BSL 2013 Challenge

ImanAdero

So... I think this Shea Radiance leave in MIGHT become a staple/Holy Grail product for me.

I have yet to remoisturize since putting in these small 2 strand twists... And my hair is still pretty soft!

That was almost a week ago!

Ahhhh so excited! Hopefully it lasts long though because I'm not forking over $16 every month for this...

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I blow dried and flat ironed my hair on Friday and now I'm in repair mode. I prepoo'd with an oil mix of some fantastic oils and then washed my hair. I thought it may be a good idea to reconstruct my strands from all the heat so I did an Aphogee 2-minute. Now I'm DC with Joico MR Balm. I have a feeling my hair wants to say THANK YOU!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

It's here it's here it's here!!!!!! I'm so in love with the scents!!! Having a hair EXPERIENCE on tomorrow evening .....can't wait. I may never shampoo again...

ForumRunner_20121127_225557.jpg

AlwaysNatural

If your ends are heat damaged (straight) but it's not really affecting your hair would you gradually cut them off till they vanish? Cut them off one time?Or wait till you go to get your hair evened out and layered at the end of the year and continue with your regular trimming schedule.

*Edited for grammatical clarity.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
AlwaysNatural said:
If your ends are heat damaged (straight) but it's not really affecting your hair would you just continue with your regular trim schedule till they vanish, cut them off or wait till you go to get your hair evened out and layered at the end of the year keeping the ends and trimming as usual so when you go to get it layer and evened out you don't really "lose" anything?

I don't have a lot of advice but I was just thinking this ^^^ is one loooong sentence, lol! I think I can try to give you my experience with my DD's natural hair. When a stylist heat damaged her hair, I lightly trimmed and continued to dust her ends every month as to not lose a lot of length at one time. I think it will also depend on how you style your hair too. Skinny, straight ends aren't that cute with 2-strand twists, twist outs, or wash n go's. some of her strands were damaged throughout the length so growing it out definitely takes patience.

AlwaysNatural

KiWiStyle said:
I don't have a lot of advice but I was just thinking this ^^^ is one loooong sentence, lol! I think I can try to give you my experience with my DD's natural hair. When a stylist heat damaged her hair, I lightly trimmed and continued to dust her ends every month as to not lose a lot of length at one time. I think it will also depend on how you style your hair too. Skinny, straight ends aren't that cute with 2-strand twists, twist outs, or wash n go's. some of her strands were damaged throughout the length so growing it out definitely takes patience.

Oh sorry, edited it. Yeah it looks ridiculous when in any natural style, but I feel like its such a waste to be APL and my ends in its natural state look straight and thin. It does look okay in flexi rod twist outs and sometimes in cornrows.

Last edited:

NikkiQ

If your ends are heat damaged (straight) but it's not really affecting your hair would you gradually cut them off till they vanish? Cut them off one time?Or wait till you go to get your hair evened out and layered at the end of the year and continue with your regular trimming schedule.

I would dust them every other month and then have the stylist cut off any damaged ends that may be left you go to see them at the end of the year.

KPH

House Head
I have been cowashing, air drying and wrapping nightly since joining this challenge since I sweat in my head. During the day it's either in a bunn or some kind of clip but not tight. I can't do styles where I feel my hair is pulled at all

pearlific1

I would gradually trim off the damaged hair :yep:

NikkiQ

Moisturized my Celies this morning and applied my MN mix before spending the entire day on custom orders for customers' Christmas gifts. Thank the Lord no one saw me today b/c I looked like a super HAM!

KaramelDiva1978

Yeah!! I've always wanted to try WEN, after hearing so many great things about it. I think once I finish up the products that I already have, I might give it a go.:yep:

Do it!!! This is my second order and I lllooovvveeeddd my Wen Fig. My rollersets were delicious. The 613 scent is crazy yummy and with the reviews I can't wait to deep condition with it. I just want Ginger Pumpkin to be as moisturizing.

Last edited:

SincerelyBeautiful

Still M&S nightly....ran out of my Cantu So I had to fall back on my HE touchably smooth as my moisturizer. I'm needing to hit up my BSS and go shopping as well. I need some more ORS creamy aloe shampoo as well because it's low and only has enough for me to clarify with once more....

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Angelicus

Hi everyone! :wave: I haven't been as active as I should on the hair board but for 2013, I really want to make a change. I have been wearing my hair APL (when curled) for 2 years but it is not the business! I need my long hair back to feel sessy! :lol:

Current hair length - I am actually BSL when I pull my styled hair but I consider my hair APL because that is where my hair lands when styled. Four or 5 inches would get me there. It's complicated, lol.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd? - Relaxed with Linage Shea Butter Relaxer (the best relaxer on the planet, people!). I am relaxed straight; I used to be "tex-laxed" but I prefer being straight now (not bone straight).

Relaxing Schedule 2013
April 2013
August 2013
December 2013

~BSL goal month - December 2013

~Current Reggie and styling choices - I have a simple regimen
*Relax every 4 months.
*Dye (henna, indigo) every 3-4 months.
*Trim occasionally.

Wash and set hair 1x-2x a week - always wash and condition in sections:
-Oil Massage pre-shampoo treatment
-Clarifying shampoo followed by moisturizing shampoo
-Steaming deep conditioner and/or moisturizing conditioner for at least 10 min
-Apply leave-in conditioner; roller set. Dry. Flat iron new growth.
-Moisturize daily.

*Products
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Suave Clarifying Shampoo
-Complete Silk Dreams Hair Care line (best line ever)
-Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion (sparingly)

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL?
I want to be consistent with protecting my hair at night to prevent split ends. I also want to moisturize more often. I may start taking growth pics in the future but not at this time.

I am requesting not to post a photo starting length (I'm not good at picture-taking :nono: ).

Fhrizzball

I celie braided my minitwistout and it looks busted...

I ended up flatwisting it along the sides and pinning it up. I should've kept them stretched.

How far is everyone from BSL? I'm .5 inches away but I don't think I will make it. Next year for sure though!

NikkiQ

I'm about 3" or so away from BSL. I'll know for sure when I straighten next month. I gave myself a trim a month ago today so it may have changed.

Miss AJ

I'm not claiming full APL until the middle of December even though I think I'm already there lol but I'm not sure how many inches til BSL. Might have to recruit the bf to do some measuring lol.

growbaby

Hello ladies,

Been doin my usual Reggie. We have storm warnings here where I live so hair has been in 6 Bantu knots under my satin bonnet under a beanie since my DC on Monday (what is that 4 days?). Took the front 1 out this am n wearing my hair like this until the downpour stops.

image-375901101.jpg

image-1836307288.jpg

CurlsBazillion

I used to dust monthly but scissors haven't touched my hair since September 18th (my bday :)) and to my delight my ends aren't looking like crap at all. This morning I was checking my calendar for assignments to get done and I started checking my ends at the front and sides of my head. I stop and thought, wow my hair is retaining because I used to always need my magnified mirror to look at my ends. Also my troubled crown is doing great. It's filling in but I need to get back to being consistent with the use of emu oil in that area twice daily.
I'm going to wait and flat iron in February for my son's birthday and see what my ends really look like. I plan to purchase some Washi shears to ensure I'm not undoing my progress with scissors that aren't sharp enough. Hopefully I can leave them in the box because my ends are so perfect lol. I am determined to make BSL in 2013, I'm sticking with the plan no matter what.

Evolving78

i might be 2-3 inches away from BSL. so maybe by March i will get there. just did a light protein treatment today. i didn't do a moisturizing dc afterwards. didn't feel the need to. my hair feels nice right now and it is in a bun. i didn't use a comb at all today.

fatimablush

i'm in..

current length- back of neck

i am texlaxed

bsl by december 2013

current reggie and styling choices--

styles-braid outs, rollersets, flexi rods, curl formers, wiggin', pin curls,
buns or phony pony

hair care- steaming, oiling scalp with jbco and scalp massage

pre-poo with aloe vera castor oil and coconut oil mixture

spray with my mixture underneath wigs

green/black tea rinse or coffee rinse (why did i stop)

using satin moisturizer or another

one of the moisturizer from Claudie or Lucretia Body oils whipped body butter seal with argan oil, coconut oil or jbco.

apply ALter Ego leave in conditioner my favorite

dust ends occasionally

hair care

keep up with protein treatments and moisture

concentrate on ends

texlax every 10-12 weeks may change

vitamins and supplements

msm-source naturals, vitamin c
Mineral Rich
omega 369 or salmon oil
protein shakes (i drink after workout)
eating healthy
drinking more water
working out
drink bamboo tea

will post a pic when i wash hair when i wash again
my hair is in pin curls now.

Last edited:

ronie

Having a "less is more" moment. After reading the benefits of ceramides i started prepooing with a mixture of wgo, gso, evco, and some of the DC i am trying to use up. Although it didn't hurt my hair, it did not impress me either. Last week i decided to only keep the wgo and evco (dropping the conditioner and other oils), and i finally saw the difference. I didn't have a chance to cornrow my hair this week, so i have been combing my hair everyday. There's not as much snapping, and there's been a nice surprise in my comb: only a few strands. I am trying the combo again this weekend to confirm the results.

BraunSugar

I'm enjoying my mini braids. Keeping them bunned for the most part. Tonight I'm going to set the ends on perm rods for some variety. Still taking my vitamins regularly. Very optimistic about hitting BSL by the end of April. I'll post my starting pic after I remove these braids.

Carmelella

Started off as dusting, then turned out into a full trim... .5 - 1.5 inches in places. I thought my ends were good but I think the effects of my wool peacoat this week as well as purposefully adding some relaxer to my tips the last time to lay it down has finally showed up. :(. I had little tiny splits and my ends looked very golden.

Now my hair in the back is more even and looks fuller at least. Wearing my hair up for the rest of the month and then deep PS'ing weave:wig until BSL. I'm staying away from the crack for a lil while too, lol

image-3010353037.jpg

"ohmahgah!! APL is gone! "

image-3396882249.jpg

" This hair game bidness is some bull$hi-et!"

image-3390125526.jpg

" but what can you do... "

image-459241506.jpg

Pony is decent but hair will be duly hidden for quite some time.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I plan to flat iron my hair and take pics this weekend... Not sure. I want to access where I am with my journey. I picked up some Castor Oil and Shea Butter Hair Growth Treatment from Hairitage Hydration and I like it so far. :yep: I've seen hair sprouting in thinner areas around my hairline. I love the fact that it doesn't take a lot of product and my scalp is happy. I really like her products.