MBL 2013 Challenge!

Mjon912

claud-uk your hair is growing well, I can see a big difference in your oct pic
jprayze how are you using honey to lighten your hair?
coolsista-paris you did a great job, the thickness is amazing and your at a great length

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Hi Ladies, checking in. I'm still in natural braids for the next 2weeks. I'm moisturizing my hair with spring water and oils every 2 days. Deep conditioning once a wk rotating between moisturizing dc and protein. I'm protecting my end by bagging daily while in a bun and it has helped tremendously. I just recently made APL and I am determined to get to mbl by the end of 2013. I hope I'm not over reaching.:spinning:

jprayze

[USER=346679 said:
Mjon912[/USER];17064407]claud-uk your hair is growing well, I can see a big difference in your oct pic
jprayze how are you using honey to lighten your hair?
coolsista-paris you did a great job, the thickness is amazing and your at a great length

Since June, I've been using honey as a lightening agent...the fact that it is humectant sure doesn't hurt. It's part of my prepoo...honey, avocado oil, and ORS Replenishing. I keep it on at least 1 hour up to overnight. With things like this you don't know exactly what color it will turn out. A couple weeks ago, I did after wash treatment for lightening plus I could eat all the Ingredients if I wanted-- honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice. And my final rinse was chamomile tea infused with rosemary. (Chamomile also has lightening effects.) so my current hair color is the result of that latest treatment...it seemed to really warm up my color.

CoiledByNature

Current length : A little past CBL
Natural
Goal date : dec 2013
Regimen will be :
Sew in
Sulfur oil mix applied to my scalp every 3 days then Green house before bed
Taking hair vitamins
Wash and condition with Jamaican black castor oil shampoo and conditioner

Starting length pics soon to come

Mjon912

Since June, I've been using honey as a lightening agent...the fact that it is humectant sure doesn't hurt. It's part of my prepoo...honey, avocado oil, and ORS Replenishing. I keep it on at least 1 hour up to overnight. With things like this you don't know exactly what color it will turn out. A couple weeks ago, I did after wash treatment for lightening plus I could eat all the Ingredients if I wanted-- honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice. And my final rinse was chamomile tea infused with rosemary. (Chamomile also has lightening effects.) so my current hair color is the result of that latest treatment...it seemed to really warm up my color.

Omg I'm such a jerk...I've been using honey in my prepoos as well...but i was doing dark brown rinses in the summer and recently did a jet black... for the life of me I couldn't figure out why my semi permanent rinses were washing out in a week:spinning:...I'm so crazy because I knew honey lightened hair, I just thought you had to sit in the sun for it to activate lol...thanks for clearing this up for me:look:

jprayze

Mjon912 said:
Omg I'm such a jerk...I've been using honey in my prepoos as well...but i was doing dark brown rinses in the summer and recently did a jet black... for the life of me I couldn't figure out why my semi permanent rinses were washing out in a week:spinning:...I'm so crazy because I knew honey lightened hair, I just thought you had to sit in the sun for it to activate lol...thanks for clearing this up for me:look:

Wowwww so are you going to keep the honey and try to lighten or keep doing rinses? I hear that you can microwave the honey first and it won't lighten or you could use agave nectar as a substitute.

greenandchic

Checking in: I really need to get on top of sealing my ends a little better than I have. When I sealed nightly, I had very little breakage - its starting to come back a little. Also my hair is getting a bit more tangled on the ends.

Mjon912

jprayze I'm just going to keep the honey, it makes my new growth so straight when I prepoo with it, stretching relaxers is a breeze!

KurlyNinja

Yesterday was wash day for me. I've been using the hydroquenchsystems products and they are REALLY nice! I also decided to band my hair for the first time and loved the results. Used nylon stockings to band my hair. Got this idea from MzSwift! Thanks posting it really was a good idea to use nylon stockings!

NaturalUM07

Hey! Checking in...my hair is still in braids :( I'm so ready to take them out. I don't think I'll make it to December. More than likely I'll take them out after exams or during Thanksgiving break. I so want to see where my hair is now. There's about 1-1.5cm of new growth for sure.

I haven't been doing to much of anything to it. Just adding shea butter to my scalp and ends. Early on I was spritzing my hair with water and then adding oil. But that varies from week to week LOL.

Guess we'll see where I'll be in Nov.

freckledface

My hair has been extra soft this week but I can't remember what I changed! I've even been lazy with m&s but its still felt great. #confused

And idk if I'm gonna make bsl by Dec. I did a good trim getting all my damage off so now all I have to do is keep up with my dusting and I'm hoping ill be alright. I'm gonna go hard trying to get there by the end of the yr but idk. Hopefully ill be really close. Either way it'll he the longest my hair has ever been so I'm still winning :p

BraunSugar

I just realized that I never posted a starting pic in this thread. It isn't the best one, but it's from my last blow out:

I'm currently participating in the Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth challenge. I'm also taking supplements again. I'm using a multivitamin, biotin, and iron (I'm anemic).

I'm really focused on making MBL by the end of 2013!

BGT

I'm in. I haven't done a hair challenge in a few years. I've been severely neglecting my hair. The picture in the bra is from July 2010 and one attached is from today. No progress at all. :nono:

• Current Length (Full APL)
  • Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – You can also include hair type if you like (Relaxed, 4 A/B, 8-10 week stretches)
  • Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL) (co-washing, bunning, coconut and castor oil, biotin, fish oil capsules, rollersetting, weaves and wigs)
  • Goals for each check-in date (dates are below)
  • What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL

December 31, 2012 - Near BSL
April 30, 2013 - Full BSL
August 15, 2013 - Half way to MBL
December 31, 2013 - Near MBL or full MBL

Attachments

• image-3377357416.jpg
    image-3377357416.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

vmerie

Undercover superhero
I have been on a low shampoo regimen since joining and my hair has been singing. The only reason I used shampoo was to rid my hair of product buildup from products I used that contained cones. I no longer use cone products and have been conditioner washing for a while which seems to work great for my fine strand hair. I do plan on buying something more cleansing in the near future...just looking at my options.

I might also reach MBL faster than expected so I will join the girls on the WL in 2013 thread sooner than later.

ms.tatiana

Yikes I was taking my weave out tonight and I started detangling and boy did I lose a lot of hair like I truly believe my hair is 10 tens thinner than before the weave. I'm kinda upset but its my fault for truly trusting this lady to do my hair. So now I'm back to baby mode with my hair I used conditioner water olive oil and peppermint oil with aloe gel to get my hair in a bun I will probably bun for the next 2 weeks to get some life in my hair.

jprayze

Ok so still have a little bit of hope to make it to BSB by the end of the year. My bra is MBL.:look: and it is an extremely big gap between APL

So BSB is my immediate goal and I'm going to do the following 5 things to see how close I can get my the end of the year!

1. One more time to heat style/trim until the end of the year (except if I have to blow dry my hair before braids). Want to get a light trim so I don't have raggedy ends at BSB.:nono:
2. Continued Daily Use of MN either straight or mixed
3. Vitamins - 2x/daily Viviscal (just started 2 days ago), 1000 mcg biotin 1x/daily, Calcium Vit/D 2x/daily, and a multi vitamin (I split them up between breakfast, lunch, and dinner.)
4. Increased water intake. Drink 24oz of water first thing in the am and then continue from there.
5. Scalp massages with the EO blend for hair growth on my 'problem areas'
OOPS...make that 9!
6. Continued tea rinses to combat shedding and strengthen strands...alternating between chamomile and black
7. Lots of protective styling...BUNS, BUNS and more buns
8. Aiming to deep condition at least one a week! Alter Ego Garlic is one of my staples.
9. This is a hard one...no more length checks until I straighten in December for end of the year check ins!

And hoping all of this gets me on track for MBL 2013!!!

freckledface

Tonight I did a DC on dry hair with motions CPR mixed with AO GBP ( was running outta both) for 2 hrs. Shampooed with HE LTR. I put a lil water and peppermint oil in there and it feels soo good scalp is super clean and tingling. Now I got honeysuckle rose in my hair with castor and EVCO on top. May keep it in overnight we shall see. Trying to do all of this every Sunday night or something like it.

Evolving78

i cowashed yesterday. i haven't cowashed in months. i did it because i didn't have time to shampoo and dc. my hair still felt fine. i did kinda of go back on my word and used the blow dryer, but i didn't use the comb attachment and my hair was 80 percent dry. i am going to moisturize and seal and back to the bun. i may cowash again. i think for the winter, i will cowash one day out the week and shampoo on the weekend. i am still going to air dry.

BGT

Co-washed with Wen and ORS Replenishing Condish. Then put in 14 in 1, serum and some leave-in condish and air dryed overnight. Gonna be wearing buns daily until at least the end of the year.

mamaline

I clarified my hair Friday, and I am still struggling to get the moisture back in. That's even after I DC'd friday and co-washed and DC'd yesterday. and It's just a tangled, rough mess right now. I'm really not trying to let this be a set back, so I'm just going to keep my hair in this bun until Wednesday when I'll co-wash and DC again. No manipulating it when it's in this state. I'm do have sooo much new growth right now though, so hopefully I can retain a lot of it. My next relaxer is going to be in about 2-3 weeks. I'll be either 10 or 11 weeks post.

I've been on my healthy hair journey since July 2011. I've retained a lot of growth, but my ultimate goal is MBL and hopefully I'll be there by the end of this challenge

[*]Current Length: grazing bsl
[*] Current State of Hair: relaxer/stretching (11months stretch), last relaxer (Jul.) next relaxer will be in jun 2013

[*] Regimen:
Braiding
- keep braids in for 2 months
- m&s every two days with aloe and Shea butter mix
- cowash every 2 weeks
- shampoo, dc, and Acv every month
- after removal of braids: wash, protein, dc and Acv
- leave hair out for 1-2 weeks before next install
[*] Goals for each check-in date: Bsl
[*] What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL: DECEMBER

My starting pic

ForumRunner_20121022_124426.jpg

Attachments

• PicsArt_1342450795404-1.jpg
    PicsArt_1342450795404-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 66

Fhrizzball

I clarified my hair Friday, and I am still struggling to get the moisture back in. That's even after I DC'd friday and co-washed and DC'd yesterday. and It's just a tangled, rough mess right now. I'm really not trying to let this be a set back, so I'm just going to keep my hair in this bun until Wednesday when I'll co-wash and DC again. No manipulating it when it's in this state. I'm do have sooo much new growth right now though, so hopefully I can retain a lot of it. My next relaxer is going to be in about 2-3 weeks. I'll be either 10 or 11 weeks post.

Have you tried an oil rinse or HOT? That helped for me when I used a shampoo that stripped my hair a little too much.

mamaline

Have you tried an oil rinse or HOT? That helped for me when I used a shampoo that stripped my hair a little too much.

How do I do an oil rinse? I did pre-poo with oil yesterday before I co-washed. I'll try to do the oil rinse or a HOT Wednesday when I get ready to co-wash again.

LightEyedMami

I Dc'ed yesterday and M&S today...now im gonna sew down a wig for a few weeks and use this method, along w/ crochet sets/ kinky twists to get me to MBL......Im unsure if i'll be MBL in april though (i need to keep up wth dustings/trims)....i think i may change that to august....well see though....

Last edited:

greenandchic

Last night I shampooed my scalp (LOL) and cowashed with Trader Joe's Tree Tea Tingle Conditioner. I wanted to do a DC, but it was getting late, but my hair felt great regardless (DCed this past Thursday).

SincerelyBeautiful

I really wanna join ladies!!! Here is my stats:

Relaxed, 4b, APL

I wash once weekly using a sulfate free shampoo
Co wash weekly with VO5 moisture milks
DC every week
Protein bi weekly or once monthly
Moisturize and seal daily
And PS 99.9% of time

Will post my starting pic when I get off from work

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

I removed my mini braids this weekend. I had much growth and great retention. I used Chicoro's method of pre-pooing and my hair loved it. I rinsed that out with warm water and washed my entire head with Quantum Chelating Shampoo. It was AMAZING how much grime came off my hair with the chelating shampoo. Keep in mind that I cowash often during the week, shampoo my scalp with diluted shampoo, etc. so it was a shocker to really see all of the calcium, chlorine, etc. that was on my hair, because I thought my hair was clean.

I let the chelating shampoo sit on my hair for about ten minutes ... I did not want to manipulate my hair too much while it was loose because I did not want any knotting to go down. I rinsed my hair with distilled water in a downward motion to rinse all of the shampoo off. From there, I DC'd with Nexxus Humectress, a tablespoon or two of grapeseed oil, and a cap fill of SAA (silk amino acid); I used the 'relaxer method' to apply the DC, threw on a couple of plastic caps and left it on for about an hour.

Once I rinsed the DC out, I let my hair airdry for a little bit and twisted. I sprayed my leave-in on the finished product, applied MN to my scalp and got awesome hair today.

My hair is 'out' until I complete my new install of mini braids this weekend.

I hope you all are doing well ... HHG!!