Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

I should also mention that i do not comb out my curls - i shake them out and sometimes hang the curl pins to them to drop them down a bit and wear the "curly curly" style.

Me too. After those years of the pin-straight look, I really appreciate having some body, curl and style. I usually just rub Biosilk or Redken Glass in my hands and run my hands over the curls a bit to blend them.

Pics of the set I recently did, I was quite pleased with this.

@ Sunshine One Your rollerset is nice! Do you comb the ends during the week our keep the comb out of your hair? How do you prevent your ends from getting tangled? That is the problem that I've been encountering.

@ Sunshine One Your rollerset is nice! Do you comb the ends during the week our keep the comb out of your hair? How do you prevent your ends from getting tangled? That is the problem that I've been encountering.

I try not to use the comb much at all. My hair remains smooth for a good portion of the week. To maintain the curl I either use pin curls, flexi rods or satin rollers.

You might need to have a look at what you're using as a leave in, perhaps it's not moisturising enough?

@Cream Tee what products did you use exactly for that fab set!!!

what size rollers are those?

I use Pureology leave in. Although it's perfect for my fine relaxed hair, it is very light though, so it may not be suitable for thicker relaxed hair or naturals. I've also been using Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade, only a touch on the mid length to ends as it is quite heavy and to seal I use Orofluido oil (it's like Morrcan oil).

I use a mixture of rollers, normally red and green though.

Cream Tee, your hair is absolutely lovely :love:
You've inspired me to stop lazing around and actually go and set my hair tonight...

:lol: perfect for me Cream Tee.

My hair is relaxed and fine :yep:

I'm so torn on leave-in's, and I didn't know folks were sealing their hair for sets :look:

Off to look up pureology and to dig up my argan oil :)

I won't be setting my hair this week, but it is so tempting after seeing these pitchas!!!

somebody help me decide what to do with my hair tonight!!
flexi-rod set?
perm rod set?
braid n curl?

Thanks Rocky91 :)

Yeah a flexi rod set sounds good. What I like about flexis is you don't need to keep them in for that long for the curl to set (well in my experience).

Are you going out tonight? :D

Cream Tee Napp thanks guys, but I already got lazy and did a braid n curl. :/ hopefully it stays nice the entire week.
and no, I didn't go out-all about the homework this weekend, unfortunately.

who's setting tonight??

I'm getting bored with my hair right now, and getting an itch to flat-iron my hair.

No direct heat on my hair until May, and my ends are suffering I believe from trying to bun my hair :nono:

I'm going home tonight, and I will snag some foaming pomade from my mom to give it a try, and set my hair this week. I miss my curls...

i am gonna rollerset my hair today. i pressed my hair last week and got caught in the rain twice and then accidentally wet my hair in the tub because someone didnt close the shower knob properly. i tired to revivie it but i really want some pin curls. i think i will rollerset, lightly flat iron and then pincurl.

oh and Rocky91 i bought the ultrasheen super setting lotion and diluted it 50% and put it in a old bath n body hand sanitizer foam pump. it works like a charm! i think i will have enough "foam wrap" to last me the year!

acutally i notice the ultrasheen setting lotion foams better undiluted. it gives me better hold undiluted too so i am gonna use it that way from now on.

also im thinking of using these kind of rollers next time
snap_on-1-1-2.jpg

the magnetic stretched my hair out but left it too crinkly. i used 2 inch and 1.5. my hair dried quickly enough with the 1.5 so i am gonna stay with then until i really really need bigger rollers.i think rollers with grips might be better for type 4,non-silky natural hair.

i ended up just getting more magnetic rollers. i could not find the cage rollers in the store. i also did a ponytail rollerset today. i will be posting pics later. i want a dryer but i cannot even think about buying a salon dryer at this point. i will just have to stick with my blowdryer attachment for now.:sad: i think i will save up for a salonrus dryer and reward myself with a new dryer at the end of the semester.

also i think i prefer setting on damp hair instead of soaking wet hair. my hair is less frizzy because the product is more concentrated. also if any non silky 4a naturals are having issues getting a smooth set try using a thick serum on damp hair. i used smooth n shine straighten polish on my damp hair and i almost believed i was a silky 3b while i was rolling. my hair just laid out:lol: i only realized this around the end as i was rollersetting. when i used it on wet hair the serums "clumping" effects are diluted and dont work as well.

Last edited:
i ended up just getting more magnetic rollers. i could not find the cage rollers in the store. i also did a ponytail rollerset today. i will be posting pics later. i want a dryer but i cannot even think about buying a salon dryer at this point. i will just have to stick with my blowdryer attachment for now.:sad: i think i will save up for a salonrus dryer and reward myself with a new dryer at the end of the semester.

also i think i prefer setting on damp hair instead of soaking wet hair. my hair is less frizzy because the product is more concentrated. also if any non silky 4a naturals are having issues getting a smooth set try using a thick serum on damp hair. i used smooth n shine straighten polish on my damp hair and i almost believed i was a silky 3b while i was rolling. my hair just laid out:lol: i only realized this around the end as i was rollersetting. when i used it on wet hair the serums "clumping" effects are diluted and dont work as well.

I bought this ionic Babyliss dryer last year from Folica with 25% off (current code is Mar25). It's no Pibbs I guess, but works out well for me. Dries well and leaves my hair soft and shiny. I am up to red and grey rollers (1.5" and 2" I think) and they fit under there fine. You can tell how smooth my hair is in the uncombed rollerset pic in my sig. I couldn't afford a Pibbs and since my tabletop dryer never worked, I didn't see the point in spending $50-60 for another one. This was a great compromise and paid for itself after a few sets and DCs.

Wondering if that smooth n shine polish would work for wash 'n go? Have you tried it? My hair gets big and frizzy with everything I use, so finding a W&G solution is one of my goals for this year, esp. now that I've been more successful with texlaxing since I started mixing in condish and oils. I am getting a consistent curl pattern, instead of straight here, curl there, z in the middle.

I bought this ionic Babyliss dryer last year from Folica with 25% off (current code is Mar25). It's no Pibbs I guess, but works out well for me. Dries well and leaves my hair soft and shiny. I am up to red and grey rollers (1.5" and 2" I think) and they fit under there fine. You can tell how smooth my hair is in the uncombed rollerset pic in my sig. I couldn't afford a Pibbs and since my tabletop dryer never worked, I didn't see the point in spending $50-60 for another one. This was a great compromise and paid for itself after a few sets and DCs.

Wondering if that smooth n shine polish would work for wash 'n go? Have you tried it? My hair gets big and frizzy with everything I use, so finding a W&G solution is one of my goals for this year, esp. now that I've been more successful with texlaxing since I started mixing in condish and oils. I am getting a consistent curl pattern, instead of straight here, curl there, z in the middle.

that dryer is still expensive! i might as well get the salon r us....:sad:

i actually want to use this for a wash n go.i havent tried it yet but on damp hair it clumps my curls almost like a gel. its awesome.:yep: i don't remember why i stopped using it. also when i used it for pressing my hair i never had heat damage.

that dryer is still expensive! i might as well get the salon r us....:sad:

i actually want to use this for a wash n go.i havent tried it yet but on damp hair it clumps my curls almost like a gel. its awesome.:yep: i don't remember why i stopped using it. also when i used it for pressing my hair i never had heat damage.

True, expensive is relative, so I wasn't sure what was too much to you. I figure it paid for itself in 3-4 rollersets and I don't trust too many people with my hair, anyway. People always want to improvise. :nono:

I'm going to try EcoStyler in Argan when my local Sally's finally gets it. But if that doesn't work, I'll try the smooth n shine. Is it by Garnier? Thaks for the reply. :grin:

Good for you!

I did one W&G and one wrap this week. I give my hair (or myself?) a break for a few weeks after perming and then coloring (now henna, loving it).

Does the wrap count? I'm going to rollerset Monday.

Hmm I dunno how good it is really. I love rollersetting, but it is a lot of manipulation for me, so I'll just continue with setting my hair once a week. The smoothness normally lasts until my next wash anyway.

I really need to focus on retaining now, so the less I'm handling my hair the better. :yep:

Very neat! How long does it take you to air dry in rollers?

I dont know how long it takes.i just keep them in for a long time. Next time i will sit under the dryer. I used plastic hair elastics and i knew those wouldnt stand up against the heat. Plus i didnt like staying at home waiting for my hair to dry. It was my day off so i didnt mind but usually i dont have the time to lounge about and airdry.

Back