Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

missjones

Well I'm not in the challenge :look: but I did a flexi rod set. Minor fail :ohwell: Next time I'll use smaller rods and do smaller sections.

Angelicus

The pictures in this thread are very beautiful.

I am under my salon hair dryer (I love my daughter) with gray 2" and green 3" rollers. I figured that if I wanted long hair I might as well pretend that I have it already by using huge rollers. When my hair is dry. I will add more serum to the new growth and flat iron my hair (new growth only).

I did a length shot this past week and I was not happy. It's just been at the same length all year. But I hope conditioning and roller setting weekly will help.

SuchaLady

That set never happened earlier this week. :look: but I washed and DCed with SE Cholest. and set my hair on the big gray and purple rollers I just got. I used NTM leave in and it did pretty well as a leave in (sucked big time as a moisturizer but I decided to try it on wet hair) And I rolled. Now let me tell you the actual rollerset looked a hotmess but I dont go for the curly look. I just use it as a way to air dry my hair :yep:

AfroKink

I just rolled in 1 hour and 6 mins! That's a record for me.

I just gotta cut 21 mins off my time and I'll reach my goal :)

Off to sit under my Pibbs. Have a great Monday!

LushLox

Hi ladies :)

I'm just about to start my hair. I might put a teeny bit of Lottabody in my spritz as I want long lasting curls. I may post pics if it doesn't look too bad. :look:

sistatv

I've been lurking all up and thru here! :lachen: I just finished washing and detangling my hair and I have decided to just GO for it... If this goes well I will officially join the challenge.... I'm Natural 4a/4b just APL in my longest layer... I have no idea if this will work! Wish me luck!

sistatv

Alright so I did it and it turned out far from perfect but I am still very pleased!! :yep:Here is my info

Starting Length/Goal Length: SL & APL / BSL

Why You Rollerset: I'm trying to challenge myself to do something different with my natural hair. I also like the challenge of perfecting the perfect rollerset technique and style option. I really like curly hair with lots of body and I am hoping rollersetting can do that for me.

How Often: I'm aiming for 2x a month but if I can get it done 1xs a month I'll be happy

Products: For my first attempt I uses Taliah Wajiid Crinkles and Curls, Garnier Fructis Smoothing milk, and Coconut Milk Anti- Breakage Serum. I also had applied a leave in mix right after washing... I think I put to much stuff on it.. :look:LOL

Techniques/Tools: Pink & Black magnetic rollers & a vintage soft bonnet dryer I bought! I was nervous about the soft bonnet dryer but it worked great. It probably dried all my hair in about 1hr but I was nervous about it being damp in places, and watching a movie so I just left it on for about and 1hr 45min. Based on your tips I did set it to cool for like the last 10 mins. I slept in the hard rollers cause it was late!

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: You can do it!! I did it for the first time last night... It was not perfect but I am proud of myself for even trying... I watched a million Youtube videos and was all up in thru every LHCF roller setting post but I did it! Thanks for all the advice and help offered in this thread

Attachments

• Picture 55.jpg
    Picture 55.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Picture 56.jpg
    Picture 56.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 58.jpg
    Picture 58.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 100

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Back to the basics!

I need help. How do you know which direction to roll the hair? I tried this morning and lord knows if I did it correctly. I am sitting under the dryer now but IDK if it's going to turn out right.

Curlybeauty

I will be doing a HOT on dry hair, co washing, DC, and then doing a set today. Definitetly using a bit more product (especially hold).

LushLox

Lawd my last rollerset was a disaster, I won't be using Lottabody again. :nono: I used the tiniest amount but my hair was still a tangled mess. I was lucky that I didn't lose too much hair. In future if I want hold I'll just use my Aveda Phomollient which works fine.

Oh well! I'm doing another set tonight, hopefully I'll get my usual soft results!! :look:

niknakmac

^^^ I hate lottabody too it doesn't matter how little i use as soon as i put it in my hair the outcome is hard, dry hair.

I did my roller set saturday afternoon. I got my time down to 50 minutes! i was so excited that i was under the hour mark. Ladies i have not used my blow dryer or flat iron in 2011 at all! i'm hyped. my hair is feeling really good too. I am predicting it is going to grow, grow, grow!

xmasbaby78

I am not please with my rollerset this morning...I saw too many broken pieces, it may be time for me to start using bigger rollers or maybe I just got up on the wrong side of the bed:perplexed

Charz

Sinister Minister
I love rollersetting! I rollerset every Sunday! Aveda Anti-Humectant is awesome for this, it took me 35 minutes to rollerset using this last time!

ItsyBitsy

I love rollersetting! I rollerset every Sunday! Aveda Anti-Humectant is awesome for this, it took me 35 minutes to rollerset using this last time!

I have this in my stash. I never thought to use it for rollersetting! Do you use this instead of a serum?

albane

Here is my contribution

Starting Length/Goal Length: waist, waist
Why You Rollerset: movement in the hair, nice texture and shining, my husband loves it
How Often: twice a week, once in salon after work, once home in week end
Products: minimum, conditioner Schwarzkopf
Techniques/Tools: big mesh rollers 2 ", sometimes 3" velcro or magnetic
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: be patient, seek help to roll if you have long hair (I started with a cleaning lady, then a friend, then my husband), do not be afraid to put a LOT of rollers, willingly accept the dryer step, do not be ashamed facing your husband or neighbours or friends - you do this to please them

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Hi, ladies! :wave:

Thank goodness for this thread! I have decided to lurk to get some much-needed rollersetting tips. I completely suck at traditional rollersetting with the magnetic rollers (like ... seriously :ohwell:). But hopefully with a bit of practice, I'll get the hang of it. My goal is to not use any kind of direct heat until September 2011 (or maybe even beyond).

With that said, someone in another thread posted this girl's tutorial on how to rollerset natural hair. Her hair came out looking sooooooo fantastic, she has given me renewed hope that I can embrace rollersetting and get it to work for me. She really made it look easy too:

YouTube - Roller Set and Silk Wrap on Short Natural Hair - How To

Hopefully, this will help somebody out there like it surely helped me. I look forward to being able to share photos with you guys really soon. :grin:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
hey everyone!
sorry for not checking in as regularly, been super busy lately.
me: I'm in a weave, i've been rollersetting it and my hair to blend. works well. good to see everyone's doing great!

Curlybeauty

So I finally did a set today and I was under the dryer FOR-FREAKING-EVER!!!!

I'm finally free from the stepping stone to hell (my dryer)

And i'm about to oil up my hands and seperate the curls. Actually...I might just go a head and oil them without seperating and pin curl them tonight. I doubt i'm going anywhere today...

I need a new dryer. Seriously looking at the Pibbs, but I just don't have that kind of money right now...so the saving begins. I hope these tax checks do me some good :look:

Or i'm going to be HURT in more ways then one.

I did a HOT with EVCO on dry dirty hair
washed with biotin and giovanni poo
dc'ed with elasta qp soy oyl
applied this mix of conditioners, braid spray, oil, and water as a leave in
applied HH LTR to each section as well as vitale foam wrap
rolled and went under for almost 4 hrs :blush:

SN: I HATE the foam wrap, the spray concoction MAY have been a bit much, and I refuse to give up my rollers cause I love the curls they yield. New dryer is it...

However, my set is nice and bouncy, not weighed down, and i'm glad that my hair is out of my way for yet another week :yay:

destine2grow

^^ I'm also looking for a dryer. I think I am going to get the pebco, it seems like a nice alternative for the pibbs.

ladytee2

Hi, ladies! :wave:

Thank goodness for this thread! I have decided to lurk to get some much-needed rollersetting tips. I completely suck at traditional rollersetting with the magnetic rollers (like ... seriously :ohwell:). But hopefully with a bit of practice, I'll get the hang of it. My goal is to not use any kind of direct heat until September 2011 (or maybe even beyond).

With that said, someone in another thread posted this girl's tutorial on how to rollerset natural hair. Her hair came out looking sooooooo fantastic, she has given me renewed hope that I can embrace rollersetting and get it to work for me. She really made it look easy too:

YouTube - Roller Set and Silk Wrap on Short Natural Hair - How To

Hopefully, this will help somebody out there like it surely helped me. I look forward to being able to share photos with you guys really soon. :grin:

Her hair came out nice. I was surprised that JC foam did not make her hair hard. I bought that Creme of Nature Argan oil foam but I did not use 1/4 of the amount she used. I always try to do less is more. I wonder does the foam help keep the hair smoother on the rollers?

Curlybeauty

Her hair came out nice. I was surprised that JC foam did not make her hair hard. I bought that Creme of Nature Argan oil foam but I did not use 1/4 of the amount she used. I always try to do less is more. I wonder does the foam help keep the hair smoother on the rollers?

it does...it keeps it slick ans smooth on the roller :yep:

but it did look like a lot :look::look:

Curlybeauty

So I was the last poster in here, so let me revive this bad boy.

That set that I did on the 11th is still holding up like its day 1 hair :yay:

It seemed like a lot of product but I have no flakes, and its so bouncy. Here is the real kicker, I have been working out daily, and it's as if I just took the rollers out :spinning:

Today in the gym, this guy with dreads :drool: asked me how the heck my curls are still bouncy and in tact :look:

I shrugged it off and said i'm wondering the same thing :lol:

It was a lot of junk in my hair, but this has been the best set by far. I also tried out the anchor method with this set, and it is definitely a keeper :yep:

I maintain (and probably the reason why it looks nice now) bu pin curling the hair at night. Hopefully I will be able to hold onto this style for all of next week too, but if not...I will be bunning it up on air-dried hair. I like to alternate between roller sets and buns so I don't abandon the challenge...and to give my arm a break :grin:

Happy Roller Setting Ladies!!!

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I'm thinking about maybe using my Curlformers to set my hair, then doing the saran wrap method under the dryer to complete the straightening. My biggest problem with traditional rollersetting is the fact that I can't pull the rollers taut enough. But the Curlformers pull my hair taut right down to the root. I figure if I use the Jane Carter Wrap and Roll Foam with the Curlformers, maybe that combo will work to straighten my hair. It's worth a shot, right?

I think I will try this experiment this weekend.

Last edited: