2012 Natural Products Challenge

greenandchic

Question for everyone :)

Is Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS) a cleansing, emulsifying or conditioning agent? I noticed it in my Curl Junkie Daily Fix (cleansing conditioner) a few other cleansing conditioner brands including Darcy's and Bear Fruit and my Mozeke Leave-In.

The directions on the Darcy's brand of cleansing conditioner said you can use it to cleans or leave it in.

Is the ingredient used interchangeably?

AfrikanRose

Yea! A challenge I know I can stick with!

1. Current length - Forgive the fuzzy puff. I am no photog. When I do stretch it, it comes to my armpits in the front, and in back some sections are APL and the longest sections are BSB. :grin:

2. Natural/Relaxed/Texlaxed/Locked/Other - Natural for 4 years. Had some setbacks with hard water and wrong products. I have come a LONG way from being bald in the back of my head. Yup, bald. The day I graduated from internship, I went to shampoo my hair and came out of the shower with a giant bald spot. Had to wear a scarf to graduation. Boo. Low point.

3. Hair goals for the year. - A more simple regimen and healthier scalp->hair; no hair length goals (I am over obsessing over length) but retention is key for me.

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.*

Here we go.
a. Hot oil treatment with Cowrie Shop Hair and Scalp Oil for 30 minutes with Hot Head bonnet. Leave in overnight. (Thursday or Friday night).

b. Shampoo with Terressentials Mud Wash Lavender Garden or Sultry Spice. Left Coast Lemon did not agree with my hair at all. I leave it on for about 60 minutes. Rinse with a hair tea/ ACV mix (in Cali d/t hard water). (Saturday)
1. If I have no Terressentials, I can and will use Shea Moisture Shea Butter Shampoo and Conditioner (gold label from Target).

c. DC with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque for about 60 minutes with Hot Head. (Saturday)

d. Light moisturize with QB AOHC/OHHB or BRBC/OHHB, then let airdry and leave in braids/twists. (Saturday).
1. I either do braidouts in the summer or wig up in the fall/winter. I will most likely wig up one more year, and then brave it out on its own and figure out how to really do my hair.

e. Monthly protein treatments with olive oil/egg yolk/honey/yogurt. Whip it good and leave on for 60 minutes, then rinse in COLD water.

5. Products/ingredients you will*avoid*(eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)* If I couldn't eat it or wouldn't put it on my skin, I won't use it on my hair. Coconut based alcohol is an exception, and BTMS (rare exception). I will also be avoiding growth lotions, potions, teas, candies, drinks, injections, etc. It sprouts, it sprouts.

Attachments

• IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

ecornett

this week i used my avocado mask to deep condish, then i moisturized with my special flax seed moisturizer and sealed with oil mix (castor,grapeseed,glycerin)
my twist out came out shiny and im on day 2 with amazing definition.

i cant wait to get a camera so i can start posting pics my hair is soft and fluffy to the touch. i havent used NE un natural products for 3 weeks and i've retained a whole 1/2 in AND im retaining moisture yay me!!

Curlykale

I forgot to add that I am going to avoid protein like the plague, no matter how natural it is (my hair hates it. so no eggs, no avocado and no yogurt for me).

I just put my hair in 4 braids with some aloe juice followed by coconut oil and hairveda cocasta oil.
I deep conditioned with AO honeysuckle rose, agave, aloe juice, castor oil and wheat germ oil after the harsh holidays, for 4 hours with a plastic cap. It worked very well.

I'm going to keep my hair lightly oiled and in a bun for the whole week: whenever my hair is confused, oil, bunning and aloe juice bring it back to life.

Curlykale

@greenandchic emulsifiers are surfactants, but not all emulsifiers clean enough to my understanding. I guess "enough" depends on the personal taste. I don't know if all emulsifiers are conditioning, BTMS is conditioning and it is the only one I have tried, I find it good for detangling but I still feel like I miss some moisture if I only use BTMS, water and olive oil. I have no idea about how much I used, I'm a mess.

I'm investing in a small mini crockpot to infuse oils, they are cheap! This way I won't have to buy herbal extracts, not sure if it's the same but I'm all for saving money.

Last edited:

Lita

Pre poo with B.A.S.K-Silk & Honey Latte milk,Dc with B.A.S.K -Y.A.M Nectar Intense Hair Nourisher,Rinsed with Oyins-Hemp con,used B.A.S.K milk as a leave-in,Kyras-Sweet Mango Butter on ends & Sealed with Rice-bran oil....

*I think B.A.S.K Hair milk will make a great 2nd day refresher for wash-n-goes..(In the summer) This hair milk did very well as detangler (on dry hair),very moisturizing..It will be my summer product...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

greenandchic

Update:

I think I'm eventually going to make this hair butter I saw on Twitter the other day. Her measurements are in cups, tbs, tbsp, etc so it should be a little easier than by weight.

I'm researching products to help with the shedding that I'm experiencing until I see a dermatologist next month. I really need to nip this in the bud.

I did an overnight henna treatment and marinating in DC right now. I'm going to try to make it a goal to henna every other week. We'll see, but it will be helpful if I had a local henna supplier, but I don't.

MaraWithLove

I mistakenly used something with a cone in it. :nono: My hair did NOT approve and neither did I once I put on my broken glasses and spotted the cone in the ingredients. Ugh. So I'll be clarifying my hair ASAP and I'll be right back in here with you ladies!

Lita

Friday-per poo with meadowform seed oil,washed kbb sulfate free poo,Marie dean coconut vanilla dc1hr,used Marie dean mango con leave-in,applied Marie dean amla hair cream to moisturize,sealed with sunflower oil....

*Hair feels silky soft & detangle...back in braids & twists...

Happy Hair Growing!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Moisturized with Pura Murumuru Lotion and Kyra's Ultimate Cupuacu Curl Cream, then massaged Camille Rose Ultimate Growth Serum into my scalp. :grin:

Ronnieaj

I am NOT in the mood to be bothered with my hair this weekend. I just oiled with a mix of Mozeke Amla infusion, some neem oil, and mustard oil. I'm going to wash with one of my Bobeam poo bars (probably shealoe), DC with PBN Chocolate Smoothie, do an acv rinse, and moisturize and seal. Lord willing it'll be an hour or less from start to finish.

greenandchic

I need to start using ACV for my hair - I may do it the next time I wash.

I'm pretty much sick of buns. I need another protective style/updo that's bun free. I'm afraid to twist my hair because of the shedding. I will browse YT videos and photos here for ideas this weekend.

greenandchic

My scalp has been itching like crazy all day so I decided to take my Trader Joe's Tree Tea Tingle shampoo, add a few drops of basil, lavender and rosemary oil and put it directly on my scalp and thankfully it stopped the itching instantly. I also have coconut oil on my hair. I'll rinse it out in a bit.

Ronnieaj

Did I really have the nerve to say an hour or less :look::lachen::look:? Who the heck was I trying to fool? It took one hour 50 minutes, which for me is still good. The bulk of the time is spent redoing twists that have unraveled.

I'm going to spend the next 3 months in twists and then do something else. Normally I bun, but I may also have to find something else to do. My hair still shrinks up so doggone much if I let it dry even a little bit, so it'd have to be something I could at least start in the shower :yep:.

Lita

Pre poo with Claudies (vere)oil,Dc with Amaka Creations (Burdock & Brahmi) Mask 1hr,Amaka Creations (Coconut & Honey) milk as a rinse,Kyras(mango moisturizing) cream leave-in,Marie Dean (Honey & Soy)hair butter-cream on ends & Sealed wit Rice bran oil...Peppermint pomade on edges....

*My Hair really loves this mask...Very Conditioning & Moisturizing....

Happy Hair Growing!

greenandchic

My scalp has been pretty calm since I did the pre-poo poo treatment the other day. Making it last until Thursday (co-wash then).

MaraWithLove

I did a cassia treatment overnight, DC'd with Marie Dean Seaweed & Rice DC, followed by a black tea rinse and a scalp massage with evoo. My hair feels more than satisfied.

Lita

Washed with Kyras (Goats Milk/Green Tea) shampoo bar,Marie Dean (Coconut Vanilla) Dc 1hr 30min,used Marie Dean (Mango) leave-in,applied Kyras (Mango Moisturizing)Cream,Kyras (Mango Butter) on ends & Sealed with Boaba oil.....Shi-Naturals (edge grow)serum on scalp...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

ecornett

i decided to do a bentonite treatment,then i deep conditioned and did twistout. been buning it all week.

i've been tweaking my reggie so i think im gonna start wearing it out 1 week and up the next week had great success with this in the past.

i think i can start washing my hair once a month cuz i feel like i dont need to use my clay weekly when useing these natural products.