Transitioners support thread

DaRealist

Hi All! I'm currently transitioning and would like to join this thread. My last relaxed was in February 08. I have mixed emotions about transitioning. Due to medication I'm taking, I can't chemically process my hair. Therefore, I never thought it was really my decision to do this but something I was forced to do. However, I'm really liking my natural hair now and can't stand my relaxed ends.

I'm not ready to do any major chopping though. My hair is about 16" long, with about 7 inches natural and 9 inches relaxed. The trouble I'm having now is styles. I just haven’t found a lot that I like while sporting two different textures. I'm currently wearing a braid out. It's cute but I need to perfect it. I was flat ironing my hair but I'm just not feeling all of that heat.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried rollersetting?
Like using smaller rollers and wearing a curly rollerset so the difference in textures isn't that noticeable?
Or rollersetting and then just flat ironing on a low temperature just the natural hair?
I think you could wear either of these styles for up to two weeks at a time if you pincrul at night or wear a bonnet

trinidarkie1

Da Realist, I get bored so easily and I am very hesistant about trying new things. I've been using this style of wig for about two years now and it works well for me, but I start to get antsy and want to fling it off by the middle of the day.

I'm looking at full weave styles to try for the rest of the winter. Half Wigs gave me a bald spot in the front, so they are no no's for me. I also don't like those attachable buns, because they don't look real enough on me.

DaRealist

I am so depressed right now about this hair. I'm 10 months post, just took out my braids last night and although my natural hair looks great, the relaxed hair is disgusting and I have ALOT of breakage. I actually thought I would be close to APL by now...HA! not even. Even worse, my hair can barely fit in a pony because of the shrinkage. I feel like I'm about to give up...wth am I going to do for Thanksgiving? I look like crap....

*end rant.
:hug2:
Don't give up CheLala
You've gone a long way so far, you can do it
Do you think you could rollerset your hair for Thanksgiving?
What about a braidout?

DaRealist

Da Realist, I get bored so easily and I am very hesistant about trying new things. I've been using this style of wig for about two years now and it works well for me, but I start to get antsy and want to fling it off by the middle of the day.

I'm looking at full weave styles to try for the rest of the winter. Half Wigs gave me a bald spot in the front, so they are no no's for me. I also don't like those attachable buns, because they don't look real enough on me.
Oh I totally understand getting bored easily
That's one reason I don't get braids because after a week or so I am ready for something new
Maybe you could try a different style wig to give you some variety

CheLala13

Thanks DaRealist awww you're so supportive. I really suck at rollersets, but I think I'm going to buy some small clip on ones and try that. I always use ones that are too big. We will see...
I love my natural hair, btw. I just wish it were longer so I could get rid of the straight ends!

trinidarkie1

CheLala your hair looks really nice in your av. IS that how it looks when it's blown out? Beautiful!

My hair looks wispy and discolored when I blow out. lol.

tyrablu

Hi ladies,

I have decided to transition. I started around the same time last year and chickened out. But this time I'm gonna stick with it :yep:

I don't wanna BC till about a year or so into my transition (I look horrid with short hair).

My last relaxer was in Aug. so I'm about three months in. I'm just basically rollersetting and doing a bun to get through this. I plan on getting a sew-in this weekend for about 3-4 weeks to give my hair a break.

Well that's all I have to add right now, I just need support, cause that relaxer is calling my name :look:

lila_baby

I am joining the thread because I am tired of relaxers- I lose a chunk of hair each time I relax and when looking at my childhood pics I have about 1/2 maybe even a quarter of the hair I used to have. My hair goes through phases where it hardly breaks and then it suddenly breaks like CRAZY. :sad:
I joined this board so that I could finally have long hair but at this rate I'll have only 2 long strands and the rest will be a short broken mess!
I also have no idea what my natural hair is like- I started relaxing quite late- around 13 or 14 but I always had my hair in cornrows before then so I really can't remember. :nono:
Not brave or PRETTY enough to BC so this will be a long and probably painful transition.
But this cycle of relaxing and losing hair seeing my ends chip off and crack off- I am soo through!

Sorry just wanted to vent! off to read the thread from the beginning.....

KPH

House Head
I'm joining. I was going to do a year long stretch but I will still probably have to be on the medication that is not agreeing with relaxers. I feel fine about it because I have always wanted to transition.

Ltown

Greyland
I'm joining and I'm so happy there is a group here to help me. I've transtion twice before but did the bc because I did not have the patience and there were not any boards or website back then to help a old girl like me:ohwell:. I've always self-relaxed and they never make my hair straights, no body and does not hold a style. burn, cause ezcema to break out. I think I'm 3b/c. Last relaxer was Oct and ready to try protective style, twist and whatever it takes.

CheLala13

CheLala your hair looks really nice in your av. IS that how it looks when it's blown out? Beautiful!

My hair looks wispy and discolored when I blow out. lol.

Thanks Trini. Actually that picture was taken in March. I didn't have much new growth, I just had it flat ironed. I'm getting it pressed this week!

ajoyfuljoy

just wanted to bump this. came back here b/c I'm feeling weak already! I bought the relaxer today, it is a shame I know. I want to transition but part of me is afraid that taking care of my natural hair will be more difficult and that I will have a hard time retaining length. I retain length easily with relaxed hair. So this is my dilemma.

I have the relaxer sitting by my front door so I can take it back. I just bought some Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 and I want to spray my scalp every night in hopes that my NG will be easier to detangle.

*sigh* we'll see.

MichL

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. Consider me officially joining the club.

I hit seven months on Saturday! Yay!!!!

vivEz daNs lamouR

I'm fast approaching nine months, everything is going really well! I'm going to do a protein treatment this weekend though since I haven't done one in a VERY long time. I'll probably clarify also, because of the cowashing and the products I use I get buildup faster than usual.

Welcome to all the new transitioners!!!!!

LovelyRae

just wanted to bump this. came back here b/c I'm feeling weak already! I bought the relaxer today, it is a shame I know. I want to transition but part of me is afraid that taking care of my natural hair will be more difficult and that I will have a hard time retaining length. I retain length easily with relaxed hair. So this is my dilemma.

I have the relaxer sitting by my front door so I can take it back. I just bought some Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 and I want to spray my scalp every night in hopes that my NG will be easier to detangle.

*sigh* we'll see.

Oh Please don't give in...you can do it! I know how you feel, but just continue to hang in there, it will get easier. I am a true testiment as I used to get relaxers every 4 weeks, and now I have hit month 7 post relaxer and I am starting to hit cruise control on this transitioning thing.

I_shure_do_wish

I feel really uplifted posting in this thread means to me Im making a major step. Im 3 months in my transition and more confident than ever consider me part of the club!

chelleyrock

I've been contemplating this for awhile (even before my last relaxer). I'm currently 4 months post and have been wearing twistouts for 2 months. My new growth is crazy but I think I'm falling in love with it...I think I'm gonna do it. :yep:

SignatureBeauty

Do You all think you will need a New 2009 Transitioners thread? I see this has 1999 post and it could be used as an Archive! I am just making a suggestion, because alot of newbies are joining, if not it is okay! LOL!!

Eisani

Do You all think you will need a New 2009 Transitioners thread? I see this has 1999 post and it could be used as an Archive! I am just making a suggestion, because alot of newbies are joining, if not it is okay! LOL!!
I think that's a good idea, actually. This one is a bit overwhelming :grin:.

Nuelle

It's really difficult to navigate through this thread. It is overwhelming actually, which is why I bumped this old thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=70110&highlight=

A new support thread is certainly needed, but I think the thread above would be a nice complement to it, so that those looking for regimens can find it easily. Hopefully others will join. I'm working on a new regimen, so I will try to post soon. :peace:

The Girl

Well, I am loving my transition except sometimes the shrinkage makes it look shorter than when I have a fresh press/flat iron.

FAMUDva

It's really difficult to navigate through this thread. It is overwhelming actually, which is why I bumped this old thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=70110&highlight=

A new support thread is certainly needed, but I think the thread above would be a nice complement to it, so that those looking for regimens can find it easily. Hopefully others will join. I'm working on a new regimen, so I will try to post soon. :peace:

Thanks for bumping the other thread. I stopped coming to this thread because it was soo overwhelming. :spinning:

ajoyfuljoy

Oh Please don't give in...you can do it! I know how you feel, but just continue to hang in there, it will get easier. I am a true testiment as I used to get relaxers every 4 weeks, and now I have hit month 7 post relaxer and I am starting to hit cruise control on this transitioning thing.

Thanks for the encouragement. I got to get my detangling issue down pat. Hopefully this week will be better than last week.

Yall ladies doing seven months? Hats off to ya. I need to find some detangling tips and maybe I'll be able to hang. But this thread is a monster and I'd be reading forever!

Oh well, off to page one :wallbash:

MissMusic

So, I was natural and then I relaxed, I regretted it two months later, but I told myself that I would give it a year. Well I have and I want my natural hair back! So, I'm joining you guys!

My SO would not appreciate me chopping it all off, even though that's when I love my hair the best. So, I'm gonna transition until my natural hair is smack dab in the middle of SL and APL when Stretched. Now, I'm off to stalk all of your fotki's :yep:

ajoyfuljoy

So, I was natural and then I relaxed, I regretted it two months later, but I told myself that I would give it a year. Well I have and I want my natural hair back! So, I'm joining you guys!

My SO would not appreciate me chopping it all off, even though that's when I love my hair the best. So, I'm gonna transition until my natural hair is smack dab in the middle of SL and APL when Stretched. Now, I'm off to stalk all of your fotki's :yep:

Congratulations and welcome :grin:

babygrl79

I've been transitioning for only 3 months now and I'm experiencing shedding. Can you please suggest a good conditioner and moisturizer. Please Help!

mightycute912

My last relaxer was on 9/7/08. I have 3 months in my transitioning. I want to give up. My hair is so think and the pic in my signature is the day I cut my hair from BSL to SL and relaxed it. My biggest feat is I suck at braiding and doing hair. I don't wear weaves or wigs, so I feel lost. I need some help.:wallbash: