New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!

Whimsy

You guys are all doing so well!!! I love seeing the different paths to natural you're all taking. Good Luck Ladies!!!

asubeauty

I'm getting bored with my hair. :sad: I can't wait for it to grow more so I can cut these straggly relaxed ends off...

Chameleonchick

Today I'm wearing chunky flat twists 4 of them. I took my kinky twists down yesterday morning. I am going to update my fotki tonight.

Sapphire_chic

yeah... for me the curls lasted about 4 hours. i'm a protective style junkie and i HAD to put my hair up. oh well...

i'm attaching some pictures of my new growth, although they're horrrible. i really need to get a good camera and stop using my webcam. if i have any hair twins/cousins i'd LOVE to hear from you.

(excuse my faces :look: )

wow your hair is gorgeous, my new growth has a very similar pattern, whats your texture liks at the back?

wooohoo i've just reached 16 months! i wonder if i have anywhere near 8 inches of new growth...i'll measure when i wash tonight :drunk::drunk:

MummysGirl

:yay: Can't wait to see pics :grin:
Today I'm wearing chunky flat twists 4 of them. I took my kinky twists down yesterday morning. I am going to update my fotki tonight.

:yahoo: 16 months!!!! Well done and HHG!!!!
wow your hair is gorgeous, my new growth has a very similar pattern, whats your texture liks at the back?

wooohoo i've just reached 16 months! i wonder if i have anywhere near 8 inches of new growth...i'll measure when i wash tonight :drunk::drunk:

MummysGirl

47 weeks post... in 5 weeks, I'll be one year post :yahoo: :yay:

I've had my hair in my middle siggy style for a week now... 2 more weeks then I'll take them out @ 49 weeks post. Leave my hair out for a week... my next braids (no extensions) @ 50 weeks post will be in for 2 weeks after which I'll take them out @ 52 weeks post :yahoo: I'll take some pictures then....

blksndrlla

I finally got a method of bunning that doesn't cause breakage for me...

working on my staples b/c i am finding my hair hates protein even in the slightest amounts...(that may be why the last few relaxers didn't work for me...my stylist used a protein-enriched relaxer...i was fine before then!)

I am down to co-washing twice a week, DCing once. I detangle down to the Denman once a week and down to the Jibere shower comb the other time...

I plan on BCing in August (25 months post) when I get back from studying abroad! It's kinda cool to have a date...

I will flat-iron and trim in december for my birthday...(my crown has MAJOR spits) and probably do a sew-in (Inspired by Soliel185 and Nichi) at the begnning of the year...

well, that's all for me...

DigitalRain

I've decided to transition. I am tired of relaxing every 6-8 weeks. This will be my second attempt. Last time I let my mom convince to me relax (I b/c at a little over a inch of new growth.) This time Im not cutting but letting it grow out. My last relaxer was 09/21. Ive been doing twistouts, and occasionally blowing out my roots and flat ironing.

Funny thing is when I was a kid my mom would alternate between pressing my hair and relaxing. I have an electric hot comb and I've thought about trying to warm press my roots.

Skiggle

I've decided to transition. I am tired of relaxing every 6-8 weeks. This will be my second attempt. Last time I let my mom convince to me relax (I b/c at a little over a inch of new growth.) This time Im not cutting but letting it grow out. My last relaxer was 09/21. Ive been doing twistouts, and occasionally blowing out my roots and flat ironing.

Funny thing is when I was a kid my mom would alternate between pressing my hair and relaxing. I have an electric hot comb and I've thought about trying to warm press my roots.

CONGRATS ON THE Decision TO TRANSITION!
:drunk::drunk::drunk:
We welcome you!!!
:)

blksndrlla

WELCOME to the party!!!!
:club:

Skiggle

47 weeks post... in 5 weeks, I'll be one year post :yahoo: :yay:

I've had my hair in my middle siggy style for a week now... 2 more weeks then I'll take them out @ 49 weeks post. Leave my hair out for a week... my next braids (no extensions) @ 50 weeks post will be in for 2 weeks after which I'll take them out @ 52 weeks post :yahoo: I'll take some pictures then....

You've been doing a great job!
I'm looking forward to the pics!!!!
:yep:
* I went out to eat at Benihana's on being 1 year post, lol
decided to treat myself*

DigitalRain

Thanks ladies!! I hope I can at least make it to the 6 month mark...Weaves are not an option for me, Im allergic to the chemicals used to process them. Ill be hanging out in this thread quite a bit to see what my other options are.:yep.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Still chugging along
I found an African store in Brooklyn that sells skin/hair products
I bought 4oz tubs of white and yellow shea butter 3 bucks each
Waaaay cheaper than whole foods 11 or so bucks for 2 oz of white shea butter
I'll make a mix when I take out my braids
And I'll definitely be making some shealoe

cocoaluv

Ok so my mom and I cut the hair and its not really a great cut but I'm getting it done tomorrow. Good luck all transitioning ladies!!!

Attachments

• CIMG1137.jpg
    CIMG1137.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 32
  • CIMG1127.jpg
    CIMG1127.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 35

blksndrlla

Ok so my mom and I cut the hair and its not really a great cut but I'm getting it done tomorrow. Good luck all transitioning ladies!!!

you did a BIG BC...that is so cute that you and your mom did it together! Enjoy your natural hair journey!!!

MummysGirl

:congrats: :band:
I BC'ed tonight!!!!

:welcome: :band2:
Thanks ladies!! I hope I can at least make it to the 6 month mark...Weaves are not an option for me, Im allergic to the chemicals used to process them. Ill be hanging out in this thread quite a bit to see what my other options are.:yep.

Thank you!!! Oooh, nice idea, I'll treat myself too :yep:
You've been doing a great job!
I'm looking forward to the pics!!!!
:yep:
* I went out to eat at Benihana's on being 1 year post, lol
decided to treat myself*

DigitalRain

So after talking to my mom today, I find out she's transitioning too!!! She's several months post, she can't remember the last relaxer. So we are doing this together!! She's offered to warm comb my hair every 2 weeks (like I did when I was little) and we probably will be doing our hair on the same day. Cool to have your mama has a transitioning partner!!

Last edited:

plastic

Ok i know this is going to sound a bit ... negative but I want to bc already ... i had planned to do it Jan next year ... but im thinking of doing it in December .. the only thing that is stopping me is .. wtf am I doing to do with it when i have all of my Christmas dinners to go to. How the hell can i wear a nice dress and wear a twa and look elegant? I know it sounds ignorant ... but i have yet to see a twa and a lady wearing a dress with it .. looking nice. Even Solange looks crappy in her white and pink ensemble ... sigh ..rant over

makingchangesVA

Dissapointed

I am currently transitioning (4 months since last relaxer). I have had micros in for the past 2 months. I am currently taking them out and called my hair stylist for an appt. I told her that I did not want to get a relaxer but I wanted to get a roller set- she flipped! She immediately began telling me all the reasons a roller set wouldn't work (I would have too much new growth, it wouldn't curl, etc). She also told me that most times if I wait too long to get a perm it would break off when I combed it. She also kept asking me when I thought I would get a perm. Finally I told her I wasn't sure if I would be getting another perm. She said she couldn't do the roller set but she could blow dry me out and flat iron me real good. I agreed to that, but later began thinking on it and decided to call back and cancel my appt. She was definately trying to pressure me into relaxing and I am dissappointed because as a stylist I think she should be more current regarding her knowledge of natural hair care. Now I am taking my braids out and wondering how in the world I can do my hair myself and make it look presentable :) any suggestions?

Skiggle

Re: Dissapointed

I am currently transitioning (4 months since last relaxer). I have had micros in for the past 2 months. I am currently taking them out and called my hair stylist for an appt. I told her that I did not want to get a relaxer but I wanted to get a roller set- she flipped! She immediately began telling me all the reasons a roller set wouldn't work (I would have too much new growth, it wouldn't curl, etc). She also told me that most times if I wait too long to get a perm it would break off when I combed it. She also kept asking me when I thought I would get a perm. Finally I told her I wasn't sure if I would be getting another perm. She said she couldn't do the roller set but she could blow dry me out and flat iron me real good. I agreed to that, but later began thinking on it and decided to call back and cancel my appt. She was definately trying to pressure me into relaxing and I am disappointed because as a stylist I think she should be more current regarding her knowledge of natural hair care. Now I am taking my braids out and wondering how in the world I can do my hair myself and make it look presentable :) any suggestions?

You can do a braidout/twistout to blend both textures.
Or do Bantu knots.
Look at Mummysgirl..
or youtube..
Your stylist is acting like an arse.

Shay72

Natural, 4A

I am currently transitioning (4 months since last relaxer). I have had micros in for the past 2 months. I am currently taking them out and called my hair stylist for an appt. I told her that I did not want to get a relaxer but I wanted to get a roller set- she flipped! She immediately began telling me all the reasons a roller set wouldn't work (I would have too much new growth, it wouldn't curl, etc). She also told me that most times if I wait too long to get a perm it would break off when I combed it. She also kept asking me when I thought I would get a perm. Finally I told her I wasn't sure if I would be getting another perm. She said she couldn't do the roller set but she could blow dry me out and flat iron me real good. I agreed to that, but later began thinking on it and decided to call back and cancel my appt. She was definately trying to pressure me into relaxing and I am dissappointed because as a stylist I think she should be more current regarding her knowledge of natural hair care. Now I am taking my braids out and wondering how in the world I can do my hair myself and make it look presentable :) any suggestions?

As Skiggle said you could try those styles or even try to rollerset yourself. l suggest you look for a stylist that is comfortable with natural hair. She sounds like you are taking her out of her comfort zone. You would be surprised with how many stylists are not knowledgeable about hair.

blksndrlla

there are TONS of options...For example, I am getting ready to do a Twist-n-Curl (www.curlynikki.com) when I get back from dinner. Don't let your stylist deter you! Early on I liked bantu knot outs...just get on you tube and search a way! My only warning is when watching YouTube videos be mindful of the products some people may select. They aren't always the best for your hair...jmo...

Sidenote: I made some shealoe and I am bubbling over with excitement to put it on my twists...It feels so great on my skin! :grin: