W"HIP" Length 2012 Challenge!

leona2025

I want to join this challenge. I'm going for HL this year and I want to get all the challenges from MBL to HL, lol.

A) List your Reggie: My reggie is simple. I'm washing and conditioning 1 to 2 times a week. I alternate between protein and moisturizing conditioner. I air dry 100% of the time and I may flat iron if I feel like it, but I usually bun or ponytail because I'm lazy. I do flexi rod sets on dry hair. I plan to do more braid outs and in the Spring/Summer I'm going to cowash more.

B) # of inches til whip or hip length: I don't exactly know:ohwell:

C) Tell us your LHCF HL goal idol: Everyone on LHCF. Regardless of length the heads of hair I see here are just so pretty. A few of my favorites are @mwedzi, @baladi0822, @LynnieB, andpreciousfa02

Pictures from September and December in my Siggie.

mEmYSELFaNDj

These are my starting pics for 2012. I trimmed 1.5"-3" (depending on the area) trying to even out my layers and get rid of a see thru tail that was forming. C'mon w'hip length and beyond in 2012. I'm going to be protective styling under weaves/wigs 99% of the time. And making a commitment to follow my regimen.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325377104833.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325377104833.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 84
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325377218523.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325377218523.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 97

DesignerCurls

Ok so I still have not done an official length check. I'm trying to wait as long as I can. So I don't have an length check pic yet

A) List your Reggie
~Wash once a week (for now)
~Deep condition once a week
~Henna once a month
~Protein treatment once a month (to restore curl because henna loosens them)
~PS most of the time & if I wear my hair out, it's on the weekends

B) # of inches til whip or hip length
Not sure yet...hope not far!

C) Tell us your LHCF HL goal inspiration
All the ladies with healthy WL or longer hair

eta:
4" til WL & 10" til whip length (hoping for 1" or so a month) :yep: :pray:

starting pic (same as siggie)

Attachments

• Dec'11 length.JPG
    Dec'11 length.JPG
    455.8 KB · Views: 48

bigbrowneyez

Hello ladies, I took a two week hiatus cuz I was horribly upset and sad. I went to the salon for my relaxer on dec 17 and i had 2in from WL on the left and 1.5in on the right. I wanted to the stylist to simply even it up, a .5in trim. My ends were already in perfect shape, I just wanted it even cuz I had planned to wear my hair straight for the holidays. Surprise surprise, I walk out with a 2in trim. :sad: So that's it. I give stylists the benefit of the doubt time and time again but I'm officially becoming a self-trimmer (if at all). I threw away my shears and i'm not buying any til 2013. I should have been at WL sooo long ago but those trims...

Enough venting, a setback is a comeback right ladies? And this gives me a fresh start so I can see exactly how much growth I can attain on a monthly and year basis. I'm PSing 100% this year. I'm doing the 6month stretch that I've always wanted to do. I'm measuring and taking pics monthly to personally track my progress. I won't post a pic until my 6month relaxer. 2012 is my year.

A) List your Reggie: 100% PS (mostly buns), Joico shampoo and conditioner, GPB protein deep conditioning 1x/month, Argan oil and NTM leave-in

B) # of inches til whip or hip length: 4in to WL, 6in to WHIP

Attachments

• 12.2011.jpg
    12.2011.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 47
  • dec2011.jpg
    dec2011.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 47

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
These are my starting pics for 2012. I trimmed 1.5"-3" (depending on the area) trying to even out my layers and get rid of a see thru tail that was forming. C'mon w'hip length and beyond in 2012. I'm going to be protective styling under weaves/wigs 99% of the time. And making a commitment to follow my regimen.

Your hair looks amazing!!

Sent from a land where women rule.....

bigbrowneyez

Starting the year off with new color and a trim. Hiding my hair in braids until April 2012!

Nice color!!

MissAlinaRose

@MissAlinaRose are you serious? Your hair is amazing! Come on in! I'm not WL yet either.

Thannk you for your kindness bebezazueta. I'll go ahead and take the plunge.

A) My regimen goes as follow:
Wash & Style Routine once a week-

• shampoo with giovanni smooth as silk shampoo
  • condition/detangle with pantene's curly series
  • moisturize with giovanni direct
  • style with x-treme gel or fantasia ic
If I decide to do tiny braids using my own natural hair, I will co-wash every day/every other day with pantene's curly series, add a spray leave in (Aussie Moist Hair Insurance), and xtreme gel to make the ends curly up. I keep the braids in for 3-4 weeks at a time (summer time mostly).

B) I am maybe 2-3inches to full waist. I'm not completely sure.

C) HL goal idols: Longhairdontcare2011 (not sure if she's on LHCF) and mwedzi (not sure if she's HL but her hair is the biz)

D) Starting Pic is from September 2011

I also want to attach a starting pic of my small braids that I like to do without extensions because I would like to see how much longer they will look at the W'Hip length stage.

Attachments

• tinybraids.jpg
    tinybraids.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 54

anon123

Thannk you for your kindness @bebezazueta. I'll go ahead and take the plunge.

A) My regimen goes as follow:
Wash & Style Routine once a week-

• shampoo with giovanni smooth as silk shampoo
  • condition/detangle with pantene's curly series
  • moisturize with giovanni direct
  • style with x-treme gel or fantasia ic
If I decide to do tiny braids using my own natural hair, I will co-wash every day/every other day with pantene's curly series, add a spray leave in (Aussie Moist Hair Insurance), and xtreme gel to make the ends curly up. I keep the braids in for 3-4 weeks at a time (summer time mostly).

B) I am maybe 2-3inches to full waist. I'm not completely sure.

C) HL goal idols: Longhairdontcare2011 (not sure if she's on LHCF) and @mwedzi (not sure if she's HL but her hair is the biz)

D) Starting Pic is from September 2011

I also want to attach a starting pic of my small braids that I like to do without extensions because I would like to see how much longer they will look at the W'Hip length stage.

:cry2: i desperately wish i could have braids like yours. how long did it take you to put them in? even more, how long did it take you to take them out?

you and i are about the same length :wink2:

MissAlinaRose

:cry2: i desperately wish i could have braids like yours. how long did it take you to put them in? even more, how long did it take you to take them out?

you and i are about the same length :wink2:

@mwedzi
:blush: Thank you, and I love your hair!

I think for these braids it took me a good 16 hours over a period of 3 days (starting Friday). Also, it took me about a week to take out, but I think it's worth it considering that it's a style I don't have to worry about for the summer.

Even though that might sound bad it's not. I never do my braids (or take them out for that matter) in one sitting. I refuse to let my hair hold me hostage :lol: I always do just enough for what my time schedule permits and put it up in a creative style until it is all done.

Hope that helps! I would love to see your hair in some small braids. I think they would look awesome!!

ETA: I would also like to say that the key to my braids is that I like to braid the small section all the way down. Some people can braid half of a section and leave the rest out to make it "curly" and mine doesn't really curl on it's own like that. Plus I like the hang time from braiding it all the way down. They are often mistaken for sisterlocks. :grin: I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

regina07

Happy New Year ladies!

Was in Paris for New Years and came back frustrated with my hair. I tried a rollerset before I left -- EPIC FAIL -- and had to buy leave-in conditioner because it rained and I forgot my hair products. To top it off, I realized that most of my Sep shedding was from my crown so I had short curly hairs sprouting up all over the top of my head (not cute)

Maybe I'm frustrated because I'm realizing how much work growing really long hair is and I don't know if I can handle it at WHIP/TBL. Or maybe it's because every strand of hair seems to be a different freakin' length. Or maybe because I'm not enjoying it straight or curly -- straight exaggerates the uneven ends and curly gets matted and tangled no matter how much product I put on it.

Back to bunning tomorrow ... :)

Carrie A

Hey guys I guess I'll post my start pics in here too. I've been having issues with my ends. I'm experiencing end envy and insecurity. Tried to trim but not a great result. But I did make some progress this past year. The majority of my hair is MBL with the tail hovering over waist. We'll see how far I can go this year. @mwedzi Where can I buy some quality moderately priced starter hair sticks?

Attachments

• Dec 2010.jpg
    Dec 2010.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Dec2011progress .jpeg
    Dec2011progress .jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 96

classychic1908

I'd like to join!!

A) List your Reggie
I cowash weekly or sometimes every other week. I baggy some nights and use a moisture spritz most days. I wear my hair in a bun most of the time. On the weekends I might wear it down shake and go style. I only use heat once or twice a year.

Not sure...

C) Tell us your LHCF HL goal idol
LynnieB :notworthy

anon123

Hey guys I guess I'll post my start pics in here too. I've been having issues with my ends. I'm experiencing end envy and insecurity. Tried to trim but not a great result. But I did make some progress this past year. The majority of my hair is MBL with the tail hovering over waist. We'll see how far I can go this year. @mwedzi Where can I buy some quality moderately priced starter hair sticks?

I'm not sure what you like or what your price range is, but you could try Crystal Mood.

wyldcurlz

Ladies, i'm having trouble with tangles, knots and fur balls (yes. fur balls. Lol)

How often do you detangle or comb through your hair in general?

I assume part of the problem is because i only do it when my hair is wet and loaded with conditioner, but all these tangles - I can't deal with it anymore.

On top of that, my ends are sooo thin (hormonal issue according to my dermatologist)...actually my hair is thinning throughout. It looks horrible. I've got some length to it, but...losing so much in the detangling process or when trying to style it is scaring me.

Please let me know what you're doing to stop tangles.

cocosweet

I know the year is five days old, but here are my starting pics:
I'm still tweaking my regimen but I think I'll use heat more often so I'll get fewer ssks. DC twice monthly, use Infusium 23 several times a week. I hope to get vitamins by the end of the month. I'm looking at Nioxin.

Attachments

• am I still MBL.JPG
    am I still MBL.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 78
  • new years length check .JPG
    new years length check .JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 643

beauti

And to @beauti @rririla @Mische I'm adding yall beautiful heads of hair to this challenge. :look:

aw hell it was quite ambitious of me to sign up for that HL in 2012 challenge so why not this one,too! more than likely i'll just make it it waist but lemme dream! :lol:

A) List your Reggie
dont really have one, the only thing that is consistant is my protective styling by hiding my hair. products i'm using right now are:CON creme shampoo, silicon mix bamboo con, mixture of suave coconut con and castor oil as a moisterizer
B) # of inches til whip or hip length not sure...will post starting pic on jan1st

@Babygurl
@sylver2
@FlowerHair
@BeautifulESQ
@silverlotus
@Candy828
@BostonMaria
@MsKibibi
@divinempress

*used to stalk their albums faithfully when i first started my journey
they might not all be at HL but they inspired me nontheless :yep:[/QUOTE]

my starting pic

remnant

:peek:
Stop on in and introduce yourself.
A) List your Reggie

Hi I'm remnant :wave:
A) Reggie: I'm in the Wig Challenge 2012 and HYH Challenge
Protective style (cornrows) for 4/5 weeks
Cowash every other week
ACV rinse as needed
DC every other week with avocado + natural oils + sheabutter+ coconut milk + Le Kair olive oil cholesterol creme
Moisturise and seal as needed with Scurl like moisturiser and natural oils
Henna every 3 to 6 months

B) IDK I'll measure next week

C)Njoy but I don't know if she's HL already.

classychic1908

Ladies, i'm having trouble with tangles, knots and fur balls (yes. fur balls. Lol)

How often do you detangle or comb through your hair in general?

I assume part of the problem is because i only do it when my hair is wet and loaded with conditioner, but all these tangles - I can't deal with it anymore.

On top of that, my ends are sooo thin (hormonal issue according to my dermatologist)...actually my hair is thinning throughout. It looks horrible. I've got some length to it, but...losing so much in the detangling process or when trying to style it is scaring me.

Please let me know what you're doing to stop tangles.

wyldcurlz
For me the best way to avoid tangles is to keep my hair uber moisturized. I have coarse, dry hair, so I leave in my DC (AOWC) and seal with castor oil and gel. I swear by my aloe glycerin mix for moisturizing my hair between wash days. This might sound strange, but using gel to keep my hair smooth also helps me to reduce tangling. Oh and baggying several times a week.

Side note perhaps defining your individual curls might help reduce tangling as well. The curly primer method might be helpful.

I use my fingers to detangle my hair once a week or every other week. I find that salt added to my conditioner gives me incredible slip and I detangle under the shower stream.

Have you tried oil rinsing or finger detangling hair after a hot oil treatment? Or if all else fails break out a serum high in cones and just clarify more often to balance things out.

I hope you are able to find something that works for you!

Last edited:

LaVgirl

Sorry I'm late with my starting pic.

I now have 5 inches to reach hip length, if I'm measuring correctly (hopefully I am). Is whip length the halfway mark between waist and the hip bone?

Attachments

• 101_3342.JPG
    101_3342.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 63

pre_medicalrulz

^^^^ Yes, it is.

I did a quick length check on wet hair this morning and it looks like I'm 2 inches from WL. Operative words are 'looks like'. :lachen:

W'HIP" may not be a fairytale length for me after all. But I'm def not growing longer than HL. :nono:

regina07

pre_medicalrulz;15111077I did a quick length check on wet hair this morning and it looks like I'm 2 inches from WL. Operative words are 'looks like'. :lachen: W'HIP" may not be a fairytale length for me after all. But I'm def not growing longer than HL. :nono:[/QUOTE said:
I wonder how many folks said "not growing longer than xx" and then went beyond? Lawd knows I'm trying not to get sucked into wanting classic after claiming no longer than tailbone! :grin:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I wonder how many folks said "not growing longer than xx" and then went beyond? Lawd knows I'm trying not to get sucked into wanting classic after claiming no longer than tailbone! :grin:

Famous last words. :lol: I came to the board wanting MBL, ended up saying that I wanted w'hip with my tail barely touching HL. Now I'm talking full TBL. :look: I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with that. I just can't image myself classic or more. :nono: (famous last words) :lachen:

remnant, I'm flattered. And my longest layer is at HL.

MissAlinaRose

regina07

I'm guilty of this too. My original goal length was a full APL. Then I got there and it seemed too short so I changed to MBL. Now look at me; I am in the w'hip length challenge! lol I'm done for real this time though.

pre_medicalrulz

Nah my hair's to thick to manage at HL. I cry washing my hair at MBL so uhm yea...WHip is the stopping point for me. :) regina07

Sent from a land where women rule.....

MissMed07

Hey girls!

Just rejoining this site after a break. I would love to join in on this challenge. My hair is 4a/b and is natural. As of yesterday its 21 inches long after a trim. I am shooting for 25 inches (post trim) so 26-26.5 just to be safe.

I typically keep my hair weaved up but am giving it a break for the month of feb. before I put in another weave. i intend on weaving it up in two month segments (march 3-may 3; june 3rd -august 3rd; august 3rd to otober 3rd) with a break and length check in october.