut mask to hair 3x/wk for additional moisture.
2. DC 1x/week
3. Co-wash w/ Pantene condish 3x/wk
4. Spritz twist w/ Rosemary-sage mix 2x/day
5. Apply whipped shea butter to ends daily.
6. Apply castor oil to roots and strands daily.
7. Henna 1x/month.

scarcity21

im in but may not do the whole 6 months...im taking it 1 month at a time!!! im in the bun for growth challenge and I twist then pull twists in a lil pony and attach my phony puff(although im beginning to get bored with the phony afro puff:()
i might alternate with braids though ...no extensions

Last edited:

scarcity21

My current length:

My regime:

1. Apply my banana-coconut mask to hair 3x/wk for additional moisture.
2. DC 1x/week
3. Co-wash w/ Pantene condish 3x/wk
4. Spritz twist w/ Rosemary-sage mix 2x/day
5. Apply whipped shea butter to ends daily.
6. Apply castor oil to roots and strands daily.
7. Henna 1x/month.

can u tell me more about the banana-coconut mask for moisture....my hair is as dry as the sahara:lachen:
and also the rosemary sage mix? i have rosemary EO but where can i get sage from?

RENIBELL

wish i coulc join, looking for non heat related hair growing style, but i'm still transitioning and my stwists look awful, the ends are straight :nono:

Simply_Kelz

I want to join but I have a question, I usually wear twistouts, not actual twists, so does this mean I have to wear twists all the time, or do twistouts count too?

karebear0610

Count me in, I was actually planning on twisting my hair this weekend. Happy that there is twisting challenge. Will post up my starting pics soon!!

MrsMe

I'm in! I was supposed to twist my hair last night but I had a horrible headache that sent me straight to bed! I'm definitely doing this because I am tired of doing my hair almost every day and low manipulation has always worked best for me.
I don't know how to post pics, but I have a video showing my length on YT. http://www.youtube.com/profile_video_blog?sid=1F910B05961E9D78&id=81F43957256A58FC
My regimen (it will certainly change over time...):
-wash once a week with Aubrey Organics' Island Naturals shampoo and conditioner
-seal after washing with glycerin + water and my oil mix on the ends
-moisturize hair w/ Healthy Hair Butter and scalp with my oil mix again
-in the morning, I either spray some of CD's Tui Jojoba and Shea Butter Hair Sheen (very moisturizing and makes hair shiny without a heavy greasy feeling) or I use some of CD's Hair Milk
-Henna DC once every two months
-Also, I'm thinking of co-washing in the middle of the week with Jamaican Mango & Lime Protein Conditioner because I plan on exercising 4-5 times a week so I need to get rid of sweat.

shae101s

hey hey!! I want to be in, buuttt..I need to know..I wear twists, and or plaits...so does it count either way if it's in the twists or plaits?

oooop2

can u tell me more about the banana-coconut mask for moisture....my hair is as dry as the sahara:lachen:
and also the rosemary sage mix? i have rosemary EO but where can i get sage from?

Rosemary Sage mix

2tbsp dried rosemary leaves
1tbsp dried crushed sage leaves
4 cups water

Bring water to a boil. Add the leaves. Stir and turn off heat. Let sit until mix is completely cooled. Strain. Add to a stray bottle. Refrig after use. Use morning and evening.

Banana-coconut mask

5 ripe bananas
1 can creamy coconut milk
1/2 cup honey
2tbsp molasses
3/4 cup EVOO

Add mix to blender and blend until extra smooth. Transfer to a sealed container. And refrig.

When I use, I first apply some cheapo condish to dry hair. I then pour some of my mask into a bowl and add some plain yogurt. I then slather onto my hair and cover w/ a plastic cap. Sometime I sit w/ my heated cap. Most times, I just leave hair covered for about 1hr then rinse. I then co-wash after. My hair feel so soft and shiny after.

wish i coulc join, looking for non heat related hair growing style, but i'm still transitioning and my stwists look awful, the ends are straight :nono:

Have you tried twisting and adding rollers to the ends. That may be an option.

I want to join but I have a question, I usually wear twistouts, not actual twists, so does this mean I have to wear twists all the time, or do twistouts count too?

Do you typically wear twist at night and then twistouts during the day? How are you maintaining the health of your hair when you only wear twistouts? I have no problem with you joining, as you may be able to show some of us how to maintain healthy looking hair, as well as achieving growth via twistouts.

I'm in! I was supposed to twist my hair last night but I had a horrible headache that sent me straight to bed! I'm definitely doing this because I am tired of doing my hair almost every day and low manipulation has always worked best for me.
I don't know how to post pics, but I have a video showing my length on YT. http://www.youtube.com/profile_video_blog?sid=1F910B05961E9D78&id=81F43957256A58FC
My regimen (it will certainly change over time...):
-wash once a week with Aubrey Organics' Island Naturals shampoo and conditioner
-seal after washing with glycerin + water and my oil mix on the ends
-moisturize hair w/ Healthy Hair Butter and scalp with my oil mix again
-in the morning, I either spray some of CD's Tui Jojoba and Shea Butter Hair Sheen (very moisturizing and makes hair shiny without a heavy greasy feeling) or I use some of CD's Hair Milk
-Henna DC once every two months
-Also, I'm thinking of co-washing in the middle of the week with Jamaican Mango & Lime Protein Conditioner because I plan on exercising 4-5 times a week so I need to get rid of sweat.

Thanks for joining. You can upload your picture onto photobucket.com and then paste the link here.

[quote="shae101s, post: 6956177"]hey hey!! I want to be in, buuttt..I need to know..I wear twists, and or plaits...so does it count either way if it's in the twists or plaits?[/quote]
Either or will be fine. Thanks for joining.

[quote="snilloh, post: 6960029"]can we participate if we do braidouts instead? My hair doesn't hold twists at all.[/quote]
Absolutely.

Thanks ladies for joining my challenge :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Does it matter what kind of twists you use? So far, I can only flat twist. :ohwell: I am so psyched right now to try this, but my twists are still not on point enough for me to wear them out. I hope by the 15th they look better.:blush: Ya'll gonna be laughing at my busted twists for 6 months. :rolleyes: I only got one really decent set and that's my avatar pic.:violin:

oooop2

Does it matter what kind of twists you use? So far, I can only flat twist. :ohwell: I am so psyched right now to try this, but my twists are still not on point enough for me to wear them out. I hope by the 15th they look better.:blush: Ya'll gonna be laughing at my busted twists for 6 months. :rolleyes: I only got one really decent set and that's my avatar pic.:violin:

Nope, it doesn't matter. And I promise we won't laugh. We've all been there :)

You can add me to this challenge. I'll be back later with my starting pics.

Will do!!

Fhrizzball

aww I wanna join but i'm getting my hair either in braids or a weave on valentines so I won't have to worry about it till summer. Once May hits and I'm on summer break I'll be twisting of course. My hair's in twists now though :p I guess I'm just putting my reservation down then...

Question though, about that Banana Coconut mask does it work as a protein or moisterizing mask for you?

oooop2

aww I wanna join but i'm getting my hair either in braids or a weave on valentines so I won't have to worry about it till summer. Once May hits and I'm on summer break I'll be twisting of course. My hair's in twists now though :p I guess I'm just putting my reservation down then...

Question though, about that Banana Coconut mask does it work as a protein or moisterizing mask for you?

Too funny!!

It's more of a moisturizing mask for me.

Simply_Kelz

Do you typically wear twist at night and then twistouts during the day? How are you maintaining the health of your hair when you only wear twistouts? I have no problem with you joining, as you may be able to show some of us how to maintain healthy looking hair, as well as achieving growth via twistouts.

Thanks ladies for joining my challenge :)

Well I'm relaxed, and I cowash everyday, so yes, I pretty much twist at night, wear a twistout during the day, and repeat the next night. My hair doesn't necessarily need to be bunned, as long as the common factor in my regimen is the cowashing. I only detangle once a week, and because my ends stay moisturized, I retain length. Thanks for letting me join!
My starting pics:

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Simply_Kelz

My Regimen:

Daily-
Cowash with one of my Suaves or VO5's.
Use a bit as a leave-in. Seal with coconut oil.
Twist. Finger comb the next day. Repeat next night.

Detangle MAYBE once a week. DC twice a week.

shae101s

yay...okay, cool, so I am in: here's starting point: (nota bien, my hair is super shrunken..but I chose these because I know my hair will always shrink up and want to see what growth I can get even in the shrunken state in the next 6months)

scarcity21

Rosemary Sage mix

4 cups water

Bring water to a boil. Add the leaves. Stir and turn off heat. Let sit until mix is completely cooled. Strain. Add to a stray bottle. Refrig after use. Use morning and evening.

Banana-coconut mask

5 ripe bananas
1/2 cup honey
2tbsp molasses
3/4 cup EVOO

Add mix to blender and blend until extra smooth. Transfer to a sealed container. And refrig.

When I use, I first apply some cheapo condish to dry hair. I then pour some of my mask into a bowl and add some plain yogurt. I then slather onto my hair and cover w/ a plastic cap. Sometime I sit w/ my heated cap. Most times, I just leave hair covered for about 1hr then rinse. I then co-wash after. My hair feel so soft and shiny after.

Thanks
so where can i get the leaves and will i need a preservative? alternatively can i use the oils?

donewit-it

I want to join. This gives me some time to wear my bun for at least two weeks.

Question to Oooop2, do you wash and condition your hair while in twists? Including doing your coconut mask?

I haven't retained much of my length this past year, so I'm willing to participate in this challenge to see what happens.

My starting picture will be posted when I get home tonight.

Attachments

• start1.JPG
    start1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 58
  • start2.JPG
    start2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Kay.Dee

I think I want to join

I was already going to protective style until may, what's a few more months?
I just took out twist extentions and plan on twisting my real hair tonight. I think I'm going to alternate between the 2. I'll post pics and my regimen later on.

oooop2

Rosemary Sage mix

4 cups water

Banana-coconut mask

5 ripe bananas
1/2 cup honey
2tbsp molasses
3/4 cup EVOO

Thanks
so where can i get the leaves and will i need a preservative? alternatively can i use the oils?

You can find the leaves in the seasoning section of the grocery store. I tend to use it pretty fast, so all I do is keep it refrigerated. I have never used the oils, but I am assuming you can. I just wouldn't be able to tell you measurements.

I want to join. This gives me some time to wear my bun for at least two weeks.

Question to Oooop2, do you wash and condition your hair while in twists? Including doing your coconut mask?

I haven't retained much of my length this past year, so I'm willing to participate in this challenge to see what happens.

My starting picture will be posted when I get home tonight.

Yes..I do wash and condish my hair when in twist. If in large twist, I just retwist as needed. If in smaller twist and I want to reduce the frizz, I cover hair w/ a pantyhose and wash over the hose.

I only apply the mask on large/chunky twist or loose hair. That way it's easy to remove.

I think I want to join

I was already going to protective style until may, what's a few more months?
I just took out twist extentions and plan on twisting my real hair tonight. I think I'm going to alternate between the 2. I'll post pics and my regimen later on.

Thanks for joining!!!

laurend

Do you typically wear twist at night and then twistouts during the day? How are you maintaining the health of your hair when you only wear twistouts? I have no problem with you joining, as you may be able to show some of us how to maintain healthy looking hair, as well as achieving

I'm not joining the challenge but you can grow long healthy hair doing twistouts. I never wear my hair in twists, I doesn't look great on me. I wash, twist and take them down the next day and wear twistouts for a week. If I have to retwist, it's just a few in the front after three days or so. My hair holds the style fine between 5 to 7 days at a time, so it's easy to maintain.

oooop2

Do you typically wear twist at night and then twistouts during the day? How are you maintaining the health of your hair when you only wear twistouts? I have no problem with you joining, as you may be able to show some of us how to maintain healthy looking hair, as well as achieving

I'm not joining the challenge but you can grow long healthy hair doing twistouts. I never wear my hair in twists, I doesn't look great on me. I wash, twist and take them down the next day and wear twistouts for a week. If I have to retwist, it's just a few in the front after three days or so. My hair holds the style fine between 5 to 7 days at a time, so it's easy to maintain.

Thanks for your input...Lately, I've been wearing Curly Nikki's Twist n Curl style and love it...

Leeda.the.Paladin

I'd like to join, will post pictures in the next hour.

Edit: On second thought, I am still going to twist, but I'd also like to try some rollersetting in the next few weeks here, so I think I will just visit this thread a lot.

Last edited:

MrsMe

:yay: I finally figured out a way to post my pics. I didn't want to upload my pics on Photobucket because I have a tendency to forget where I post my pics...

Attachments

• P1110341.JPG
    P1110341.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P1110333.jpg
    P1110333.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1110336.JPG
    P1110336.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P1110338.JPG
    P1110338.JPG