MBL 2013 Challenge!

cheerrette

Ok I want to join. If post partum shedding doesn't take me out then I think I can make it.

Current Length I am currently SL scraping APL
Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – I am transitioning last relaxer March 11, 2011
Regimen I shampoo and deep conditon weekly, Clarify chelate and protein about every 6 to 8 weeks, steam atleast twice a month straighten no more than twice a month and not every month, bunning majority of time
Goals for each check-in date I hope to be at APL by Jan 1, 2013, BSL by August 2013 and MBL by December
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL I hope to be there by October but I think December is more realistic

Hair as of September 1, 2012

Attachments

• hair.JPG
    hair.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Realhairdontcare

I recently made apl so here are some pics. The first one is from may and sept and the second one is from just sept. I also posted this in the apl challenge post.

Attachments

• IMG_9933.jpg
    IMG_9933.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6333.jpg
    IMG_6333.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 38

Lexsmarie

Please introduce yourself! Things you might want to include:

Current Length
APL

Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – You can also include hair type if you like
Natural, I believe I'm a 4a/4b

Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL)
I will PSing most of the time (buns) and cowash 1-2 times/week using V05 or Trader Joe Tea Tree Conditioner. Shampoo only when I visit my stylist every 1-2 months. I use S-curl Moisturizer and seal with WHGO or JBCO daily. I am taking Silica, Biotin, Wheat Germ Oil capsule, L-Cysetiene and Vitamin C. Occasionally I would take Viviscal as well.

Goals for each check-in date
Every 3 months starting January 2013

What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL
July... July 15 to be specific *A star was born...me!*

Any links to a photo album or Youtube channel if you want to share
Starting pic attached

HHG

Attachments

• Hair 9-26-2012.jpg
    Hair 9-26-2012.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

An_gell

Current Lengthz: BSB
Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – 4a/b natural
Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL)- I plan to KISS, and wash my hair 2-3 times a week. I plan to bun my way to midback.
Goals for each check-in date (dates are below)- I'll check in Apr 13
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL- I hope to make MBL by Aug of 2013

Attachments

• 20120922_190502.jpg
    20120922_190502.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

claud-uk

:welcome: Lexsmarie and An_gell

Currently doing a pre-flat iron DC of Keracare Humecto + CON AO Con + Castor Oil + Soybean Oil. My SAA's just arrived in the post from ofasimplenature.com so after I rinse out this DC I'll do another light condition with Hollywood Beauty Argan Oil Con + SAA's, and rinse this through with just one jug of ACV water.

Tonight I'll spritz with Aphogee GTK + SAA's, moisturize with AVG, add a thin layer of Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Tx before twisting and leaving to airdry overnight.

See you tomorrow!

WendellaWoody

just applied ojon restorative treatment to dry hair and about to steam. i've had it for 2 years and i'm trying to use this expensive mess up...it has done nothing for my hair-- nothing more than coconut oil or olive oil has done...:perplexed Never again.

greenandchic

just applied ojon restorative treatment to dry hair and about to steam. i've had it for 2 years and i'm trying to use this expensive mess up...it has done nothing for my hair-- nothing more than coconut oil or olive oil has done...:perplexed Never again.

Yes, I learned my lesson about that stuff 10 years ago. It was a fun, expensive novelty. That was long before I discovered oils other than Carol's Daughter products.

Moonaonline

I had an excess shedding problem over last 2 weeks which freaked me out
Am 8 weeks post relaxer and my goal is 16 week stretch
It wasn't normal shedding cause I was shedding even short hairs

Beside the shedding I had that horrible scalp pain making combing very difficult
So I look back to my regimen and noticed that I stopped my regular scalp massage with coconut oil

Frankly over the last month I neglected my scalp and focused only on the length
So am back to coconut oil scalp massage and both problem improved (actually scalp pain is gone)
also started vitamin supplement but I don't think they kicked in yet :)

I can't believe this level of dryness,, I co wash most of the time and for this reason I thought I can skip regular scalp oiling
But I was so wrong

coolsista-paris

I had an excess shedding problem over last 2 weeks which freaked me out
Am 8 weeks post relaxer and my goal is 16 week stretch
It wasn't normal shedding cause I was shedding even short hairs

Beside the shedding I had that horrible scalp pain making combing very difficult
So I look back to my regimen and noticed that I stopped my regular scalp massage with coconut oil

Frankly over the last month I neglected my scalp and focused only on the length
So am back to coconut oil scalp massage and both problem improved (actually scalp pain is gone)
also started vitamin supplement but I don't think they kicked in yet :)

I can't believe this level of dryness,, I co wash most of the time and for this reason I thought I can skip regular scalp oiling
But I was so wrong

im having the same problem.
my good regi that works usually: dcs overnight on dry hair (i spritz before). co wash next day. tension method after in order to stretch. then im all fine. using s curl spray every other day.and scalp massage like everyday .

now: my scalp is getting loco . hurts à bit....itching .hair knotting up when usually its so easy. it looks dried up with ugly ends. hair is coming out more than usual...i usually can wait 9-10 days between washes....for these last 2 weeks it lasted only 6 days....i thought it was build up so.i shampood with gentle product.....no real change. i wonder if its because i used more heat than usual with blow dryer. i had put it closer to my hair than i usually do (was i à stupid rush .....)

should i trim ??? i dont feel like it i dusted in august and just 2 weeks ago my ends and hair were great so... i dont get it.
hair feels dry,harder to moisturize...

Marand13

I did a ApHogee protein treatment and am currently DCing since last night. I'm going to braid my hair up weekly for the next few months to keep my hair constantly in a protective style.

I am a good 1 1/2" away from BSL. So a good 4" and I can properly claim MBL! I posted pics on my blog.

8-10 months (June-ish) depending on if I have any more setbacks and I should be there!

:grin:

Fab79

i'm in this challenge, haven't really updated, forgot, but then was looking at my hair last night and was like i want to be MBL by next year, came on today and saw that i had signed up for this challenge so better get back on it

currently i'm rocking wigs, really feel like weaving it up, brought 2 lots of hair, but then when i popped in the BSS yesterday, started thinking maybe i should have braids, havent had them in a while, so now i'm in ps stalemate, will get another wig and maybe weave it up november/december

have started taken a hsn vit from oct 1st and i will continue to either a hsn vit or multivit

for the next 3 months and then see what other vits to add
so that's my plan from now to year end and i will be definitely be updating more and posting on the due dates, these have been added to calender

when i wash it this weekend i will take a pic and update

Moonaonline

coolsista-paris said:
im having the same problem.
my good regi that works usually: dcs overnight on dry hair (i spritz before). co wash next day. tension method after in order to stretch. then im all fine. using s curl spray every other day.and scalp massage like everyday .

now: my scalp is getting loco . hurts à bit....itching .hair knotting up when usually its so easy. it looks dried up with ugly ends. hair is coming out more than usual...i usually can wait 9-10 days between washes....for these last 2 weeks it lasted only 6 days....i thought it was build up so.i shampood with gentle product.....no real change. i wonder if its because i used more heat than usual with blow dryer. i had put it closer to my hair than i usually do (was i à stupid rush .....)

should i trim ??? i dont feel like it i dusted in august and just 2 weeks ago my ends and hair were great so... i dont get it.
hair feels dry,harder to moisturize...

I think scalp dryness can cause pain, itching and shedding
Going back to regular scalp massage with coconut oil really helped me in this problem
I was shedding +170 /day and now am back to my normal 50-60 /day (I thought my relaxer stretch is the cause)

If your ends are getting out of controller invest in curlformers, they won't go all the way to the roots but they tame the ends,,
I always go back to them when I get frustrated with my hair
They helped me a lot in retaining length

Using heat will make your hair dry but you should be able to moisturize it easily
Also excess proteins can make your hair crunchy and hard but it does not lock out the moisture
Moisture lock out is common with silicon and heavy oils (mineral, petroleum)
Check your product for silicons (specially heat protection products) also check for mineral oil, petroleum (finishing product) and proteins
They can be hidden down in the ingredients list, but even in small amount they can build up and causes this nasty dryness
They need SLS or ALS shampoo to clear them off,,

coolsista-paris

I think scalp dryness can cause pain, itching and shedding
Going back to regular scalp massage with coconut oil really helped me in this problem
I was shedding +170 /day and now am back to my normal 50-60 /day (I thought my relaxer stretch is the cause)

If your ends are getting out of controller invest in curlformers, they won't go all the way to the roots but they tame the ends,,
I always go back to them when I get frustrated with my hair
They helped me a lot in retaining length

Using heat will make your hair dry but you should be able to moisturize it easily
Also excess proteins can make your hair crunchy and hard but it does not lock out the moisture
Moisture lock out is common with silicon and heavy oils (mineral, petroleum)
Check your product for silicons (specially heat protection products) also check for mineral oil, petroleum (finishing product) and proteins
They can be hidden down in the ingredients list, but even in small amount they can build up and causes this nasty dryness
They need SLS or ALS shampoo to clear them off,,

thank you ! u just checkéd indgredients in my ic fantasia heat protectant : silicons!!!!
i love that product though cause it does protect my hair and leaves it soft.
maybe ive been putting too much. i think so...

how can i keep using it ? without getting moisture lock out? i shampood last week to take away build up. my hair and scalp are still not thé way they should be....fustrating me this hair of mine.

NaturalfienD

@ coolsista-paris

Keeping in mind that I don't know everything about your regimen:

Is there a possibility that you can reduce the frequency of blow drying your hair? That way you wouldn't have to use the IC (it seems like you think that's the culprit for the moisture block) and you wouldn't have as much scalp pain/"bad ends" because you reduced the amount of times that your scalp/hair comes in contact with direct heat.

I see you have begun using SAAs (welcome to the club :)), are you adding them to your protein conditioner? I ask because I did that for an extra boost of strength (greedy click, where y'all at …) and experienced more breakage than usual. Not hella but enough to get my attention. If you have done this, perhaps it'd be wise to only add the SAA to your moisturizing conditioners.

I could be way off base but it's a possibility … either way, I'm hopeful you find a solution to the issue.

Last edited:

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

… I am still in mini braids and loving the style. I have noticed that my hair has grown since installing them a couple of weeks ago. I measured 1.5-2.0 cm of growth and I'm happy with that. What I also appreciate about the style is that I know it's growth happening and not the possibility that it's a slipping extension fronting like growth. (Am I the only one …)

I'm on my way to the store to grab MN and Vaseline for some challenges that I'm joining. I plan on coming home, cowashing and applying both- MN mix on scalp/Vaseline on ends.

I have been taking Omega 3 consistently and started up the Biotin again. Rocky with the water consumption and praying on the exercise program.

I hope you all are doing well …

coolsista-paris

@ coolsista-paris

Keeping in mind that I don't know everything about your regimen:

Is there a possibility that you can reduce the frequency of blow drying your hair? That way you wouldn't have to use the IC (it seems like you think that's the culprit for the moisture block) and you wouldn't have as much scalp pain/"bad ends" because you reduced the amount of times that your scalp/hair comes in contact with direct heat.

I see you have begun using SAAs (welcome to the club :)), are you adding them to your protein conditioner? I ask because I did that for an extra boost of strength (greedy click, where y'all at …) and experienced more breakage than usual. Not hella but enough to get my attention. If you have done this, perhaps it'd be wise to only add the SAA to your moisturizing conditioners.

I could be way off base but it's a possibility … either way, I'm hopeful you find a solution to the issue.

dont laugh at me ok lol. what is saa?? i wanted to answer your post but before making myself more ridiculous i prefer asking this first.
thanks à lot for helping me.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Current Length - Full APL
Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning] – You can also include hair type if you like - Texturized, 3bc, coarse/curly/frizzy hair
Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL) - I'm sticking to what works, and cutting out what doesn't.
Co-cleanse 2-3x's a week
Weekly MT Mix overnight DC
Low manipulation + No/Low heat
Self trims 3-4x's a year
Goals for each check-in date (dates are below) -
Dec 31st - BSB
Apr 30th - Grazing BSL
Aug 31st - BSL
Dec 31st 2013 - MBL/grazing WL
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL - It would be Amazing to be MBL for my BDay in August!!

mamaline

I'm joining!

Current Length - Barely APL
Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning] – You can also include hair type if you like - Relaxed
Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL) - Pre-poo, washing and DCing once a week. Henna every month or so. Moisturizing and sealing daily, bunning, no heat for 6 months, starting to stretch relaxers a little more, protein treatment following relaxers, taking vitamins and upping my water intake. Trying to keep it relatively simple.
Goals for each check-in date (dates are below) -
December 31, 2012 - Full APL
April 30, 2013 - Grazing BSL
August 15, 2013 - Full BSL on my way to MBL
December 31, 2013 - MBL

December

Hey Ladies, I'm Jamaica. I am excited to join in... if a bit late.

Current Length - About 2 inches past APL. My last measurement was 10.5 inches. That was before my recent 3 months of wigging, so I am guessing my current length at roughly 12 inches. [Edit: took a picture on 10/14... see below]. I like measuring with inches, but will translate that to body parts for the challenge. I'm 5'2 with a short torso... which I never thought of as a good thing until now! Lol. WL for me is 17 inches from the nape.

Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning] – Texlaxed

Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL) - I am wigging the whole way! I wash the hair while braided to minimize wet manipulation. Once my hair is dry I take down the braids one at a time with a bit of coconut oil. Co-wash with Trader Joe's Nourish (...or Tresemme if I don't have that around).

Goals for each check-in date (dates are below) ...I tried to be very realistic, so 1.5 inches every four months.

December 31, 2012 - BSL (12.5 inches) ...I wear sports bras, so I skipped this one on my chart.
April 30, 2013 - Grazing MBL (14 inches)
August 15, 2013 - Full MBL (15.5 inches)
December 31, 2013 - Grazing WL (17 inches)

August (full)

First photo was taken at 10.5 inches (the picture doesn't really show it, but I was about an inch past APL in this shot). Second photo is currently (about 12 inches).

Last edited:

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

… Going to dc with Nexxus Humectress, a little grapeseed oil, and a cap fill of SAA. I will throw a couple of plastic caps on to steam while cleaning up the house. I plan on rinsing with cold water, using the Roux 619 leave in, and sealing with vaseline. Next weekend, these mini braids will be coming down. The following week, I will be installing mini braids again. I hope you all are doing well …

jprayze

Hair is doing well and growing at a great rate. Regularly using MN. 1st pic is September 4 and the 2nd pic is today.

image-4105826267.jpg

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

Checking In:

Currently just bunning my twistouts at the moment even though the buns are less than steller. I've been cravin some crochet braids lately but I can't find anyone near me to do it and I suck at cornrolling. I can't even flat twist neatly no matter how often I try. Just as well though as I'm in the Braid/Twist/Bun challenge. Though if I find someone to do it in December for me I would just so I won't have to worry about my hair come Christmas time in the dead of winter.

Evolving78

i think i am just going to bun my hair. it is muggy outside and i don't plan on going anywhere until Monday. i relaxed my hair today using the half/half method and it turned out really good! i will go that route for now on. i lightly dusted my ends (i lightly dusted earlier this week too, i know bad habit) i really want to stretch until Dec, so 9 weeks for me.

Mjon912

:hiya: I'd love to join!!!!

-My current length is APL except I had a set back in August and have some breakage in the middle:ohwell:

-I'm texlaxed, I used regular silk elements with olive oil in the jar mixed with jojoba oil. I try to stretch my relaxers but I pretty much relax anywhere from 8-13 weeks, depending on how fast my hair is growing at the particular time. Right now I'm 9weeks post and trying to make it until 13 weeks.:crossfingers:

-I think I have a simple Reggie... I wash once a week, on wash days I normally prepoo with oils and honey over night, wash, condition, deep condition apply leave ins, seal my ends and roller set or air dry. During the week I wrap and put my scarf on to go to bed or just put my scarf over my ps. Right now I'm doing a personal challenge of ps and using my MN mix until my next relaxer. My mix consists of mn, hair trigger growth elixir, dr miracles Gro oil, doo Gro mega thick grease and sulfer8 grease that I apply about 3-4 times a week. I'll take a break from my MN from thanksgiving until about dec.5 and start back up until the middle of January. Then it'll will be back to my normal Reggie for a few months then ill start using MN again.:yep:

-because of my damage I'm not sure when I'll make MBL but I hope to be BSL by valentines day 2013 so I guess MBL by oct 2013.

HAPPY HAIR GROWING LADIES!!!!!

Mjon912

This was 9/21... You can see where my hair is basically missing in the middle, I've been trimming frequently since I noticed the damage, my heart can't handle another big chop

ForumRunner_20121014_031414.jpg

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
This is the exact thing that happened to me! :lol: I totally forgot that I signed up but I was searching for the new thread to join and low and behold, I'd already joined!!

Rolersetting, rollersetting, rollersetting..... I'm maybe and inch or two from BSL so hopefully I'll be MBL by the end of next year. I'm a slow grower but BSL and MBL aren't that far apart for me, maybe 2".

i'm in this challenge, haven't really updated, forgot, but then was looking at my hair last night and was like i want to be MBL by next year, came on today and saw that i had signed up for this challenge so better get back on it

currently i'm rocking wigs, really feel like weaving it up, brought 2 lots of hair, but then when i popped in the BSS yesterday, started thinking maybe i should have braids, havent had them in a while, so now i'm in ps stalemate, will get another wig and maybe weave it up november/december

have started taken a hsn vit from oct 1st and i will continue to either a hsn vit or multivit

for the next 3 months and then see what other vits to add
so that's my plan from now to year end and i will be definitely be updating more and posting on the due dates, these have been added to calender

when i wash it this weekend i will take a pic and update

coolsista-paris

hey all. for the first time since being natural im finally satisfied with my flat ironning result (did it before yesterday). not bone straight as i have fine hair. scared to burn it up! here are some pics (im getting excited cause its getting better and better)...after 10YEARS nl!!
by the way pics are from today. hair has started puffing ....

ForumRunner_20121017_002648.jpg

2012-10-16 21.44.00-1.jpg

ForumRunner_20121017_002723.jpg

sorry for thé last one (my face!!!! i was acting.silly with hubby...)lol.

jprayze

coolsista-paris said:
hey all. for the first time since being natural im finally satisfied with my flat ironning result (did it before yesterday). not bone straight as i have fine hair. scared to burn it up! here are some pics (im getting excited cause its getting better and better)...after 10YEARS nl!!
by the way pics are from today. hair has started puffing ....

sorry for thé last one (my face!!!! i was acting.silly with hubby...)lol.

Looking good!