2012 Natural Products Challenge

greenandchic

Happy New Year Ladies!

Last night I oiled my scalp with my coffee oil mix.

prettybyrd - In terms of DC, I usually mix oils, butters, honey, yogurt, etc with existing "regular" conditioners - especially if they are on the weak side. I have yet to make one from scratch yet.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Last night, I steamed with Marie Dean Oat & Berry dc, shampood with Kyra's Ultimate Honey Butter poo bar and cowashed with Kyra's Ultimate Hydrating Hemp Conditioner. :grin:

Lita

Last night, I steamed with Marie Dean Oat & Berry dc, shampood with Kyra's Ultimate Honey Butter poo bar and cowashed with Kyra's Ultimate Hydrating Hemp Conditioner. :grin:

tiffers how was the oat & berry dc.....Details please,you know i like details...lol

Happy Hair Growing!

ecornett

so i made something yummy and yall gotta try it, my curls popped like crazy with this homemade deep condish please try it.
1 avocado
1 banana
1tbs acv
2oz water
1tbs castor oil
1 tbs jojoba oil
2t agave nectar

blend until it looks like conditioner and enjoy the awesomeness

Marino

Happy new year ladies !
add me please to this challenge, it 'll be my first one.
I'll add details and photos later

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
how was the oat & berry dc.....Details please,you know i like details...lol

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita I liked it! After steaming with it, my hair felt soft, fluffy and flexible. It's a protein conditioner, so it didn't give my any slip. My hair felt good though. When I rinsed it out and was scrubbing my fingers across my scalp, my hair felt a lot more elastic. And it smells yummeh too. :lick:

Cendra

so i made something yummy and yall gotta try it, my curls popped like crazy with this homemade deep condish please try it.
1 avocado
1 banana
1tbs acv
2oz water
1tbs castor oil
1 tbs jojoba oil
2t agave nectar

Did you get the agave nectar from a grocery store or health food store?

greenandchic

Tonight I washed my hair with Uncle Harry's Natural Products Soapless Shampoo and sitting with Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner on my head.

Marino - Welcome!

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Can I be added if I need to dye my hair? Dye is the only thing that allows moisture to penetrate my strands, so I need to do it about every six months.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

QUEENJAMES231

1 avocado
1 banana
1tbs acv
2oz water
1tbs castor oil
1 tbs jojoba oil
2t agave nectar

I'm gonna try this!

Sent from my Eris using Eris

MaraWithLove

I'm in!

1. Current length: NL in the back, about chin length on sides and brushing bridge of nose in front

2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other
Natural

3. Hair goals for the year.
Grow healthy and retain

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.

Shampoo and Co-wash 1x week (alternating), DC 1x a week, full henna 1x every 2 months with cassia conditioning treatments in between, Ayurvedic tea rinse 1x a week, M&S every other day, ghe 5 nights a week, hot oil massage 2x a week (on wash day and tea rinse day).
So far my products are from Donna Marie and Marie Dean, I also have ayurvedic hair oils and powders which I use (bhringraj and brahmi), as well as cassia.

5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)
Cones, sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, formaldehyde, artificial dyes.

Starting pics attached.

Has anyone tried Bask's Y.A.M. Nectar Intense Honey Hair Nourisher?
I'm thinking of ordering a few things from Shescentit and maybe Darcy's Botanicals as well.

Attachments

• 2012-01-02 12.38.22.jpg
    2012-01-02 12.38.22.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 2012-01-02 12.40.59.jpg
    2012-01-02 12.40.59.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2012-01-02 13.53.16.jpg
    2012-01-02 13.53.16.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 12

prettybyrd

I found this online and it may be interesting to whomever decides to make their own hair conditioners. Im not officially in this challenge but I am looking forward to using and making more natural products this new year.

Hair conditioner sample recipef

I think that I can use this to create a deep conditioner! I have a sheet just like this for a leave-in that I can't wait to try. This inspires me to do some research.

I would of course leave out the ingredients that I'd need a degree in Chemistry to pronounce or know what they are. I was amazed to learn that you can buy panthenol (b5) and hydrolized wheat protein on amazon!

Last edited:

NaturalPath

I think that I can use this to create a deep conditioner! I have a sheet just like this for a leave-in that I can't wait to try. This inspires me to do some research.

I would of course leave out the ingredients that I'd need a degree in Chemistry to pronounce or know what they are. I was amazed to learn that you can buy panthenol (b5) and hydrolized wheat protein on amazon!

Do you have a link for the leave-in conditioner? I love KCC but for $12/8oz I am interested in just making my own personal supply.

TIA

Cendra

Baggied last night with distilled water/coconut oil.

Scrubbed my scalp today with brown sugar and olive oil. Shampooed with Eli's Organic Black Soap shampoo + tea tree oil; DC with part of my last jar of Queen Helene cholesterol conditioner + honey; final rinse with ACV; spritzed with distilled water/aloe/rosemary oil and sealed with coconut and castor oil; twisted my hair.

Note: I'm exhausting the Queen Helene conditioner bit by bit, don't want to throw it out.

Lucky's Mom

Great Challenge!!
I am in!
~Questions to Start the Challenge~

1. Current length - Mid back to hip - I think :look:
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other - Natural since 1998
3. Hair goals for the year. - Thickness and continued growth
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.

Cornrows, individual braids.... condition washing, conditioning Washing and quarterly blow drys....

Products:

Etae Shampoo
Oyin HoneyHemp conditioner
Unpetroleum Jelly
Castor oil
coconut oil
aloe vera juice and gel
Aphogee every 3 to 4 months
Nature's gate conditioner
Distilled Water

5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)

I avoid most commercial products.....especially sulfate based shampoos:lick:

thaidreams

Can you please add me to this challenge?

Here's my starting pic (please excuse the face):

This is a braid out with organic coconut oil.

nlamr2013

Do any of you ladies know if the shea moisture line is all natural ?
Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

greenandchic

Do any of you ladies know if the shea moisture line is all natural ?
Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

I really depends on your definition of "all natural". I've been trying to figure that out for months now. I like some of their products but think their price point is too low to be natural if that makes sense. They don't use parabens or sulfates.

Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Purification Hair Masque
Ingredients:
Deionized Water , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Mangfera Indica Seed Butter (Mango) , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , African Black Soap Extract , Sea Salt , Cetyl Esters , Kaolin Clay , Grapeseed Oil , Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba) , Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioner) , Salicylic Acid , Salix Alba Bark Extract (Willow) , Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem) , Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Tea Tree) , Sorbitol Esters , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Rosemary Extract , Salvia Officinalis Extract (Sage) , Plantain Extract , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle)

All the ingredients looks pretty good so far...wondering what's missing.

Shea Moisture Organic Curl Enhancing Smoothie Coconut & Hibiscus
Ingredients:
Deionized Water , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , Vegetable Glycerin , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Silk Protein , Ammonium Salt , Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem) , Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot) , Sorbitol Esters , Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5) , Caprylyl Glycol , Essential Oil Blend , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

Another product that seems natural, but don't know for sure. It has ammonium salt which I'm not sure what it is.

ecornett

ladies i need help big time! i need a natural conditioner or product that helps with detangling, i feel like detangling just gets harder for me please chime in thanks! hhj

lamaria211

ladies i need help big time! i need a natural conditioner or product that helps with detangling, i feel like detangling just gets harder for me please chime in thanks! hhj

i like giovanni direct leave in for detangling more than the actual condish its just as thick and creamy,hth

Lucky's Mom

HI! I like Oyin Honey Hemp. I have tried TONS... This is the only one I use now to Deep condition.

ecornett

i didnt like that giovanni 5050 but nvr tried the leave in so ill give those a shot btw do u mean oyin honey hemp conditioner?

ecornett

cendra i got my agave from a health food store it was the dark amber one, dont know if it makes a diff though

prettybyrd

Mane_Attraxion, I sure do! I hope you don't mind - I'll have to post it once I get to my computer tomorrow morning. I have the page bookmarked.

Mane_Attraxion - here's the link http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/FORMUL_00817.pdf

This is by no means natural as it is presented, however, since we are not adding harsh chemicals probably just oil, water and an emulsifier, I don't think we should have any troubles.

I will let you know how mine turns out once I mix it. I'm using distilled water, sunflower oil, panax ginseng, vitamin E, vitamin b5, and I'm thinking I made add one other ceramide oil.

Lita

Last night-I re-moisturized my hair with TLC (Hibiscus moisturizing leave-in) & Sealed with TLC (Boabab oil)....

Happy Hair Growing!

NaturalPath

Mane_Attraxion - here's the link http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/FORMUL_00817.pdf

This is by no means natural as it is presented, however, since we are not adding harsh chemicals probably just oil, water and an emulsifier, I don't think we should have any troubles.

I will let you know how mine turns out once I mix it. I'm using distilled water, sunflower oil, panax ginseng, vitamin E, vitamin b5, and I'm thinking I made add one other ceramide oil.

Thank you so much for the link :) What is the ginseng supposed to do and what are you using as an emulsifier? I saw that you could use meadowfoam seed oil and I see that a lot of natural leave-ins contain slippery root or marshmallow root.