New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!

Checking in...I think I'm going to BC this weekend (I am not doing it sooner cause my friends would like to witness this lol!)...So last night I took out the sewn in weave. I couldn't take it anymore after a week. After that, I washed it and I put in a mayo with eggs, wheat germ...I forgot the name... and left it for a couple of minutes...OMG!! I couldn't detangle my hair...silicon mix didn't detangle it, I was panicking :wallbash:. I used all my moiturizers and nothing would detangle the permed hair. Finally with cantu moisturizer and taking my time pulling my hair and a lot of hair came out with at least 5 knots...:sad:

The tiny bit of relaxed hair that I have left does not look right...it looks like 3 strings when wet. I'll rather treat my natural hair properly instead of dealing with the relaxed ends and plus...walking around with my hair looking like that is not cute.

This is the latest.

I have given this alot of thought, and since my hair texture changed (it grows in spirals now instead of knots:yep:) Im gonna transition!!!!!

Hi all!!! I am 45 wks post relaxer and I have been using Henna for color and condition. It has also helped me tremendously with breakage. This past Friday, I made the mistake of sleeping with my heat camp on low for 45 min. Please take it from me...do not do this !!! I pray my scalp is not burned or damaged in any way.

Ladies...I did a cold wave roller set...its the BOMB yall. Pictures coming. DEFF. good transitioning style. I got many compliments :D And it lasts for a few days. Or atleast a week.

Checking in...I think I'm going to BC this weekend (I am not doing it sooner cause my friends would like to witness this lol!)...So last night I took out the sewn in weave. I couldn't take it anymore after a week. After that, I washed it and I put in a mayo with eggs, wheat germ...I forgot the name... and left it for a couple of minutes...OMG!! I couldn't detangle my hair...silicon mix didn't detangle it, I was panicking :wallbash:. I used all my moiturizers and nothing would detangle the permed hair. Finally with cantu moisturizer and taking my time pulling my hair and a lot of hair came out with at least 5 knots...:sad:

The tiny bit of relaxed hair that I have left does not look right...it looks like 3 strings when wet. I'll rather treat my natural hair properly instead of dealing with the relaxed ends and plus...walking around with my hair looking like that is not cute.

This is the latest.

Sounds like you overdosed on protein. Good luck on your BC.

Ladies...I did a cold wave roller set...its the BOMB yall. Pictures coming. DEFF. good transitioning style. I got many compliments :D And it lasts for a few days. Or atleast a week.

What is a cold wave?

Ok ladies im in need of some HELP!!! Im 35 weeks post and my newgrowth is really coily so when i try styles like 2 strand twistouts or bantu knots no matter how smooth my roots are when im doing the style its still turns out poofy when it dries, any suggestion of other styles?? This is really making me want to Big chop way ahead of schedule!!! Also what are some of you ladies staple moisturizers that makes your hair shine and really moisturized?? Thanks ladies

I'm currently about 44 weeks post, what I have been noticing is that my relaxed ends tend to tangle more than natural hair, I;m trying to not chop till about 12 more months, but this really gets on my nerves, I;m starting to really hate my relaxed hair:look:

I'm about 11 weeks behind you (almost 24 weeks post) but I have a lot of coily new growth I am dealing with too :)
When I do my braidouts, I just allow my new growth do it's own thing. I do 5 cornrows on 90% dry hair overnight and although my new growth poofs up a little - it makes my hair appear even thicker :)

2 ways I deal with it are:
1. I use a headband (I have about 20 now, :lachen:)
OR
2. I do a side parting and fluff out my roots and it looks similar to how I style my rollersets.

HTH.
Ok ladies im in need of some HELP!!! Im 35 weeks post and my newgrowth is really coily so when i try styles like 2 strand twistouts or bantu knots no matter how smooth my roots are when im doing the style its still turns out poofy when it dries, any suggestion of other styles?? This is really making me want to Big chop way ahead of schedule!!! Also what are some of you ladies staple moisturizers that makes your hair shine and really moisturized?? Thanks ladies

Last edited:
You can hold out :)
How many weeks post are you?
I don't want to do a weave or use half wigs or do extensions but have you thought about trying out these options?

Congrats, -Love!

ETA: I feel like relaxing. Doing my hair is time consuming during wash days.

Not entirely sure... what I'm sure of is - I have different growth rates at different areas of my hair. I definitely do not grow 0.5 inch per month cos that'd mean I'll have 2.5 inches of new growth right now which I don't.

Hello ladies, - have a question.... How much new growth do u acquire a month?

I have given this alot of thought, and since my hair texture changed (it grows in spirals now instead of knots:yep:) Im gonna transition!!!!!

YAY!!!! You'll find tons of info and support here. Good luck!! how long do u think you'll go? (i'm going 2 years)

Sorry to hear it. do you let it dry completely before you untwist/unknot? I love cantu moisturizer and coconut oil. good luck!

I'm currently about 44 weeks post, what I have been noticing is that my relaxed ends tend to tangle more than natural hair, I;m trying to not chop till about 12 more months, but this really gets on my nerves, I;m starting to really hate my relaxed hair:look:

No, don't hate your relaxed hair. You've just gotta find a way to work with it.

Congrats, -Love!

ETA: I feel like relaxing. Doing my hair is time consuming during wash days.

C'mooonnn you can hold out. Just plan for wash days...you can make it like a spa day instead of something you dread.

Hello ladies, - have a question.... How much new growth do u acquire a month?

I get about .5 inches a month or a lil under that i think.

You can hold out :)
How many weeks post are you?
I don't want to do a weave or use half wigs or do extensions but have you thought about trying out these options?

I'm only a little over six months post. I dont do weaves or extensions. Styling during the week isnt a problem, just the actual process of washing. And that isn't even a problem in and of itself, since I dont really have tangles or breakage, it just takes a while. :perplexed

I guess I am PMSing. :lachen:

Your hair in your avatar reminds me of some of mine. :yep: Love the coils.

I did a braid out last night using a new method. If it comes out decent, I may post pictures. This shrinkage is wild, though.

wow...never has my hair been this hard to deal with.

The longest I have ever stretched is 7 months. I used earthly delight on my last poo and it left my hair very stripped, dry, and tangled. errr never AGAIN

:) so I'm only a couple of weeks behind you.... I love braidouts, I do mine this way: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=366395&highlight=

I don't do weaves or extensions but washing is not yet a problem for me... maybe your hair's longer than mine?

P.S. So we might be hair relatives? How long do you wanna transition for?
I'm only a little over six months post. I dont do weaves or extensions. Styling during the week isnt a problem, just the actual process of washing. And that isn't even a problem in and of itself, since I dont really have tangles or breakage, it just takes a while. :perplexed

I guess I am PMSing. :lachen:

Your hair in your avatar reminds me of some of mine. :yep: Love the coils.

I did a braid out last night using a new method. If it comes out decent, I may post pictures. This shrinkage is wild, though.

I have been trying braid outs but not matter what I do I don't have curl definition and they come out looking a hot mess. So I think that I am going to give up on braid outs and just try flexirods for a tights set so that my new growth and relaxed hair blends in together.

From the looks of your avatar, we have the same hair type. I do bantu knots and what helps me is to add a pea sized amount of serum to each strand before knoting it. I say pea because I have longer hair, but I would suggest a smaller amount for your hair. I usually wash, DC, apply my leave-in, apply moistureizer, seal with cocunut oil and grab a section (I don't part) then apply the serum making sure I smooth it to the ends then knot up. I then use my denman to get the hairs untangly and straight. I do this on 40% damp hair because I found that when my hair is sopping wet it never dries and gets poofy.

Staple moisterizers for me are :
Coconut oil as a sealant
I Co-wash with V05 Condistioners and add a pea sized amount of EVOO to each section I cowash (I do it in 4s)
I use vatkia oil on my dry-ish bun to seal the ends
I use HH LTR or HH Hello Hydro as a moisterizer! I LOVE this stuff
I DC with anything but I add honey and EVOO which makes it utra soft.
I as (every week) with Creme of Nature in the green
I do protein sparingly

Hope that helps

Is there any point during the transition where mostly everone would experience some kind of hurdle (i.e., 6/8/10+ months post)?. I'm almost 6 months post and my new growth isn't bad at all. I have almost 3" new growth and I'm still able to detangle with ease (in the shower) and rollerset.

I'm just asking so that I can prepare myself for the worse to come.

I've read that months 6-10 can be frustrating...
Is there any point during the transition where mostly everone would experience some kind of hurdle (i.e., 6/8/10+ months post)?. I'm almost 6 months post and my new growth isn't bad at all. I have almost 3" new growth and I'm still able to detangle with ease (in the shower) and rollerset.

I'm just asking so that I can prepare myself for the worse to come.

I have been trying braid outs but not matter what I do I don't have curl definition and they come out looking a hot mess. So I think that I am going to give up on braid outs and just try flexirods for a tights set so that my new growth and relaxed hair blends in together.

All I do are braidouts (and now I have recently added twist-n-curls to my regi). They are really working well for me. I am 14 months post.

Are they completely dry when you take the braids down? If so, sounds like your hair may be too soft or holds too much moisture? Have you tried Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor? http://www.folica.com/ApHOGEE_Keratin_d332.html

My hair is very coarse, but when its too soft, I spray a little of this in as a leave in and it adds a little protein/strength to my hair and it holds the curls and gives more definition.:yep:

YAY!!!! You'll find tons of info and support here. Good luck!! how long do u think you'll go? (i'm going 2 years)

Thank you!!!! My first goal is gonna be 11 months and if im still hangin on ok i'll keep going from there...... I'm very glad to have so much support and dont have to go through this alone!

Back