Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

blackberry815

Starting Length/Goal Length: BSL (approaching mid back)
Why You Rollerset: To dry my hair, to keep my ends healthy, to stretch relaxers and for the love of the bounce
How Often:1x per week
Products: Lacio Lacio, Silken Child leave in detangler, aphogee keratin green tea
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) wide tooth comb, fine tooth comb, Pibbs 514
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Keep the hair wet on the rollers..

Attachments

• my hair.jpeg
    my hair.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 192

tasha5951

This may be a dumb question but...are rollersets considered a protective style? I really want to start expanding my protective style tool box and I'd love to learn how to roller set.

kennedy1

KIKI
OMG I want in...I just got a pibbs for Christmas and I am not that great with hair so I need all the tips I can get on roller setting.

kennedy1

KIKI
I am thinking about getting senegalese twist so I may not be able to join so fast but I will be back to see what you ladies have come up with.

alive

Looking at pics from earlier this year, I'm pretty sure that I've retained as much length in the past month as I have all year :nono:. And what have I been doing this past month? Braid n'curls. It's definitely been working only took me forever to find this method :ohwell:.

Since I'm doing the Hide Your Hair challenge, I won't really be taking pics of what a braid n'curl looks like when I take it down. Here's a pic I took a few weeks ago to give ya'll an idea.

I'll try to post pics of the buns I do. Though I don't think that they'll be very exciting. lol.

the important thing is that you found something that works for you and from the picture, it looks really cute :yep:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
This may be a dumb question but...are rollersets considered a protective style? I really want to start expanding my protective style tool box and I'd love to learn how to roller set.

i guess they would be considered low manipulation, as in once you set your hair, you don't really need to comb or brush it for a week. my understanding of protective styles is that the ends have to be tucked away to be a "true" protective style.

RossBoss

Starting Length/Goal Length: A little above shoulder length. That is my goal length. I just cut my hair from MBL to SL because I came to the conclusion that shorter hair fits me best.

Why You Rollerset: I love traditional curls and waves and rollersetting is the only way to achieve this.

How Often: I wash and deep condition my hair twice per week and in between I use a 5 minute setting lotion for overnight curls.

Products: Lottabody Creamwrap for wet sets and a 5 minute setting lotion for maintenance

Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) - I have a couple of vintage GE vintage dryers. The one with the hose and the elastic hood. I travel a lot and it is small enough to put in my carry on. I will be using wave clips for waves, mesh rollers for regular sets. I have some mesh rollers that I have not used yet but enough posters have convinced me that it allows for a quicker drying time. I put Infusium Leave in conditioner plus Lottabody Creamwrap in my hair for setting. After I take the rollers out, I usually slather a little olive oil on my hair for a nice shine.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: I have no idea. LOL. I guess it would be not to use too much product.

fivetimestwo

Starting Length/Goal Length: grazing BSL transitioning/APL natural
Why You Rollerset: to break up the monotony, stretch hair w/o the flat iron, take a break from boring protective styles
How Often: I plan on roller setting bi-weekly in 2011
Products: I use perfect results setting lotion and Sally's knock off skinny serum
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) I've always used magnetic rollers, but I'd like to master the ones that you use clips to secure. I also would like to master flexi rod sets but I've been too scared to even attempt those. I had been using my mom's old Lady Dazey dryer but my DH bought me a Babybliss Pro Ionic dryer for Christmas so I'll be using that from now on. I will be driving Miss Dazey to the nearest curb to be picked up with the trash!
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: keep your hair wet, not damp, while rolling! I always keep a spray bottle handy to re-wet sections as I go. Roller sets come out much smoother this way.

ckisland

Rollersetting in of itself isn't a protective style, but it can be a low manipulation style. I plan on bunning for my protective yet I'm rollersetting to prep my hair.

SqrpioQutie

i've slacked on my hair for the longest so it's time for me to get back on my game - so i'm in....

Starting Length/Goal Length: right at shoulder length thanks to a very aggressive trim last week *bittersweet*/BSL (the length in my avi)
Why You Rollerset: i need to slow down my heat usage and roller setting will be the best way to do it...
How Often: i plan to set at least twice per week
Products: still figuring that out
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) magnetic rollers... my pibbs that has been neglected for about a year...

danysedai

Starting Length/Goal Length: APL, goal full BSL.
Why You Rollerset:It has helped with retention and I love my hair with more volume, not super flat and straight like when I use a flat iron.
How Often: Every weekend, sometimes twice a week.
Products: detangle with wide tooth comb, use Leave in conditioner, spray bottle with some aphogee green tea,chi silk infusion and a bit of leave in, all in small quantities, top it off with water. fine tooth comb to smooth hair on roller.
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?)Magnetic rollers (combination of grey and purple), metallic hair clips that MsKibibi recommended, hair net and my Pibbs.
I rollerset up to get more volume and hair dries faster, make sure hair is very wet,ends lying flat on the roller, use tension method and that's all.
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Patience and practice!

xmasbaby78

I'm definitely in!!

Starting Length: BSL, but I think I am going to start the year off right by getting a good trim!

Goal Length: Full waist lenght

Why You Rollerset:
Low manipulation, low heat, NO FLAT IRON, healthier ends and stretching my relaxer
**Plus, I won a drawing at my favorite salon for a free rollerset every week for an entire year**

How Often: Weekly

Products:
Keracare or Elasta QP at the salon. Then throughout the week, I lightly oil my scalp and my ends with castor or Coconut Milk Anti Breakage Serum.

Techniques/Tools:
Tan or green magnetic rollers and hooded dryer at the salon, bonnet and purple flexi-rods when it's old and I put it in a ponytail.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: let it dry and don't over do it with the setting lotion!

Curlybeauty

I'm going to attempt to join this challenge.

I'm in between SL and APL, and my goal is to be at least full APL by this time next year if not further along.

I plan on using up my Cantu leave-in repair creme, my vitale foam wrap, and the rest of my chi silk and garnier fructise serum.

My goal is 1x every week.

I plan on using magnetic rollers, fine and wide tooth combs, my dryer attatchment to dry, and thats about it.

Wish me luck!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
so i just bought some new flexirods that i'll be trying tonight-the orange ones.
i really don't usually restyle so soon (just did this perm rod set on saturday night), but man...when you get a new product or tool, you know how it is.
unfortunately, i won't be posting pics of it since i dropped my camera and it's broken. :(

ckisland

@ Rocky91, My camera's broken too and I lost the usb cord! So I have to take all of my pics with my phone :ohwell:.

Last night I went all out for my hair :grin:. The whole time I kept my hair loosely braided in 4 sections. I did a coconut milk deep condition (which I didn't actually like very much), shampooed with Come Clean, cowashed, comb detangled, and did a braid n'curl with MyHoneyChild type 3 and 4 moisturizing creams. It came out pretty ok. My ends weren't as smooth and sleek as usual. Next time I'm going to try Cantu leave-in and maybe sealing with oil.

Last edited:

Luscious850

Update: Since the weather is freezing out here. It is best that I not leave it out, at least not for Dec/January, it gets pretty bad. So I got my hair braided this past Saturday. I will be leaving it in for only 6 weeks. My next scheduled relaxer is on the 13th of February. I want these braids out a week before then so I can prepare my hair for the relaxer. Soooo.. with this install the rest of my stretch is pretty much laid out for me. The only challenge is keeping these braids in and caring for them. I have a crazy tendency of wanting to see and touch my hair when I have my hair hidden away

My regimen in braids:
~Wash/Condition once per week
~Cowash once per week
~Moisturize Daily

Goal Stretch: 12 weeks

After this winter stretch I will resume my weekly roller sets.

niknakmac

I'm in

Starting Length/Goal Length:
Starting length is shoulder length when not curled. My short term goal is full shoulder and getting rid of the layers I have due to a major nasty setback. Long term goal is grow, grow, grow.

Why You Rollerset:
Haha I got my pibbs514 as a birthday gift after crying about wanting one due to my hair misfortunes. I have been forewarned that I better use it regularly or else it is getting traded in for a flat screen TV.

Also I just don’t think my hair is even doing well with a weekly blow dry. The amount of hair I lose during a blow dry compared to rollersetting is actually huge. I was amazed especially because I never thought I would be able to use a rattail on my new growth.

How Often:
Twice a week after a deep condition.

Products:
leave in conditioner, super skinny and I might pick up some chi for shine. After I take out my rollers I will rub on some avocado butter.

Techniques/Tools:
Pibbs 514, wide tooth and rattail combs, magnetic rollers turquoise and yellow with metal clamps( I can’t wait to have to use bigger rollers) and I may buy some perm rods.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting:
Don’t give up. I won’t give up on reaching my hair goals or using healthier hair management techniques.

Lilpaw

Now this I can do :grin:

Starting Length/Goal Length: MBL currently but may be BSL after Jan 5th trim/WL

Why You Rollerset: Low manipulation, most manageable for me

How Often: 1x/week. Will be wearing off shoulder or in a bun for the winter.

Products: Experimenting with various organic lines. This week, Giovanni.

Techniques/Tools: Mohawk technique using magnetic rollers (wishing for ceramics in the near future), ION Ionic and Carel Soft Bonnet Dryer.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Thin sections and make sure ends are wet and perfectly smoothed over roller.

carlapd

I'd like to join

Starting Length/Goal Length:
My hair is currently very short, Rihanna cut and Goal length for now is back to my NL bob, got alot of growing to do in 2011

Why- My hair grows pretty fast when I do rollersets. Also if I dont see my hair out, (flat ironed) I am less focused on how slow it seems to be growing. Right now I really dont want to do microbraids so this is the next best option at least for now

Frequency- Once per week, co wash with DC, Shea moisture shampoo once per month

Products - Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave in, Fantasia IC Liquid Mousse Setting Lotion, Water/Coconut oil mixture to re-wet

Techniques/Tools - Baby Bliss Hood Dryer, wide tooth and rat tail comb, and perm rods

Advice - Patience, Patience and more Patience when rolling the hair. I hope to increase my speed thru this challenge

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
welcome to our new joiners!!
has anyone done any sets recently that they want to share pics of?? :D
my large (grey) magnetic rollerset last night came out a H.A.M. i tried the mohawk method and it was a natural disaster. how in the hayell am i supposed to fit all them big things on my head?? HELP!
however, i can see the potential in this, because the few sections that were done properly came out perfectly smooth and bouncy.

but for now, i'll stick to my flexirod sets and the smaller magnetics, because i've got those DOWN.:yep:

niknakmac

I may deep condition and rollerset tonight. I was planning on doing it tommorow thinking that Saturday was new years. However, since it has nicely been pointed out that tommorow is NYE i will try and get it in tonight. If not tonight it probably won't happen until Sunday after church. My set will be on yellow magnetic rollers so i should have a prety tight curl that will hopefully last three or four days.

destine2grow

i want 2 join! i dont know how 2 rollerset but i need 2 learn! i also have a breakage area that i want 2 grow out! I'm nl in the back and 1.5 on the sides below el! i dont currently know what products im going to use! i do have lotta body and aphogee foam wrap! I also have the GVP version of chi silk fusion! With the help of you ladies I'm sure i can do it! I'm buying my blow dryere today!

Curlybeauty

I'm so excited ladies!!

Not only did I attempt my first rollerset today on my own, it was pretty darn successful too!!

So i'm well on my way for the new year and this challenge!! I think I will try to do these sets every 2 weeks or so. I just don't see it happening every week.

Hopefully I will be able to save my ends now!!!

Happy New Year!

For this set, I used Cantu as my leave-in, applied some chi silk all over and more on each section as needed, LOTS of water, and the turquoise blue and yellow rollers for my bangs.

I will have to get a net so I can dry with it. I will go snap some pics and attach them later...

I flat ironed the roots out a bit, and that is what I got!!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20101231_1.JPG
    Snapshot_20101231_1.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

theLovelyStyle

I love rollersetting! I hate how long it takes though.

Starting Length/Goal Length: APL
Why You Rollerset: For bouncy, shiny, fragrant, wearable hair after washing/cowashing the night before.

How Often: 2-3x a week.

Products: Castor oil, ors moisturizing lotion, scurl, wave nv.

Techniques/Tools: Magnetic rollers, sometimes I use a hooded dryer, most I air dry overnight. Detangle. Mohawk method.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Patience, detangle

destine2grow

When u ladies do your rollerset do u roll up or down? What does the difference in direction mean for the curl? Thank u in advamce!

ckisland

Curlybeauty, you hair looks like it came out very pretty. You did a good job your first time :yep:.

Here's some pics of the braid n'curl I did earlier this week.

I am so freaking bipolar about my hair :lachen:. I think I want to bun again :spinning:. My hair's actually in a bun as we speak :rolleyes:.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
When u ladies do your rollerset do u roll up or down? What does the difference in direction mean for the curl? Thank u in advamce!

this is a good question that i don't know if i'd really be able to answer well.:look: i do know that rolling up helps with getting roots straighter.
bumping for more help for you!!

@curlybeauty and ckisland, lovely sets!
i just did my first flexirod set-i may post pics soon as i upload them. borrowed my little sister's camera just to take some hair pics. :look:

nymane

@ckisland: I mostly roll under/down, but I roll a few in the nape area over for a more secure hold.