Twisting FOR Growth Challenge Part 2

oooop2

:nono:I fell off. I've been wearing a wng. I haven't detangled my hair in about two weeks. Just co-washing every morning.:nono:

My puff is HUGE though

What...I remember when you were nervous about wearing your hair exposed...What happened to make you have a change of heart??

donewit-it

What...I remember when you were nervous about wearing your hair exposed...What happened to make you have a change of heart??

Well it's still in a puff off of my face, so I'm able to handle it better.

I was just watching VH1 Soul Stage with Erykah Badu and her wig. I wish I could wear my fro out. Some day:grin:

anherica

Beautiful braids!!! This is how my DD wears her hair but I have moisture problems with them :ohwell:

What will you do to keep them up while in??
How will u moisturize and with what??

Thanks!!
To keep them up, I've just been using a satin scarf at night. Rinsing my scalp as needed, and an obligatory wash every week because of the shea I use. It can build up.

I've been using my trust shea butter mix to moisturize. I just made this new mix a little looser (added more oil) so it will melt into the braids easier. My one stop moisture and seal. Hair is feeling fab!

Jaxhair

Took out my extensions a week and a half ago, wore hair lose for 2 days, twisting in the evenings but got tired of that, so had tucked in twists for a week which I transitioned into braids this evening for a wash and I'n DCing overnight. Plan to wear it in the braids till tomorrow evening's braidout for an event I'm going to, after which I'll start installing new extension braids. We're falling in love again, so I'll keep that going. I've not felt overwhelmed, but then again, I've not really done much to cause tangles this time. I'm even scared of henna treating - just using MT to wash for now and then doing a second wash with HE HH or HE twisting one (purple), then DCing with AO HSR. I believe that's enough protein for now, lol. Will update if I do any different.

donewit-it

Last night I finally got around to doing my hair. I did about a 1/2 hour pre-poo with olive oil and put hair in sections. I then went into the shower to wash with ORS Aloe Shampoo. Came out and deep conditioned under the steamer with Nacidit conditioner for about 40 minutes. After I detangled and rinsed out. I put my hair in about 20 large twists. Total time was about two hours.

This morning I pulled my twists into a ponytail and came on it to work.

Surprisingly I didn't have a bad time detangling or losing hair after not having done it for two weeks. Maybe tonight I finally try to curl my ends in rollers to wear a TNC. No promises though!

oooop2

I've been getting a lot of questions about how I twist and detangle my hair, so I decided to post this:

My dry large twist. About 25.

I wet my hair w/ cool water until it's completely saturated.

Once hair is completely saturated, apply about 1-2 TBSP of favorite condish (mine is Herbal Essence Hello Hydration-blue bottle) throughout hair. Must be a condish that provides great slip. This condish will be used as a leave-in.

I then untwist my hair 1 twist at a time and in a slow downward motion (about 5-6 times), I loosen up my strands and remove shedded hairs. Once done, I apply Qhemet Alma Oil Nourishing Pomade to my strands and retwist. I also use my favorite homemade shea butter mix for this process. Just need to use something that provides your hair w/ additional moisture and can be used also as a sealant. I then proceed to the next twist until all of my hair has been detangled and retwisted.

I lose very little hair detangling this way. I also make sure to work through any tangles/mattes with my finger so tangling isn't an issue. My hair stays nice and moisturized for days. If I desire to make smaller twist, I just untwist my large twist 1 at a time and make them smaller. And if I want to rock a cute TnC, I just apply rollers to the ends after I detangle/retwist, and untwist in the morning.

I love the versatility of my hair. Here is what my hair looks like after detangled and retwisted. Process takes me about 20-30min. I can do this every 2-3 days or once a week.

rsmith

Donewit-it I really would like to see your big afro. Let that Afro free and embrace who you are. I cant wait until mine get big.

Thanks OP2. that was a helpful post.

donewit-it

Rsmith, you are funny. Right now it's in large twists, so over the weekend, probably tonight I will take them out and wear a twist out. I'll take a picture for you:grin:

Jaxhair

My 2 weeks of loose (ish) hair are over, I started braiding last night. I've thoroughly enjoyed my hair these past 2 weeks, wearing big fat twists (approx 15), twistouts, braids and braidouts, and people have been paying compliments, making me feel good about my hair. Will update my fotki with these when I'm done with the braids and that'll be my July entry ;-).

Ooop2, thanks so much for sharing your detangling routine - seems so easy! Just one question - do you wash first before detangling and retwisting, or is wash day completely different? If so, could you please share the steps?

Donewit, I'd love to see your BAA too!

Ms Lala

HELLLLLOOOOOO!
:blush:
:nono:
:look:
:ohwell:
:perplexed
:grin:
:lachen:

LOL!!! Sorry I've been out of town and didn't really have internet access. My hair is doing good. I have been wearing med. size twists the past 2 weeks. I"m not doing the small twists again for a while, they were so hard to get out the last time. Everyone complimented my twists and said my hair looks like it's growing. It looks like it has stayed the same length for about 2 years to me but maybe it has grown some.

miss Congeniality

I am still wear my twist. I had to trim my hair, my ends were looking terrible. I think this is the healthiest my hair has been in a long time.

donewit-it

Rsmith and Jaxhair,

This is the best fro I could come up with...:nono:

the last picture is my safe pulled back puff. Going to work this morning 7/13/09

Last edited:

donewit-it

I do see my hair growth progress. Everyday viewing, no. but when I compare pictures. Yes definitely.

Let me see if I can show you.

July 2009

Sorry if they are too big.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

I do see my hair growth progress. Everyday viewing, no. but when I compare pictures. Yes definitely.

January 2009

July 2009

Your hair texture is so pretty. I like your curls!!!

rsmith

Donewit-it

Oh I love your hair. It is sooooooooo luscious and thick. It has good shine and moisture. You are really taking care of it. Good progress. I twisted my hair last Sunday. I didn't want to because I am truly tired of them. However, I no it's going to be worth it to see the growth. After the challenge, I know I will wear my hair out for a while and try some rollerset styles but I know I will return to the twist.

Jaxhair

Luscious afro Donewit! I'd rock that with pride, lol! Looks very pretty in a puff too, and it's definitely grown heaps since January. Keep doing what you're doing girl!

oooop2

My 2 weeks of loose (ish) hair are over, I started braiding last night. I've thoroughly enjoyed my hair these past 2 weeks, wearing big fat twists (approx 15), twistouts, braids and braidouts, and people have been paying compliments, making me feel good about my hair. Will update my fotki with these when I'm done with the braids and that'll be my July entry ;-).

Ooop2, thanks so much for sharing your detangling routine - seems so easy! Just one question - do you wash first before detangling and retwisting, or is wash day completely different? If so, could you please share the steps?

Donewit, I'd love to see your BAA too!

Hey..On wash days, I add baking soda to my poo. Saturate hair w/ water and apply this mix to hair. Concentrating on my scalp/roots. I then make sure all of this mix is washed out before applying my condish. Once condish is applied, I follow the steps noted in the previous post.

January 2009

July 2009

Love your hair. So lush. And I DEFINITELY don't feel like my hair is growing. Hence why pulling out my measurement shirt is always a pleasant surprise.

Today is July 15th.

One MO' month!

YEAH!! I can't wait to see everyones progress. Hopefully there is a good amt of growth. If not, at least good retention!!!

Hope everyone is doing well. Currently wasting time before boarding my plane out of Japan. I can't believe that after 3.5yrs living here I am leaving.

Now my NEXT challenge is going to be what am I going to do with my hair. I grew my hair out of necessity b/c no one here could do it. Now I am going back to a place where my barber is located....Decisions!!!

Jaxhair

Thanks Ooop2, I'll give your method a try.

Your hair is so beautiful, I hope you continue to grow it long when you get to the US. Wish you a safe journey back, hope it all goes well as you start again.

donewit-it

Over the weekend, I had my hair twisted by Patient1. It looks good.

I will try to post pictures tonight. Hopefully they will last for the next two weeks

productjunkie814

Donewitit :blush: OMG I LOVE YOUR HAIR.

Safe travels Oooop2! Hope your move is a smooth one!

JaxHair - Are you still in small twists?

I've been washing my hair on Saturday and putting in about 8 flat twists. I keep them in all weekend and fluff out on Monday for work. I don't think I've been doing them right, but it hasn't turned out too bad, lol. At night, I do big twists and bantu knot them. I've been able to rock the style through thursday and then I wng until Saturday. I'm going to finally go out and get smaller rollers so that I can try out a proper twist and go. I can't do them with flexis anymore; they just don't come out right.

One more month!!!

Jaxhair

productjunkie814, i'm actually back in braids with extensions. works better for me at the moment than twists. wanna keep going till december then re-evaluate and possibly continue till next summer when i'll have more length and thickness for styling cute without extensions.

miss Congeniality

Right now I have the front of my hair in cornrows and the back in twist. I can't wait to take my hair out this weekend and deep condition my hair.

Jaxhair

Still sporting my braids. 2 weeks down, 3-6 more to go! Must say though, I was looking through my fotki pics yesterday and I loved how my twists looked in April/May and may just do a set between these braids and the next set of braids.