New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

cch24

You & cch24 said the same thing and it makes so much sense. Your new growth fitting in a bun or in your ponytail. I guess until then the buns will look a bit different :lachen:. How far into your transitions did this happen ladies? TIA.

I would say that around month 9 or 10 I could fit all my new growth in a mid/high bun. I'm pretty sure at this point all of my new growth fits into a low bun as well, and I'm 15 months post.

WiseLotus

Hello everybody!
I am 22 weeks post (as of yesterday), and I want to transition until January 11, or until my hair is naturally longer than it is now.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
This morning was a fail :nono:. I just have to realize my hair is in that awkward stage. I hear months 6-9 are the best :rolleyes:. I keep repeating to myself "this will be so worth it. Your natural hair is beautiful". Hopefully this will hold me until March when I will become a cowashing fool again.

Ltown

Greyland
This morning was a fail :nono:. I just have to realize my hair is in that awkward stage. I hear months 6-9 are the best :rolleyes:. I keep repeating to myself "this will be so worth it. Your natural hair is beautiful". Hopefully this will hold me until March when I will become a cowashing fool again.
Maybe you tried a different product and that why it did not work. You'll be fine hang it there.

MummysGirl

Hey Shay... I guess I was lucky to avoid this stage because I started doing pixie braids around the same point you're at right now.

Are those an option for you? Or maybe cornrows in front and braids at the back?

If not, do you wash in sections (braids)? I only started doing this under 2 months ago but it's made a huge difference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9aaay7qeQ). By the time my hair's completely dry, it's so easy to deal with because most of my new growth is stretched out. A scarf helps too.

You'll be fine :yep:

Ltown

Greyland
I'm done transitioning cut the last bit of relaxer off Tuesday 19th Jan. I'll post picture soon. Please wait until you know your natural texture before you start cutting. I know many have said they have 2-3 textures and I did not know all of mine. I have some very straight hair in middle front that I could not tell for nothing. I let all my hair dry thinking I could sport Afro well it too soft anyway but the middle front just was not comforming. So I assume it was relaxer, well it not. I said to myself girl that why you could never have afro when you were younger and after going natural several time I never lasted this length so did not know I had some straight hair. Anyway now I'm at the style transitioning phase! Happy Transitioning

MummysGirl

:congrats:

I can't wait to see pictures!!!!!!

Make sure you still hang with us.

:yay:
I'm done transitioning cut the last bit of relaxer off Tuesday 19th Jan. I'll post picture soon. Please wait until you know your natural texture before you start cutting. I know many have said they have 2-3 textures and I did not know all of mine. I have some very straight hair in middle front that I could not tell for nothing. I let all my hair dry thinking I could sport Afro well it too soft anyway but the middle front just was not comforming. So I assume it was relaxer, well it not. I said to myself girl that why you could never have afro when you were younger and after going natural several time I never lasted this length so did not know I had some straight hair. Anyway now I'm at the style transitioning phase! Happy Transitioning

Shay72

Natural, 4A
MummysGirl & ltown--Thanks!

MummysGirl--I've been washing it in sections for a while now. Managing it is fine. I'm just style challenged and I just hate the way it looks with the different textures.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I just took my braids out. It only took me 3 days [/sarcasm]. Remind me never to get micros ever again
On the other hand now I'm not so sure about waiting 18 months before BCing. I have a good bit of natural growth and I think it wouldn't look so bad if I BC'ed now. I'm about 50/50 on BCing now. I put some Tigi Moisture Maniac and I will DC overnight. I'll give myself a week to decide
ETA I will be 14 months post in a week
I'll put pics up tomorrow when FH leaves for work and I can really play with my hair lol

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Shay, hang in there. Maybe some braids or something else that would let you leave your hair alone for a while?

Welcome WISELOTUS
Congrats on your BC LTOWN
You and I are around the same point DR. J!!

As for me ladies.............I SNIPPED!!!

Well, only 3 of my kinky twists, LOL. They slipped out while I was co-washing and I just had to see what it would look like without the ends, so I snipped. Just a little in the back. This is wet with Giovanni Direct.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i'm bored with my hair. i think i might bite the bullet and finally try some kinky twists in feb. i just pray those things don't fall out and embarrass me. ♥

caligirl2385

Shay, hang in there. Maybe some braids or something else that would let you leave your hair alone for a while?

Welcome WISELOTUS

Well, only 3 of my kinky twists, LOL. They slipped out while I was co-washing and I just had to see what it would look like without the ends, so I snipped. Just a little in the back. This is wet with Giovanni Direct.
cute curlies!!

MummysGirl

:bat:What happened to our pact?!?!?!?! Everyone's leaving me:cry3:

:lachen: Ok, seriously... are you sure? Think hard about it and I'm sure a little voice in your head will tell you to do the right thing and wait till you're 18 months post :look: :lol:

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new growth today.

I just took my braids out. It only took me 3 days [/sarcasm]. Remind me never to get micros ever again
On the other hand now I'm not so sure about waiting 18 months before BCing. I have a good bit of natural growth and I think it wouldn't look so bad if I BC'ed now. I'm about 50/50 on BCing now. I put some Tigi Moisture Maniac and I will DC overnight. I'll give myself a week to decide
ETA I will be 14 months post in a week
I'll put pics up tomorrow when FH leaves for work and I can really play with my hair lol

LoveCraze

Naturalista

Congrats ltown, I bet it's beautiful. :lick:

But ITA about knowing your hair texture before cutting. I was just playing in my hair a little yesterday. Now, I don't know if it's because I've been wearing my hair in a bun lately and it has been stretched, or if this is just my texture; but a section of hair I pulled forward in the front and then dampened did not have a definite curl only waves for the most part. (I was so tempted to cut it but decided against it since I like to wear this part of my hair pulled back.) I know I would have to be careful with this section when I do decide to BC. I just had a thought though. You know how our hair looks when we put it in two strand twists? When I did mine, I could clearly see where my natural hair met with my relaxed hair due to the thickness. I wonder if this would be a good technique for BC-ing. Kinda like dusting your ends except you are taking off all the relaxed ends. I have a feeling this would work. Plus you'd be able to tell if you had any relaxed ends remaining by the curl/straight hair left on the ends.:rolleyes:
What do ya'll think?

MummysGirl

:eek: Steph, get out of my head! :lol:

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing but with box braids. As I was taking them out last week, there was a clear difference between both textures and I think that's how I'll cut off my relaxed ends - I'll start with while the braids are in, take them out and continue.

Congrats ltown, I bet it's beautiful. :lick:

But ITA about knowing your hair texture before cutting. I was just playing in my hair a little yesterday. Now, I don't know if it's because I've been wearing my hair in a bun lately and it has been stretched, or if this is just my texture; but a section of hair I pulled forward in the front and then dampened did not have a definite curl only waves for the most part. (I was so tempted to cut it but decided against it since I like to wear this part of my hair pulled back.) I know I would have to be careful with this section when I do decide to BC. I just had a thought though. You know how our hair looks when we put it in two strand twists? When I did mine, I could clearly see where my natural hair met with my relaxed hair due to the thickness. I wonder if this would be a good technique for BC-ing. Kinda like dusting your ends except you are taking off all the relaxed ends. I have a feeling this would work. Plus you'd be able to tell if you had any relaxed ends remaining by the curl/straight hair left on the ends.:rolleyes:
What do ya'll think?

dr.j

Welcome WISELOTUS

Your curls are so cute!!
How long are transitioning? I'm aiming for 24 months.... if I can make it :look:

datladystunna

I finally subsribed!!! I am 4 months since my last perm. Not sure yet how long i plan to transition. Right now I am wearing a sew in. Dont really have a regime yet! I will post pics soon once I take out my sew in! Thinking of doing single braids next! Cant wait to see the new growth!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

:lachen: Ok, seriously... are you sure? Think hard about it and I'm sure a little voice in your head will tell you to do the right thing and wait till you're 18 months post :look: :lol:

Ok MG I came back to my senses after seeing my shrunken length
I'm sitting under the dryer right now setting my twist n curl/curly fro
I do have some pics in the meanwhile

Here is my shrunken length

Here is an attempt at a texture shot

Here is a little coily near the front

And here is a pic of my shrinkage. From NL to CBL

MummysGirl

:yay: for shrinkage!!!

I see huge progress! I remember the picture you posted in last year's transitioner thread (which you had in your siggy for a short while) and there's a huge difference in length :yep:

I :love: that little coily!

Looking forward to seeing even more pictures :)
Ok MG I came back to my senses after seeing my shrunken length
I'm sitting under the dryer right now setting my twist n curl/curly fro
I do have some pics in the meanwhile

Here is my shrunken length

Here is an attempt at a texture shot

Here is a little coily near the front

And here is a pic of my shrinkage. From NL to CBL

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower

^^ :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ltown

Greyland
I'm not leaving this group because although I'm natural I'll still be style transitioning. Learning how to style and manage your natural hair is a transition and everyone have so many great ideas especially StephElise and Mummygirl! I need to stay update. I still don't like my braidout/twistout but that just about me getting use to the BIG hair!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Ladies I feel a little better today. I was having a moment :rolleyes:. I may only transition 18 months. 2 years is a loooooong freaking time :lol:.

Ltown

Greyland
Ladies I feel a little better today. I was having a moment :rolleyes:. I may only transition 18 months. 2 years is a loooooong freaking time :lol:.

See you had a good wash/DC and turn it around. It seems so far that my hair like to be fresh when styling.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Ok I finished the twist n curl/curly fro. I made a few mistakes (too much product, too small rollers) but I'll wear it for a couple of days

Last edited: