POLL: Which length goal was your most challenging?

Which hair length goal was your Most challenging to accomplish? and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScorpioBeauty09

BSL. It's the length I can't seem to get to. Last year I reached APL-BSB then lost 4 inches in a setback. About a month ago I got within 1.5-2 inches of BSL then had my left side even out with my right, costing me at least an inch. I'm back to APL-BSB, I'm hoping I can finally get to BSL by the end of the summer and MBL by the end of the year.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
For me it was SL, because I started from scalp. Then I couldn't figure out if I wanted to stay natural, and BC'd a few times. I was also all over the place with my regimen. By the time I hit SL, I was mostly clear on everything by that time. APL is just a matter of sticking to what I'm doing.

butter_pecan

This is me right now. I can get to MBL, but getting past that is a pain. I kept cutting it b/c I was getting SSKs again. Can you share how you modified your reggie to get to WL?

butter_pecan

Honestly, I stopped using a lot of heat (only straighten my hair consistently for 2-3 months out the year, now) and I deep condition my hair a lot more. I keep it detangled constantly with a wide-tooth comb, use leave-in conditioner and natural oils and bun it a lot more. I also really like evening primrose oil for growth.

brg240

i think wl. It was hard to get to it for some reason. There is a lot of back to cover. Also, i started at mbl so i didn't know what i was doing. I also had setbacks. Getting to wl was a struggle. After, reaching wl i had a little bit more of a handle on my hair. I know that if i cut my hair to wl i can get to hl in about half a year. (i've done it 3 times because of my transition)

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I think getting to APL was the most frustrating to me. Now I'm trying to get to WL from BSL, and remaining patient is a challenge.

ETA: I voted HL, since I've never imagined it to be a goal of mine.

Last edited:

scarcity21

butter_pecan said:
Honestly, I stopped using a lot of heat (only straighten my hair consistently for 2-3 months out the year, now) and I deep condition my hair a lot more. I keep it detangled constantly with a wide-tooth comb, use leave-in conditioner and natural oils and bun it a lot more. I also really like evening primrose oil for growth.

@ butter_pecan, how do u use the evening primrose oil for growth?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
APL hands down! I'm curious to see if I feel the same way once other lengths have been reached. But for the moment APL is a serious hurdle to get over.

Fab79

i can not get to BSL for the life of me, previously i would have said APL because from SL to APL seemed like forever, but now i seem stuck at APL so i'm finding BSL hard and my goal of MBL is no far from BSL but i cannot get to BSL for the life of me, i need to up my hair game

KaramelDiva1978

I voted BSL because I have never seen that length in my hair journey. Ever. Lol. I am hitting APL again and I am on a serious mission to see BSL by Spring. The last time I hit APL I started wearing my hair out and got lazy with my regimen.

I bun and rollerset as protective styling. My only heat is my hair dryer as needed and I deep condition weekly. 2013 at the latest since I should reach 3 more inches this year.

Vintagecoilylocks

Full TBL has been elusive to me. I made it to waist so fast when I first improve or should I say created a mind set and new regimine. I past by hip and on my way to TBL or so I thought. I hit BCL( I used to think it was TBL) and then disaster. Shedding. Five years of it and no gaining of length. When it stoped last year I began again with a mess of hair that had now also had developed natural layers.
So I have since pasted BCL and TBL but have layers up to BSL. So Full TBL is still something I have yet to achieve. Working on it though. My final goal has always been a full Classic Braid. So now I am just shooting for a nice full terminal length where ever that is.

ellebelle88

Definitely BSL. I have always been close but never got to BSL. Either I have a setback or I have to trim/cut my hair for some reason.

sylver2

shoulder length..it took forever to get from ear length to sl. forever! i couldnt do anything with it, it looked shaggy and uneven.

prospurr4

Waistlength (my current length) was the hardest for me to achieve for the following reasons:

- Waiting too long to dust/trim my ends. I now trim every 3 months.

- Using rollers that were too small to rollerset my hair. Spiral sets were a great low-maniplulation style that helped get me to BSL. However after reaching that length, I continued setting my hair on 5/8" rollers. :nono: My ends would get so tangled and breakage would be everywhere.

After I corrected the above, I saw an obvious improvement in my length retention.

BraunSugar

APL. I was stuck in limbo between CBL and APL for well over half a year thanks to anemia and very very low iron levels. Now that my levels are close to normal, I am hoping to be grazing BSL by mid Jan. :) Kind of ambitious, but I think I am going to find a protective style that works for me or maybe switch to finger detangling and go from there.

regina07

Tailbone for me. the past 2 months, I've had shedding and breakage after I did a 1.5" trim. Hair was growing (the incoming grey hairs are getting longer!) but I haven't retained anything. Matter-of-fact, I've had severe mid-strand breakage. I didn't really notice until recently when it's obvious I have curly fuzz all over my head.

Some of the shedding is menopause hormone but some of it is laziness. I stopped following my reggie religiously. Bad move.

JetBlackCurly

You know, i went from APL to MBL in less then 6 months without really even trying, NOW I'm actually trying to go from MBL to WL and have been at it for at least 3 months or more with what seems like maaaayybeee an inch of growth!??! Smh :/ this is my first time setting an actual goal so it could be the whole "watching the clock" thing but ionno... So i guess for now i could say WL.

ETA: I'm short...prolly why my expectations are so high! :grin:

Last edited:

deedoswell

I voted for BSL because it continues to be a challenge for me now - so close but not there yet. But honestly it was getting to APL that was the longest - I too am a slow grower!

Seamonster

Going from BC to SL is the hardest hurdle to me. The reason is simple, I can't wear a bun, so my hair is unprotected, if I gel my sides down it could cause traction alopecia, and the SSK's war is on. Once I get to full shoulder length, I can place my hair into a loose bun, and have gotten to BSB in nine months.

Of course for those going for classic, that must be tough because we still don't know how many of us have hair that will grow that long, or what hair styling sacrifices have to made to achieve healthy classic length hair.

lexxi

Getting apl is the hardest because I'm still learning how to deal with my hair natural in the summer . My shrinks really short and tangles so last year our air went out in late aug it was so hot it would shrink as soon as I blew it out and I don't like twists in my hair and I was broke cause of vacation lol but I know I can do it this year ,I'm more educated and now that my hair is thicker I can wear my big buns keeping it stretched .

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

irisak

I vote APL. I think for most of us when we start our HHJ that is the first length goal that sounds truly "long" since most of us have always been able to maintain and retain SL. (or at least that was the case for me.)

cocomama

Full bsl has eluded me for a while. i did reached bsl a few months ago ,but not full bsl. In may I cut off 3 inches, i have since regained full apl. i hope to be full bsl by november/december.

I think i got lazy with moisturizing my hair daily. Now that my split ends are gone and i have tighten up my regimen game, I finally have a great start to reaching longer lengths this time.

koolkittychick

APL has been the toughest nut to crack for me. I can get to CBL fairly easily, but getting past that has been a war I've been trying to win for the last 3 years or so. The biggest hurdle for me was trying to figure out what my hair would tolerate without breaking off and causing me setbacks. Now that I know it prefers Paul Mitchell products, relaxers every 3 months or more, NO HEAT WHATSOEVER and lots of protective styling that keeps my hands out of it for most of the week, it has begun to respond and I am S L O W L Y working my way towards APL such that I may reach it by the end of the year. :lick: