New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

Naturalengineer

Ok, so I've been lurking around these boards for a while now, but now I really need help. First, a little about me: I was in elementary school when I got my first relaxer (maybe 9 or 10). Since then, I have been going to the hair salon every 2 weeks, getting relaxers every 6. A few years ago, I changed stylists and began to stretch my relaxers, going 16 weeks between relaxers just because I like my hair thicker. I've always wanted to go natural, but I thought you had to BC. When I learned that I didn't have to do that, I decided to transition.

So far, it's been 7 months, and my hair stylist has been doing my hair. However, I'm about to remove braids, and from there on, I plan on doing my own hair. My problem is that my hair is very thick, and I have never washed my own hair before, don't know what products to use, when to use them, how to style my hair w/o heat...I also work in corporate...I have lots of issues. Also, I have NO support whatsoever, and there are actually relatives that I won't tell that I'm transitioning b/c they'll have lots to say. So I am reaching out, researching, and looking for all of the help I can get b/c I'm going to need it.

Newbie2Beauty

chrisanddonniesmommy You bring up a very good point. I have noticed that as my new growth comes in so thick and full it makes my relaxed ends seem so pitiful. LOL. I've decided not to worry about trimming for right now because there is really no use. Just concentrating on keeping my hair happy. :yep:

Carmelella

8 1/2 months post in most of my head, maybe 5 months post in a 2x3inch section right in the front middle of my head (leave out for weaves). Every time i take down the weave i can't believe how much new growth I have. I'll be BC'ing in january to make it a full year.

PS: weaves, senegalese twists.

had one tiny set back in a small section of my hair, but i said who cares,.. it was the frail relaxer region that broke off anyways, lol

WriterGirl

Welcome Naturalengineer to transitioning. :)

I'm about the same timeframe as you for transitioning. My hair is between SL and APL, and right now I wash every 10 days and usually wear it up b/c it's just easier now.

I use Curlformers to stretch it out. I don't do braidouts or twistouts anymore because the two textures fight too much.:lol:

How long is your hair? How long do you plan to transition? I find that finding a style that keeps it "out of the way" works best.

Washing the hair I have to admit is an "opportunity" you really need to have patience, especially if you aren't used to doing your own hair.

You can check out my hair fotki link in my siggy for products and stuff.

I'm sure others will chime in...

Ok, so I've been lurking around these boards for a while now, but now I really need help. First, a little about me: I was in elementary school when I got my first relaxer (maybe 9 or 10). Since then, I have been going to the hair salon every 2 weeks, getting relaxers every 6. A few years ago, I changed stylists and began to stretch my relaxers, going 16 weeks between relaxers just because I like my hair thicker. I've always wanted to go natural, but I thought you had to BC. When I learned that I didn't have to do that, I decided to transition.

So far, it's been 7 months, and my hair stylist has been doing my hair. However, I'm about to remove braids, and from there on, I plan on doing my own hair. My problem is that my hair is very thick, and I have never washed my own hair before, don't know what products to use, when to use them, how to style my hair w/o heat...I also work in corporate...I have lots of issues. Also, I have NO support whatsoever, and there are actually relatives that I won't tell that I'm transitioning b/c they'll have lots to say. So I am reaching out, researching, and looking for all of the help I can get b/c I'm going to need it.

tarheelgurl

Next month I will be 8 months post and I'm just starting to get into some troubles with styling and taking care of 2 textures. I've finally discovered that flat twists are my friend to keep the edges looking decent. I'm no good at doing them on my own....so we will see if I get better. Roller sets...I don't know what to do to keep the new growth a little smoother. Maybe I need smaller rollers. Its like I have curls on top of an afro.....But I'll keep trying.

I'm hoping to transition for quite a while maybe 2 years. We will see how that goes. I'll probably investigate weaves when I get past the 1 year mark.

Hope everyone is having a good transition...!

Anaya-Amani

I'm doing really great w/my transition. I had my back cut into a bob yesterday which took off most of the permed hair. My front is ear length so it's going to take a while to get all of the permed ends off. I'm NOT BCing this time! I'm continuing my use of ceramides (Joico K-Pak) & Ayurvedic products for strength & color.

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

WriterGirl

Checking in at 8 months in this transitioning game today! :yep:

Last night, I did my my hair and since I had installed my water filter in my shower, I thought that maybe that was the reason my hair had been so manageable, so I didn't use my steamer but instead sat under my dryer with a plastic cap to DC.

No ma'am. :lol:

I noticed a *BIG* difference in my moisture retention. My natural hair was not as soft and manageable. The two textures were an "opportunity" in patience and it took me much longer to set my hair in Curlformers. It was NOT the business.

So my hair loves the water filter AND the steamer! This is good to know.

indarican

hope everyone is having a great monday!!! so i must say ECO styler gel is the TRUTH!!!. i have been having trouble finding a styler, mosturizer, gel anything that will keep my WACK patch down ( the one part of my head that is just retarded) I put some of this stuff on three days ago and it still looks awesome!!! will be washing my hair tonight, but for those that are looking for a good gel ECO styler!!! and it was only 4 bucks for a jar that will last me months at a time!!

Anaya-Amani

I had my hair cut this weekend & all of the relaxed ends are gone from my back! I'm growing my top out & cutting ends every 6-8 weeks.

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
So my girls & I are doing great with our transitioning. They still have their braids in but new growth is looking good. I measured my hair (tried to anyway) & in the back my length is 4.5 in, the middle & top is 5 in & the front is 3 in. Is that good growth since going natural? I still have some relaxed ends in the front but not going to cut those for a while.

Z-kitty

Had a major set back today after taking down my Senegalese twist. I didn't detangle before I washed so my hair matted which caused me to lose tons of relaxed ends. I'm not ready to big chop so im getting more braids on Friday. This hair is stressing me out.

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
I'm about 19 months into my transition. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to cut off the relaxed ends. I've been trimming about 3 inches every few 4-5 months since I started. I have about 4 inches of relaxed ends left. I'm a little hesitant to cut off all of the relaxed ends because it seems like I have more straight pieces in the front then the back. I don't want to have lopsided hair. LOL

I will post some pictures soon. Here is one of my progress:

I love how my natural hair feels. I'm still trying to figure out a quick style that last more than 2 days.

Still flat ironing once a month as well. I haven't had any problems with damage. My hair is actually pretty healthy and strong now, which is exciting. :grin:

Last edited:

sweetdreams23

So, After having twists in my hair for a month, I took them out yesterday and had my first real battle of dealing with these two textures.

Breakage and shedding...I thought I was gonna go bald last night....I blow dry and flat ironed my hair.

I learned a valuable lesson. I will be steaming, washing and conditioning in braids from now on.

05girl

I cannot believe it but I'm a lil over 11 months post relaxer. In some places I have about 4 inches of new growth.

I've been wearing a weave the past 4 months in an effort to grow hair and see what my curls look like. Before then I was flat ironing every week/2 weeks. Unfortunately the leave out mostly is straight. I'm going to take out the weave this weekend.. no lie, i'm afraid to deal with the hair. My twistouts always look like crap. The easiest route is just to flat iron.... I figure hey, I'm still keeping the creamy crack out of my hair. But I know this is a hindrance to retaining length which is my ultimate girl (can a girl reach SL?!)

MsDes

I'm new...
1. How far into the transition are you? I am 5 months post
2. Whats your transition goal? @ 8 months post on my B'day (Feb. 20)....maybe...lol

I am getting very frustrated dealing with the two textures. I plan don't plan on transitioning for long. I have a good amount of new growth already at 5 months post. I just might big chop for my b'day. We'll see. I just know I can't deal with this for too much longer.

MissDarcei

I am 13 weeks post texturizer now and its getting difficult to blend the textures at the front. The front seems to be growing in as a 3c/4a and the texturized ends have been heat damaged into very loose waves. Everywhere else seems to blend nicely. I really cant tell the difference. Anxious about my texture. So used to having long hair don't know how to deal with shrinkage from kinky hair.

NikkiGirl

Hey,

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi!

I have been transitioning for 24 months now and I hope to make it another year. We shall see. It is getting hard to keep my hair up all the time. It gets annoying!

BobbieDoll

I'm one year post! I don't remember when my last relaxer was so I'm using the day of the Christmas party I went to last year (Dec 9th) as my one year mark because I know I got one a few days before then. This year has flown by and for the most part I have been in braids (which I am in right now). I plan on doing my BC in February or March.

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
05girl

I'm just now seeing this! Lately, I've been doing a twist/bantu knot style. I got the idea from a you tube video called "beach waves for natural hair" or something like that. Sometimes it looks great and other times it looks terrible. It looks best when i blow dry my hair first. I think my straight ends are hindering my ability to try other styles. I'm planning to cut most of the relaxed ends off this week. I'll post some pictures. I'm hoping I can do a natural updo once I get these relaxed ends off.

BTW, I've gotten the most compliments when I just put 6-8 plaits in my hair for a braidout. That is a quick and easy style.

@shermaine_08 how have you been styling your hair day-to-day?

05girl

Hey shermaine_08 ! Thanks for responding.
I will have to search for that youtube video. I think my hair may be too short to look cute in the braid/wave styles... but I'm probably being hard on myself.

For the past few weeks I have been tucking my ends under to create a faux-bob. And sometimes doing ponies. I am totally hiding the ends like this M-F, except for special occasions.

I think it's working! My hair has had some solid growth.. I am sooooooooooooooo close to my should length goal! Maybe in another month or so.