New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

:lachen: That's why I started a blog cos I want to share pictures often and I sometimes feel like I'm hijacking the thread.
Steph, I don't see enough pictures of your hair!!! And Platinum too :yep:

And EVERYONE :lol:

Aww, you're so pretty! I love how you styled your twists today :yep:

Thank you :grin:

MummysGirl, how are you uploading pictures without putting them in the album? It a pain to upload to album then you have to copy and post. Do share the easy way and maybe we all will be able to post

Kittykhat: Do you wear your hair "back" a lot (ponys, buns, slicked back)? My theory is that if you wear your hair "back" a lot it becomes trained to be stretched.
ITA. My hair in the front does have a curl pattern but it looks like a stretched curl pattern if that makes sense.

I can't take it anymore. I'm going back to daily cowashing. *hope I don't get sick*
I've been contemplating this myself. I'm thinking if I do it as soon as I wake up which is like clock work without an alarm clock :rolleyes: bw 5-6 am everyday by the time I leave it won't be sopping wet. On Wednesdays I would just cowash after my kickboxing class. Imma try and make it until March but not sure I will make it.

Shay, I was trying to make it until March as well but I can't handle trying to get all this hair into a dry bun. I'm going to try a new method for the next 2 weeks and see how it goes.

-cowash in 4 braids with Aussie Moist
-finger detangle
-rinse fully
-finger comb hair back
-apply Suave Humectress throughly
-light rinse
-blot with microfiber towel
-apply castor/olive oil mix
-make ponytail
-clip ponytail with octopus clip to let air dry for a few minutes
-braid ponytail and pin

we shall see...

MummysGirl, how are you uploading pictures without putting them in the album? It a pain to upload to album then you have to copy and post. Do share the easy way and maybe we all will be able to post

You can upload your pics to photobucket. That way all you have to do is copy and paste the link and your pic shows up. It even lets you upload them in different sizes. I use medium for the forum

I usually upload pictures from my fotki, so all I have to do is go to the picture I want to upload, select 'share photo', then 'hotlink image' and copy the html for 'BBCode thumbnail for forums:' or ''BBCode photo for forums:''

Now that I have a blog, I can also upload a picture from my blog by selecting 'insert image'
insertimage.gif
and put in the URL for the image (right click imag and select 'Properties').

HTH :)

Hope you're enjoying your 1st few days all natural :grin:

Ok guys the urge to BC is still there nagging in the back of my head. I'm trying really hard not to be impulsive. I won't do it until I'm 100% positive. I may go buy some hair and put kinky twists in this weekend lol

Hi all, I'd like to join this thread. I'm about 21 wks post. I'm transitioning forever, LOL. I plan to never do a bc. My step-sis has BSL natural 4a hair and she never BC'd just flat-ironed once a week. Right now I co-wash once a week and use GVP Silk Remedy as my leave in to air-dry. Then I'll either flat-iron or do a twist out. So far it's smooth sailing.

Hi all, I'd like to join this thread. I'm about 21 wks post. I'm transitioning forever, LOL. I plan to never do a bc. My step-sis has BSL natural 4a hair and she never BC'd just flat-ironed once a week. Right now I co-wash once a week and use GVP Silk Remedy as my leave in to air-dry. Then I'll either flat-iron or do a twist out. So far it's smooth sailing.

Awesome! Definitely check out the rest of this thread and the 2009 one for lots of inspiration

I'm still hanging in there. My journey has actually been a pleasant surprise. And let me tell you my steamer is fabulous, it has made my hair so much more moisturized and EXTREMELY easy to detangle, I have never had an easier time detangling, it's great. I got a weave put in last Friday and plan to leave it in for 2 months. I would post pics but I suck doing that, I only know how to put pics in my album. HHG ladies

Shay> I know exactly what you mean about stretched curls. My hair is exactly like that in the front.

Foxglove> I luuuuuurve my kinky twists. You won't even have to think about your hair at all. I co wash mine, and they dry pretty quick

Luvingme> WELCOME!!

Neekanator> See now, why did you have to come up in here talking about your steamer? The pj in me is bouncing off the walls :lachen:

I plan on washing my hair this weekend. I am almost 6 mths post and still don't really know my texture. I braid in corn rows so i will take them down for its once a month gold star treatment LOL and take pics of my NG. Any suggestions on the pics for texture shots?

I removed my Senegalese Twists yesterday and detangling was a really chore. I spent nearly all night detangling. My NG is so thick and wild, I tried taking pics with my phone but that didnt work out so well. I believe that I may be a 4b/4c because my coils are like pen springs. I'll probably be back in braids before the end of the week.:ohwell:

I plan on washing my hair this weekend. I am almost 6 mths post and still don't really know my texture. I braid in corn rows so i will take them down for its once a month gold star treatment LOL and take pics of my NG. Any suggestions on the pics for texture shots?
I've been thinking about this also. I usually take "texture" shots before setting/braiding while my hair is still damp which probably isn't the best way to get an idea of true texture- "closeup" shots is probably a more accurate description.

Anyways, here's what I'm thinking of doing to get an accurate look: dry, unstretched hair with no product (aside from leave-in, perhaps) and parted from ear to ear. Camera held above head or placed directly behind head with timer set. Placing a small section of hair against a white sheet of paper or something else that provides a contrasting background might help too.:scratchch Some of the ladies have also bc'd a small, obscure section to get an idea of how their curl pattern looks w/o the relaxed ends hanging on.

Here's a pic to illustrate the ear-to-ear part:

000_0046-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this also. I usually take "texture" shots before setting/braiding while my hair is still damp which probably isn't the best way to get an idea of true texture- "closeup" shots is probably a more accurate description.

Anyways, here's what I'm thinking of doing to get an accurate look: dry, unstretched hair with no product (aside from leave-in, perhaps) and parted from ear to ear. Camera held above head or placed directly behind head with timer set. Placing a small section of hair against a white sheet of paper or something else that provides a contrasting background might help too.:scratchch Some of the ladies have also bc'd a small, obscure section to get an idea of how their curl pattern looks w/o the relaxed ends hanging on.

I will try this method over the weekend and post some shots. I don't think I'm bold enough to chop even a little right now :lachen:

me too I know I can make it past 18 months, I am in it for the long run, it gets hard and depressing sometimes but I would rather have MY HAIR natural, than dealing with relaxers, I have been using relaxers for 19 years I think my hair deserves a break

I feel you! My mom gave me a relaxer as a small child, so I have had one continuously for about 17 or 18 yrs. now. I just know I'll have a better chance at healthy hair if I grow out the perm.

Just took out my bun from my cowash this morning!!! My hair is soft moisturized and extraaaa defined from the Suave Humectress and castor/olive oil i left in. I couldn't resist attaching this one picture...

Last edited:
haven't checked in in a while. i'll be 21 weeks post this upcoming Satuday, and all is well. i found that when i leave my hair alone, it seems to do better than if i constantly manipulate it. for the past month, i've been washing my hair, drying it on curlformers, flat-ironing straight, and moisturizing daily / wearing it straight for 2 weeks at a time. i never thought i'd be one of those people that only washes their hair 1x every 2 weeks, but it's really working for me!!

my hair's never been in better condition, but i'll lay off the heat for the next 2 months to give it a break.

You guys are doing GREAT with your transtion. I particularly love seeing the snap shots of your pretty coils. KUTGW!!!

I will try this method over the weekend and post some shots. I don't think I'm bold enough to chop even a little right now :lachen:
I'll be looking forward to them!:yep:

haven't checked in in a while. i'll be 21 weeks post this upcoming Satuday, and all is well. i found that when i leave my hair alone, it seems to do better than if i constantly manipulate it. for the past month, i've been washing my hair, drying it on curlformers, flat-ironing straight, and moisturizing daily / wearing it straight for 2 weeks at a time. i never thought i'd be one of those people that only washes their hair 1x every 2 weeks, but it's really working for me!!

my hair's never been in better condition, but i'll lay off the heat for the next 2 months to give it a break.
I'm trying this approach. When I first started transitioning I was doing sets twice a week - bantu knot outs, etc. Then I started wearing half-wigs in the summer and only setting the front of my hair. Now, out of sheer laziness :lol: and a healthy fear of over-manipulation, I'm just gonna keep it cornrowed for a month and wig it. Depending on how my hair fares, I might flat iron. I like your idea of stretching it on curlformers. Last time I flat ironed, I stretched it in braids overnight. I was thinking of doing tension blow-drying the next time, but I'm afraid of heat so curlformers might be a good compromise.

Glad your new regimen is working for you!

I managed to look somewhat decent yesterday with my updo and curls!:lachen: Keep up the good work everyone!

Attachments

• Angel 012810-3.jpg
    Angel 012810-3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Angel 012810.jpg
    Angel 012810.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Angel 012810-4.jpg
    Angel 012810-4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 41
ok guys I finished the kinky twists. I don't think I can have my hair free and not BC lol
I'll re-evaluate at 15-16 months. I want so badly to make it to 18 months but every time I see my NG I want to just snip and wear a wash and go or a puff
So it's back to braids. Here is a pic
DSC06080-vi.jpg

ETA I cut 3-4 inches off so it's a full SL now

Last edited:
Back