Transitioners support thread

Creatividual

Ladies I am so glad this thread made it back to the top of the forum. I was on the ledge of relaxing (bought relaxer today). I think I may invest in the maxiglide. These days, I'm limited on time and I just need something to get me over this relaxer bug. I really want to complete this natural journey, but sometimes my patience wears thin and relaxing seems so much easier. I'm taking the relaxer back to the store tomorrow and reinvesting in a maxiglide. Thank you ladies just for sharing your experiences.

Try wearing half wigs. They are quick and easy and you have a good hair day every day. They are getting me through my transition something lovely!

chitowngal330

Congrats! Your hair is beautiful!

ONE YEAR TODAY!!!! :yay::dance7:
I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. I still plan on evaluating my long term goals and styling options to determine whether I'll texlax again or not. It is a good, free feeling though! Oh, and I do want a BACA one of these days :grin:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

i've been trying to resist the flat iron in an effort to thicken/strengthen my strands...thin ends are so yesterday!..my stylists blows me out first and she's kinda rough...she's dominican, i'm gonna have to tell her , in my best broken spanish, to ease up, because i think she's tearing out my progress - literally. i had my hair pressed 2 weeks ago, it turned out well, took longer than flat ironing, but this lady was also rough and she didn't part my hair in sections and stuff...are there no gentle stylists? This is soooo disheartening...so i'm really trying to just wash and bun, wash and bun, but it's hard for a fashionista, ya know? to be continued....i miss my hair.

crazydaze911

i've been trying to resist the flat iron in an effort to thicken/strengthen my strands...thin ends are so yesterday!..my stylists blows me out first and she's kinda rough...she's dominican, i'm gonna have to tell her , in my best broken spanish, to ease up, because i think she's tearing out my progress - literally. i had my hair pressed 2 weeks ago, it turned out well, took longer than flat ironing, but this lady was also rough and she didn't part my hair in sections and stuff...are there no gentle stylists? This is soooo disheartening...so i'm really trying to just wash and bun, wash and bun, but it's hard for a fashionista, ya know? to be continued....i miss my hair.

Have you ever tried flatironing yourself. i suck at rollers and styles but i was able to flatiron my hair in like 1/2 hour with the maxiglide. besides that - ive been through many many stylists (mostly dominican) since age 16, looking for someone gentle..... and i found her!!!! the only one i will let blow dry and flatiron my hair. If i need someone quick and cheap in a crunch, i will go to almost anyone who can do rollers and JUST DO ROLLERS. also - you can ask ur stylist to just do the roots of ur hair and then wrap it.

hairedity

I'm out ladies. BC'd over the weekend. So I transitioned for a total of 7.5/8months. I'm still in the braids challenge.
Good luck w/your continued journeys!

ajoyfuljoy

Hi everyone. My name is ajoyfuljoy and I have decided to try my hand at transitioning!

I am currently 2.5 months post and I think that braiding my hair under a half wig and flat ironing once a month will be the name of my game. I plan to prepoo, wash, do a light protein and dc at least one time a week.

I have many products for relaxed hair that I need to get through (including a lot of my mother's hair products who just passed away). I am unsure whether I should use them up or just get rid of them. I think I will try my best to use them up during this process.

Last edited:

Eisani

Hi everyone. My name is ajoyfuljoy and I have decided to try my hand at transitioning!

I am currently 2.5 months post and I think that braiding my hair under a half wig and flat ironing once a month will be the name of my game. I plan to prepoo, wash, do a light protein and dc at least one time a week.

I have many products for relaxed hair that I need to get through (including a lot of my mother's hair products who just passed away). I am unsure whether I should use them up or just get rid of them. I think I will try my best to use them up during this process.
:bighug: Welcome to the transitioners' club! I wish you and your hair all the best :)

ajoyfuljoy

:bighug: Welcome to the transitioners' club! I wish you and your hair all the best :)

Thank you so much! I feel that I've joined a secret club!

As of last night doing my hair from prepoo to putting the half wig back on took me 3.5 hours from start to finish. But the more I'm transitioning I'm finding out that my hair is really coily. I try to make sure I detangle very well so I won't have any knotting problems.

One time last year when I tried to transition, I thought I wouldn't need to detangle b/c my hair was coily in a pattern so that meant it couldn't get tangled, right?

Well I forgot to account for shed hair! After several weeks of doing that I had single knot strands all throughout my hair. That was such a nightmare! I'm quickly learning what my hair likes in terms of detangling. My detangling session last night was much better than the one last week :)

I use my special squirt bottle and put olive oil (with orange essential oil in it) on on my scalp then massage it in. Then I use Sally's Generic Potion #9 and massage that into NG and relaxed hair. Then I take some Elasta QP mango butter and olive oil, mix it together and put it on my NG and relaxed hair. My hair likes this. Once I detangle and braid, I take more mango butter and put it on the last couple inches of my hair so it stays soft.

Also, my hair seems to really like Elasta DPR 11. I put it in my hair and it was like my hair instantly obeyed lol! For whatever reason this is my hair's DC of choice, followed by ORS Replenishing.

last night I used DPR 11, Suave coconut condish, some other random stuff I'm trying to get rid of, honey and castor oil and my hair was so happy. I apply my condish like a relaxer and have my scalp, NG and relaxed hair totally saturated, then DC for 30 min. under my Pibbs. I hope to buy a steamer soon to treat my hair :)

Also, when my hair air drys (without being in braids) my new growth is very soft and has a nice sheen to it, but my relaxed hair feels kind of yuck. I never realized how many magical products I have to put on my relaxed hair just to keep it happy. I'm really looking forward to this learning experience and to learning more about my hair!

Last edited:

LovelyRae

today I am totally trying to resist the urge to bc

I hear ya! I am trying to resist too. I went out last night with my girls and my hair was a mess, I just really want to cut all the relaxed ends off, but I am scared that I may not like it, so I guess I am still gonna keep transitioning.

ajoyfuljoy

I hear ya! I am trying to resist too. I went out last night with my girls and my hair was a mess, I just really want to cut all the relaxed ends off, but I am scared that I may not like it, so I guess I am still gonna keep transitioning.

Don't worry, it will be worth it soon :yep:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

okay, so i'm experiencing some breakage on relaxed ends. do i protein treat it with something like the aphogee hard stuff? i wasn't getting this at all up until last month. i trimmed my ends, so i don't know what's causing it. my hair feels moisturized and i've been bunning for the last month, too. i did a press for the first time about 3 weeks ago...the natural hair feels fine, growing out nicely, but it looks like the breakage is coming from the ends. i have ors replenishing pack and aphogee hard protein and aphogee 3 minute reconstructor...what do i go with?

Duchesse

Hello ladies! I'm officially joining the club.

I'm actually quite depressed about my hair. In Dec 06, I BCed to about 1/2 inch of hair, and my hair flourished for the first year of being natural. Then at the 14month mark, on a whim I threw a relaxer in my hair, and things have been downhill since.

Instead of having a healthy APL natural, I now have SL hair that has been breaking so much, and I can't stand the feel of my texlaxed hair, esp. when wet.

I look at my old pics, and I want to cry, my hair would have been so glorious if I let nature be.

I need to go to a RA meeting (relaxer anonymous) because I feel like I get addicted to it, even tho I know that it will always break my fine strands off.

I'm so resisting the urge to BC too quickly, I have almost an inch of newgrowth, but I would like to transition for at least a year, so i need all the support I can get!

Thanks for hearing my vent!

chitowngal330

Welcome! I'm sure your hair will grow back in no time! P.S. Please let me know the location of that RA meeting, b/c I may need to stop in. For some reason, now (11 months into my transition) I have had fleeting thoughts about the creamy crack... :lachen:

Hello ladies! I'm officially joining the club.

I'm actually quite depressed about my hair. In Dec 06, I BCed to about 1/2 inch of hair, and my hair flourished for the first year of being natural. Then at the 14month mark, on a whim I threw a relaxer in my hair, and things have been downhill since.

Instead of having a healthy APL natural, I now have SL hair that has been breaking so much, and I can't stand the feel of my texlaxed hair, esp. when wet.

I look at my old pics, and I want to cry, my hair would have been so glorious if I let nature be.

I need to go to a RA meeting (relaxer anonymous) because I feel like I get addicted to it, even tho I know that it will always break my fine strands off.

I'm so resisting the urge to BC too quickly, I have almost an inch of newgrowth, but I would like to transition for at least a year, so i need all the support I can get!

Thanks for hearing my vent!

Eisani

okay, so i'm experiencing some breakage on relaxed ends. do i protein treat it with something like the aphogee hard stuff? i wasn't getting this at all up until last month. i trimmed my ends, so i don't know what's causing it. my hair feels moisturized and i've been bunning for the last month, too. i did a press for the first time about 3 weeks ago...the natural hair feels fine, growing out nicely, but it looks like the breakage is coming from the ends. i have ors replenishing pack and aphogee hard protein and aphogee 3 minute reconstructor...what do i go with?

Bumping Br*nze's question. I have the same thing going on right now and was thinking about doing protein myself, which I usually don't like but my hair seems to be requiring something different now. I was thinking of using ORS Replenishing or K-Pak Reconstruct Daily Conditioner (lighter than the regular Reconstruct) mixed w/Jojoba conditioner and a bit of Wheat Germ to see if that'll help.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Bumping Br*nze's question. I have the same thing going on right now and was thinking about doing protein myself, which I usually don't like but my hair seems to be requiring something different now. I was thinking of using ORS Replenishing or K-Pak Reconstruct Daily Conditioner (lighter than the regular Reconstruct) mixed w/Jojoba conditioner and a bit of Wheat Germ to see if that'll help.

After I didn't get a response, I actually took a small amount of MT and ran it through my ponytail and a little along my natural hair...i left it in, did not wash it out, and so far, no breakage. I really couldn't decide which product to use. I also had Joico KPac, so after bunning my hair, not combing, I have no small hairs on my hand or anywhere else. This is really such a major deal. The coffee took care of shedding, but that breakage was really getting to me. So, I'll keep the Megatek in mind whenever i see those short strands. Hope this helps you, Eisani and anyone else~

Clazz E 2

There's a few of us in your time frame trying to transition without FAIL... Welcome, and if you need a buddy there's myself YummyC, Myxdchiick all in the 3-4 month range...so you are very close!

Let's get together and make this transition happen.:yep:

trinidarkie1

Hi All! I have finally made the decision to transition from relaxed to natural. I'm currently about 4 to 5 months post relaxer. I believe my last touch up was in July. To avoid the drama of the hair I've been wearing a lace wig and a regular wig, both assist me in avoiding the bad hair days.

Braiding is a thought right now, however, I just can't sit that long and I think I funny shaped head, so I am afraid that the braids won't look right *frown*

I've been examining my new growth and it's so coarse. I can't remember my hair like this, it's been 13 years that I've been relaxing, so it's like meeting my hair for the first time. My growth is awfully slow, I am not taking any supplements nor do I really plan to, but I've been watching my food intake and I'm hoping that that'll help to some extent.

MY relaxed hair has been breaking like no one's business. I've used the Glycerin and Moisturizing Conditioning sprays and mixes to assist in adding moisture, but I just think I may have to take the plunge and cut it all off.

Any suggestions? FYI, I don't really like half wigs. :(

MochaEyeCandy

I've been transitioning since March 1st, 2008. My hair is in kinky twists at the moment. I'm planning to take them down in about 2 weeks. I miss my hair. I'd like to transition for 2 years, but I'm already tempted to bc. I need to get all my ducks in a row before I go chopping anything. I have to stock up on curly girl friendly products and tools. I hope to have most of it by weeks end.

llahend123

Hi All! I'm currently transitioning and would like to join this thread. My last relaxed was in February 08. I have mixed emotions about transitioning. Due to medication I'm taking, I can't chemically process my hair. Therefore, I never thought it was really my decision to do this but something I was forced to do. However, I'm really liking my natural hair now and can't stand my relaxed ends.

I'm not ready to do any major chopping though. My hair is about 16" long, with about 7 inches natural and 9 inches relaxed. The trouble I'm having now is styles. I just haven’t found a lot that I like while sporting two different textures. I'm currently wearing a braid out. It's cute but I need to perfect it. I was flat ironing my hair but I'm just not feeling all of that heat.

Any suggestions?

trinidarkie1

Last night I combed out my hair, and I didn't get as much shedding but I still had major breakage. :(
My scalp oil mix was Black Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Garlic and Tea Tree Oil with remnants of that Oil we use, I forget the name. It comes in a white bottle with green writing. Anyway, my hubby gets in this morning and was like.. wtf! What is that smell! OMG! You coulda just said don't cuddle with you or some thing!'
It was soo funny! My scalp feels good and my ends are nice and moist because I sprayed my hair with Glycerin and Water.. and the conditioner and water mix.

CheLala13

I am so depressed right now about this hair. I'm 10 months post, just took out my braids last night and although my natural hair looks great, the relaxed hair is disgusting and I have ALOT of breakage. I actually thought I would be close to APL by now...HA! not even. Even worse, my hair can barely fit in a pony because of the shrinkage. I feel like I'm about to give up...wth am I going to do for Thanksgiving? I look like crap....

*end rant.

DaRealist

This is really a tough call.
I personally would go with the 2-min reconstructor, but that's because my hair doesn't like the hard proteins
How frequently do you use protein?
Maybe you need to increase your use of a mild protein.
Prior to my transition, I would use the 2-min reconstructor every week or every two weeks without problems
For my hair it worked to keep that good balance of moisture and protein pretty even.

DaRealist

This seems like a great idea and mix
Let us know how it works out because I am thinking I might have to try it.

DaRealist

Hi All! I have finally made the decision to transition from relaxed to natural. I'm currently about 4 to 5 months post relaxer. I believe my last touch up was in July. To avoid the drama of the hair I've been wearing a lace wig and a regular wig, both assist me in avoiding the bad hair days.

Braiding is a thought right now, however, I just can't sit that long and I think I funny shaped head, so I am afraid that the braids won't look right *frown*

I've been examining my new growth and it's so coarse. I can't remember my hair like this, it's been 13 years that I've been relaxing, so it's like meeting my hair for the first time. My growth is awfully slow, I am not taking any supplements nor do I really plan to, but I've been watching my food intake and I'm hoping that that'll help to some extent.

MY relaxed hair has been breaking like no one's business. I've used the Glycerin and Moisturizing Conditioning sprays and mixes to assist in adding moisture, but I just think I may have to take the plunge and cut it all off.

Any suggestions? FYI, I don't really like half wigs. :(
I'm using wigs to help me through the transition and I think this is what's helping me keep hair on my head.
I keep my hair in a few cornrows underneath the wig and moisturize my hair daily.
the daily moisture helps my new growth stay soft
Without it my new growth would feel very coarse as well
Is there a reason you don't want to continue wearing wigs?