Twisting FOR Growth Challenge Part 3!!!!!!

oooop2

Start today Sept 1 - Dec 22.

NO MORE PARTICIPANTS WILL BE ADDED

The 10 participants are:

1. Oooop2
2. Ms lala
3. Soliel185
4. Bablou00
5. Jaxhair
6. rsmith
7. Loolalooh
8. Productjunkie814
9. Dragone
10. Sheava

The RULES!!!

I want to keep the rules SIMPLE.

So those who want to participate should:

1. Post STARTING pics of what their hair looks like (length) and regime.

2. Maintain twist hairstyle through out this challenge.

3. Can only wear their hair not in twist no more than 5 days at a time. (Ex. Wear twist for a week..Twistouts/Afro/Etc for 3-5days..Then retwist )

4. Can create twist w/ their own hair or extensions.

5. Must check in at least once a week to let the group know how you are doing and to show off your twist hairstyle.

6. Must maintain your own PROPER hair care regime.

I think we should all pay attention to what works best for our hair. So if at any time you feel as though wearing twist is not beneficial, just let the group know.

Ladies sometime this week, post your starting off growth. And we'll post our final growth once the challenge ends on Dec 22.

I'll post my growth pics later today.

Last edited:

mscocoface

I am lurking in this thread since I am terrible with challenges, but I want to know have any of you posted any pics of the way you are doing your twists?

I am looking for updos so that I can keep my seriously shrunken ends off of my collar and neck area.

Mandy4610

Is this open to new challengers or is it only for the 10 people in the OP? Any tutorials for the twisting challenged that want to join?

bablou00

Im so stoked for this challenge. I have been rocking the same twist for about 2 wks and some days right now. I will be taking them down in the next couple of days to retwist Thursday night. So I will have some pics up sometime later on this wk. I hoping that I will be able to get 2-3wks out of twisting since it takes me so long. But I wash or run water thru my hair on a daily with working out so they are starting to look a little hairy rt now:lachen: Good luck ladies. I cant wait to see some pics

Soliel185

Here's my starting point-

Naked, damp hair after DC

Stretched Length Check:

Dry hair w/ Product:

MummysGirl

I'm subscribing to this thread! I'm a transitioner, who is constantly learning from naturals. This time next year, I'll definitely be taking part in a challenge like this :yep:

Good luck Ladies!!!!

productjunkie814

Yay! I've been waiting for the start of this challenge; I had tons of growth the last time around. I'm currently in twists that I put in on Sunday. I'll post picks this weekend.

oooop2

I am lurking in this thread since I am terrible with challenges, but I want to know have any of you posted any pics of the way you are doing your twists?

I am looking for updos so that I can keep my seriously shrunken ends off of my collar and neck area.

Hi...I can so relate to shrunken twist. I've posted various pics of my updos/styles in various TTG challenge post. I also have them in my fotki album. I'm pretty basic though, so I really love when other twisties post their styling ideas....

What exactly are the rules?? I am transitioning can you help me out with some ideas?

The rules are basically to keep your hair in some type of twist style about 90% of the time. Taking breaks and styling in twistouts/WnGs, before restyling back into twist. For me, wearing twist has provided me with the versatility my hair needs, as well as tremendous growth retention.

Is this open to new challengers or is it only for the 10 people in the OP? Any tutorials for the twisting challenged that want to join?

Hi..At the end of the TFG challenge #2, I posted that I would only have 10 participants in this challenge and those interested were to PM me directly. The ladies on the list (+ me) are the ones that expressed interest. Since we have 10, I won't be adding anyone else to the challenge. However, I definitely welcome questions/suggestions/advice, as we are all here to ultimately learn from each other......

Im so stoked for this challenge. I have been rocking the same twist for about 2 wks and some days right now. I will be taking them down in the next couple of days to retwist Thursday night. So I will have some pics up sometime later on this wk. I hoping that I will be able to get 2-3wks out of twisting since it takes me so long. But I wash or run water thru my hair on a daily with working out so they are starting to look a little hairy rt now:lachen: Good luck ladies. I cant wait to see some pics

Thanks for participating. Look forward to seeing your styles/growth!!!

Here's my starting point-

Naked, damp hair after DC

Stretched Length Check:

Dry hair w/ Product:

I'm subscribing to this thread! I'm a transitioner, who is constantly learning from naturals. This time next year, I'll definitely be taking part in a challenge like this :yep:

Good luck Ladies!!!!

We cute!! And thanks so much for joining :)

sheava

I am in twists that I did on Sunday. I will post my start pics later on this week. I am really excited about this challenge. It's my first one.

Soliel185

My length goal for this challenge will be BSB. :grin:

I was APL before I chopped - and I can see from my length check that I will probably be hitting that w/in the next 2 months. My hair has grown a lot in the past 6 weeks since I chopped, and I'm hoping that that will continue. :yep:

I'm going to sit down tonight *sigh* and do my twists. It didn't even take me that long last time - it's just that when I look at the density of the hair packed on my head my hands start to hurt. :ohwell: I'm going to braid the roots this time to help keep my neater longer.

a_shoe_6307

I will be subscribing to this thread. I know you aren't adding anyone else, but I want to follow along for moral support. I have had twist for two weeks and so far so good.

Last edited:

loolalooh

My new favorite updo in twists is the fishtail or lobstertail. It's an overbraid frenchbraid with the end tucked under if that makes sense. I have a modified version in "MONTHS 19-21" of my fotki (link in my profile). I also just throw on a jaw clip or wear a twist bun. HTH!

Last edited:

loolalooh

Woo-hoo!! The challenge has begun.

I'll post starting pics tonight or tomorrow. Right now, I have twists that I put in on Sunday. The plan is to keep them in for 3 to 4 weeks, washing weekly. I'll also redo the perimeter weekly to keep my hairline fresh.

My goal is to grow 2 inches by the end of the challenge.

loolalooh

How are you ladies washing your hair in twists without the coming undone?

I usually wash as is; my twists don't come undone.

It may help for you to plait your twists before washing. Another option is to make the twists a little smaller. HTH.

oooop2

Oooop when are you going to post? I cant wait to see your progress

I know....Just got home internet access the other day. Will post tonight as soon as my hubby gets home. Would have my kids take it, but it would be all blurred..LOL

oooop2

How are you ladies washing your hair in twists without the coming undone?

I think it all depends on how long your hair is and the texture. If you are finding that your twist are becoming unraveled, try covering with a nylon stocking and washing that way.

loolalooh

Here are my starting photos. This challenge will help me refocus ... I've been manipulating my hair too much lately. Aiming for 2 inches come December 22:

Attachments

• loo.png
    loo.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 76

oooop2

Okay..Here is my update:

Length at the end of Dec 2008

In Feb 2009, I cut off about 1/2 to 1in from my ends due to knots/split ends/incomplete splits. Check out my FOTKI Feb 2009 album to see pics of my trim. So I took it between the 5 and 5.5 mark on my shirt. Sorry didn't capture pics with my length shirt after the trim.

My hair AFTER I did the cut:

Here is my growth as of today:

My husband is still learning, but I'm at the 7.5 mark. This is after I trimmed in Feb. 09. My current length is a little below BSL. Aiming for the 8.5 mark by the end of this challenge.

My plan is to continue doing my detangling process like I've posted in the fotki album. I think I overdid my henna treatments during TFG #2 and as a result, my hair was overly dry. Will now only henna every 4-6wks. Also, wearing large twist (about 15-20) works best of me. It's easy to do, easy to detangle, and leaves me with nice/thick/bouncy twistouts. So I will be maintaining this sz twist t/o this challenge.

Can't wait to see everyone growth come Dec :grin:

oooop2

Please add me to the list! I'm using daily flat twists as my daily transition style!:yep:

Please continue to follow this trend and ask questions. However, we will only have 10 participants in this challenge, so I won't be adding anyone else.

productjunkie814

I think it all depends on how long your hair is and the texture. If you are finding that your twist are becoming unraveled, try covering with a nylon stocking and washing that way.

This is how I wash my twists. I cover my hair with a stocking and work some diluted condish in over it. I gently massage and rinse. it works well for me because 1) some of the condish inevitably stays in my hair which is great and 2) my twists stay fairly intact.

Okay..Here is my update:

Length at the end of Dec 2008

In Feb 2009, I cut off about 1/2 to 1in from my ends due to knots/split ends/incomplete splits. Check out my FOTKI Feb 2009 album to see pics of my trim. So I took it between the 5 and 5.5 mark on my shirt. Sorry didn't capture pics with my length shirt after the trim.

My hair AFTER I did the cut:

Here is my growth as of today:

My husband is still learning, but I'm at the 7.5 mark. This is after I trimmed in Feb. 09. My current length is a little below BSL. Aiming for the 8.5 mark by the end of this challenge.

My plan is to continue doing my detangling process like I've posted in the fotki album. I think I overdid my henna treatments during TFG #2 and as a result, my hair was overly dry. Will now only henna every 4-6wks. Also, wearing large twist (about 15-20) works best of me. It's easy to do, easy to detangle, and leaves me with nice/thick/bouncy twistouts. So I will be maintaining this sz twist t/o this challenge.

Can't wait to see everyone growth come Dec :grin:

I love your hair, lol. I agree with the less twists routine...I think I prefer the twistout that they give me. We'll see...we have four months to experiment. By the way, love the new bathroom!

Ms Lala

Hey ladies!!! I"m so excited about this challenge. I got kind of slack last time and wasn't moisturizing and dc'ing like I should. My hair is so uneven it's hard to post a starting length. I"m somewhere around bsl I think and my goal is mbl. I've been stuck at bsl because of breakage and I"m not sure what was/is causing it. It's gotten much better, I think it was the color I still had on the ends of my hair. I'm going to trim and take some pics of my hair this weekend. Right now I"m wearing flat twists in the front and either a twist out or big twists in the back pulled into a bun. I took a pic of this style and will post it to my fotki. I can't check personal sites at my new job so I won't be able to check in as much as I'd like to. I still should be able to do atleast twice a week though. I'm going to put in individual twists in over this labor day weekend. I don't know what's going on w/my hair but it doesn't look nearly as healthy as it did when I took my siggy pic.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

I rinse them with conditioner or if I have to I use very diluted shampoo. I am careful not to manipulate them to much and to concentrate the poo on the scalp. I prefer to use a color applicator bottle to shampoo when my hair is twisted to make sure it gets on the scalp and I also find that I don't rough up my roots as much when I do this.