Twisting FOR Growth Challenge Part 4!!!!!!

oooop2

wow, Oooop2 it is holding nicely.

I been struggling with which way to part my hair and cut down on the frizz.

Tonight, I plan to henna my hair and deep condition.

Thanks....I part my hair in the middle about 1/2 way down, then I just grab and twist.

What do you mean? Maybe we can help you come up w/some ideas if you tell us what look you are going for and what problem(s) your hair is giving you.

Taliah Waajid is a natural stylist with a line of products. I've tried a couple of her other things before but this is by far my fav. The link below lists her products and their uses. Her products are pretty reasonably priced too.

http://www.naturalhair.org/detailedproductinformationanddirectionsforuse.aspx

Thanks for the info

I need to figure out a way to part my hair in the front so that it looks good pulled up or pulled back.

What type of comb are you using?

Update on me...

Well ladies, my twist lasted 3wks and 1 day. I could have made it another week, but I was starting to miss my hair and I have a formal function to attend tomorrow night. So today, I decided to take them out. The process wasn't as intense was I expected. Took about 2hrs. SHEA BUTTER is the best at untwisting twist that has been in awhile. It loosened up my shedded strands/knots. I think I would have had more for a challenge without it,

Tried a new product today: Moroccanoil http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?brand=Moroccanoil&ref_=bl_sr_hpc&node=3760931

I used the shampoo, condish, and treatment. I really like it. Wearing a fro right now and I will retwist later. Will also post pics/more details about my washing process using the above process later today.

loolalooh

Update on me...

Well ladies, my twist lasted 3wks and 1 day. I could have made it another week, but I was starting to miss my hair and I have a formal function to attend tomorrow night. So today, I decided to take them out. The process wasn't as intense was I expected. Took about 2hrs. SHEA BUTTER is the best at untwisting twist that has been in awhile. It loosened up my shedded strands/knots. I think I would have had more for a challenge without it,

Tried a new product today: Moroccanoil http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?brand=Moroccanoil&ref_=bl_sr_hpc&node=3760931

I used the shampoo, condish, and treatment. I really like it. Wearing a fro right now and I will retwist later. Will also post pics/more details about my washing process using the above process later today.

Only 2hours? That's awesome. Yea, shea butter is the business!

Ooooh, I've been eyeing that Moroccanoil for the past couple of days. Do keep us posted on how you like it. :grinwink:

miss Congeniality

Normally, I part the front to the left or the right. Plus, I've been using whipped shea butter. It is really nice, but my twist were not holding. This week I just did the grab method and gel. My hair looks a lot better, but it is really stiff.

oooop2

Only 2hours? That's awesome. Yea, shea butter is the business!

Ooooh, I've been eyeing that Moroccanoil for the past couple of days. Do keep us posted on how you like it. :grinwink:

Loo...The moisturizing shampoos is AMAZING. I didn't dilute. Just dampened my hair and put it right on my scalp. Hadn't washed my hair in 3wks, so I gave it a good scrub. Hair felt GREAT t/o the wash and rinse. I wasn't WOWed by the moisturizing condish, but it smelt HEAVENLY. The oil is INSANELY expensive, and I didn't notice anything that GRAND about it either, but once again the smell is divine...But before casting judgement as to whether or not I would buy this product (oil and condish) again, I will use it 2-3 more times and decide. But I would DEFINITELY buy the shampoo again. My hair felt that great.

Normally, I part the front to the left or the right. Plus, I've been using whipped shea butter. It is really nice, but my twist were not holding. This week I just did the grab method and gel. My hair looks a lot better, but it is really stiff.

Yeah..I've added ORS to my twisting regime and it's great.

Update on me:

Hey....Just wanted to let you guys know that my style did last 3wks and 1 day. It would have lasted longer, but I had a formal function to attend last Saturday night, and wanted my hair to look fresh.

It was great not having to mess with my hair. Whatever chemicals are in that Silk2 elastic foam definitely agrees with my hair. The only draw back for my was that I truly missed washing/playing in my hair. So I've decided to have my hair professionally done every 6wks. Allowing the style to last for 3, then me doing my chucky twist/twistouts for another 3wks before seeing the stylist again.

Here is my hair over the 3wk period.

Feb 3 Day I got hair done.

Feb 3 vs Feb 10 comparison

Feb 17

Feb 17

Feb 25

Feb 25

Used pure shea butter on my ends to undo the twist. Worked like a charm. So undoing my twist wasn't as tedious as I had expected.

After washing, conditioning, and deep conditioning my hair, I wore a fro:

Then that night, I wet my hair and applied Devacurl Heaven in Hair deep conditioner. It's TERRIBLE. I've tried using this product about 3x and my hair hates it. Just leaves my hair feeling sticky. I just can't bring myself to trash it, so I keep trying to use it up. So after I rinsed it out, I added Giovanni leave-in condish, my shea mix, detangled using a wide then a small tooth comb, added some moroccan oil, and some ORS loc and twist to hair and twisted into med/large twist. After visiting my stylist, I'm not afraid of combing my hair anymore...LOL

I had a formal function to attend, so I wanted to wear my hair in my big defined twistouts.

Will wear my hair like this til tomorrow night when I wash and retwist again.

Thanks for letting me share :)

Ms Lala

ooop2 -Your hair is looking great. I'm glad you have found a stylist and a style that is working for you. I like your dress too.

bablou00

Hey ladies!! ooop2 your hair looks amazing!! I love the pic with the fro!!

I just did some small twist. I cant believe that its only taking me 3hrs to do my twist now. I really do feel like its because I am parting my hair in 4 sections and keeping my hair real detangled before I twist. I have been keeping my hair out in twist out for a couple of days before I re-twist. Im really starting to like my results. I cant wait till spring and summer gets here so I can get some growth!!! My hair seems to be at a stand still...winter always does this to me!! Hope everyone is well

oooop2

Hey ladies....How is everyone doing?

Well on Friday night, I had a Mardi gras party to attend. I had been wearing days old twistouts, and needed to redo my hair.

So on Friday at 12pm, I decided to try out a new poo/condish by Urban Therapy Twisted Sista De-Frizz Shampoo and Condish. So I saturated my hair with water and removed any tangles with my hands. I then applied the poo, rinsed, then applied the condish. I let it sit on my hair a few minutes then I rinsed. I then applied EVOO to Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment and applied to my hair. Then placed hair into chunky twists, covered with a plastic cap, and went under dryer. After 30 min, I rinsed out deep condish, keeping hair in chunky twist. I then squeezed the excess water out of hair.

1 twist at a time, I applied Giovanni Leave-In condish, Moroccan oil, and my shea butter mix. Then I used a big, followed by a small comb to remove any shed hair. Once I could run the small tooth comb through my hair, I applied ORS Twist n Loc gel and twisted. Did this process until totally head was retwisted.

I then let me hair air dry. At 8pm, I untwisted my hair for my party.

Here are the results:

Hair after the party:

So just wanted to show that you don't have to wear twists for days in order to have defined twistouts.

Ms Lala

Hey ladies....How is everyone doing?

Well on Friday night, I had a Mardi gras party to attend. I had been wearing days old twistouts, and needed to redo my hair.

So on Friday at 12pm, I decided to try out a new poo/condish by Urban Therapy Twisted Sista De-Frizz Shampoo and Condish. So I saturated my hair with water and removed any tangles with my hands. I then applied the poo, rinsed, then applied the condish. I let it sit on my hair a few minutes then I rinsed. I then applied EVOO to Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment and applied to my hair. Then placed hair into chunky twists, covered with a plastic cap, and went under dryer. After 30 min, I rinsed out deep condish, keeping hair in chunky twist. I then squeezed the excess water out of hair.

1 twist at a time, I applied Giovanni Leave-In condish, Moroccan oil, and my shea butter mix. Then I used a big, followed by a small comb to remove any shed hair. Once I could run the small tooth comb through my hair, I applied ORS Twist n Loc gel and twisted. Did this process until totally head was retwisted.

I then let me hair air dry. At 8pm, I untwisted my hair for my party.

Here are the results:

Hair after the party:

So just wanted to show that you don't have to wear twists for days in order to have defined twistouts.

I have tried doing a twist out w/o wearing my twists for atleast a day or two and it never comes out right. Maybe the key is wet hair and gel. I usually twist on dry or practicaly dry hair and I've pretty much stopped using gel except to slick down my edges. I"m going to give this a try.

oooop2

I have tried doing a twist out w/o wearing my twists for atleast a day or two and it never comes out right. Maybe the key is wet hair and gel. I usually twist on dry or practicaly dry hair and I've pretty much stopped using gel except to slick down my edges. I"m going to give this a try.

Yeah...Can't get defined t/o fast when done on dry hair. Definitely needs to be down damp on my hair. And I think the gel sets it. I actually just started using the gel. Never used to use it. But since using it, I've found that my hair is less frizzy and my twist/twistouts are more defined.

Ooop you've got this hair thing down like a pro! Lovely twistout!

Thanks....I'm constantly learning :)

Ms Lala

Ok I think I finally figured out how to get my pics to show. I hope this works.
-The pic of me in pink is a half wig. I've been wearing it for about 3 weeks to give my hair a break. I can tell that my hair has thickened up (even more) and it is feeling really healthy.
- The 2nd pic shows my latest twists. I decided to give the wig a break. THey are fat twists pulled up in a ponytail bun w/bangs. I did them in about 2 hours on damp hair so my hair has quite a bit of shrinkage.

Attachments

• halfwignoface.jpg
    halfwignoface.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 50
  • twistbun.JPG
    twistbun.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 64

oooop2

Ok I think I finally figured out how to get my pics to show. I hope this works.
-The pic of me in pink is a half wig. I've been wearing it for about 3 weeks to give my hair a break. I can tell that my hair has thickened up (even more) and it is feeling really healthy.
- The 2nd pic shows my latest twists. I decided to give the wig a break. THey are fat twists pulled up in a ponytail bun w/bangs. I did them in about 2 hours on damp hair so my hair has quite a bit of shrinkage.

I can't wait to see your growth at the end of this challenge. Love your new twist style :)

How is everyone doing? Things are pretty quite this go around. Maybe twisting for growth has seen it's final days....

Update of me. Currently wearing twistouts. Discovered a new product at TJMaxx called UrbanTherapy Twist Sista De-Frizz Shampoo and Condish. My hair seems to like it.

Remember challenge ends Apr 4 :)

Ms Lala

I can't wait to see your growth at the end of this challenge. Love your new twist style :)

How is everyone doing? Things are pretty quite this go around. Maybe twisting for growth has seen it's final days....

Update of me. Currently wearing twistouts. Discovered a new product at TJMaxx called UrbanTherapy Twist Sista De-Frizz Shampoo and Condish. My hair seems to like it.

Remember challenge ends Apr 4 :)

That pic is absolutely beautiful. Now why you gotta go posting about new products. I'm trying not to buy anything.

oooop2

That pic is absolutely beautiful. Now why you gotta go posting about new products. I'm trying not to buy anything.

Thanks Lala..I was trying to teach my baby how to pucker up..LOL Yeah, I really like the Urbantherapy poo and condish. Works well on my thick hair. Have to go back to TJMaxx to see if I find anymore.

Ms Lala

:cry2: I just had another setback. I am so tired of this. I am thinking about giving up on my goal of waist length and just maintaining.
I did wash n go's for the past 2 days. I figured it wouldn't hurt as long as I washed and dc'd today.... WRONG:wallbash:. My hair was soooooooo matted and tangled. It was horrible. I had to cut off 1 inch pieces in some places. I had knots everywhere that I couldn't get out and had to cut. I am so upset. I'm thinking of just cutting back to bsl again. I think the products I used contributed to it. My Hairveda products had my hair flourishing, I thought I would give EQP DPR-11 another try... my hair had no slip at all and did not feel moisturizied. I have 4 big braids right now cuz I just don't want to be bothered w/styling. I may wear a wig next week. :ohwell:

Ms.Christ3n

Here are my new micro twists for the beginning of this Challenge. (The ends are loosely twisted.) I'll keep them in for 3-4 weeks. Regimen in fotki.

This is my starting length. (Show on bigger twists from a couple weeks ago.) Not much of a difference from the last Challenge because I've trimmed.

Another shot of the micro twists.
I love your twists loolalooh! Gorgeous!

miss Congeniality

Ms LaLa, sorry to hear about that. Sometimes it feels like you take one step forward and two steps back.

Put a set of twist in yesterday, hope to keep them in till the end of the challenge.

oooop2

:cry2: I just had another setback. I am so tired of this. I am thinking about giving up on my goal of waist length and just maintaining.
I did wash n go's for the past 2 days. I figured it wouldn't hurt as long as I washed and dc'd today.... WRONG:wallbash:. My hair was soooooooo matted and tangled. It was horrible. I had to cut off 1 inch pieces in some places. I had knots everywhere that I couldn't get out and had to cut. I am so upset. I'm thinking of just cutting back to bsl again. I think the products I used contributed to it. My Hairveda products had my hair flourishing, I thought I would give EQP DPR-11 another try... my hair had no slip at all and did not feel moisturizied. I have 4 big braids right now cuz I just don't want to be bothered w/styling. I may wear a wig next week. :ohwell:

Oh man...I'm sorry. What products did you use in order to try to detangle. I found when all else fail, pure shea butter works. I just scoop a lot out with my finger and massage it into the tangled area. I just keep twirling it between my fingers until my strands start to loosen. Then I slowly separate until I work the mattes out. You have to be patient to do it, but it definitely works on my hair.

Ms Lala

Oh man...I'm sorry. What products did you use in order to try to detangle. I found when all else fail, pure shea butter works. I just scoop a lot out with my finger and massage it into the tangled area. I just keep twirling it between my fingers until my strands start to loosen. Then I slowly separate until I work the mattes out. You have to be patient to do it, but it definitely works on my hair.

I think the problem came w/me letting my hair shrink up, I haven't let my hair do that in a looooong time because I know it tangles. I used the Taliah Waajid Mist for detangling, typically it works well. I also used olive oil. I tried picking the knots out w/ a pin too but some of them were just too bad. I'm glad my hair is thick because it's not noticeable.

virtuenow

I think the problem came w/me letting my hair shrink up, I haven't let my hair do that in a looooong time because I know it tangles. I used the Taliah Waajid Mist for detangling, typically it works well. I also used olive oil. I tried picking the knots out w/ a pin too but some of them were just too bad. I'm glad my hair is thick because it's not noticeable.

Sorry to hear about the setback. Sometimes when I can't get out a tangle w/a detangler/conditioner, I let it dry. For some reason, some tangles come out better on dry hair. You can pull the strands out of the tangle one strand at a time (better on dry hair). I hate to think that you can't let your hair dry naturallly w/o getting irreversible tangles. I tend to think this way about my hair and I refuse to do anything near a wash-n-go, but I didn't know the risk was this baddd!

loolalooh

Sorry to hear, Ms Lala. Please don't cut back to BSL. I know cutting 1 inch sucks, but you'll gain it back in a couple of months. Hang in there, girl. It sounds like it's a wrap on the wash-n-go's.

Ms Lala

Sorry to hear about the setback. Sometimes when I can't get out a tangle w/a detangler/conditioner, I let it dry. For some reason, some tangles come out better on dry hair. You can pull the strands out of the tangle one strand at a time (better on dry hair). I hate to think that you can't let your hair dry naturallly w/o getting irreversible tangles. I tend to think this way about my hair and I refuse to do anything near a wash-n-go, but I didn't know the risk was this baddd!

I didn't think about letting it dry. I was working w/damp hair.

Sorry to hear, Ms Lala. Please don't cut back to BSL. I know cutting 1 inch sucks, but you'll gain it back in a couple of months. Hang in there, girl. It sounds like it's a wrap on the wash-n-go's.

I think I'm going to straighten my hair next month to check the length and determine whether or not I will cut. It's too hard to tell now because different parts shrink up more than other. And I am definitely done w/the wash n go's. I knew better I was just trying to do something quick w/my hair.

bablou00

Hey ladies so I think this challenge is getting ready to come to an end huh?? I have been traveling so much this pass month so I havent been on here that much but lurking here and there at work or on my phone. I plan to put up pics from my last twist in my fotki tomorrow night after I get out of a class. My hair definitely stops growing thru the winter. I have had no growth since Decemberish...kinda sucks but Im okay with it. I know spring and summer are around the corner and I will see some growth when I start washing daily. Everyones hair looks great and I cant wait to see everyones results

loolalooh

Hey ladies so I think this challenge is getting ready to come to an end huh?? I have been traveling so much this pass month so I havent been on here that much but lurking here and there at work or on my phone. I plan to put up pics from my last twist in my fotki tomorrow night after I get out of a class. My hair definitely stops growing thru the winter. I have had no growth since Decemberish...kinda sucks but Im okay with it. I know spring and summer are around the corner and I will see some growth when I start washing daily. Everyones hair looks great and I cant wait to see everyones results

Yep, it is! It's been fun doing this challenge with you all; it really keeps me motivated. Bablou, I know what you mean about slow winter growth. I think my hair is the same way; I'm still trying to figure that out. Lol. Spring and summer, here we come.

loolalooh

CHECKIN: Twisting every 3-4 weeks is working well for me. It helps me keep my hands off my ends. Here's my new do for the next cycle. Cornrows into twists. More pics in the fotki.

How's everyone else doing?

laurend

Sorry for not posting for a while, I broke my wrist and the best I can do right now is bun. I started a thread about Mwedzi twisting my hair for me. This week is the first week I really didn't have pain so I'm back to typing, yeah! Anyway sorry ladies for not being activity in this thread and I apologize again.:grin:

loolalooh

Sorry for not posting for a while, I broke my wrist and the best I can do right now is bun. I started a thread about Mwedzi twisting my hair for me. This week is the first week I really didn't have pain so I'm back to typing, yeah! Anyway sorry ladies for not being activity in this thread and I apologize again.:grin:

Sorry about your wrist, laurend. Hope it heals soon. :grinwink: That was really sweet of Mwedzi.