Weave it Up Challenge 2012 (6 Month Edition)

GeorginaSparks

Do any of you know the main difference between Indian and Remy hair?

I've been buying Remy for years now spending at least $85 or more on one bag/box/bundle of hair; today I bought Indian hair-- a cute wet and wavy for the summer-- and when I checked out it was $34 for TWO!!! Is there a significant difference in quality or have I been wasting money all this time?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
Here's a good video explaining the difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saHf0-5cn7I&feature=g-user-u

Carmelella

Wondering if in terms of doing my own sew in if I should try try and try again?? So far braiding my own hair has been the hardest part . Pay someone to just do that?

Nayna

Unbothered
As my hair gets thicker and longer I find that I cant use my trusty old braid pattern any longer :( A stylist friend of mine told me the circular beehive pattern is best for longer hair BUT my hair is the thickest at the crown and my weave base was lumpy when I used it.

Do any ladies with long/thick hair have braid pattern suggestions?

This is the way I do my weaves, except I bring the circle down more because I like it as flat as possible. So I braid straight down until past my crown and then I do my circle.
http://youtu.be/wylbKhdQ49w

So I finally took out my booty length Senegalese twists. I was loving them and I can't wait to do them again in the winter, lol. Next I will be installing Senghori Shells Natural Rhythms in 20inches and 16inches. I will have pics on Sunday because I'm letting my hair rock for a week.

Last edited:

SkySurfer

I'm taking a break from crochet weaves with Senegalese twists.
Who knows how long they'll be in..i'm crap at keeping a style in for long :p :spinning:

lexxi

So I took my wig out and gave my leave out some rest with some kinky twist that I plan to keep in til aug 17 than I'm getting my hair done for my bday on aug 24. Now I didn't braid it tight on the edges so if you see naps why.

Attachments

• image-455364673.jpg
    image-455364673.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3003547017.jpg
    image-3003547017.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3159863497.jpg
    image-3159863497.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 47
  • image-268541303.jpg
    image-268541303.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 48

Oneprettypa

lexxi said:
So I took my wig out and gave my leave out some rest with some kinky twist that I plan to keep in til aug 17 than I'm getting my hair done for my bday on aug 24. Now I didn't braid it tight on the edges so if you see naps why.

That's my bday too!!! :) I'm getting mine done again for labor day though.

beana

Nayna thanks!! These seems like a good variation of the circular braid pattern that would work well for me. I can sew in a circle for others, just not on myself!! lol

Nayna

Unbothered
@beana Yup. I do it on my clients and they largely prefer it. Especially the long haired ones. Much less bulk and easier to take out. When I do it on myself the circle can be hard, especially on the right side but I think it's one of the best ways to braid.

ms.blue

Do any of you know the main difference between Indian and Remy hair?

I've been buying Remy for years now spending at least $85 or more on one bag/box/bundle of hair; today I bought Indian hair-- a cute wet and wavy for the summer-- and when I checked out it was $34 for TWO!!! Is there a significant difference in quality or have I been wasting money all this time?

Authentic virgin hair is expensive so it is highly unlikely that the hair is good virgin hair. Remy hair and virgin hair are two different things. Remy hair means all the cuticles are in the same direction w/ cuticles still attached. Processed hair can be remy hair and so could be virgin hair. Virgin hair just means that the hair is not processed for color or texture but just b/c someone buys virgin hair doesn't mean it is remy b/c the cuticles could be misaligned.

ms.blue

Had this install a little more than 4 weeks and I'm sick of it. I'm just itching for a straight weave right now.

virtuenow

I just reinstalled last week. This should be my last set of Bohyme (kinky curly wave). My hair was right on track :). What are you ladies up to?

irisak

I just did another sew in after my 2 week break. I really think I'm getting the hang of these lace closures.

ForumRunner_20120720_231845.jpg

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

virtuenow

Does anyone have tips on doing self install for full sew ins? I want to get the hang of this. irisak is that a full sew in/did you do it yourself? Looks pretty & natural.

irisak

virtuenow thank you much. Yep a full sewin with one of my beloved lace closures lol. I self install and have been for years but just started using lace closures and figuring out how to do a good closure app.

Eta
For a full sewin I use a net and sew on that instead of my braids. I sew under the net at the perimeter to hide the braids and wefts. What part of the full sewin process are you having trouble with?
Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Last edited:

virtuenow

@virtuenow thank you much. Yep a full sewin with one of my beloved lace closures lol. I self install and have been for years but just started using lace closures and figuring out how to do a good closure app.

Eta
For a full sewin I use a net and sew on that instead of my braids. I sew under the net at the perimeter to hide the braids and wefts. What part of the full sewin process are you having trouble with?

irisak Thanks, I have trouble with hiding/laying the front tracks and closing everything up. I did a self-made closure. I went to the BSS and they do not have kinky-curly or yaki closures. For the pattern, I braid all my straight back and put two braids up front going down to my ears. I haven't found any good videos for doing a full sew in w/closure. How far back should the closure be? Do you lay the front tracks all the way across the front or do you leave a part? Do you lay them so you can flip your hair back? What kind of net do you use? Is it the hard, wire like net, or a soft mesh/nylon (like stocking cap). Are you able to wash your hair (effectively)? Lots of questions!

irisak

virtuenow said:
irisak Thanks, I have trouble with hiding/laying the front tracks and closing everything up. I did a self-made closure. I went to the BSS and they do not have kinky-curly or yaki closures. For the pattern, I braid all my straight back and put two braids up front going down to my ears. I haven't found any good videos for doing a full sew in w/closure. How far back should the closure be? Do you lay the front tracks all the way across the front or do you leave a part? Do you lay them so you can flip your hair back? What kind of net do you use? Is it the hard, wire like net, or a soft mesh/nylon (like stocking cap). Are you able to wash your hair (effectively)? Lots of questions!

virtuenow I place my closure first but mine looks like a mini lacefront and isfrom onyc, but for the type of closure you're talking about you want it slightly in front of your crown for the most natural placement. I use a mesh stocking cap like net. For what you're trying to do you're going to sew the back and then as you approach the crown begone to sew ins circle. At the top which should be slightly in front of your crown (think bangs and where they start from) and then sew in a circle until it's closed. Another way to covet the front (please only try this with curly lol) is to reverse track at the very front and then flip it back. Itgives extra volume and hides the weft at the same time. Hth

Last edited:

irisak

virtuenow said:

Missed some ?'s lol. I wash fine. I use an applicator bottle and diluted shampoo. The only way to get a part at the front and show scalp is with an invisible part. And those only look good with glue which is a no no for me.

irisak

@irisak do you know of any good youtube tutorials?
virtuenow I've been doing my own sewins for so long that I only watched youtube to learn how to do a closure app and an invisible part and that was awhile ago. I'm at work now, but I can look around when I get home and see if I can find any helpful tutorials.

SkySurfer

Installed my crochet weave. It's a bit longer this time, but still with freetress water wave.
I REALLY need to try and keep it in long and not give in to my hair whims.
Wish me luck, I'm going for 8 weeks.

polished07

Prepping for my upart/closure application I think I want to try something different and put it behind my hairline just a bit I have to see though the worst part about prepping for a closure is you have to braid neat and flat :-/ it will only take 5 mins to sew everything down lol I'll post pics when I'm done the goal is to retighten in 2 weeks and keep it on 4 weeks at a time well see how this goes so that means I'll be washing on a schedule again but the longer I hide my hair the longer my hands are out of

YoursTrulyRE

Haven't updated in awhile but I lasted 12 weeks in my last install. Went on 7/27 and got it reinstalled (reused my onyc kinky curly). My stylist says I got some good growth some I'm going to try to keep this install in for 12 weeks as well.

For those ladies looking for a good moisturizer for your braids underneath, I've been using Shea Moisture Smoothie and it works great. My stylist said that my hair was so moisturizer that take down was a breeze for her.

polished07

Ok so I'm loving my new upart def gonna be doable for the fall and winter :)

This is virgin braz hair from aliexpress.com queen hair products and lace closure from sunny may wigs off aliexpress also! Very affordable this is my second batch and my hair I got a year ago is still going strong but I ombred the ends and wanted darker hair for the fall

Attachments

• image-3549020475.jpg
    image-3549020475.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 113

GeorginaSparks

I have an install using True Glory hair in Atlanta. It's been 2 weeks and it's my 1st straight hair so I'm trying to get used to it. Im learning to take care of my leave out and corn rows. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

SkySurfer

Rinsed my crochet weave for the first time this week. It was much needed, i've been going hard with my runs in the morning and I sweat heavily in my head.

Feels good , man.

camilla

ok ladies im back with install picts virgin brazilian aka chinese hair install excuse the dazed look of the close up blame it on the ....:lachen: the very tips are blond i self install so after four weeks i get bored about to take it out and reinstall waiting on my peruvian and brazilian curl to come

Attachments

• self install.JPG
    self install.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 120
  • white party.JPG
    white party.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 109
  • me3.JPG
    me3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 101
  • me2.JPG
    me2.JPG